Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

!!!!0mgz!!!! Trent Williams finally showed up

Owls0325

33 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

This may sound crazy, but I dont think we should trade Trent even if he continues the hold out.

Duane Brown is a good example here in that he tried to force his way out of Houston, but the amount of fines and lost pay was about to get to a level of straight rediculous and he returned around midseason.  By then he should be more then well rested and hopefully fully healthy. 

The comparison to Brown may not apply. It sounds like Trent is willing to sit out all year and is financially secure. If he goes to a different team then he doesn’t need to pay any fines. The Redskins could go after part of his last signing bonus but probably won’t be able to recoup. 

4 minutes ago, skinsfan93 said:

The comparison to Brown may not apply. It sounds like Trent is willing to sit out all year and is financially secure. If he goes to a different team then he doesn’t need to pay any fines. The Redskins could go after part of his last signing bonus but probably won’t be able to recoup. 

So here's an interesting tidbit I found about why he actually ended his hold out (also with two years left and no guaranteed money)

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/duane-brown-returns-to-texans-after-lengthy-holdout-that-cost-him-millions/

It's no surprise that Brown decided to report now. To earn an accrued season on his contract, Brown has to be active in at least six games for the Texans. If he didn't hit that number, then the 2017 season wouldn't count toward his contract and he'd be locked to the Texans through the 2019 season. 

If I'm reading this correctly, Brown came back because if he didn't, he would've had to stay an extra season because he intentionally didn't play for one of them.  So if Trent held out for the entire 2019 season, he wouldn't be a free agent at the end of 2020 season, he'd have to stay until end of 2021 season.  He can't just not play and expect to hit free agency when he's supposed to, so if he wants to play football at all he won't have a choice but to do it for us if we don't trade him.  Either play for us so you can leave the right way via free agency or don't play at all.

3 hours ago, FrFan said:

Gruden is very optimistic he will return but says he's not sure what it would take to get him to come back ! :wacko::wtf:

Don't most holdouts end with the player returning to his team? Maybe that's why he's optimistic

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

So here's an interesting tidbit I found about why he actually ended his hold out (also with two years left and no guaranteed money)

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/duane-brown-returns-to-texans-after-lengthy-holdout-that-cost-him-millions/

If I'm reading this correctly, Brown came back because if he didn't, he would've had to stay an extra season because he intentionally didn't play for one of them.  So if Trent held out for the entire 2019 season, he wouldn't be a free agent at the end of 2020 season, he'd have to stay until end of 2021 season.  He can't just not play and expect to hit free agency when he's supposed to, so if he wants to play football at all he won't have a choice but to do it for us if we don't trade him.  Either play for us so you can leave the right way via free agency or don't play at all.

I think that the accrued season angle was discussed about 20-30 pages ago, I don't actually understand it myself, but someone said that he had already accrued the year. I never saw anybody challange this so assumed it was true.

20 minutes ago, London Kev said:

I think that the accrued season angle was discussed about 20-30 pages ago, I don't actually understand it myself, but someone said that he had already accrued the year. I never saw anybody challange this so assumed it was true.

Interesting.  If its true it will come up again, but that doesnt make sense to me, either.  At least, if I understand it correctly, even if hes covered one year somehow, he still has two left on his contract, so...

On 7/31/2019 at 11:49 PM, JSSkinz said:

Not sure how to take this, if Penn wants to play somewhere where he can start and he spoke with Trent before signing and still wanted to sign with us that doesn't sound good for Trent coming back.

That's apparently been verified and nobody should be expecting TW back in DC.

On 7/31/2019 at 11:50 PM, hatchetwound said:

I don't know how to embed tweets, but I just saw one from Dov Kleiman saying that the Redskins are in active talks with teams to trade Trent and there is a belief the patriots are interested.

This is also been verified to be FALSE. 

Current theme is that the Skins FO hired a consulting firm to investigate TW claims of negligence and that the claims were unfounded and no signs of negligence.  The had to do this as part of a CYA from a legal standpoint should TW decide to sue for Malpractice. 

TW apparently did tell Penn that he's not going to ever play for the Skins again and would retire if he's not traded...so the LT spot was his and to have at it...so, Penn decided to sign.  Don't ask me to post links or whatever because I don't have time for that BS. 

The unraveling of the TW saga looks like the Skins are set to call his bluff and fine him (which he says he doesn't care about), then ultimately make him pay back signing bonus money in order to retire (via law suit - hence the Skins CYA Medical Staff consulting evaluation). 

I've been over the TW crap from the early onset.  Moving on. 

9 minutes ago, skinsfan93 said:

How can Trent already accured a season if he hasn’t played one game? Regardless the issue  is moot when he is traded.  Trade his ass I’m done with Trent.

Skins FO can't do that and maintain integrity with the rest of the NFL or all the other guys on their roster.  They have to bring some pain to a player that refuses to live up to their contract or contracts no longer have any weight.  They have to at a minimum deliver some pain for this type of contractual issue for future contracts to be valid. 

