Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Space: 'Mad' Flat-Earther to Launch Himself 5,000 Feet Up on a Homemade Steam Rocket Sunday

China

'Mad' Flat-Earther to Launch Himself 5,000 Feet Up on a Homemade Steam Rocket Sunday

"Mad" Mike Hughes — a flat-Earther, rocket builder and daredevil who previously launched himself 1,875 feet (572 meters) into the air on a homemade rocket — will attempt to launch himself again to a much higher altitude this Sunday (Aug. 11). The attempt will be filmed by the Science Channel for the upcoming new series "Homemade Astronauts."

In March 2018, after a few failed attempts, Hughes successfully launched aboard his rocket and survived the trip, landing via parachute. The then-62-year-old Hughes walked away with some soreness and a compressed vertebra, he told Space.com. In the upcoming launch attempt, Hughes will aim for an even greater height:  5,000 feet (1,500 m). 

Hughes will lift off aboard a refurbished, improved version of the steam-powered rocket he launched last year. He told Space.com that he's using steam to propel his rocket because it is both inexpensive and relatively simple. "There's no fuel cost; it's water," he said. "Homemade Astronauts," which is set to premiere in 2020, showcases civilians who endeavor to build and launch rockets and equipment for spaceflight. 

Hughes again will take off from a mobile platform — another unique aspect of this home-brewed launch setup. In 2018, he launched "from the back of a motor home that I bought off Craigslist," he said, adding that this time, he will launch "on the back of a semi that was given to me." Sunday's liftoff will take place thanks to funding from hud, a casual dating and hookup app (yes, really), according to a press release.  

In coverage of his 2018 launch, media outlets reported that Hughes was launching to photograph the curvature of the Earth and "prove" that the Earth is flat. This was after Hughes told AP News, "I don't believe in science … There's no difference between science and science fiction."

Click on the link for the full article

1 minute ago, China said:

The attempt will be filmed by the Science Channel for the upcoming new series "Homemade Astronauts."

1 minute ago, China said:

This was after Hughes told AP News, "I don't believe in science … There's no difference between science and science fiction."

🤦‍♂️

6 hours ago, No Excuses said:

🤦‍♂️

I'm with you, this has no business on the science channel if he doesnt believe in science.  It's like giving Trump a camera because he says crazy ****, the Earth is not flat, like two weeks ago they had an all day special about the moon landing. Why are they giving this food this kind of platform?

4 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

I'm with you, this has no business on the science channel if he doesnt believe in science.  It's like giving Trump a camera because he says crazy ****, the Earth is not flat, like two weeks ago they had an all day special about the moon landing. Why are they giving this food this kind of platform?

Perhaps it's because they cater to a pro science audience that might enjoy watching a science denier creatively place himself in peril? 

9 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Would love to know what he thinks he'll get to observe from almost a mile up.

The same thing he could observe from a Cessna at the same height.  Or a hot air balloon.  Or about 1/3 as far as he could see from taking a flight on a jet at 50,000 feet.  

3 minutes ago, Larry said:

The same thing he could observe from a Cessna at the same height.  Or a hot air balloon.  Or about 1/3 as far as he could see from taking a flight on a jet at 50,000 feet.  

Yeah, it was kinda rhetorical but I figured renting a Cessna for a half hour would give him the same view.  

Anyway, this reminded me of the OG lawnchair flight guy, Lawnchair Larry:  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawnchair_Larry_flight

No flat earth agenda, just a man who wanted to fly.  And took sandwiches and beer along for the ride.  More my speed.

Remembering a poem I read as a kid.  

I shot a missile into the air.

It fell to Earth, I know not where.

Until the next day when, profound, 

the man it fell on came around.  

In less time than it takes to tell,

he showed me where that missile fell.

And now I do not greatly care

to shoot more missiles in the air.  

9 hours ago, Destino said:

Perhaps it's because they cater to a pro science audience that might enjoy watching a science denier creatively place himself in peril? 

Idiots cant tell the difference. 

Ok, that's harsh, but that's my problem with flat earth over any other pseudoscience, it's more conspiracy theory trying to say the science against it is wrong.  Even creationism has to accept Vatican believes in evolution, but flat earths will say stupid **** like pictures of earth from the moon were photoshopped, like they had Adobe in the 60s. 

When you put something like that on the science channel, it makes it seem like theres a legitimate debate, flat earth isnt a debate it's a cult of intentional ignorance.  Its why scientist dont like getting on stage and debating, it legitimizes it like they equal but arent playing by same rules.

The guy is a self owning troll you guys. He already shot himself 1800 ft up in the air and I have no doubt he has the mental capacity and physics knowledge to get the job done at 5k ft.

I agree with him, there is no different between science and science fiction except science fiction is science that scientists fantasize about turning into theory. What scientist hasn’t dreames of time travel? 

46 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Ok, that's harsh, but that's my problem with flat earth over any other pseudoscience, it's more conspiracy theory trying to say the science against it is wrong.  Even creationism has to accept Vatican believes in evolution, but flat earths will say stupid **** like pictures of earth from the moon were photoshopped, like they had Adobe in the 60s. 

I'm convinced that every single "flat earther" knows it's false and is doing it for yucks.  

They didn't just pick the most famous, most obvious, untrue thing by accident.  

Archived