Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PRESEASON GAMEDAY THREAD: BENGALS@REDSKINS

SkinsGuy

I missed the entire game, what is the executive? Here's what I gathered from reading the thread:

Robert Davis makes the team on another bomb from Haskins.

Offensive line looks like a weakness.

Harmon was open on that bull**** offensive pass interference call.

Adrian Petersen had a decent night.

Did we play our starters on the O and D lines to start the game?

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Listening to the beat guys, reading comments, the thing that Haskins has to master is protections.  If they don't think he can slide protections, etc when needed, i am guessing he won't start.

There's no way the Johnson mastered all the protections last year in 2 weeks.  They tailored the offense and simplified things for him.  

They need to spend the next 3 weeks figuring out how to do that for Haskins.  And give him a set of plays, put him in hurry up, use a lot of motion and switches, be creative, run the ball (just not ALWAYS on first down) and figure out how to make it work.

Honestly, they should have done that from the day after he was drafted.  I know the scenario was different, but when the 'Skins took RGIII i the 2012 draft, Mike Shanahan immediately said that when you spend that much on a QB, they are going to start right away, and it was his job to get him ready to start.  So they created a modified version of their offense for Griffin, worked with him, and got him ready to play.  

There's nothing I have ever seen which leads me to believe this coaching staff would want to do that, or even be capable of doing it for any player.  

There are ways to make the offense easier.  It might not be fancy, but it can be effective.  And as he learns, he gets to do more and more and more he gets to do.

It's the coaching staff's job to get the best player ready to play.  They can't win anything with Case.  It's just not going to work.  Colt is always hurt.  That leaves Dwayne.  The sooner they recognize that and start really committing to him and tailoring an offense to him and getting him comfortable, the better.  

I get that the deck is stacked against him with the OL issues.  But again, Bill Walsh created the WCO in Cincinnati BECAUSE he had a crappy OL.  So there are ways to overcome these things and be productive if you want to, and the players have the talent and aptitude.  And I think Dwaye has both.  

2 minutes ago, Stadium-Armory said:

I missed the entire game, what is the executive? Here's what I gathered from reading the thread:

Robert Davis makes the team on another bomb from Haskins.

Offensive line looks like a weakness.

Harmon was open on that bull**** offensive pass interference call.

Adrian Petersen had a decent night.

Did we play our starters on the O and D lines to start the game?

Yeah, Case looked "meh." Dwayne started out ok, finished more slowly.  AP had like 3 carries, 2 were good, one got stuffed.

Perine looks like he is wearing cement shoes.

ST is going to be a problem.

The refs really stunk all night for both sides, but the majority of the real head scratchers were against the 'Skins.

McLaurin didn't play.  That was odd.  Quinn didn't play. He is hurt.  Richardons didn't play.  He is hurt.  In theory, that's your starting 3 WRs.  So ... make of that what you will.  

43 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

The rest of us are just fat and the wind can't pick us up so we pretend to like where we are.

I prefer to think of myself as gravitationally enhanced, both physically and the the 'Skins ;) - and, yes, I am also vertically challenged :)

Preseason doesn’t really mean **** but just looking at the box score...where are our arguably top Rb and took WR? Anyone else find it ridiculous Guice and McLaurin aren’t on the stat sheet?

I guess Guice isn’t officially cleared yet but still...what a joke. Where is McLaurin after hearing he is our best receiver in camp? :lol:

The PI call on Harmon was an indenfensibly terrible call.  And unfortunately it overshadowed what was actually a very impressive adjustment and play on an underthrow, which is a shame.

Harmon is one of the few positives on offense that I took away from the game.  I could be wrong, but I've got a good feeling about him.  He has a combination of toughness and real talent that none of our other WRs have.  I think there might be something special there with him.

I think he's got some JuJu Smith-Schuster in him.

3 minutes ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

they didn't suit up so no chance for stats

I see that now but it’s just ridiculous that two players that are supposed to be integral to our regular season succcess (Our #1 WR and #1 RB) have yet to play a down in preseason. I can understand Guice but how has McLaurin not played yet? 

And its not like they are veterans. Neither one has yet to play a regular season down. It’s not like we are the Patriots. 

3 minutes ago, Stadium-Armory said:

I remember multiple times in our history when the HC would tailor the offense to maximize the talent, especially the QB. That was cool.

I remember this guy Joe Gibbs who won SBs with 3 very different QBs and a myriad of different RBs.  The offense changed week by week...

I think he had some success, that guy.  Just a little.  Well, I guess enough to be in the HOF and wear 3 SB rings.  I guess that's good enough...

