Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

Looking at safeties...

I'll tell you what... I think Kenny Robinson is a dude, man. Absolute ballhawk. I think I might even prefer him to Dugger/Chinn. Not as athletic...

That could be me talking in the moment, too. Not sure. But Id take him in a heartbeat.

1 minute ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I'd then see what I could get in a trade for Trent and/or Landon Collins.

Nah man. What you do is you do that trade, snag Isaiah Simmons, pair him with James and Collins. Derwin/Simmons can play closer to the LOS or roll... Collins comes downhill. Would be wonderful. 

4 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Nah man. What you do is you do that trade, snag Isaiah Simmons, pair him with James and Collins. Derwin/Simmons can play closer to the LOS or roll... Collins comes downhill. Would be wonderful. 

Would be great in Nickel situations, but you'd be exposed against run-heavy attacks (e.g. Cowboys and Giants).

On 2nd thought, I'd probably need Keenan Allen in that trade, plus a 2020 2nd, instead of Derwin, if I knew I would be drafting Simmons.

Just now, HTTRDynasty said:

Would be great in Nickel situations, but you'd be exposed against run-heavy attacks (e.g. Cowboys and Giants).

On 2nd thought, I'd probably need Keenan Allen in that trade, plus a 2020 2nd, instead of Derwin if I knew I would be drafting Simmons.

This is a trade I can get behind. 

MMQ new mock, here's the 3rd round

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/03/20/mock-draft-11-three-rounds?utm_campaign=themmqb&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com

ROUND 3

65. Cincinnati Bengals: Jordyn Brooks, LB, Texas Tech

66. Washington: Chase Claypool, WR, Notre Dame

67. Detroit Lions: Kyle Dugger, S, Lenoir-Rhyne

68. New York Jets (via NYG): Troy Pride Jr., CB, Notre Dame

69. Carolina Panthers: Ashtyn Davis, S, Cal

70. Miami Dolphins: Lloyd Cushenberry III, IOL, LSU

71. Los Angeles Chargers: Cam Akers, RB, Florida State

72. Arizona Cardinals: Prince Tega Wanogho, OT, Auburn

73. Jacksonville Jaguars: Jake Fromm, QB, Georgia

74. Cleveland Browns: Malik Harrison, LB, Ohio State

75. Indianapolis Colts: Adam Trautman, TE, Dayton

76. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Isaiah Wilson, OT, Georgia

77. Denver Broncos: Troy Dye, LB, Oregon

78. Atlanta Falcons: Matt Hennessy, IOL, Temple

79. New York Jets: Bryan Edwards, WR, South Carolina

80. Las Vegas Raiders: Josh Uche, EDGE, Michigan

81. Las Vegas Raiders (via CHI): Raekwon Davis, IDL, Alabama

82. Dallas Cowboys: Brycen Hopkins, TE, Purdue

83. Denver Broncos (via PIT): Robert Hunt, IOL, Louisiana-Lafayette

84. Los Angeles Rams: Curtis Weaver, EDGE, Boise State

85. Detroit Lions (via PHI): Bradlee Anae, EDGE, Utah

86. Buffalo Bills: Jonathan Greenard, EDGE, Florida

87. New England Patriots: Logan Wilson, LB, Wyoming

88. New Orleans Saints: Jabari Zuniga, EDGE, Florida

89. Minnesota Vikings: Van Jefferson, WR, Florida

90. Houston Texans: James Lynch, IDL, Baylor

91. Las Vegas Raiders (via SEA): A.J. Green, CB, Oklahoma State

92. Baltimore Ravens: Netane Muti, IOL, Fresno State

93. Tennessee Titans: Zack Moss, RB, Utah

94. Green Bay Packers: Akeem Davis-Gaither, LB, Appalachian State

95. Denver Broncos (via SF): Darnay Holmes, CB, UCLA

96. Kansas City Chiefs: Amik Robertson, CB, Louisiana Tech

97. Cleveland Browns (via HOU): Tyler Biadasz, IOL, Wisconsin

98. New England Patriots: Donovan Peoples-Jones, WR, Michigan

99. New York Giants: Darrell Taylor, EDGE, Tennessee

100. New England Patriots: Jonah Jackson, IOL, Ohio State

101. Seattle Seahawks: Damien Lewis, IOL, LSU

102. Pittsburgh Steelers: Hunter Bryant, TE, Washington

103. Philadelphia Eagles: John Simpson, IOL, Clemson

104. Los Angeles Rams: Willie Gay Jr., LB, Mississippi State

105. Minnesota Vikings: Logan Stenberg, IOL, Kentucky

106. Baltimore Ravens: Khalid Kareem, EDGE, Notre Dame

26 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

MMQ new mock, here's the 3rd round

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/03/20/mock-draft-11-three-rounds?utm_campaign=themmqb&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com

ROUND 3

65. Cincinnati Bengals: Jordyn Brooks, LB, Texas Tech

66. Washington: Chase Claypool, WR, Notre Dame

Man the 3rd round is loaded. Imagine having a bunch of selections in the round. Could fill holes at FS, LB, TE, IOL, OT, WR...

