Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PRESEASON GAMEDAY THREAD: BENGALS@REDSKINS

SkinsGuy

2 minutes ago, Burgold said:

It is the refs. It's also the Tampa connection.

It's an "AND" problem. It's not one thing. It's all of the above. The refs certainly screwed the Redskins over and over again. Even with a replay opportunity to get it right they screwed the 'skins. That shifts it from bad calls to malicious calls.

I can get behind this.

1 minute ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Only time will tell.  

That 6-3 was very sketchy.  The three good teams they played blew them out. They were losing when Smith got hurt.  Might they have made the playoffs minus a few key injuries?  Maybe.  I rather doubt it.  But at 6-4, they might have managed to win 2-3 more games.

Remeber, the defense was figured out by mid-season.  And there weren’t many injuries on defense.  They were primarily on offense.  But the defense collapsed the back half of the season.  

Mark Sanchez came in to be our QB. That alone will cause a team to check out. His best play was handing off to AP for a 90 yard TD run. it was all down hill from there.

1 minute ago, NewCliche21 said:

Yep, some fans come and go like the wind.

The rest of us are just fat and the wind can't pick us up so we pretend to like where we are.

I don't know. I just keep finding those swirling winds. I think I'm going on a ride and I wind up right back where I started.

@bakedtater1

First, why was there a @bakedtater2 when I was trying to tag you?  Weird.

Second, dude, don't try to defend the Redskins here.  They are our family, our world in some respects.  We're allowed to call out when they're bad when they're bad and we're allowed to celebrate when they accidentally win a game.

You're amongst friends, don't make it "With us or against us" or take any of this stuff personally.  :cheers:

I think we all want to be surprised, but when Allen is still here after 10 years of misery and Jay doesn’t change his system for the players, then you start to feel that ugly feeling in your gut that we are all feeling now. 

10 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

minus Alex Smith and some others, this is the Redskins who were 6-3 under Jay last season. I'm no Gruden lover but I do know the injuries killed our season last year and I think they have more talent than most realize. This defense will be the difference cause we are gonna run the ball a lot and I like the sound of that cause I love me some AP.

As bad as Smith was, he’s better than all 3 they currently have. His ability to not turn the ball over was valuable for a team with such an anemic offense. Case, Colt, and presumably Dwayne turn the ball over a lot and that’s how bad offensive teams get blown tf out 

Having that kind of drop off (even if it’s like a couple spots on the QB ranking list) is a HUGE deal. 

1 minute ago, NewCliche21 said:

@bakedtater1

First, why was there a @bakedtater2 when I was trying to tag you?  Weird.

Second, dude, don't try to defend the Redskins here.  They are our family, our world in some respects.  We're allowed to call out when they're bad when they're bad and we're allowed to celebrate when they accidentally win a game.

You're amongst friends, don't make it "With us or against us" or take any of this stuff personally.  :cheers:

I messed up and stared another account named bakedtater2..I've been around long enough to learn not to take things personally I get a kick out of everyone's response to these pre season losses and it's the end of the world and fire the coach..its all funny to me and I just try to throw in my 2 cents that's all

Just now, bakedtater1 said:

I messed up and stared another account named bakedtater2..I've been around long enough to learn not to take things personally I get a kick out of everyone's response to these pre season losses and it's the end of the world and fire the coach..its all funny to me and I just try to throw in my 2 cents that's all

All right man, just make sure the mods know since we're not supposed to have two accounts regardless of reason.  They're usually fine about it.

In gameday threads (GDT's), it's just saying on a keyboard with other fans what you'd say at the game or at the bar or at someone's house.  It's for that moment and that moment only.

Anyway I have to hit the hay.  Except the hay will probably hit me and then they'll flag ME for PI.

Night all.

1 minute ago, kingdaddy said:

Mark Sanchez came in to be our QB. That alone will cause a team to check out. His best play was handing off to AP for a 90 yard TD run. it was all down hill from there.

Yeah, I'm not sure i buy that.  The defense was putrid against any good offense, and then Manusky was figured out because he's a "meh" coordinator.  His players started to call him out.  The whole thing collapsed because it was a poorly coached unit.  

They have more talent this year and some better position coaches.  But the "meh" coordinator is still in place, so we have to see.

There is no reason to give anybody in this organization a benefit of the doubt.  20 years of Snyder, 10 years of Bruce, 6 years of Jay.  They've all had plenty of time, and have, so far, all failed.  They haven't earned any benefit of the doubt.

If they go out and win 10+ games, then they should get a tip of the cap.

However, over the years we've seen an undisciplined team which isn't ready for the regular season.  We saw the beginnings of that tonight. 

