Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

Going though some Josh Simpson cutups for the first time.  That first half against Ohio State was pretty ugly.  Cornell really gave him problems and Hamilton blew by him when he rushed left.  Piecing that together with him getting his ass kicked by Kinlaw and Marlon Davidson during Senior Bowl week, he's got problems with quickness.  He's got really good drive off the snap and very heavy hands, but he's not very accurate with them and he doesn't sustain his blocks as well as you'd like to see from someone with his tremendous power.  He also has heavy feet and not a lot of range or accuracy as a move blocker, and I think he's holding on for dear life in pass pro against an NFL caliber athlete.  I don't think the motor is very impressive either.

I find myself disagreeing with Zierlein's grade and NFL comparison of Kelechi Osemele.  I don't think he's that good, and I think Lemieux, Stenberg, Hunt, and Damien Lewis are all a lot better than him.

16 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Just got done watching some Antoine Winfield Jr highlights, holy crap that guy is a stud. We need a 2nd round pick so we can grab him. 

He's my top safety.

Dugger and Chinn and Jones are next. Not necessarily in that order.

12 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Going though some Josh Simpson cutups for the first time.  That first half against Ohio State was pretty ugly.  Cornell really gave him problems and Hamilton blew by him when he rushed left.  Piecing that together with him getting his ass kicked by Kinlaw and Marlon Davidson during Senior Bowl week, he's got problems with quickness.  He's got really good drive off the snap and very heavy hands, but he's not very accurate with them and he doesn't sustain his blocks as well as you'd like to see from someone with his tremendous power.  He also has heavy feet and not a lot of range or accuracy as a move blocker, and I think he's holding on for dear life in pass pro against an NFL caliber athlete.  I don't think the motor is very impressive either.

I find myself disagreeing with Zierlein's grade and NFL comparison of Kelechi Osemele.  I don't think he's that good, and I think Lemieux, Stenberg, Hunt, and Damien Lewis are all a lot better than him.

100 percent agree. He also got worked on the Senior Bowl one-on-one drills. Kindley is another OG with a questionable grade I think. He's more project than polish by a large margin speaking for myself.

3 hours ago, mhd24 said:

I'm not sure about that.  If Sweat were in this draft, he'd easily be the 2nd best DE.  He really came on during the year, and was excellent against the run (things rookie DEs struggle with).  Yeah, losing #34 sucks, but I'm not mad about the trade.  Sweat is a building block for the defense.

I don't have anything against Sweat and I hope he does become a core building block on the defense.  The issue IMO is which players you could have picked with the second last year and the higher second this year. 

3 hours ago, KDawg said:

He's my top safety.

Dugger and Chinn and Jones are next. Not necessarily in that order.

I don't like to make the Earl Thomas comparison often, but this guy has a lot of similarities. Ballhawk, hard nosed (gets it from his dad), and he's plenty athletic to make up for his lack of height. For every Earl Thomas there are multiple Karl Joseph's though. But AW2 stood out the most to me out of every safety I've watched. 

What round do you think he'll go in?

6 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

I don't like to make the Earl Thomas comparison often, but this guy has a lot of similarities. Ballhawk, hard nosed (gets it from his dad), and he's plenty athletic to make up for his lack of height. For every Earl Thomas there are multiple Karl Joseph's though. But AW2 stood out the most to me out of every safety I've watched. 

What round do you think he'll go in?

2-3. depending where teams rank him versus Dugger/Chinn

4 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Just got done watching some Antoine Winfield Jr highlights, holy crap that guy is a stud. We need a 2nd round pick so we can grab him. 

I got to get to watching him, I noticed most draft geek types are in love with him. 

5 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

The way my mock drafts simulations have been going, my choice at 66 has almost always been between Cam Dantzler, Isaiah Wilson, Prince Tega-Wanahogo, Matthew Peart, Jeremy Chinn, Kyle Dugger, and CEH.

For me that would be between Wilson and Chinn and then Dugger.   I'd probably go Wilson just because of the value of O line.  But love Chinn.  

5 hours ago, KDawg said:

If Charles is available to us in the 7th... you have to take him. But yes, ultimately I think his character stuff is going to slide him WAY down my own rankings. Still probably not below Steele, though. 

yeah I didn't care for Steele from the 2 games I watched of him. 

