Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

After the moves we made today, I'm like 75% sure we're going to trade Haskins and draft Tua at #2.  I hate the move, think it's an atrocity of lost value and opportunity cost, but I think it's coming.

Everything from the ****-footing around with our commitment to developing Haskins and leaking personal and unprofessional **** about him, to the "we're just doing our due diligence but we had a great meeting with Tua" combine, to the lack of improvement of the roster via FA--particularly the offense, to trading for a young pet QB project from their old team that can be a sacrificial lamb for a Tua redshirt season, is pointing to Tua at #2.

This franchise just can not get quarterback right.  Even when they draft the right guys, they can't take the next step.  I honestly don't think I can take the thought of them ruining a third top prospect in less than ten years.

3 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

After the moves we made today, I'm like 75% sure we're going to trade Haskins and draft Tua at #2.  I hate the move, think it's an atrocity of lost value and opportunity cost, but I think it's coming.

Everything from the ****-footing around with our commitment to developing Haskins and leaking personal and unprofessional **** about him, to the "we're just doing our due diligence but we had a great meeting with Tua" combine, to the lack of improvement of the roster via FA--particularly the offense, to trading for a young pet QB project from their old team that can be a sacrificial lamb for a Tua redshirt season, is pointing to Tua at #2.

This franchise just can not get quarterback right.  Even when they draft the right guys, they can't take the next step.  I honestly don't think I can take the thought of them ruining a third top prospect in less than ten years.

I don't really get this feeling at all. I'd love for it to happen though. It's not too much lost value if we get a 2nd or something for Haskins, but we'll get much worse because anything that I seem to think is acceptable as a trade is obviously way too much for other teams. 

4 hours ago, KDawg said:

Okay, made some major amendments to the ILB list and my previously started OLB list. Watched more of both groups. Moved some guys around position wise. Focused on guys I "didn't get" and added new guys. Not going to break it all down because quite frankly I'm filmed out for today. Just wanted to make a huge dent so I can finish my initial rankings sometime this week.  I'll add a couple of notes and give my top 10-15 of LBs in total:

image.png.5e9e63126efa5d80137018b94d15541d.png

Some guys got moved out to the OLB spot, so new guys were found and viewed. My sleeper here... #17 on my list. Kyahva Tezino. I think he's a playmaker. Not the most athletic dude I've ever seen... But he is violent. 

It's a weak ILB class and not a big Harrison fan. He has the physical traits but lacks instincts.

Sticking with some "boring" guys I have Weaver and Bailey a little higher that you. Boring, instinctual and productive. I am looking at Bailey being a year off injury so should be ready to rock. If he had a healthy last year I believe he would be ranked much higher on boards. He has a lot of experience behind him.

When it comes to productive, Wilson was over the top. He was one of those guys that will probably gain in notoriety as the draft approaches. I have him just under Murray and I don't mind Queen in the middle.

I didn't understand the Dye hype going into this season. Many boards I'd seen had him as the #2 or #3 ILB.

4 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

It's a weak ILB class and not a big Harrison fan. He has the physical traits but lacks instincts.

Sticking with some "boring" guys I have Weaver and Bailey a little higher that you. Boring, instinctual and productive. I am looking at Bailey being a year off injury so should be ready to rock. If he had a healthy last year I believe he would be ranked much higher on boards. He has a lot of experience behind him.

When it comes to productive, Wilson was over the top. He was one of those guys that will probably gain in notoriety as the draft approaches. I have him just under Murray and I don't mind Queen in the middle.

I didn't understand the Dye hype going into this season. Many boards I'd seen had him as the #2 or #3 ILB.

Bailey would be higher, but I'm not sure how he comes back from that injury. That's my biggest hurdle. I like Weaver. 

I really, really like Quarterman, though. I am a Miami fan, for full disclosure. But he's the one guy on that whole team that I would take a flier on. Pinckney is next. 

14 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Huh, I thought Allen made perfect sense to pair with Haskins and looked for this acquisition for some time.

He doesn't cost a lot (although yes a 5th round pick feels a little high), should be easy to extend, already knows the system and isn't expected to be a future starter. Instead he can push Haskins and help him adjust to the system and terminology. 

I am not sold on Haskins so I guess they could go Tua but I def didn't look at it your way.

