Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

image.png.3ec1fde3f45b9d5d4b135bcc7de01a56.png

So I said Kmet was a little overrated. And I believe that. But he's still pretty damn good. Comes in at 3 for me. Keep in mind, this is pre-Senior Bowl for guys like Trautman. Trautman just looked real natural in the stuff that's online for him. Receiver and a blocker. Senior Bowl will likely change my opinion on him in some way or form.

But my #2 is my story. Albert O. Dude is a willing blocker. And not only that, he's good at it. He may be the best blocker that I watched. He's an okay receiving option, fairly athletic, smooth. But his blocking... I loved it. 

Thaddeus is a good blocker, better than given credit for. But he's an awkward blocker.

Matthew Wilkerson is freakin' huge, man. And he's a good receiver. He stands out against low level competition. There is literally nothing I can find of him blocking, so I was hesitant to put him as high as I did. 

The surprise for me... Well, two surprises... Hunter Bryant did NOT impress. I think he looked bad as a blocker and he plays smaller than his size indicates. But I didn't know Dominick Wood-Anderson was so explosive at the LOS as a blocker. He was a fun one to watch. @volsmet should be proud. 

Kmet is overrated on most boards because their is not a lot of talent for TE's this year. He and Trautman are the best if you need a TE that can block, catch and run.

I am with you that Albert O is good and my # 3 and may go late in the 3rd round.

Similar to last year, I am assuming the staff want a TE that can do it all so somewhat ignore just receivers. So, I like in the 4th round Pinkney, Hopkins and at HB Deguara. Moss and Claypool are down the line to me, they are not a complete package but have potential over others...even though many on the site love these guys. 

I am going to need look up Volsmets guy lol, as I am not familiar.  

What ever happened to Joey Magnifico, he looked so good in the past off season?

12 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

I could see Magnifico surprising somewhere.  Woerner too.   
Kinda dig Asiasi, he looks smooth to me and has potential to be a plus blocker.  Feel like Sullivan might be the biggest dark horse though.  

Woerner has moments and then has big mistakes. Potential is there. 

Asiasi is solid. I think he’ll have a good career in the league. Doesn’t do enough to be highly rated, but anyone who snags him is going to get a guy for a long time I think, if they want him.

Sullivan is intriguing. He struggles maintaining blocks but is a good blocker otherwise. Good receiver, too.

20 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Woerner has moments and then has big mistakes. Potential is there. 

Asiasi is solid. I think he’ll have a good career in the league. Doesn’t do enough to be highly rated, but anyone who snags him is going to get a guy for a long time I think, if they want him.

Sullivan is intriguing. He struggles maintaining blocks but is a good blocker otherwise. Good receiver, too.

Cooley coached Woerner for some reason at some point and stayed in touch with him, thinks he's a great guy and will be a good player.  Not a lot of production from him as a receiver but not a bad blocker. 

I often take Sullivan or Breeland in the 7th round in the Draft Network simulated mocks.  They are among my favorite flier type TEs.   @stevemcqueen1 brought Breeland to my attention with some of his posts on him. 

58 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

I could see Magnifico surprising somewhere.  Woerner too.   
Kinda dig Asiasi, he looks smooth to me and has potential to be a plus blocker.  Feel like Sullivan might be the biggest dark horse though.  

I like Asiasi in the 5th of 6th. 

I really like the other TE's on the current roster and to be honest any 6th or 7th rounders are a waist,we already have their equal on the roster. Use the picks elsewhere...

Last year's sophomore class of tight ends was unusually good.  Because of that, the tight end class should be much stronger in 2021 and If we miss out on the position this year, I won't be mad.  We can likely get a far more dynamic athlete and receiver at the position in the first three rounds of 2021 than we can this year:

- Kyle Pitts

- Freirmuth

- Brant Kuithe

- Brevin Jordan

- Jake Ferguson

Are all easily better than Trautman IMO.  Bushman from BYU is also pretty good, maybe the best senior next year.  He'd have been in the mid round mix this year.

Texas A&M also has a monster pair of freshmen tight ends that are probably more gifted than the guys who will get picked in 2021.

I wouldn't mind a defense-heavy class this year, maybe with one or two mid to late round receivers in the mix.  Then take advantage of what should be a better OT and TE class in 2021.  2021 will also be a good running back class, so in an ideal world, we figure out just what we have with Guice and Geron Christian by then.

Outside of the top 4-6, there aren’t many guys you’d really want to take fliers on in this class. And they’re all kind of limited.

I like Albert O. A lot. But he’s a blocking tight end primarily that can do a little catching. Trautman is good at both facets but not entirely eye popping. Kmet has way too many let downs. Hopkins is solid, but doesn’t do anything overall as well as the top 3 skills wise. 

Bryant is similar to Hopkins in that regard.

Thad is the wild card. 

I don’t think it’s a terrible tight end class. I just don’t think it’s a good one.

9 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I don’t think it’s a terrible tight end class. I just don’t think it’s a good one. 

