Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

I am a HUGE Saahdiq Charles fan. I have him ranked 6th/7th (he's about even with Niang… I'll have to make a call at some point there...)

Niang has a better attitude.

Charles has slightly better skills and is more battle tested.

Charles would be a great get for this franchise. 

2 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Just pullin this out of my ass practically, but is there a chance the Pats could trade up to get Tua, or are they fully committed to Stidham ?

I mean, Stidham has 4 NFL pass attempts. So it's not like there's a sample size on the field, to have confidence in.

I believe Cody Kessler would start right now if nothing changed. 

5 minutes ago, Master Blaster said:

I believe Cody Kessler would start right now if nothing changed. 

Ok if I'm a Pats fan, I'd actually feel even less confident, if that were the case.

Didn't a very bad Redskins team beat him, when he was with the Browns ? (among several other reasons to question him)

Regardless, unless the Pats are super confident that one of them is the long term answer, I'm tempted to believe that they would consider trading up for Tua.

3 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Just pullin this out of my ass practically, but is there a chance the Pats could trade up to get Tua, or are they fully committed to Stidham ?

I mean, Stidham has 4 NFL pass attempts. So it's not like there's a sample size on the field, to have confidence in.

People expect Brissett to find his way back to NE.

34 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

Me too but Dalton is the first choice. If it’s not him I’d still be a surprised if it was Stidham or Kessler.

If draft cost was not a factor, Cam would be there already — Tepper & Kraft are pretty close, they’ve talked about this for months... NE is cheap though. Belichick would love to run Cam into the ground for 2 years, but in the end, people seem to think they’ll go with a cheaper & more familiar guy. 

29 minutes ago, volsmet said:

If draft cost was not a factor, Cam would be there already

You think he will hold a high price tag in trade compensation ?

I thought I read somewhere that Carolina is actually looking at the possibility of waiving him, because of a possibility of no takers in a trade for him.

I could be wrong though, and the writer could be wrong.

47 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

You think he will hold a high price tag in trade compensation ?

I thought I read somewhere that Carolina is actually looking at the possibility of waiving him, because of a possibility of no takers in a trade for him.

I could be wrong though, and the writer could be wrong.

I think NE is cheap & if cost wasn’t a consideration they’d take Cam over 95% of the QBs available. What I’ve heard is they would ditch the effort to make Cam a passer & have him grind out first downs for 2 years.; the rumors are relentless, some sources better than others. 

Something more pertinent to this thread, we love RB Swift. 

3 hours ago, volsmet said:

Something more pertinent to this thread, we love RB Swift. 

Do you think Swift is going to be a first or second round pick?  If he's a first rounder we have no chance at him.  But second isn't totally out of the question.

I'd be curious to know how they feel about Guice.

My gut is that, if we get a second round pick back for Trent, we'd probably target a CB, OT, or WR ahead of a RB even if a really good one like Swift is sitting there on the board.  @Anselmheifer pointed out how we have a history of reaching for needs, and our biggest FA targets have been receivers and corners.  And I think talking yourself into passing on a DeAndre Swift or Jonathan Taylor for a lesser player is easier if you love Guice.

33 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Do you think Swift is going to be a first or second round pick?  If he's a first rounder we have no chance at him.  But second isn't totally out of the question.

I'd be curious to know how they feel about Guice.

My gut is that, if we get a second round pick back for Trent, we'd probably target a CB, OT, or WR ahead of a RB even if a really good one like Swift is sitting there on the board.  @Anselmheifer pointed out how we have a history of reaching for needs, and our biggest FA targets have been receivers and corners.  And I think talking yourself into passing on a DeAndre Swift or Jonathan Taylor for a lesser player is easier if you love Guice.

I'd love CEH in the 3rd, but I think we're looking at some combo of Tackle, WR in rounds 2-4 (assuming we'd somehow acquire a second). If they view Guice as injury prone and Love isn't showing signs of burst, I could see RB being the third position in play there. And then things get interesting. In that scenario, you almost have to go OT in the 2nd, RB in third and WR in the fourth just because of the depth of the positions. 

Something like Jones/Charles + CEH + Duvernay/Pittman/Hightower/Gandy-Golden/Peoples-Jones

if it's not RB, it's likely FS (which I'm still hoping we hit in FA)...

Then you're likely going FS in 2, OT in 3, WR in 4.

So, say, Dugger/Chinn/Winfield + Niang/Heck + Duvernay/Pittman/Hightower/Gandy-Golden/Peoples-Jones

Though, I do like the kid from Texas at FS. 

I started watching Charles.  The LSU-Alabama game which I've probably watched now 30 times because i keep studying prospects from that one, that game has to be the all time from me.  And I was impressed, he anchors really well, locks on to his defenders, has good length, athleticism, etc.  So then to take a break I stopped to read about the character concerns.  After that I stopped watching.  As Daniel Jeremiah said Charles' red flags are bright red flags. 