I’m not as reactionary as Steve with this. But I think they over pursued Allen for sure. Dunbar got what he was going to get, I think. I think we look at Dunbar’s PFF grade and as fans convince ourselves that he was really that good... I don’t think he was.

Been watching a few games on game pass on between scouting (hello, quarantine and my kids with their mother today). He got beat more than I thought he did. 

Of course, it’s hard to diagnose coverage schemes, but he legit looked like he was beat more than a few times for TDs/big games. I wish I wrote them all down. 

One was against the Bills for sure. 

But we definitely have a large hole at corner at the moment. 

So what happens if there is no 2020 NFL season? Do we get all of our 2020 draft picks and then pick 2nd again in 2021? Do all of the players from the 2020 draft re-enter the pool and every team is drafting from 2 year's worth of talent in 2021? What seems likely?

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

He uses a lot of jet motion, too. So Sims is going to be a big part of this offense. 

A Laviska Shenault would be a perfect fit, but we don't have the draft capital. Jaelan Raegor could be an option? Antonio Gibson?

Alabama recruited McFarland as a WR. 

2 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

So what happens if there is no 2020 NFL season? Do we get all of our 2020 draft picks and then pick 2nd again in 2021? Do all of the players from the 2020 draft re-enter the pool and every team is drafting from 2 year's worth of talent in 2021? What seems likely?

I would guess players that are already drafted stay with their team, and I think a cancelled NFL season would also be mirrored by a cancelled college season, and in turn a cancelled 2021 draft.  Technically, players have to be 3 years removed from high school to declare,.so they don't need a college season in 2020 to declare, but with so many not having burned a year of eligibility, that many would just return to school.  Or maybe the NFL shortens the draft to a few rounds in anticipation of a lot less quality players declaring.  Not sure.  Man that would be a sad series of events.

9 hours ago, KillBill26 said:

I would guess players that are already drafted stay with their team, and I think a cancelled NFL season would also be mirrored by a cancelled college season, and in turn a cancelled 2021 draft.  Technically, players have to be 3 years removed from high school to declare,.so they don't need a college season in 2020 to declare, but with so many not having burned a year of eligibility, that many would just return to school.  Or maybe the NFL shortens the draft to a few rounds in anticipation of a lot less quality players declaring.  Not sure.  Man that would be a sad series of events.

It seems to me that if you only need to be out of HS 3 years, that a ton of extra good players would be declaring and we'd need a longer draft, not a shorter one. Also, it could be pretty sweet to draft 2nd overall twice in a row. Can you say Chase Young and Penei Sewell? 

Tua looks pretty good in that clip above. Now that we traded for Kyle Allen, I think we can probably put the Tua to DC rumor to bed. Looks like the perfect situation to push Haskins a little and have a guy on hand to replace him if needed. 

8 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

It seems to me that if you only need to be out of HS 3 years, that a ton of extra good players would be declaring and we'd need a longer draft, not a shorter one. Also, it could be pretty sweet to draft 2nd overall twice in a row. Can you say Chase Young and Penei Sewell? 

I just think a lot of guys would feel they would need another season to improve their draft stock.  Joe burrow went from a late round pick at best to #1 overall because of one season. And anyone who redshirted would have: redshirt year, one year of college football, coronavirus cancellation as their 3 years post high school. Add injuries to any of that small sample size, and I would think a lot of guys would be convinced they could catapult with one more year of college football.  But maybe they would still declare and the draft would be more potential based like the NBA draft is?  Not sure.

14 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Tua looks pretty good in that clip above. Now that we traded for Kyle Allen, I think we can probably put the Tua to DC rumor to bed. Looks like the perfect situation to push Haskins a little and have a guy on hand to replace him if needed. 

See, I don't think this puts anything to bed. 

I also don't think anything changes...

Young is the guy. Tua is a small possibility. Trading back is a small possibility. 

Kyle Allen doesn't change the overall gameplan all that much. 

5 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

I just think a lot of guys would feel they would need another season to improve their draft stock.  Joe burrow went from a late round pick at best to #1 overall.  And anyone who redshirted would have redshirt year, one year of college football, coronavirus cancellation as their 3 years post high school. Add injuries to any of that small sample size, and I would think a lot of guys would be convinced.they could catapult with one more year of college football.  But maybe they would still declare and the draft would be more potential based like the NBA draft is?  Not sure.

