Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PRESEASON GAMEDAY THREAD- REDSKINS @BROWNS

SkinsGuy

15 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

You were one of the people I was referring to. Fitting I guess.

What did you think last year after preseason game 1? How about 2017? 2016?

Were you all like “it’s only game one”, then watched them struggle to a 7 win season?

Why would you give THIS team the benefit of doubt?

3 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Is it too much to ask for to see a disciplined team that at least doesn't commit penalties every other play? Gruden's teams are never clean.

Gruden's teams lack continuity generally

12 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Is it just me or does the gameday thread just get worse with every game. People having full blown meltdowns about preseason game number one. Unreal.

I think it's pretty safe to say that the negative reactions don't exist in a vacuum. Twenty years of embarrassment, disappointment and brand erosion have a lot more to do with the gameday trend you're referring to than one bad performance in the first preseason game. 

That said ... it's the first preseason game. 

A good number of starters sat out but still that was pretty awful.  Holcomb and Moreland the only real bright spots.  If not for the play of those two, Browns would have scored 44.  Only Skins TD came from a badly blown coverage by the Browns.  

21 minutes ago, dyst said:

Is there ANY reason why Periene would make the team this season?

For some reason known only to a rogue band of Chilean monks, Gruden loves the guy. I haven't a clue why. Samaje "Zero yards in a cloud of dust" Perine endures. 

40 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Skins fans--before: "I hope we suck this season in order to get a higher draft pick next year...we're not gonna do anything this season anyway. "

Skins fans after one preseason game: "I can't believe how bad we suck! Get use to this, everyone...can we please get rid of (fill in the blank)?"

No Skins fan, anywhere, after one preseason game: "Whew...ok, we will indeed suck. I can relax now. That's good...this is exactly what I was hoping for."

Hah, wrong as usual.

They arent the same fans.  The first group of fans left and only comes on here from time to time, annoyed by the "we are going 11-5, Gruden and Allen are the best!" crowd.  The second fan is that crowd, seeing the truth.  But you beat up that straw man, I think you can take him!

1 hour ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

The Vultures are out no doubt. Save your venom for the real games guys, just looks silly in preseason. 

I was listing to the local radio station and this caller was so butt hurt about how the host were taking this game so positively when the Browns destroyed us. This caller didn't care if the main starters were not even playing. He just kept on harping how bad the Skins were today.

I hate to be this guys friend during the regular season. :rofl89:

6 hours ago, redrobert said:

The true tale of this game will be written next week. How the Coaches and Players respond will show us quite a bit on where we are.

That said, anyone else think the Browns and their fans acted like it was a Playoff game?

Why because they were actually having fun?  That's the Baker effect.  

The celebration on the punt return, you'd have to know the back story on the Sheehy kid which is written like a Hollywood script. 

Why wouldn't the Browns' players celebrate? For third stringers and even some second stringers this is their opportunity to show their worth and make their team. Their chance to climb the ladder. They dominated. They stomped us. They should feel good about that. Winning feels good. Supporting your teammates feels good.

They looked sharp, unified, and disciplined. Their receivers and qb were on the same page. Their routes were crisp and routinely got separation. Their oline blocked what was supposed to be a talented front seven. Defensively, they made Gruden look like a rookie head coach who'd never put together a team before. They made us look unorganized, hapless, and sub-vanilla. 

I don't know if it means anything, but I thought given the way the team gave up at the end of the 2018 season and because we'd have to likely start 2019 either with a first year qb or a back up who no one else ever tried to poach to be their starter that this would be an awful year. My prediction was 4-12. That wasn't based on talent. It was based on Gruden and Manusky wasting talent and being out game planned and not being able to build a cohesive disciplined unit. I still think we will underperform our talent level. I think we did yesterday.

8 hours ago, Fred Jones said:

I will end with - nothing I saw tonight changed how I see Haskins The Skins

Fixed that for you.  The bonfire of fans disappointment will keep raging until they see something worth cheering for, preseason or not.  There was very little to cheer for last night.  No water that shows this fire is anything close to contained or more under control than the last time they took the field. 

4 flags in 3 plays.  Only 2 real offensive plays with starting unit ( 1 busted coverage, one big run called back by penalty).  More embarrassment on special teams.  Its the same script that we see during the season, so the fact that it happens to not count this time does nothing to make me think it will magically change week 1. 

The team looked undisciplined, uninspired, uncoordinated, and unprepared.

I don't think its a coincidence that the few bright spots came from the NEWER players, the ones who haven't been here long enough to soak up the losing culture yet.

Archived