OL we are rumored to like that I hadn’t heard anything about until about 8 minutes ago.

Onwenu

6 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

He’s phenomenal, he really stands out when you watch the Gophers. 

5 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Appreciate the input.

But to put things in perspective, just maybe the talk of a potential Pats trade is pertinent to the thread indeed. Could they be a suitor to trade for our #2 ?

I wasn’t suggesting what you said impertinent, I attempted to indicate that I had gone off in another direction & was bringing myself back to Redskins draft stuff. 

Good Lord DJ and Zierlein must be bored during the lock down.

What stats are they using for their top ten lists?  How do you do that for offensive linemen in particular?  Also kind of feels like, if a player is already top ten at his position in the NFL, what is the point of scouting him generally?  You can pretty much just say, "yeah, he's good" and capture the truth.

Using free agency as a guide, you can kind of see where the Skins are looking in the draft (though not a perfect indicator, obviously, because when guys fall in your lap you take them)

Where it doesn't look like they're focusing:

RB, LB, DT (but could), SS.

Everything else looks pretty open. Of course, again, if the right guy falls any position can be drafted. But I'm sure there's a plan and it seems to say that for sure RB/LB are stocked and locked. But you never know with Guice/Love health concerns. 

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

Using free agency as a guide, you can kind of see where the Skins are looking in the draft (though not a perfect indicator, obviously, because when guys fall in your lap you take them)

Where it doesn't look like they're focusing:

RB, LB, DT (but could), SS.

Everything else looks pretty open. Of course, again, if the right guy falls any position can be drafted. But I'm sure there's a plan and it seems to say that for sure RB/LB are stocked and locked. But you never know with Guice/Love health concerns. 

You know Ron said he wanted to patch holes in FA and go pure BPA in the draft and it looks like that's exactly what hes doing, which is exciting. Hopefully, we can attack the positions of strength (WR, OL, DB) at every pick. 

Hi fellow bored people....I wandered into this thread, after not looking at Extremeskins in years, about a month ago and have enjoyed reading through almost the whole thing. I wanted to add some thoughts and capture my opinions on some key draft prospects in a few posts before the draft so that I can be proven right or wrong eventually. Maybe I will go by position, starting with QB.

I am bucking the trend - at least the trend outside this board - and I am a Haskins believer. I'm not afraid to be critical of the Skins, but I thought he was phenomenal at OSU in 2019, not just in terms of numbers but in terms of his pro potential. The arm is very good, the field vision and mental processing is quick, the accuracy was good, the pocket awareness is very good, his release is quick and he is accurate, at least when he gets in a rhythm. I thought he was the best QB talent, aside from Murray, in the draft, by a wide margin. I knew he was short on game experience so I expected him to need a year as a backup. He did disappoint a little last year in terms of not being mentally mature enough to have the focus to hone his craft like he should early on, and I think he "lost" a clearly stressed Jay Gruden too quickly. I don't think Gruden did him any favors either - I think he threw #7 out there too early just to show everyone he wasn't ready. That didn't need to be done. Starting at about the Detroit game it's like he started to mature a little bit, get more comfortable with the first string players, and suddenly we started to see the real Haskins potential. He still hasn't really proven anything, but to at least have the several extremely successful games at the end of the year under his belt makes him - right now - a better bet to be a good NFL prospect than just about any QB coming out this year. He can take a hit, has protected the ball (so far), you could see the growth game by game.

Don't get me wrong, his career could very well still go BUST as easily as it could go BOOM. But I think some of the immaturity last year will dissipate and I like what I see.

I'm not a huge believer in Joe Burrow. I watched him in 2018 and that was a very average college QB. He had already lost out to Haskins and was essentially a college "journeyman" QB. And his arm didn't get any stronger. He made some incredible plays in 2019 but the arm to me is still just ok and I'm not sure how that translates to the NFL especially on a bad team. That LSU offense gelled perfectly last year and made every single player on it look awesome. His accuracy and athleticism are very good. What does Burrow look like when his O-line is getting dominated and his receivers don't have a wide talent edge over their coverage? I also am unsure of the attitude. He seems like everyone's golden boy but a few things he says and does rub me the wrong way in an RG3 attention whore kind of way. But then again Haskins and many of these guys do that too. But lets remember, he is a year and a half older than Haskins is RIGHT NOW. Hes 2.5 years older than Haskins was at the time he was drafted. I don't like how he is playing games with his hometown NFL team. I don't know, maybe I'm wrong, but I don't want him. I fear his NFL career looks like Colt McCoy more than Aaron Rodgers.

