Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

You know Ron said he wanted to patch holes in FA and go pure BPA in the draft and it looks like that's exactly what hes doing, which is exciting. Hopefully, we can attack the positions of strength (WR, OL, DB) at every pick. 

And those positions are deep in this class. We need more picks. I thought the Browns were offering both their 3rd rounders for Trent. I'd pull the trigger on that.

My current tackles list:

image.png.a5d0d0270d9a0dab0b4a21d89caf9718.png

I have some guys left to watch... And then the Senior Bowl. My goal is to get through each position and do a ranking, but that's going to be tough. And then do a final "senior bowl/eastwest/whatever other game/combine results final ranking.

Right now, Charlie Heck is temping for me to move ahead of Ezra Cleveland and is in consideration with Adeniji.

Saahdiq Charles is a top 5/6 talent with a bottom 5/6 character.

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I too would rather have Haskins than them because the consideration isn't just Haskins vs Tua.  It's Haskins + Chase Young vs Tua, and that is a far greater value than Tua alone and I don't think it's even close.

I agree with you and think we should trade down if we get a great offer or draft Young. (Though I think it's wise strategically to talk about drafting Tua so we're more likely to get a better trade offer so teams don't think we'll just draft Young and they can trade with Detroit. Similarly, I think the Chargers are telling everyone in the last day or two that they're happy going into the season w/ Tyrod Taylor for the opposite reason, to drive down the price of a trade that they're actually interested in to get Tua.  E.g., http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001102087/article/anthony-lynn-tyrod-taylor-could-be-chargers-qb)

But on your equation, to be fair, I think it's really:  

Haskins + Young  vs.  Tua/Haskins + the draft choice we get for the one who doesn't win the competition--and that's not nothing.

(The Cardinals got a late 2d (and a 5th the next year) for Rosen, who likely had less value than the loser of Tua/Haskins, particularly if Tua loses out b/c his health is iffy to start the season and Haskins plays well.)

I'll give my thoughts on the o-tackles next because I love watching the big nasties....

Andrew Thomas is so friggin good. I have no idea why he seems to be getting downplayed a bit by the draft media. He's number one with a bullet for me. Seems like others here agree. Maybe even close to the overused term "generational talent." Watched him just bury people in the run game all year. Also, his pass blocking is really good. He looks stiff at times, but then you see that d linemen at the college level just could not fool him with change of direction. He was like a dance partner, right there with them. Smooth. As soon as they cut, he cut with them and used the opportunity if they were off balance to just flatten them. Occasionally he took plays off, but not often. I saw very few or no holding or false start penalties - his head seems good and always in the game. I think he's a future all-pro.

His partner at GA Isaiah Wilson, he's got the body and some athleticism but to me he's kind of goofy, off balance a lot. Not as mentally there. He could have a high ceiling as a RT but needs a lot of work. I wouldn't draft him before about round 4, and I wouldn't plan to start him right away.

Wills is number 2 for me. Strong like animal! Dude is a beast, if he gets his arms on the opponent and just throws them around. His feet are pretty quick too. Not as smooth or as good pass blocking as Thomas, but still good. He's a brawler. Maybe a pro-bowler. He actually reminds me of Trent.

Wirfs is off the charts athletic and he was really good at Iowa. Occasionally though it seems like he would get surprised by a bull rush or stunt, which shouldn't happen for someone with his athletic traits and size. Especially with those tree trunks for legs. He is worth a first round pick but you have to hope and work on him a little more than the top 2 I think. Maybe mental game needs work. But he can really fill out some pads and move.

Jones seems solid. Starter material. Nothing incredible though, 2-3rd rounder, not a first for me. But with the premium on OTs maybe he sneaks in there.

Austin Jackson is athletic and quick on his feet. I like him if I could get him mid second to early third round. I think he needs to get stronger, so he might struggle at first. But he has projection.

I love Saadiq Charles, he's athletic and quick and ALWAYS gets the job done, but as others have pointed out he may be a total head case. I don't know. I'd have to research him really hard, and I'm not sure that can be done before the draft with all the travel limitations now. You better have done your homework on him already. Maybe I'd use a 6th or 7th on him. Talent wise he is maybe a second-rounder.

Cleveland sounds really good, looked great at the combine, but I admit I need to watch more Boise State games. Haven't seen enough of him (or Weaver) yet. Agree with SIP that he is probably a better prospect than Peart, who is a little light in his build for my liking. But I could stand to watch more UConn tape too. Same with Heck at Carolina. Need to see more, but I'm intrigued.