It would be one thing if it was just once, but consistency year after year issues?  That doesn't sound like a dude who has it together. 

No way I'd take Charles over someone like Niang or maybe even Cleveland considering the reports about the dude. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/ls-us-saahdiq-charles-tries-to-put-selfish-and-stupid-mistake-behind-him-at-nfl-combine-180220463.html

Charles refused to say what exactly got him suspended. LSU coach Ed Orgeron cited “coach’s decisions”.

An LSU source told Yahoo Sports that Charles has some work to do to convince NFL teams he’s worth the risk. The 20-year-old Charles was “tremendously immature” and “constantly stayed in trouble” during the Tigers’ dream season.

“He’s a follower, not a leader,” the source continued. “He gravitated toward trouble when he didn’t have money, so what’s going to happen when he does have [an NFL paycheck]?

“He makes it tough to trust him. He’s not reliable. In three years, he had a major discipline issue each year.”

As a result, league sources have indicated that multiple teams have removed Charles from their draft board — for now — until they get more answers from him on his character concerns.

3 hours ago, KDawg said:

I'd love CEH in the 3rd, but I think we're looking at some combo of Tackle, WR in rounds 2-4 (assuming we'd somehow acquire a second). If they view Guice as injury prone and Love isn't showing signs of burst, I could see RB being the third position in play there. And then things get interesting. In that scenario, you almost have to go OT in the 2nd, RB in third and WR in the fourth just because of the depth of the positions.  

Something like Jones/Charles + CEH + Duvernay/Pittman/Hightower/Gandy-Golden/Peoples-Jones

if it's not RB, it's likely FS (which I'm still hoping we hit in FA)... 

Then you're likely going FS in 2, OT in 3, WR in 4. 

So, say, Dugger/Chinn/Winfield + Niang/Heck + Duvernay/Pittman/Hightower/Gandy-Golden/Peoples-Jones

Though, I do like the kid from Texas at FS. 

I've warmed up to CEH in the third too.  I think he could be the BPA at 66.  But if we're drafting for need, then I think we'll pick a CB or WR or OT at 66 instead.

I don't really like any of the OT options I've been getting at 66 except for the one time each I was able to get Austin Jackson and Ezra Cleveland.  I think the drop off after the second round at OT is discouraging, and I'm not sure that kid ends up being a better option than Geron Christian TBH.  Unless someone with really high upside like Jackson slides to that spot, I'd rather go after what will almost certainly be better value at other positions, roll with Christian, sign a swing tackle for depth, and target the position in next year's draft.

I think we have some acceptable options at FS in house.  Apke was respectable last season, and Fuller can play the position too.  Nicholson is reasonable depth.  If we can mainly go 2 deep or play cover 3, then I think we'll be alright.  But I too would like to see us bring in another free agent DB with solid deep safety ability.  Malcolm Jenkins would be pretty great.  I hope we don't reach for the position at 66 though.  To me it's clear that the WRs and RBs are way ahead of the DBs this year, and I don't want to take a deep safety high and lose out on the real mid round value of the draft.  If we target the position in that range, I'm hoping it's a high upside pick/guy who can play linebacker too like Dugger or Chinn.  Otherwise, I'm really hoping for offensive player or cornerback at that spot.

The way my mock drafts simulations have been going, my choice at 66 has almost always been between Cam Dantzler, Isaiah Wilson, Prince Tega-Wanahogo, Matthew Peart, Jeremy Chinn, Kyle Dugger, and CEH.

In that scenario, I have a pretty hard time picking one of the tackles over any of the defenders or CEH.  It goes against my BPA philosophy.

I've had several simulations in a row where Andrew Thomas has fallen to Seattle at #27.  Is there a viable strategy where we can get back into the 20s to draft him?  That feels like one of the biggest potential values in the class.

9 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I've had several simulations in a row where Andrew Thomas has fallen to Seattle at #27.  Is there a viable strategy where we can get back into the 20s to draft him?  That feels like one of the biggest potential values in the class.

I don't see a way of getting back into the first without including next year's (2021) first rounder, which I'd be strongly against.  That could very well be a top-6 or 7 pick depending on how things turn out...

28 minutes ago, ColonialWBSkinsFan said:

I don't see a way of getting back into the first without including next year's (2021) first rounder, which I'd be strongly against.  That could very well be a top-6 or 7 pick depending on how things turn out...

I'm against trading future picks period.  Everyone was thrilled with getting Sweat but now the true cost of that future second round pick is revealed.  

20 minutes ago, PlayAction said:

I'm against trading future picks period.  Everyone was thrilled with getting Sweat but now the true cost of that future second round pick is revealed.  

I'm not sure about that.  If Sweat were in this draft, he'd easily be the 2nd best DE.  He really came on during the year, and was excellent against the run (things rookie DEs struggle with).  Yeah, losing #34 sucks, but I'm not mad about the trade.  Sweat is a building block for the defense.

Archived