I'm not as high on Tua as a pro prospect either. Lets leave the injuries aside for a moment...he WAS a very athletic QB in college, strong arm, good accuracy. But he is more of a broken play guy and an improvisor. There is a place for that in the NFL...certainly throwing on the run accurately is an NFL QB skill he has. But he didn't show me he was a guy who could manage an offense through polished, precision plays and drives. I may be biased towards the "rhythm" quarterbacks int he NFL. Drop back, make a decision, get rid of the ball. That's not Tua's game. WIth the incredible talent around him at RB, WR, TE and on the O line, he was a big play waiting to happen, stretch it out, improvise player. Now you add on the injuries. You have to question at this point, does he have the same leg talent he had a year ago, two years ago? He puts his whole body into a throw, uses his lower body well, but he needs it to be healthy. And is he going to be able to absorb punishment like an NFL QB gets? I'm worried his career looks more like Marcus Mariota than Mark Brunell. And he is also only about 6 months younger than Haskins.

My opinion might not be popular, but RIGHT NOW I would prefer to have Haskins as my QB1 than Burrow, Tua, Daniel Jones (Daniel was good last year, better than I thought, but I wonder about the fumbling and his overall mental quickness), or maybe even Josh Allen. I especially prefer to ride with Haskins AND have Chase young or a boatload of picks you could trade #2 for, than to use #2 on Tua and see what you could salvage in trade from Haskins.*

*By the way, after all this, to show how worthless my opinions on QB are, I thought Rosen was going to be pretty good. I was not a believer in Darnold or Baker Mayfield either. IN 2012 I wanted the skins to stay put and draft Tannehill rather than trade the franchise for RG3, and I preferred keeping Cousins to the Alex Smith trade. So take it for what it's worth.

Full Disclosure: I think we are drafting Chase at #2. BUT, I know a lot of people are freaking out about no "studs" in FA. I wanted to run a simulation for a trade with the Chargers, getting their 1/2/3 this year and 1/2 next year, and trading Trent to the Bucs for their 3/4 ... seeing what that would get us. One cavaet --- I think this FA cycle has really built out the depth and back-end of the roster. But I think we have room to add talented depth long-term ... most of these deals have been 1 year ... so depth is a long-term concern.

1.6: Jedrick Wills, OT Alabama

2.6: Trevon Diggs, CB Alabama

3.2: Adan Trautman, TE Dayton

3.6: Van Jefferson, WR Florida

3.12: Anfernee Jennings, Edge Alabama

4.2: Akeem Davis-Gaither, LB App State

4.11: KJ Hill, WR Ohio State

4.36: Jon Runyan, G Michigan

5.2: Troy Pride, Jr. CB, Notre Dame

31 minutes ago, Rolo Tomasie said:

He did disappoint a little last year in terms of not being mentally mature enough to have the focus to hone his craft like he should early on, and I think he "lost" a clearly stressed Jay Gruden too quickly. I don't think Gruden did him any favors either - I think he threw #7 out there too early just to show everyone he wasn't ready.

Keenum was in a walking boot leading into the game.

Gruden needed to win or he was staring the firing squad at the point of the barrel. 

McCoy had JUST returned to practice that week.

Haskins was the only healthy option. People like to blame Gruden for this, but it was circumstantial. 

Good post Rolo.  I agree with you about Haskins, but disagree with you about Burrow and Tagavailoa.  I think they're just as good as Haskins, if not a little better even.  Regardless, I think all three are close in ability, and that a team can develop each of them into a franchise QB.  But I too would rather have Haskins than them because the consideration isn't just Haskins vs Tua.  It's Haskins + Chase Young vs Tua, and that is a far greater value than Tua alone and I don't think it's even close.

I don't fully trust our organization to develop Haskins properly, but I could also see the Bengals and Dolphins failing to develop Tua/Burrow too.  Take organization out of it and I could also see Haskins ending up being a better pro than them because he has better physical tools.

Archived