Problem is high school kids are also coming into the colleges and teams cant hold that many players. 

My money, if I were a betting man, would be that the draft would go on. Seniors would be moved. Eligibility wouldn't be restored.

High schools will not be giving their seniors more eligibility. 

You wouldn't see many underclassmen declare, though. 

I think its a non-issue, though. I think we see football this year. Maybe abbreviated, maybe not. But I think football at all levels is played. 

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Problem is high school kids are also coming into the colleges and teams cant hold that many players. 

My money, if I were a betting man, would be that the draft would go on. Seniors would be moved. Eligibility wouldn't be restored.

This, and, there are a bunch of players that already project as top 10, or 1st round picks. Trevor Lawrence, Ja'Marr Chase, Penei Sewell, thos caliber of players would be crazy not to declare and make their money. 

7 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I think its a non-issue, though. I think we see football this year. Maybe abbreviated, maybe not. But I think football at all levels is played. 

Good point about the high school players not having their eligibility restored.  but I think all spring sport athletes are getting their eligibility restored right?  If a season is cancelled, I don't see how college seniors lose their eligibility if they didnt play.  

Man I hope there is a football season.

10 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

I got the opposite feel from that trade.  He's an ideal sacrificial lamb to play for the year as Tua gets healthy and learns the system.

We've had one foot out on Haskins since we picked him.  You don't see other teams with firm commitments to the young QB prospect they just drafted in the first round really making moves like this.  Bringing in the pet project from the coach's old team to "push" them.  Trading their draft picks to get a back up with barely any more experience than the prospect, but just enough experience to give the coach a quick hook when the starter struggles.

Everything we've done since drafting Haskins is pretty much the opposite of what you're supposed to do to develop a young prospect at the position.  But we're a bad organization who has bumbled the position for as long as any of us can remember.  We are internally divided and have weak management and lack a clear plan/direction at QB.  If Haskins ends up working out here, it'll be in spite of his situation, not because of it.  I feel bad for the young man and I'll feel bad for Tua if he ends up getting stuck here.

9 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

This, and, there are a bunch of players that already project as top 10, or 1st round picks. Trevor Lawrence, Ja'Marr Chase, Penei Sewell, thos caliber of players would be crazy not to declare and make their money. 

Haha, "there are a bunch of players who project as top 10 picks".  Yeah, all 10 of them!!  Trevor Lawrence would definitely come out no matter what.   But think about all the players who declare early bc they just made big strides.  But to your point, there are also younger players that were top recruits that showed flashes that may think they will get drafted high on potential alone even if they weren't on the field too much.  

I just hope we never have to find out and life returns back to normal sooner rather than later.

10 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I got the opposite feel from that trade.  He's an ideal sacrificial lamb to play for the year as Tua gets healthy and learns the system.

We've had one foot out on Haskins since we picked him.  You don't see other teams with firm commitments to the young QB prospect they just drafted in the first round really making moves like this.  Bringing in the pet project from the coach's old team to "push" them.  Trading their draft picks to get a back up with barely any more experience than the prospect, but just enough experience to give the coach a quick hook when the starter struggles.

Everything we've done since drafting Haskins is pretty much the opposite of what you're supposed to do to develop a young prospect at the position.  But we're a bad organization who has bumbled the position for as long as any of us can remember.  We are internally divided and have weak management and lack a clear plan/direction at QB.  If Haskins ends up working out here, it'll be in spite of his situation, not because of it.  I feel bad for the young man and I'll feel bad for Tua if he ends up getting stuck here.

I don't think you can hold it against Rivera's regime if they pick a QB other than Haskins to roll with.

It's a major pox mark on the previous regime, though. Not that we needed more of them. They have enough.

Haskins should NOT have been drafted last year while Gruden remained at the head coach position. They drafted a raw potential-laden quarterback to a lame duck coach knowing regime change could change the whole dynamic. That's on Snyder, to be blunt. 

As a prospect, I like Haskins just fine. And it's honestly a disservice to him that they drafted him given the HC/FO situation from a year ago. Had they hired a new HC/a new GM last year and drafted him, he'd be the unquestioned QB today, in my opinion. At least for this season. 