I have no idea what the media is seeing in Becton other than a huge guy who can run in a straight line pretty fast. I will leave it at that. For me, he's a second or 3rd rounder you hope can be a good starter at RT.

Agree with KDawg, Steele is NOT someone I would want. And Throckmorton can't play T, he has to be a G or C for me.

I liked Trey Adams a lot before his injuries, but I agree with (I think it was) SteveMcQueen1 that it looks like his athleticism evaporated. Maybe it comes back but its a long shot. Maybe a 7th round flier.

2 minutes ago, Rolo Tomasie said:

I'll give my thoughts on the o-tackles next because I love watching the big nasties....

Andrew Thomas is so friggin good. I have no idea why he seems to be getting downplayed a bit by the draft media. He's number one with a bullet for me. Seems like others here agree. Maybe even close to the overused term "generational talent." Watched him just bury people in the run game all year. Also, his pass blocking is really good. He looks stiff at times, but then you see that d linemen at the college level just could not fool him with change of direction. He was like a dance partner, right there with them. Smooth. As soon as they cut, he cut with them and used the opportunity if they were off balance to just flatten them. Occasionally he took plays off, but not often. I saw very few or no holding or false start penalties - his head seems good and always in the game. I think he's a future all-pro.

His partner at GA Isaiah Wilson, he's got the body and some athleticism but to me he's kind of goofy, off balance a lot. Not as mentally there. He could have a high ceiling but needs a lot of work. I wouldn't draft him before about round 4, and I wouldn't plan to start him right away.

Austin Jackson is athletic and quick on his feet. I like him if I could get him mid second to early third round. I think he needs to get stronger, so he might struggle at first. But he has projection.

Cleveland sounds really good, looked great at the combine, but I admit I need to watch more Boise State games. Haven't seen enough of him (or Weaver) yet. Agree with SIP that he is probably a better prospect than Peart, who is a little light in his build for my liking. But I could stand to watch more UConn tape too. Same with Heck at Carolina. Need to see more, but I'm intrigued.

I have no idea what the media is seeing in Becton other than a huge guy who can run in a straight line pretty fast. I will leave it at that. For me, he's a second or 3rd rounder you hope can be a good starter at RT.

Becton is a project. He is a mauling monster of a man that can move really well and can dominate the LOS. Needs to improve his footwork. People have him rated so high because of potential on size/strength/speed. And someone will take that gamble. But I just couldn't put him higher than Wirfs, Wills and Thomas at the very least. Jones, Wilson, Niang are all more pro ready I think.

Completely agree on Thomas. Best of the bunch.

Wilson is very... routine. He doesn't do anything really well. He's not explosive off the ball. He doesn't maul you... He just gets his body between the defender and the ball and keeps it there. He's bland. But NFL starter quality, imo. 

Jackson has all the tools. He's a lot like Niang. But he's one step below him for me simply because of what you said... He gets knocked back a bit too much for my liking. Will need NFL strength. So he's *kind of* a project, but his skills and athleticism are NFL quality for sure. 

I don't love Cleveland. He's good. And getting him wouldn't be a bad thing. I just have no desire to snag him. My favorite prospects in those middling 3-5 rounds right now are Niang #1, Heck #2. I think Jackson gets drafted earlier because of the USC thing and his skillset. But I think Niang is better. (Pre Senior Bowl/combine grades, anyways).

You're a solid addition here, man. Keep posting!

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

My current tackles list:

I have some guys left to watch... And then the Senior Bowl. My goal is to get through each position and do a ranking, but that's going to be tough. And then do a final "senior bowl/eastwest/whatever other game/combine results final ranking.

Right now, Charlie Heck is temping for me to move ahead of Ezra Cleveland and is in consideration with Adeniji.

3DF60D7E-0D38-486C-9649-B243A7D6CB03.gif

Nice to see the Dawg Gaither with some Adeniji love, the forgotten man in the OL class. 😕

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

My current tackles list:

Among the guys the tackles draft geeks are mixed on I am a big Wilson guy.  Big Cleveland guy.  I haven't watched Josh Jones yet but I see PFF has pushed him for months.  I haven't watched Austin, yet.  I like Niang a lot.  I didn't like what I saw from Bartch and Steele. I am not in love with Wanogho but he has some talent, I'd easily have him over Bartch so that's my main disagreement from this ranking.  But otherwise I agree with most of this.  Wilson in particular who I like a lot if he falls to the third, is becoming my man crush du jour if we have a shot at him in that range.  I think Wilson might be the most underhyped tackle in this draft albeit some draft geeks are into him.  

