Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

3 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

I believe I speak for most of us that Traut and Kmet are the top 2 and that the skins would be much improved moving forward with either on the roster.

Beyond the top two we all have A O and others in varying order.

I am thrilled to read and discuss with competent posters like these TE posts. You are all open eyes to the blocking capabilities of the options. So many ignore or devalue this important yet boring aspect of the position! Guys like Asiasi and Hopkins deserve these accolades that years ago would not have received. I may have these 2 higher than you for that reason and downgraded others because quite frankly, they don't do it for what seems to be RR's plan.  Other guys I overvalue are Pinkney and Deguara to a lesser degree. 

I do not love Parkinson but find these posts fascinating and will review him more.

Again thanks for the great discussions in this thread!

Ya it’s great. Keep in mind these aren’t my final rankings. I still have to include the post season bowls, the combine and rewatch some guys. 

1 minute ago, DWinzit said:

I was thinking earlier, everyone has them selecting Burrow.

What if they traded out and the new team selected Young or Tua. What then would the Redskins do? Burrow??? I'd trade back 

I believe there is zero chance they would select Tua. RR dealt with an athletic injury prone QB for years and I don't think he wants to do it again. That's why he is in on the two current QB's.

Ive said it a million times that I think Detroit is a threat to Young to the Skins. Especially if Cincy likes 2 of the 3 top QBs.

4 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Anyone have good video of Ashtyn Davis? I feel like the stuff on YouTube doesn’t do him justice. It’s hard to watch individual games for safeties because of how often they aren’t in the damn frame. :ols:

So you need to actually see the player you are evaluating?  Apparently you don't have a very good feel for the game. 

Work on it!

7 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I can't see that. I am reading FA differently. Someone put it well over in the FA thread, but the gist is that this is an audition year for Haskins. The team will put some young talent around him (Draft) and making sure he's "the guy" before spending a ton of money to surround him with talent. 

we did offer Cooper 110mil - is that not a ton of money?

2 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

we did offer Cooper 110mil - is that not a ton of money?

For sure. I think that's a decent approach though. You identify a borderline elite talent that is young (25/26) and can be part of the rebuild/revamp efforts because he will be here in 2021 and 2022 when you;re really hoping to compete. Hooper may have fit that bill too. But outside of those two, I can understand why they held off on adding much else.

FWIW, Fuller is super young too. Think he's 25 or 26. So it makes sense to get him on board as he'll still be in his prime during the 2021-2023 window. Everyone else has been on 1 year prove it deals or vets brought in to compete and provide depth.

7 hours ago, DWinzit said:

Patience my friend. It the draft was next week I would agree. There are way too many holes in the roster.

However, there is plenty of time. They are loading up with solid backups which we have not always had. There will be numerous players that will be released as we move closer to the draft and the team is a nice spot cap wise. Also at some point the TW adventure will find closure leaving the team with needed draft capital, a needed player or both. IMO there will also be another trade of a Def front 7 player that do not really fit RR's vision. 

I think we can add DBs still in FA, but to me we are looking at issues with LT, another WR to go with Terry Mc, another talented TE is essential, and a couple of pieces of the D, 

If we sign a CB, another FS, plug in Daryl Williams on the OL, then I’d be happy with Young at #2 following in the mid rounds by a WR, Hopkins at TE, and Brooks at MLB.

3 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

For sure. I think that's a decent approach though. You identify a borderline elite talent that is young (25/26) and can be part of the rebuild/revamp efforts because he will be here in 2021 and 2022 when you;re really hoping to compete. Hooper may have fit that bill too. But outside of those two, I can understand why they held off on adding much else.

FWIW, Fuller is super young too. Think he's 25 or 26. So it makes sense to get him on board as he'll still be in his prime during the 2021-2023 window. Everyone else has been on 1 year prove it deals or vets brought in to compete and provide depth.

Nah, I think they like our young talent but we’re more than happy to spend money. They just couldn’t attract the talent here.

In fact, I’m almost wondering as time has passed that they have decided to hold off because they feel the 2020 season is going down the pan due to COVID-19. Quite frankly I think that is more than feasible.

1 minute ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

In fact, I’m almost wondering as time has passed that they have decided to hold off because they feel the 2020 season is going down the pan due to COVID-19. Quite frankly I think that is more than feasible.

So this thought crossed my mind the other day ... I don't know how likely it is at this point that the season is cancelled. But how would that work for the 2021 draft. Would we be given the #2 pick based on the 2019 results? And if so ... if teams are starting to think that 2020 could be canceled ... wouldn't the Bengals take Chase Young at #1 thinking they could potentially land Trevor Lawrence at #1 next year? I guess they could just take Burrow and take BPA in 2021 too if that were the case.

I'm taking Chase at #2 this year, locking him onto the roster, and going OT at #2 in 2021 if you told me today that 2020 won't be playerd.

FWIW, despite how awesome that would be, I am NOT rooting for that to happen haha. I would hate a lift without football.

When watching players individual games, and then their highlight reels...

