Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Impeachment Thread

No Excuses

Impeachment  

198 members have voted

1. 1. Should Donald Trump be impeached for obstruction of justice?

1 hour ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I just have this feeling the enough GOP will defect and Bolton will come testify completely exonerating Trump.  Probably blame some lower level people.

Right, I don't trust the Republicans at this high level, they are too self serving and also won't go against Trump, the cowards.

1 hour ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I just have this feeling the enough GOP will defect and Bolton will come testify completely exonerating Trump.  Probably blame some lower level people.

It’s not possible to exonerate Trump at this point. He would be committing perjury and if he had information to exonerate him he would’ve testified in front of the House 

I still think it's interesting that Bolton finally announced he would be willing to testify immediately after Trump whacked Soleimani. I wouldn't be surprised if there's some kind of connection there. Whether it's part of a deal to exonerate Trump or that Bolton doesn't trust Trump to successfully prosecute his long-desired war with Iran. That he jumped out so quickly tells me it might be the latter

4 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

No way Bolton gets up in front of the Senate and lies under oath to protect Trump. Don’t see it.

How many defectors do we need to have enough votes to call witnesses? Four?

Agreed. The supporting testimony from Fiona Hill lays it out & provides the corroboration needed to support Bolton's statements. Hill was a phenomenal witness. 

Assuming witnesses will be called (including Bolton), do the lawyers on both sides get to question them before they appear before the Senate? 

46 minutes ago, EmirOfShmo said:

Agreed. The supporting testimony from Fiona Hill lays it out & provides the corroboration needed to support Bolton's statements. Hill was a phenomenal witness. 

Assuming witnesses will be called (including Bolton), do the lawyers on both sides get to question them before they appear before the Senate? 

And who do you think is listening to this testimony?  Trump supporters don’t care.  Everyone else already knows he is guilty as hell or is that much under a rock that they wouldn’t hear this either.  

I’m interested to know exactly what happened so I want to hear it for that.  But lets not kid ourselves.  All of this at the end of the day will just be a waste of money that won’t change a single vote.  We should have realized America was too far gone when we elected Trump in the first place.

16 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

And who do you think is listening to this testimony?  Trump supporters don’t care.  Everyone else already knows he is guilty as hell or is that much under a rock that they wouldn’t hear this either.  

I’m interested to know exactly what happened so I want to hear it for that.  But lets not kid ourselves.  All of this at the end of the day will just be a waste of money that won’t change a single vote.  We should have realized America was too far gone when we elected Trump in the first place.

Well, I'll assume it's the entire Senate. I don't care about White House Occupant's supporters.

Those choosing to ignore compelling testimony & documents that clearly shows White House Occupant is guilty - thereby voting not to remove - will pay a price at the polls. 

But, as you say, we should have realized America is too far gone once he was elected. Add to that, we should have realized those who shouted the loudest against White House Occupant during the primaries (Graham & Rubio come to mind) would become his biggest supporters. Yeah, we're ****ed. 

i am less afraid of Bolton outright lying then I am of him making some kind of deal behind the scenes before hand where he gets on the stand and refuses to answer questions when they get to close to the "hot zone."  Either he is going to pull the "I can't recall" card, or some nonsense like "my lawyer has advised me that I can't answer that due to national security concerns"

Another orchestrated instance of Trump allowing this whole Bolton thing to build up so huge, just so Bolton can turn around and pull the double cross. If Trump knows one thing, it's the power of how TV captivates the audience and often dictates how people think, even if what comes across the TV screen is later proven to be false or misleading.  

2 hours ago, Llevron said:

Whats going to happen to him if he does? 

Well theoretically he could be referred to the DoJ for a criminal perjury investigation. The three biggest problems with that are:

1) I think the Senate (or a Senate committee) has to vote on whether or not to send it to the DoJ for investigation. Can someone confirm?

2) If the above is true then there would be almost no chance of them sending a perjury investigation into Bolton to the DoJ if he basically lied to cover Trump's ass.

3) Even if they somehow did refer Bolton to the DoJ for lying to cover Trump's ass, then Barr would almost certainly squash it since we don't have anything even resembling an independent and non-political DoJ. 

So I think the reality is (if #1 is true) that if Bolton lies to cover for Trump, then not much is likely to happen to him.   😞

Thats what I was afraid you would say. Our government means nothing in bad faith. Even less if the people refuse to act or see. I know the founders saw a possibility we would have Trump and his like taking power. I doubt they thought people would be dumb enough to cheer for him.  

14 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

And thus lie to the Senate committing a criminal offense which will be revealed at some point later when documents currently being hidden are revealed - which will put him right where Roger Stone is now. 

Maybe he will have learned something from the fate of Stone, Cohen and Manafort. Things don't seem to turn out well for people who carry Trumps water.

40 minutes ago, twa said:

Trump has already said he would assert privilege,till that is addressed you won't get much useful from Bolton.

Trump can say lots of things - and frequently does. What the Chief Justice allows in the process based on law is different matter.

1 hour ago, MartinC said:

Trump can say lots of things - and frequently does. What the Chief Justice allows in the process based on law is different matter.

Well it clearly exists under the law, I doubt Roberts would be very expansive in ruling on it.

Should be fun since he is there to keep the impeachment lawful

She needs to say this stuff out loud. "Hey, everytime we get ready to hand this off, you find out in the news about this hack or that new potential witness and it requires us to go back through make sure sure we didn't miss anything. If you want more information, please help us find out why the Gang of 8 isn't being briefed, or what McConnell is doing because he's holding this up......"

Archived