I was taking a look again at Trautman, I did a longish report on him months back.  What got me to do it is Standig's constant hint that they might go TE in round 3.  IMO the only TE's worth a 3rd rounder are Trautman and Kmet.  And Standig reported that he's heard they like Trautman. Trautman himself said that the Redskins seemed interested in him.  I know they also met with Kmet at the combine. 

I've gone back and forth between Kmet and Trautman so I figured I'd rewatch them both.  As for Trautman, this dude is such a consistent blocker.  He talks a good game about blocking but he lives it, too.  He locks into his target, has strong hands and heck sometimes when he's able to push one dude out of the way, he finds a 2nd defender to block on the same play.  Plays with a mean streak, throws defenders on the ground here and there and seems to get off on it.  If we want a dude who blocks with attitude that might be contagious (Kittle's teammates say Kittle's style of blocking rubs off on the whole team), Trautman is that guy IMO.  

As consistent of a blocker -- he can be inconsistent as a pass catcher.  He has plenty of moments though.   He sometimes will blow up a defender on the way to getting open which is fun to watch.  I'd say his separation skills are good but not great.  He can blow apart a defender on some plays going for YAC but then on other plays he's tackled without much of a problem.  Ditto as for contested catches.  He has some nice contested catches where he high points the ball and fights off defenders and then sometimes not.  If he was more of a consistent offensive weapon, I think he'd be a lock 1st-2nd rounder.

If I recall Zierlein compared Harrison Bryant to George Kittle.  And I like Harrison Bryant more than most but I don't see those two as having similar styles.  Harrison isn't typically a punishing blocker.  The dude that plays like Kittle stylistically IMO is Trautman.    Seems like a cool dude, too. 

If they want to draft a tone setter type for offense, I can see Kyle's lure to Trautman/

Bob Mcginn just posted his top 50 (with scouts opinions):

Offense:

https://theathletic.com/1665631/2020/03/17/mcginn-scouts-size-up-their-top-prospects-on-offense/

Defense:

https://theathletic.com/1670269/2020/03/17/mcginn-nfl-scouts-size-up-their-top-prospects-on-defense/

I'll just post Chase Young:

Chase Young, Ohio State (6-5, 264): Young, who finished fourth in voting for the Heisman Trophy, is the only defensive player in our top 10. “Reminds me of Myles Garrett,” said one scout. “Ohio State turned him loose. Just let him go after the quarterback. He always jumped around the block. He’s not very physical. The only technique he has is with his shoulders. But he is explosive and can change direction, and he gives good effort. He’s not like the Bosas. They had such great hands. This guy doesn’t use his hands.” He finished with 30 1/2 sacks, including 16 1/2 in 2019. Young didn’t work out at the combine. “If I was going to be critical of one thing, I bet he’s not going to run because he’s not that fast,” another scout said before the combine. “He isn’t going to be Montez Sweat and run 4.4s. He’s not that fast, but he produces rushing the passer. He put together two great years. He was borderline unstoppable at times this year. There’s enough there. You’re overthinking it if you try to talk yourself out of it.”

46 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Thanks.  Forgot these came out around this time.

This is the most interesting one so far IMO.  I'm sure opinions will vary like this around the league:

Isaiah Simmons, Clemson (6-3 1/2, 233): Simmons is possibly the most versatile defensive player in the draft. “He’s the best linebacker or the best safety,” said one scout. “It’s where you want to play him. He’s phenomenal. He’s a top-three pick, athletically. I saw him line up in like five different alignments, and they were playing somebody good. He’s not mean, but he’s not soft. His cover skills are unique for a man that big.” Simmons had a great combine, with a 40 of 4.38 seconds, a vertical jump of 39 inches and a broad jump of 11 feet. “I have never seen anything like him,” said a second scout. “This guy can rush the passer, play on the line of scrimmage, move 12 to 15 yards down the field and cover people. Against Louisville, he picked up (Tutu Atwell), the (little) slot who was quick, and covered him on a corner route and broke it up. I said, ‘Is that Simmons? Oh, my God.'” Production included 11 sacks, four interceptions, 20 passes defensed and six forced fumbles. “He’s talking about he’s a better pass rusher than Khalil Mack and he covers better than ‘Honey Badger’ (Tyrann Mathieu),” said a third scout. “Hey, c’mon, man. No. If an offensive coordinator or quarterback sees him as a single-high safety, they’re going to throw at him every single time. He’s a really good athlete for a linebacker but not a really good athlete for a safety. If they play him in the slot, they’ll throw at him because he can’t cover receivers. They scheme him off the edge and he comes flying and he’s free. He’s got some sacks because of that. It is not as if he’s putting his hand down and working moves, spinning, bull rushing, slipping and dipping. He’s not doing any of that. He’s running straight or they’re stunting him where he comes flying free through the gaps. He is not a tough, physical football player. He’s not a hitter. Doesn’t break down well. I don’t get it. Down in and down out, he’s not a factor or a difference-maker.”

4th-5h round range?  Antonio Gibson.  If Scott Turner loves Shenault as @volsmet says then I wouldn't be shocked that he likes Gibson.

Gibson is different cat from Shenault in some ways. Shenault played X in the games I watched.  Gibson plays slot.   But they are both almost the exact same size-height-weight.  Shenault IMO plays more physical than Gibson.  Gibson though to me is both quicker-faster.  They both for receivers are used as runners (handoffs) and if Turner as some say likes using runners for end arounds, sweeps, handoffs, etc -- Gibson to me fits that mold.

He's really dynamic.  Like Shenault he doesn't strike me as a polished route runner.  Some have criticized Gibson's run blocking but he looked fine to me, willing blocker.  He doesn't separate as quick as I'd like as to out routes in the flat.  But at times he does.  

I got no idea if Gibson can beat press because in the 2 games I watched he didn't have to do it.  but he's a big enough dude that I presume he might be able to do so in the pros.  He's a decent separator IMO but not great at it where he looks especially twitchy as for double moves, etc.

Watching him he strikes me as sort of somewhere in between Duvernay and Shenault stylistically.  I like him.  A bit of a swiss army knife.  WR.  RB. KR.  And  YAC!  Another receiver added to the big pile of ones I like. 

1 hour ago, mhd24 said:

Offense:

https://theathletic.com/1665631/2020/03/17/mcginn-scouts-size-up-their-top-prospects-on-offense/

Love McGinn's reports which are based on pro scout contacts he has, I've posted them here for years now.  If I recall he had the most accurate top 100 (given pre draft) in the last draft.

Here is what the scouts have said about 2 of my 3 favorite 2nd tier type tackles in the draft.    Since they agree with me they must be right?  😁

Screen Shot 2020-03-20 at 8.46.48 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-03-20 at 8.47.02 PM.png

Wow. McGinn and I see the same things in Simmons and Young.

I pointed out how Young doesn’t use his hands awhile ago in this thread. And have touted Simmons’ versatility.

Im surprised and honestly kinda proud.

That guy is excellent. 

I am not :ols:

12 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Love McGinn's reports which are based on pro scout contacts he has, I've posted them here for years now.  If I recall he had the most accurate top 100 (given pre draft) in the last draft.

Here is what the scouts have said about 2 of my 3 favorite 2nd tier type tackles in the draft.    Since they agree with me they must be right?  😁

Screen Shot 2020-03-20 at 8.47.02 PM.png

Cleveland is one of my favorites in the third round. 

I have studied Antonio Gibson since someone,I think @Anselmheifer posted of him a few weeks back.He is quite interesting and a goo OC could have fun with a guy like him on the roster.

As for Simmons, pretty much everyone here loves him as a player but yeah definitely @KDawg has become his bigger cheerleader.   But I'd give special props to @stevemcqueen1 as to the criticism in the mix of the praise.  If I recall he said he'd take Okudah over him because of the toughness factor.  The scouts hit that point here on Simmons.

Screen Shot 2020-03-20 at 9.48.34 PM.png

I actually agree with Steve in the way he phrased it. Simmons is tough as hell. But he’s not a dog. He’s not a guy that incites physical fear in you. He’s more cerebral. 

I think that last scout missedon his evaluation. Pretty hard. But I do agree that he’s not a physically imposing figure. 

He’s a playmaker, so that will scare teams. But no one looks at him like their head and helmet may disappear from existence if he hits them.

Archived