Personally, I think there IS talent on this team.  I think the defense has talent.  I think they have some skill position players, who if used correctly, could be very productive.  OL is a question mark.  So is QB. However, a smart coaching staff can figure out how to get the most of the players they have, and put something productive on the field.  The question is, can this staff do that?  I don't know.  They haven't shown it yet.  So we'll just have to wait and see.  

10 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

when they accidentally win a game.

I've seen the last 20 years.  They haven't accidentally won ****.  When they win it's a herculean effort.  

The Patriots accidentally win games.  Play like dog poop for 58 minutes and steal one at the end.  That's accidentally winning a game.

The 'Skins have to scratch, claw, beg and plead for wins.  

2 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Personally, I think there IS talent on this team.  I think the defense has talent.  I think they have some skill position players, who if used correctly, could be very productive.  OL is a question mark.  So is QB. However, a smart coaching staff can figure out how to get the most of the players they have, and put something productive on the field.  The question is, can this staff do that?  I don't know.  They haven't shown it yet.  So we'll just have to wait and see.  

I think that Jay's teams have consistently underperformed relative to their talent. I guarantee the D did under both Haslett and Barry, but I'd contend the O did, too. Our playcallers can't do do chess. They're still working on mastering Chutes and Ladders.

1 minute ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I've seen the last 20 years.  They haven't accidentally won ****.  When they win it's a herculean effort.  

The Patriots accidentally win games.  Play like dog poop for 58 minutes and steal one at the end.  That's accidentally winning a game.

The 'Skins have to scratch, claw, beg and plead for wins.  

I think that's one of the reasons that the Santana Moss vs. Dallas game is so memorable. We were poop for 58 minutes and then two magical bombs gave us the win.

8 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

As bad as Smith was, he’s better than all 3 they currently have. His ability to not turn the ball over was valuable for a team with such an anemic offense. Case, Colt, and presumably Dwayne turn the ball over a lot and that’s how bad offensive teams get blown tf out 

Having that kind of drop off (even if it’s like a couple spots on the QB ranking list) is a HUGE deal. 

If they start Haskins and they tailor a quick-game offense around him, use a ton of motion, running game, and fairly easy concepts, he won't throw INTs.  

If they try to have him run Jay's full offense, he's going to be a turnover machine.  

Colt is going to Colt if he plays.  He's a carbon copy of Rex Grossman.  Physically limited, but knows Jay's system.  Rex was physically limited, but he knew Kyle's system.  They are the same person, except Colt is faster and gets hurt more. But he does the **** it, I'm going deep thing just like Rex.  He just hasn't played as much.

Case has a noodle arm.  So he's going to get picked off.

Interestingly, the best chance for fewer turnovers is probably to play Haskins, but be smart about it, and bring him along slowly.  

3 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

If they start Haskins and they tailor a quick-game offense around him, use a ton of motion, running game, and fairly easy concepts, he won't throw INTs.  

If they try to have him run Jay's full offense, he's going to be a turnover machine.  

Listening to the beat guys, reading comments, the thing that Haskins has to master is protections.  If they don't think he can slide protections, etc when needed, i am guessing he won't start.

33 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

Yall throw in the towel when ever ya want on this team but im here for life..

I've spent the entirety of my 20 years of fandom on the team. We've sucked my entire life. Ashes to ashes, trash to trash.

3 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I think that Jay's teams have consistently underperformed relative to their talent. I guarantee the D did under both Haslett and Barry, but I'd contend the O did, too. Our playcallers can't do do chess. They're still working on mastering Chutes and Ladders.

The most dissapointing season to me was 2016, which is when I would have canned Jay.  It wasn't just the complete egg they laid in week 17 to get into the playoffs.  It was the entire back part of the season when they played bad teams and lost.  Arizona.  Carolina.  and Finally the Giants.  And a lot of it was self inflicted.  They had a really potent offense.  However they hired the absolute worst defensive coordinator in the NFL to replace the second worst defensive coordinator in the NFL.  And they had the worst 3rd down defense in the history of the league.  That's coaching.

The whole thing that year was just awful.  I said it BEFORE the Giants game.  If they lost that game, they needed to fire Jay and Joe and immediately promote McVay.  I also would have probably let Kirk walk after that instead of doing the second round of the franchise tag game.  But maybe with a new coach, you figure something out.

However, here we sit, after 2 more disappointing season hoping we can maybe get to 9-7.  

3 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I think that's one of the reasons that the Santana Moss vs. Dallas game is so memorable. We were poop for 58 minutes and then two magical bombs gave us the win.

Yeah, that's a very special game.  I'm not sure I would count that as lucking into a win.

The only "accidentally" won game  I can think of was against Dallas.  The 2006 game when the FG was blocked, ST21 pick it up, ran it back, got a facemask, and whatshisnugget kicked a 50+ yard FG to win.  THAT is accidentally winning. 

Archived