One thing I've learned... If their highlight reel is 3 minutes long and has a single play and replays from 2 angles and shows time between the plays.... dude didn't have many highlights. Hello, Shyheim Carter.

I hate forming an opinion off of just highlight reels. You miss so much context, compared to watching at least cut-ups of a game. Van Jefferson vs Derek Stingley in the Florida/LSU game is a great example, because there is so much nuance to each of Van's routes and how they build off of each other that a person would miss if they just evaluated off of highlights.

image.png.796c2effe711aa9bd03a06812bdc79fe.png

Full disclosure: A lot of this is based on feel. You can't see these guys well enough to get a real good feel for how they see the game from the back end. There are so many factors that go into being a good safety, and adequately scouting them without the aide of coaches tape is a difficult and, quite frankly, nearly impossible task. 

Delpit I struggled a little with at 2. I like the 4 guys behind him more than him. There's something about him that just says... I guess I think he plays a little soft at times from what I believe the guy is capable of. But he is around the ball quite a bit. His upside in an NFL scheme is through the roof with him as a safety, so it was hard to discount him at 2. 

Bryce Hall is an interesting one. The guy is often projected as a corner, but man. The dude can cover, get down hill and thump. He goes to the ball and uses a variety of techniques to strip/punch/rip the ball out from offensive players. I think he fits the safety role well. He is all over the field and tackles like a maniac.

#4-6: My favorite three aside from McKinney. But they are all potential based. Winfield has the production at the highest level, for sure. I wonder about him needing to range as I don't think he has elite ability to range as a FS. But I think he can cover/play in the box as a SS quite well. He's a little short. That's the reason I say "potential" with him. Otherwise I think I'd have him a lot higher up. I think Dugger can play WILL or SS. Chinn is a center fielder that you want to keep away from man coverage but can literally do everything else. All three of these guys click and trigger like ****ing bad ass **** suckers. 

#8 Geno Stone. Differs big from a lot of draftniks. I think I have him higher. His issue is he has just one gear: 100%. That gets him in trouble when he doesn't break down and tackle. He wants to crush everyone... and he did in college. He's another potential guy. 

#10 Khaleke Hudson: Seems to have a lot of the things you want in a safety... Ballhawk, edge guy, box defender. For a guy as big as he is, though, I'd like to see him be a touch more physical than he is. And I wonder if he's a better fit at linebacker. 

Rodney Clemons is my sleeper in the group.

3 minutes ago, Fresh8686 said:

I hate forming an opinion off of just highlight reels. You miss so much context, compared to watching at least cut-ups of a game. Van Jefferson vs Derek Stingley in the Florida/LSU game is a great example, because there is so much nuance to each of Van's routes and how they build off of each other that a person would miss if they just evaluated off of highlights.

I try to watch some individual games. Often times skimming through them for plays that look impactful. Then highlight reels. If I find guys I really like I go back and watch full games. I've found some guys that were highlight reel Fool's Gold and I've found some guys that I liked in their reels but then looked even better in their cut ups of games. 

Internet scouts, like "us" are always going to struggle to compete with the professionals because we don't have the same access to the tape/coaches/players that they do. It's not easy to scout these dudes. Especially after the top 10 or so at each position as material is a lot less readily available. 

5 hours ago, KDawg said:

Ya it’s great. Keep in mind these aren’t my final rankings. I still have to include the post season bowls, the combine and rewatch some guys. 

Ive said it a million times that I think Detroit is a threat to Young to the Skins. Especially if Cincy likes 2 of the 3 top QBs.

Interesting scenario for sure. We would then HAVE to trade back with Miami to let them take Burrow....wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. Boy, what a draft that would be. If Cincy moves to #3 it will be a mad dash to get to #2 to get Burrow for sure. Would we than take Burrow????

4 hours ago, KDawg said:

Delpit I struggled a little with at 2. I like the 4 guys behind him more than him. There's something about him that just says... I guess I think he plays a little soft at times from what I believe the guy is capable of. But he is around the ball quite a bit. His upside in an NFL scheme is through the roof with him as a safety, so it was hard to discount him at 2. 

Bryce Hall is an interesting one. The guy is often projected as a corner, but man. The dude can cover, get down hill and thump. He goes to the ball and uses a variety of techniques to strip/punch/rip the ball out from offensive players. I think he fits the safety role well. He is all over the field and tackles like a maniac.

#4-6: My favorite three aside from McKinney. But they are all potential based. Winfield has the production at the highest level, for sure. I wonder about him needing to range as I don't think he has elite ability to range as a FS. But I think he can cover/play in the box as a SS quite well. He's a little short. That's the reason I say "potential" with him. Otherwise I think I'd have him a lot higher up. I think Dugger can play WILL or SS. Chinn is a center fielder that you want to keep away from man coverage but can literally do everything else. All three of these guys click and trigger like ****ing bad ass **** suckers. 

#8 Geno Stone. Differs big from a lot of draftniks. I think I have him higher. His issue is he has just one gear: 100%. That gets him in trouble when he doesn't break down and tackle. He wants to crush everyone... and he did in college. He's another potential guy.