Yeah, it's not a terrible class.  It's just mediocre and the group doesn't have very much speed.  I haven't picked TE a single time in the mock drafts I simulated, and the reason is there has always been a better player available at a different position.  DB, OL, WR, and RB are all significantly stronger than TE this year IMO.

We're picking at the top of the rounds, so we're in position to scoop up high value that should have been picked in the previous rounds and it's never a tight end.

Running backs are my focus today. Watching a lot of these guys now. I've watched some, but re-watching. Talking in respect to DeAndre Swift... Dude is speedy and has a lot of ability with the ball in his hands as a receiver and a back. Not sure on the blocking, haven't seen enough of that yet.

But one thing I notice with him: No one is touching him until he's 6-7 yards downfield (slight hyperbole). His line opened some enormous holes. I don't think he's my top guy anyways, but man, I'd like to see him create more. Now, he has great vision and a stop on a dime cut ability as well as ridiculous agility that you can't teach which is partially responsible for his ability to get free. But it's real noticeable how big the holes are on a routine basis. 

image.png.d39f11ef818af934e4872bae72121bd6.png

Alright, the running backs.

Again, this is pre senior bowl. 

Jonathan Taylor is the class of the group. He does everything and he does it all well. 

CEH is my dude here. Plays like Ingram. Smartest back in the draft the way he sets up blocks and uses his smaller height to weave through traffic.

Swift is 3, but Dobbins threatens him there. Both guys are electric. Dobbins seems to have better break tackle ability, but ultimately Swift's ability to cut on a dime and tremendous agility puts him ahead.

There's a little fall off after those guys.

I'm clearly not that high on Cam Akers. I was tempted to push him further down the board, but I think his ability to have his pass pro develop is going to be a major benefit to him at the next level. 

AJ Dillon doesn't go sideways much. Good. 

10,11,12 are probably the most interesting backs in the draft in my opinion. Patrick Taylor has linear speed, but he is not good at moving horizontally. He does everything else you want a back to do. He can be physical, can catch passes, can make short cuts and has good vision. He's not a creator. Booger Jr and Darrynton Evans are interchangeable I think. Those guys can create with the best of them. If you haven't watched Evans' film, you should give it a go. 

Dowdle is my sleeper. I haven't seen him talked about much... But he does a lot of things really, really well. Falls down the board because of a little bit of a lack of tenure.

DeeJay Dallas is a project.

JJ Taylor is a good back, but at 5-5, 185 you would likely be drafting him for his return man abilities with very few running back opportunities. Though, his skills may make him worth a late round flier... Because if he can play like he did in college he can be a Darren Sproles-ish NFL prospect. 

@KDawg - 3 late round guys I’d be curious to get your take on... Reggie Corbin, Darius “Jet” Anderson, and Jamycal Hasty.  

I find it a bit strange that Darius was nicknamed “Jet” by his teammates for his speed (as far as I know) and yet ran a 4.61...

7 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

@KDawg - 3 late round guys I’d be curious to get your take on... Reggie Corbin, Darius “Jet” Anderson, and Jamycal Hasty.  

I find it a bit strange that Darius was nicknamed “Jet” by his teammates for his speed (as far as I know) and yet ran a 4.61...

I liked the film on Darius. But he just doesn’t have breakaway speed. And I’m not 100% sure he’s good enough otherwise to break into a rotation. But he does have good skills. 

Corbin I watched one game. Wasn’t blown away. Will give him another shot later.

Havent watched Hasty. Will take a look later.

I spent a lot of time on certain TE's mostly months back.  I hate ranking guys based purely on reputation versus watching them so I'll just focus on the ones I watched so I left some out.  I don't think any of them would be reaches in the round I lay out and would be more than happy to grab anyone of them commensurate to those rounds. 

The best 2 (I wouldn't hate taking either in the third)

Adam Trautman:  I gave two longish reviews of him already.  In short, he's a really consistent blocker and plays with a mean spirt type a way that you don't really find from anyone else in this draft class. aside from maybe Woerner.  And as a pass catcher, he's inconsistent but a fun watch because he plays with a feistiness as for contested catches and YAC.  Seems like he'd bring an added locker room fun component to him reminiscent of Cooley in that front. 

Cole Kmet:  He's 250 pounds plus and is a good athlete for his size.   He's only 20 years old.  He's inconsistent as a blocker but has his moments where he's good and is determined to get good at that part of the game. He separates well and has good hands.

The next two (I'd take in the early 4th)

Albert O:  Aside from Claypool, he's the best athlete in the mix. I agree with @KDawg that he's a good blocker.  I said so myself in my own review of him. Though some disagree with us on it, some knock his blocking ability.   He was a much better producer when he had Drew Lock throwing him the ball the season before last.   For a dude with his speed, he doesn't always look that quick especially for out routes in the flat.  Brycen Hopkins for example isn't as fast but seems to have the quicker first steps where he looks quicker coming off the line of scrimmage.  Albert O seems to need to gain some momentum to pick up his speed and then fly -- i saw him get deep on a play where that was showcased. 