I used this quote before.  The best complement I think one coach has ever paid another was Bum Phillips of Don Shula:  "Don Shula can take his'n and beat your'n," Bum Phillips, then the Houston Oilers coach, once said in his Texas twang. "Or he can take your'n and beat his'n.

Best quote ever.  

3 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

The PI call on Harmon was an indenfensibly terrible call.  And unfortunately it overshadowed what was actually a very impressive adjustment and play on an underthrow, which is a shame.

Harmon is one of the few positives on offense that I took away from the game.  I could be wrong, but I've got a good feeling about him.  He has a combination of toughness and real talent that none of our other WRs have.  I think there might be something special there with him.

I think he's got some JuJu Smith-Schuster in him.

It was honestly one of the worst calls I've ever seen, and that's not just rose color glasses.  It was as bad as the call in the NFC Championship game last year.  THAT bad. Just not quite as meaningful.   

14 minutes ago, BayouBrave86 said:

Preseason doesn’t really mean **** but just looking at the box score...where are our arguably top Rb and took WR? Anyone else find it ridiculous Guice and McLaurin aren’t on the stat sheet?

I guess Guice isn’t officially cleared yet but still...what a joke. Where is McLaurin after hearing he is our best receiver in camp? :lol:

...neither played tonight. That would be why they aren't on the stat sheet. 

25 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

There's no way the Johnson mastered all the protections last year in 2 weeks.  They tailored the offense and simplified things for him.  

They need to spend the next 3 weeks figuring out how to do that for Haskins.  And give him a set of plays, put him in hurry up, use a lot of motion and switches, be creative, run the ball (just not ALWAYS on first down) and figure out how to make it work.

Honestly, they should have done that from the day after he was drafted.  I know the scenario was different, but when the 'Skins took RGIII i the 2012 draft, Mike Shanahan immediately said that when you spend that much on a QB, they are going to start right away, and it was his job to get him ready to start.  So they created a modified version of their offense for Griffin, worked with him, and got him ready to play.  

There's nothing I have ever seen which leads me to believe this coaching staff would want to do that, or even be capable of doing it for any player.  

There are ways to make the offense easier.  It might not be fancy, but it can be effective.  And as he learns, he gets to do more and more and more he gets to do.

It's the coaching staff's job to get the best player ready to play.  They can't win anything with Case.  It's just not going to work.  Colt is always hurt.  That leaves Dwayne.  The sooner they recognize that and start really committing to him and tailoring an offense to him and getting him comfortable, the better.  

I get that the deck is stacked against him with the OL issues.  But again, Bill Walsh created the WCO in Cincinnati BECAUSE he had a crappy OL.  So there are ways to overcome these things and be productive if you want to, and the players have the talent and aptitude.  And I think Dwaye has both.  

Yeah, Case looked "meh." Dwayne started out ok, finished more slowly.  AP had like 3 carries, 2 were good, one got stuffed.

Perine looks like he is wearing cement shoes.

ST is going to be a problem.

The refs really stunk all night for both sides, but the majority of the real head scratchers were against the 'Skins.

McLaurin didn't play.  That was odd.  Quinn didn't play. He is hurt.  Richardons didn't play.  He is hurt.  In theory, that's your starting 3 WRs.  So ... make of that what you will.  

You are comparing Jay to Bill Walsh?

Jay doesn't have the skills to do it.  He's going to go with Case, because his job is on the line and he feels Case would be better than Dwayne.  In reality, that's not the case but Jay isn't going to spend the time to do that.   Jay knows he's a on a very short leash.      Dwayne will get the chance, after we start out 1-4 or 0-5. 

41 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I guess Robert Davis will be a Hall of Famer soon

That's the spirit! 

9 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

...neither played tonight. That would be why they aren't on the stat sheet. 

Alex Smith was awful in the last 7 games of the season last year. It's like he didn't even play! 

2 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

You are comparing Jay to Bill Walsh?

Jay doesn't have the skills to do it.  He's going to go with Case, because his job is on the line and he feels Case would be better than Dwayne.  In reality, that's not the case but Jay isn't going to spend the time to do that.   Jay knows he's a on a very short leash.      Dwayne will get the chance, after we start out 1-4 or 0-5. 

No, I'm saying the WCO, which is the basis of Jay's offense (Tracing the tree, it's Walsh to Holmgren (Walsh's QB coach in SF, then OC)  to Jon Gruden (With Holmgren in GB) to Jay Gruden) was created out of a necessity because the OL in Cincy, where Walsh was an OC, was horrendous.  