I am with you on the top seven.  I have Winfield slightly higher as I find him a "safer"pick.

I did cool on Delpit like most early in year but belings a 2.

I LOVE that you have Hall 3rd. He is a favorite of mine. I'm sure others won't be with you on this but I am all in!

There are a few other CB's that may be better at S. One might be Demarkus Acy who intrigues me like Hall, versatility.  

Stone, ehh. 

Thanks again for sharing your work.

4 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

I am with you on the top seven.  I have Winfield slightly higher as I find him a "safer"pick.

I did cool on Delpit like most early in year but belings a 2.

I LOVE that you have Hall 3rd. He is a favorite of mine. I'm sure others won't be with you on this but I am all in!

There are a few other CB's that may be better at S. One might be Demarkus Acy who intrigues me like Hall, versatility.  

Stone, ehh. 

Thanks again for sharing your work.

I'll undoubtedly cool on Stone. But after 7 the list kind of falls off a cliff and starts getting away from potential starters into more rotational guys really quick. I like Stone's potential... Mainly because I'm a sucker for guys roaming center field and dropping napalm in the form of shoulder pads. 

I really wish Khaleke played bigger. I want to like him more than I do. 

With the way things are shaping up with covid19 its is almost a lock we go with Chase as he is so more of a sure thing than any other scenario. We are looking in the face of a potential lost season, so much like the stock market teams will resort to going with the most comforting selection for the future.

Just now, rumplestilskin said:

With the way things are shaping up with covid19 its is almost a lock we go with Chase as he is so more of a sure thing than any other scenario. We are looking in the face of a potential lost season so much like the stock market teams will resort to going with the most comforting selection for the future.

I really don’t think this happens. 

It could. But I don’t think so.

9 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I'll undoubtedly cool on Stone. But after 7 the list kind of falls off a cliff and starts getting away from potential starters into more rotational guys really quick. I like Stone's potential... Mainly because I'm a sucker for guys roaming center field and dropping napalm in the form of shoulder pads. 

I really wish Khaleke played bigger. I want to like him more than I do. 

Stone plays like your Quarterman :806:

Yes, large drop off after 7. That's why I see a guy like Acy being used like you have Hall.

5 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Stone plays like your Quarterman :806:

Yes, large drop off after 7. That's why I see a guy like Acy being used like you have Hall.

I don’t see Quarterman at all with Stone. Stone seems like he’s a better athlete but wildly out of control at times.

Quarterman is extremely measured, weaves through traffic and uses his hands to block destruct.

Where they have something in common, though, to your point, is they make contact with blockers and lose leverage because they are trying to hit so hard. Shaq just gains the leverage back. Stone sticks a hand out hoping the guy trips :ols:

Ill check out Acy.

12 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I don’t see Quarterman at all with Stone. Stone seems like he’s a better athlete but wildly out of control at times.

Quarterman is extremely measured, weaves through traffic and uses his hands to block destruct.

Where they have something in common, though, to your point, is they make contact with blockers and lose leverage because they are trying to hit so hard. Shaq just gains the leverage back. Stone sticks a hand out hoping the guy trips :ols:

Ill check out Acy.

Yeah I meant the two love their hitting!

IMO Acy is one a few CB worthy of a late flier at Safety.

19 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

So this thought crossed my mind the other day ... I don't know how likely it is at this point that the season is cancelled. But how would that work for the 2021 draft. Would we be given the #2 pick based on the 2019 results? And if so ... if teams are starting to think that 2020 could be canceled ... wouldn't the Bengals take Chase Young at #1 thinking they could potentially land Trevor Lawrence at #1 next year? I guess they could just take Burrow and take BPA in 2021 too if that were the case.

I'm taking Chase at #2 this year, locking him onto the roster, and going OT at #2 in 2021 if you told me today that 2020 won't be playerd.

FWIW, despite how awesome that would be, I am NOT rooting for that to happen haha. I would hate a lift without football.

Of course that would mean the College games won't be played either so the draft will be a bit more risky.  Although the rules state all teams would move up 1 pick while Cincy would be rotated to the 32d pick we'd pick #1.

(Ok I made up that rule in the last sentence).

Colby Parkinson is a teddy bear.  He's talented but I question his fit for the NFL.  The league is not for normal people.  It's basically a highly exploitative cult where it feels like the only nice players who can handle it for a long time are the super religious ones who are used to constantly and uncritically buying in and operating on faith.

8 hours ago, volsmet said:

Dawg hates the Utes, evidently. 

I couldn’t find any really good video of them. So I didn’t know how to accurately grade them. 

im gonna have to go watch Anae again and see if they flash on the stuff that he has on the Tube.

8 hours ago, volsmet said:

Dawg hates the Utes, evidently. 

Yeah Utes x2 possibly

While a little sketchy a tweener, I'd put Blackmon on the list in the late teens. I don't see him as a corner.

Burgess actually may deserve a higher spot. He is short but does everything fairly well. 

Interested to hear your thoughts KDawg

Archived