But where I agree is that it DOES feel like groundhog day. So as fans, this process is exhausting.

I agree with you that I think Allen feels like a good sacrificial lamb for Tua. But I just don't think they pass on Young still. 

Now, if we were to sign Everson Griffen or Clowney? I think my tune might start to change.

36 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

But we're a bad organization who has bumbled the position for as long as any of us can remember.  We are internally divided and have weak management and lack a clear plan/direction at QB.  If Haskins ends up working out here, it'll be in spite of his situation, not because of it.  I feel bad for the young man and I'll feel bad for Tua if he ends up getting stuck here.

I don't know that you can say that we are currently a bad organization. Rivera has been a quality coach and leader everywhere he has been and I think Rivera and Kyle deserve a chance, despite how bad the trades were yesterday. 

My take on the draft if we opt to trade down (which I am not on board with necessarily). If you're going to do it, do it well.

*trade 1.2 to Miami for 1.5 + 1.18 + 2.39

*Trade Trent to Cleveland for 3.74

*Trade 1.5 and 3.74 to JAX for 1.9 + 2.42

1.9: Jerry Jeudy, WR Alabama

1.18: Andrew Thomas, LT Georgia

2.39: Antoine Winfield, S Minnesota

2.42: Terrell Lewis, Edge Alabama

3.66: Damon Arnette, CB Ohio State

4.108: Albert Okwuegbunam, TE Mizzou

4.142: Logan Wilson, LB Wyoming

5.16: Antonio Gandy-Golden, WR Liberty

Jeudy and Thomas are Blue-Chip potentials. Winfield, Lewis and Arnette are all starter-caliber (longterm) and depth short-term. Albert O would have to be the starter or backup to Logan Thomas (not ideal, but I was going BPA early). Wilson and Gandy-Golden round out the top 5 rounds and give you additional long-term depth at positions of relative need.

Its so tempting to try and turn this 2nd into a whole lot of late 1st-3rd round picks and just stock up.  You can get some great players at a lot of positions.

Its almost a shame someone as good as chase is there, because it makes it almost impossible to skip him. 

Its fun to think about though. 

6 minutes ago, CurseReversed said:

Its so tempting to try and turn this 2nd into a whole lot of late 1st-3rd round picks and just stock up.  You can get some great players at a lot of positions.

Its almost a shame someone as good as chase is there, because it makes it almost impossible to skip him. 

Its fun to think about though. 

This is kind of where I am right now. I would love Chase and ... just take him and add where you can in the rest of the draft.

If the flip side is trading down and getting a haul of picks, not only does it make draft-day more enjoyable, but it also gives us a ton of potential to add talent.

The real test will be 3 years from now. Will be looking back on this and thinking "how did we pass up on Chase" ... or "wow look at all that talent we could have added in the 1st and 2nd rounds" ...

8 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

My take on the draft if we opt to trade down (which I am not on board with necessarily). If you're going to do it, do it well.

*trade 1.2 to Miami for 1.5 + 1.18 + 2.39

*Trade Trent to Cleveland for 3.74

*Trade 1.5 and 3.74 to JAX for 1.9 + 2.42

1.9: Jerry Jeudy, WR Alabama

1.18: Andrew Thomas, LT Georgia

2.39: Antoine Winfield, S Minnesota

2.42: Terrell Lewis, Edge Alabama

3.66: Damon Arnette, CB Ohio State

4.108: Albert Okwuegbunam, TE Mizzou

4.142: Logan Wilson, LB Wyoming

5.16: Antonio Gandy-Golden, WR Liberty

This would be nice, but a lot has to go just right for this to happen, IMO.  While I'm with you on the Miami trade and this is exactly what my minimum acceptable return would be for #2, I'm not convinced that Miami would pull the trigger on this.  I don't like just a third for TW.  I don't know enough about JAX, so would you mind sharing who the target would be for them to move up from 1.9 to 1.5.

If all of the trades happen, it seems to me that we would have to be very lucky to have a lot of these guys fall to where you are selecting them.  From everything I've read, I think that it is very unlikely for Thomas to fall down to #18, for example.  Winfield, Arnett, and Albert O. all seem to be falling lower in your scenario than the various draft mocks I have seen.  Who knows, though?  It's still fun to consider these possibilities.

Archived