25 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Interesting.  If its true it will come up again, but that doesnt make sense to me, either.  At least, if I understand it correctly, even if hes covered one year somehow, he still has two left on his contract, so...

He's under contract for two more seasons.  If he doesn't show up, he gets no credit.  Still owes the skins 2 years.  That's been discussed by a number of network analysts. If we think of it this way... He doesn't show up to play this year, he just doesn't get paid and continues to accrue fines.  Skins won't waive those fines unless he comes back and agrees to play out his contract.  Why would they? 

If he decides to retire, then he has to pay back the portion of the signing bonus he was paid in advance in order to do so.  This likely would be a law suit (as this has been done before and the player always loses).  Only way he doesn't have to pay it back is if he can prove Medical Malpractice in that first lawsuit and then goes after the Skins and Doctors for Malpractice...but wasn't any Malpractice. 

The Redskins hold so many cards in this situation it's hard to mess this up.

Not competitor team, need to rebuild... check

Wait it out through pre-season, while other teams lose players in all likelihood or lose faith in players and LT market builds...check

Have player under contract so really all he can do is mope/not play and not get paid...check

Player eventually realizes that if he doesn't report, he doesn't get the $$... Check

Really, it doesn't matter what TW wants, Skins should be able to do whatever they want. I hope they get some picks

Gruden saying that he doubts they'll trade Trent is a non-issue. What's Gruden supposed to say? "Yeah, we're kind of desperate to find someone willing to trade for him with the right offer. Right now it's all low-round picks, but if we admit that all the offers are low, nobody will be dumb enough to offer higher-value picks. Please don't tell anyone that the offers are low." Of course not. Mike Tomlin didn't do it for Antonio Brown, Gruden won't do it for Williams. If Trent comes back, he wasn't thrown under the bus so it's a win. If Trent gets traded, Gruden's in-depth commentary on whether one of his players gets traded still has no value.

Gruden is a glorified cheerleader when it comes to media commentary about FO moves. His one job is to not throw anybody related to the team under the bus. He did his job.

12 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Very little of this situation is adding up.

If you take all the pieces of this puzzle, you can't put them together.

It's almost like all the puzzle pieces are from completely different puzzles.

I do agree, Gruden is puzzled ;). I wish he would have said we want Trent to comeback and we're working on that. No need to share with the medias he doesn't know how. Sounds like BA doesn't tell him all the ins and outs imo.

"I’m still optimistic, very optimistic,” he said.

What makes you optimistic?

Gruden grinned.

“That will be the last Trent question I get today,” he said, his hands on the podium but his body already angled toward the door. “Thank you very much.”

Link

11 hours ago, Califan007 said:

So we’re just gonna gloss over the whole “Dunkin’ Donuts taste as good as Krispy Kreme” issue?...

Personally, I prefer Dunkin, but KKs are so good if you get them super fresh and hot.....

If we get a great offer, trade him.  If not, let him sit.

9 minutes ago, sempre_victrix said:

Personally, I prefer Dunkin, but KKs are so good if you get them super fresh and hot.....

If we get a great offer, trade him.  If not, let him sit.

KK is just basically the hot glazed donut, good but one dimensional.  Dunkin with much better coffee and more choices.

12 minutes ago, MariusVT said:

If they are serious about not trading. Danny should just send out another tv and say play or you'll be home until your contact expires in 2 years... Good luck.

If he doesn't play, his contract would never expire until he officially retires.  At least that's how I understand it

On 7/30/2019 at 1:29 PM, Peregrine said:

If anyone thinks us signing two tackles that no one else in the league wanted is keeping Trent up at nights, then they are pretty naive.  He knew full well that the team is capable of signing backups off the street and considered that when he decided to hold out.  That isnt a surprise to anyone and it doesnt change anything, and absolutely nothing hes going to do from here on out will be influenced by that.

And if he holds out the whole year, then its pretty obvious money doesnt even factor into his decision making.

He wont be here the whole year if he continues to hold out. And yes. Penn does influence his decision. Penn isnt Williams. But he isnt a scrub either.

1 hour ago, MariusVT said:

If they are serious about not trading. Danny should just send out another tv and say play or you'll be home until your contact expires in 2 years... Good luck.

It's Daniel around these parts, lol(he hates being called Daniel haha)

IB 

@incarceratedbob

This should be big week for Trent Williams rumors. #NFL Skins are attempting one last push to get him back into fold, if it fails you could see teams starting to make serious trade offers.

1:05 pm · 4 Aug 2019·Twitter for iPhone

The situation I don't want to happen is we are all still talking about this in 2 weeks time, I believe Trent Williams in my opinion has been 1 of the all-time Redskins greats, but 1 player does not make a team, if he doesn't want to be a Redskin then Trade him NOW not in 3 weeks just before the start of the season. 

HTTR 

Archived