The foundation of the offense Jay runs was based on the concept of quick throws to protect the QB from a porous OL.  

So what I'm saying is the coaching staff SHOULD get Haskins ready to go, because going with Case is a losing proposition anyway.

Going with Case is the "safe" choice, but honestly I think it's also the one that seals the deal on Jay.  They won't win with Case.  So, why choose the safe option and lose anyway?  

You choose the better option then you figure out how to protect him and make him productive.

If you can't do that, then you're shouldn't be coaching in the NFL anyway.  

So just finished the recorded game.

very impressed with Haskins! All I can really ask for is flashes, and he flashed.

Taking into account he’s a 1 year collage player, I find it incredible he can come in and flash anything good. A few throws where great. I also see a smart player, dumping the ball off to avoid sacks, hell, there are qbs that don’t do that after 3 seasons. 

Think it’s a safe bet the D is going to be great.

The bad

coaching, sorry but it’s been a cluster Mess.. special teams, wth? 

This coaching staff is a bunch of wimps, the way they call games, o and d ...

the o line, nuff said, zero run blocking

At this point, I say 

Start Haskins 

I don’t see us winning 8 games, so out with the old in with the new

Haskins

Mclrn’ 

Harmon

All start

Make sure Guice gets allot of touches

Basically play the younger players, trade blue chips for picks

and stop half azzing the rebuild, this is the year to train the younger players up, but our front office and lame duck coaches are hanging on too hope for continued employment, so they can’t just write the season off, which puts us another season behind....

This front office, and coaching are hideous...

HTTR ! 

1 hour ago, Skinarchy said:

So just finished the recorded game.

very impressed with Haskins! All I can really ask for is flashes, and he flashed.

Taking into account he’s a 1 year collage player, I find it incredible he can come in and flash anything good. A few throws where great. I also see a smart player, dumping the ball off to avoid sacks, hell, there are qbs that don’t do that after 3 seasons. 

Think it’s a safe bet the D is going to be great.

The bad

coaching, sorry but it’s been a cluster Mess.. special teams, wth? 

This coaching staff is a bunch of wimps, the way they call games, o and d ...

the o line, nuff said, zero run blocking

At this point, I say 

Start Haskins 

I don’t see us winning 8 games, so out with the old in with the new

Haskins

Mclrn’ 

Harmon

All start

Make sure Guice gets allot of touches

Basically play the younger players, trade blue chips for picks

and stop half azzing the rebuild, this is the year to train the younger players up, but our front office and lame duck coaches are hanging on too hope for continued employment, so they can’t just write the season off, which puts us another season behind....

This front office, and coaching are hideous...

HTTR ! 

And Ryan Finley torched our asses on 20-26 efficiency for 150 yards and 2 TDs? Where was he drafted? And yeah.... our staff is a reach. If Jay can’t run the ball, we’re screwed. Honestly, I won’t be surprised if we have the first pick in the draft next year. When we win this year, it will be 9 to 6. Haskins is nowhere near ready to play and it reflects on Gruden. Our opponents read him like a juicy tabloid. They just feed on it.

YUP...the seasons over, no way this team can win, after all if you lose in the pre-season with your backups in, with most of your starting offense not even seeing the field, it's obvious we are finished!!! :) 

I don't know which is better; guy's talking super bowl after a dominant win in the pre-season, or...#1 draft pick after a lose??? SMH

I don't see how this team is gonna be ready for the Eagles.  How do you get any rhythm the way Jay manages the preseason?  And yeah, he's not alone around the league in not playing people, I get that.

The Mclaurin thing is baffling.  I appreciate he's a stud in practice, but just putting him on ice like he's a vet All-Pro seems dubious.

1 minute ago, max21 said:

What is the deal with Mclaurin not playing? This dude must be really good 

Jay mentioned in his press conference that mclaurin came down on his tailbone in practice during the week, probably could’ve played tonight but they held him out, but should be good to go for next week 

2 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Jay mentioned in his press conference that mclaurin came down on his tailbone in practice during the week, probably could’ve played tonight but they held him out, but should be good to go for next week 

Thanks didn’t see that, I was like damn this dude is the truth for a rookie not playing in preseason 

8 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Man, why was FedEx so empty tonight? Is it just cause it’s august, or is this how it’s going to be all season at FedEx? I’ve been to plenty preseason games and have never seen it as empty as it was tonight. 

It took awhile, but the leadership of this organization has successfully decimated a good majority of a passionate fanbase.  

Archived