Gipson is very good.

On another note, SIP, Prince has no balance whatsoever. He is just so... bumbling. He has a hard time maintaining blocks, isn't that explosive, doesn't use his body as a shield and isn't great at getting to the second level. I'm not a huge fan. I don't see "it". At all with him. 

5 hours ago, Romberjo said:

But on your equation, to be fair, I think it's really:  

Haskins + Young  vs.  Tua/Haskins + the draft choice we get for the one who doesn't win the competition--and that's not nothing. 

If we draft Tua, there won't be a competition.  Drafting him means he's the guy.  But I think the situation is different from Arizona's because Tua isn't healthy enough to play and Kyler Murray was.  They were able to deal Rosen on draft day before his value could bottom out, and make the change year one.  We'd need to trade Haskins on draft day in order to get decent value too IMO, but then we won't have a starter heading into next season.  So then we're left with two options:

1 - Haskins starts, he struggles, and we end up having to sell him off for pennies next offseason.

2 - Haskins starts, he plays well, and we end up realizing we shouldn't have drafted Tua and that we'll never get a commensurate value to Chase Young in return for trading him.

6 hours ago, KDawg said:

My current tackles list:

I don't understand why some mocks have Thomas dropping to the 3rd or 4th OT selected. Like you I have him #1. I too have Wirfs #2 with Wills #3.

I am not a big fan of Heck, he seems slow and awkward on the move.He is good if the rusher isn't real quick or have multiple moves due to his long arms.

If guesses are correct that RR is trying to pick guys that are good in the locker room I question if he would select any one with character issues like Charles...who I do like.

I like Cleveland a lot and have him above Adeniji.

6 hours ago, KDawg said:

What does everyone think of Bryce Hall?

I've been watching his games and his play doesn't sayy corner to me... But it says safety. I kinda like him, but not all that much at CB. 

I am a big fan of Hall! He is one of the best tacklers, good hitter and cover guy. He just lacks the speed to stay with the fast receivers in man. Would be great at safety and can move around.

6 hours ago, KDawg said:

On another note, SIP, Prince has no balance whatsoever. He is just so... bumbling. He has a hard time maintaining blocks, isn't that explosive, doesn't use his body as a shield and isn't great at getting to the second level. I'm not a huge fan. I don't see "it". At all with him. 

I did a whole report on Prince here where I flat out mentioned his balanced issues so I am aware.  I called him a project.  But he does have some talent.  His hands are fairly strong, he can anchor when he maintains his balance.  He's not one of my guys so to speak but if I am picking someone in the lower rounds, I'd take him over Bartch. 

Prince played against some real competition.  Bartch on the other hand played against inferior competition.  To my eyes, he plays high, sometimes he loses his balance himself, looks a bit stiff to me in his movement.  When Bartch isn't playing against players from colleges like Chapman like he did last season 😀,  he might be in for a rude awakening, especially if they've got some moves/speed IMO.

IMO you got more clay to work with as to Prince over Bartch. 

Though of the 2nd tier guy types that may drop into the third my 3 favs at the moment are:  Wilson, Niang, Cleveland, 

Hello Everyone! GM Mock draft starts at Noon tomorrow. Rosters will be locked down at Noon Tomorrow, First pick is at 12pm tomorrow!! 

Please send in your listS of preferred players to me or @goskins10 to keep the draft moving. Let’s really try to get through this with a little urgency. Best way to avoid Long waits is to just send us your lists.

19 hours ago, KDawg said:

I agree with your complaints about Wanogho.  He has almost a total lack of feel for the game, and his lack of playing experience is really, really obvious.  He's very big with a trim build and he's very athletic, but I think he needs so much developmental work that you'll spend a ton of his rookie contract trying to get him ready to play.  It looks like Auburn tried to move him around and use him for some tight end-like functions.  But he wasn't effective, and he probably just needed to stay at one spot to facilitate his development.

I think he could eventually become a solid pass blocker, but he is such a bad run blocker that he's an unappealing project to me.  I've been passing on him in my mock draft simulations.  I think Geron Christian is better than him.

Archived