Chase Claypool:  if you turn him into a TE his athleticism are freakish levels.  But watching him as a blocker playing receiver, he's good at it, not great.  So I gather he'd need to put another 10 pounds on to adjust to the more blocking driven TE spot.  He IMO is a decent receiver so if they can figure out his size-blocking, he's intriguing.  

The next two (late 4th-early 5th)

I wouldn't be reluctant to draft either dude in this range.  The 4th-5th is typically all about projections versus drafting borderline sure fire studs.   And Hopkins and Harrison IMO are intriguing talents in that range and have good value IMO in this range.  I suspect though they might go earlier. 

A.  Brycen Hopkins is a dynamic playmaker and can separate. He has good size and he ran a 4.66.  And he moves like a dude who runs 4.6. If you watch his get off from the line of scrimmage, the dude looks like Desean Jackson compared to our TEs.   His hands can be inconsistent. He's a below average blocker.  He is a willing blocker though.  If I had to pick the one TE I like more than most draft geeks -- its probably Hopkins. 

B.  Harrison Bryant.  Big time producer.  Zierlein compares him to Kittle.  I disagree.  I like Harrison more than most but not to Zierlein's degree.  Zierlein likes him as a blocker.  I wouldn't go that far.  But I agree he's better than his reputation on that front.   He's feisty as a blocker but he doesn't IMO maintain his blocks well.   As a pass catcher, he seems to have decent hands, decent at separating and he's somewhat dynamic in open field.  I slightly prefer Hopkins over him. 

Hunter Bryant confuses the heck out of me.  He's arguably the best pass catcher in this class.  But he doesn't have the size to be a good blocker IMO.  Yet, he bulked up for the combine and then ran slow.  

6th-7th round

Deguara, Sullivan, Parkinson, Breeland, Pickney, Woerner,  I don't feel like rehashing my prior reviews on them.  I am OK with anyone of these guys for different reasons.  Parkinson might be the most well rounded within that group.  I like Woerner and Pickney's blocking.

I am not a Thaddeus Moss guy.  As for @KDawg comment that he's a better blocker than given credit for.  He seems though actually to be given good credit for his blocking from most draft geeks. I agree with that, he's a decent blocker.  Certainly a willing blocker.  He has good hands.  But IMO he isn't dynamic and isn't good at separating.  He looks slow and with him having a plate in his foot and some other new foot fracture -- no thank you from me.  

@Skinsinparadise

Agree on Moss due to injuries. If it were a healthy Moss passing on him in say, the 4th, would almost be criminal. But he’s not. 

I had him 6th primarily because after those first 5 I think the talent drop off is fairly significant. And that’s when a gamble could be okay in the later rounds on Thad. I wouldn’t do it before the 5th with his injury history. But Moss in the 5th would be excellent value. 

I think we’re pretty close in agreement on the rest. 

Claypool fell hard for me because when I watch him try to block he just doesn’t look like he cared. With some bulk and a little desire to play the position he’d skyrocket for me. 

Not sure which position to do next. Been watching bits and pieces of everything today. 

Im thinking maybe quarterbacks or DTs.

Still have to start/finish these positions:

Corner

Receiver

Quarterback

DT

LB

Safety

IOL

Some are started, some aren’t aside from a few guys in the group. 

I think Asiasi is underrated as a blocker.  He does have trouble with pulling and blocking backside, and in pass pro against edge rushers.  Also important to fix his habit of outside hands.  

With that said, he can both wall off blockers (including difficult reach blocks) and drive guys. He’s adept at getting a punch in off the LOS before climbing to find his target at the 2nd level.  He doesn’t whiff on the 2nd level blocks nearly as much as many of his peers.  He has the strength to latch on and again, doesn’t get thrown   around/shrugged off very often like a lot of other TEs.  He looks for work too, which I always appreciate.  

All JMO of course.  I think he’s got the traits to become a solid, starting level TE by year 2.  

This is based on his games vs Utah and Wash. St.  

5 hours ago, Califan007 said:

This is why I hope we go Chase Young lol...

ETthRUrWsAMN_xP.jpg

I know.  Most of these QB’s and skill position players that get drafted top five are busts, like I said.  I like our pick more than anyone’s if we land it.

Just now, skinny21 said:

I think Asiasi is underrated as a blocker.  He does have trouble with pulling and blocking backside, and in pass pro against edge rushers.  Also important to fix his habit of outside hands.  

With that said, he can both wall off blockers (including difficult reach blocks) and drive guys. He’s adept at getting a punch in off the LOS before climbing to find his target at the 2nd level.  He doesn’t whiff on the 2nd level blocks nearly as much as many of his peers.  He has the strength to latch on and again, doesn’t get thrown   around/shrugged off very often like a lot of other TEs.  He looks for work too, which I always appreciate.  

All JMO of course.  I think he’s got the traits to become a solid, starting level TE by year 2.  

This is based on his games vs Utah and Wash. St.  

I think Asiasi is a longer term project tight end, but will very likely be a guy that can develop into something really solid long term. He's rated lower for me because I think he's more of a project than an immediate impact guy. I'd absolutely draft him as the draft wears on in the later rounds if he's near the front of the BPA list. 

Archived