Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Space: 'Mad' Flat-Earther to Launch Himself 5,000 Feet Up on a Homemade Steam Rocket Sunday

China

• 5 months later...

I’m sure everyone will react with shock to this news:

(CNN)Daredevil "Mad Mike" Hughes died during an attempt to launch his homemade rocket Saturday. 

"Our thoughts and prayers go out to Mike Hughes' family and friends during this difficult time. It was always his dream to do this launch, and Science Channel was there to chronicle his journey," the Science Channel said in a statement. 

Hughes was scheduled to launch his homemade rocket for a new Science Channel series called "Homemade Astronauts," according to the Discovery Channel website.

Hughes and Waldo Stakes built a steam-powered rocket with the intent of launching Hughes 5,000 feet into the air, the website said

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/22/us/science-channel-mike-hughes-dead/index.html

8 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

Anyone find it ****ed up that the “Science Channel” gave this dude a platform for his very obviously stupid idea that ended in death? You can’t save people from their own stupidity but giving them a platform is maybe not the best idea.

Yes, 100% this. 

I think they we're hoping hed prove himself wrong and show their transparency of him either refusing to accept it or have indisputable evidence from someone like this to help counter the flat earth cause. 

"Hey, we didn't miss the process or hide the results, we filmed the whole thing. Read 'em and weep."

But the earth isnt f'n flat and they had to know this guy was going to die trying to prove it was. And they gave him the platform anyway.  Let's face it, this was about ratings and publicity, and they cant stop people from still believing this nonsense or jus trying to do it better then him. 

What, they gonna film the next fool, too, and laugh to the bank about it? GD.

Science isn’t the process of knowing facts, it’s the process of testing thoughts.

I think that if he had of died flying in a wing suit for thrill, no one would bring up darwinism. But because he died using the scientific method to test a hypothesis we take for granted, he was mocked. I think he is an inspiration for rocket enthusiasts. It’s sad to see him go. Space is hard. So is the ground.

1 hour ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Science isn’t the process of knowing facts, it’s the process of testing thoughts.

I think that if he had of died flying in a wing suit for thrill, no one would bring up darwinism. But because he died using the scientific method to test a hypothesis we take for granted, he was mocked. I think he is an inspiration for rocket enthusiasts. It’s sad to see him go. Space is hard. So is the ground.

I disagree. The fact that the earth is roughly a sphere is not an untested thought or hypothesis, it’s been known and proven scientifically for thousands of years. The circumference of the earth was calculated by the ancient Greeks fairly accurately over 2,000 years ago. He was not an inspiration, he was reckless.

Youtube Video of previous launch (https://youtu.be/M0WmenDhtaY?t=1594) that is NSFW due to language.  

There is a video of the launch that killed him on Twitter.  The guy was a stuntman, and I really wonder why he did this.  I would describe the accident video as this, "his rocket goes up, the parachute detaches at launch and deploys near the launch site, the rocket continues flying on its trajectory and crashes to the ground."

How does this prove the earth is flat?  

7 hours ago, RansomthePasserby said:

I disagree. The fact that the earth is roughly a sphere is not an untested thought or hypothesis, it’s been known and proven scientifically for thousands of years. The circumference of the earth was calculated by the ancient Greeks fairly accurately over 2,000 years ago. He was not an inspiration, he was reckless.

You are missing the point completely.  Scientists test hypothesis. You and I don’t know the earth is round. We believe the earth is round. You can’t know something you don’t observe and test. You can only believe it.

He was testing that hypothesis so he could know the earth was round.

27 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

You are missing the point completely.  Scientists test hypothesis. You and I don’t know the earth is round. We believe the earth is round. You can’t know something you don’t observe and test. You can only believe it.

The real question is, if a tree falls in the woods and chewbacca is not around to hear it, must you still acquit?

32 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

He could’ve bought a plane ticket on Spirit for $26. He was an idiot who has unnecessarily inconvenienced whoever has to go out and scrape up the goo.

10 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

He could’ve bought a plane ticket on Spirit for $26. He was an idiot who has unnecessarily inconvenienced whoever has to go out and scrape up the goo.

possibly there are other ways to test his hypothesis that are safer. It doesn’t make him less of a scientist though. NASA has acted recklessly many many times, but they are still considered to be a respected science agency.

Archived