Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

5 minutes ago, volsmet said:

What bothers you about it my man??

Less data. For instance, you probably saw the PFF statistical projection that factors in tape and combine athleticism. I think there is a little to that. 

If I weren’t a Tua guy, I’d take Chase 10/10 times without thinking about it, without combine numbers. I’d feel a little better about it though to see a 4.6 flat and a 40 inch vert and 10’10” broad jump. 

I just like it when everything lines up neatly. 

If I’m the GM though, I still think Tua is every inch as good as, and will be just as impactful as Deshaun Watson. I’m grabbing that guy and the rest will sort itself out. 

5 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Less data. For instance, you probably saw the PFF statistical projection that factors in tape and combine athleticism. I think there is a little to that. 

If I weren’t a Tua guy, I’d take Chase 10/10 times without thinking about it, without combine numbers. I’d feel a little better about it though to see a 4.6 flat and a 40 inch vert and 10’10” broad jump. 

I just like it when everything lines up neatly. 

If I’m the GM though, I still think Tua is every inch as good as, and will be just as impactful as Deshaun Watson. I’m grabbing that guy and the rest will sort itself out. 

CCAEF691-5124-4012-8160-E63473005D33.gif

Do we still love Alabama players? Under Bruce we sure did. Is Kyle as Alabama crazy as Bruce and Dan? I don't know. It's something we will learn in time. In some respects, this is Kyle's first drat. It's also Ron's first draft with the Redskins and his first draft being the top dog in the food chain. Part of the question is what statement both/either wants to make.

If it's Rivera's choice you'd have to imagine he would lean towards defense. If it's Kyle I think he's a pretty strong draft board guy. We haven't made a lot of reaches in the last few years. Haskins, Allen, and Payne (to a lesser degree) all fell to us. The other thing to think about is over the last several drafts there was no subterfuge. Pretty much every draft picker guessed the Redskins first pick correctly. So, that too makes me think Young over Tua.

I'm not sure if this post belongs in the Haskins thread or in the draft thread.

13 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Do we still love Alabama players? Under Bruce we sure did. Is Kyle as Alabama crazy as Bruce and Dan? I don't know. It's something we will learn in time.

I have a feeling someone in the FO saw a similar version of the list below circa 2017 and just said "screw it, we'll draft mostly Bama and Ohio State players in the early rounds from now on".

1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Miami hasn’t accumulated about 90mil in cap space and something like 23 drafts picks across the next two draft to settle for second best or play safe.

I reckon if Tua is their guy then they will go all in much further than most expect. 

Or they might have accumulated all of those draft picks and cap space to try and rebuild their team from the bottom up, not spend it all to move up for a QB who hasn't been able to stay healthy and who's coming off of a really bad season ending injury. 

That doesn't necessarily mean they don't like Tua, but accumulating all of those picks to use them a bunch of them on such a risky (IMO) prospect is really rolling those dice. If he doesn't end up being the same guy he was before his injury or he seems to regain it but still can't stay healthy in other ways then that's a ton of draft capital wasted and someone's getting the axe. 

If the reports of them also liking Herbert are true (or if they're really impressed by him at the combine) then they'll probably sit at 5. One of those guys will be there.

Another dude I like.  But granted i am a cheap date with receivers this year, I got many man crushes so many more than last year. Of that next tier group of receivers, Mims, B. Edwards (pre injury), Tyler Johnson, Pittman are among my favs but got plenty others I like, too. 

Another dude who I touted here.  As I suspected, the new "culture change" with Bruce gone is now they are taking their cues 100% from this draft thread as they should.   😁

Has Forbes been reading these boards too? Interesting to throw out an Anderson trade. I wonder what that could get us. Understanding we have some depth at edge especially if we bring back Kerrigan on an extension makes him very expendable. Doubt we get much although maybe someone will be intrigued by a bargain pass rush project. Maybe Anderson for Hurst :)

I am so torn on Chase to be honest. However, if Tua gets a full clean bill of health on March 9th, as expected, we can get a serious haul of draft picks, be it Tua or Burrow.  It may be too much to pass up in rational thought. I am a 100% Chase guy, but damn, if we can get 2 1sts & a 2nd (or 3 1sts!!!)...I just don't see how we can intellectually pass that up.  Trust me, I desperately want Chase, and will absolutely not be disappointed with his pick regardless, but we can't fall in love with one guy (see RG3) and ignore what we can do to improve across the board.  It is going to be a helluva time until the draft. I like our position and hope we use it to our advantage.  Tough choices coming. Hail

@Riggo'sRangers I'm with you. But I am not sure we can really get a "haul" that everyone seems to expect.

From LAC or CAR we are likely talking about their 1st, 2nd and 3rd this year and a 1st next year. To me, not sure that cuts it.

The Raiders could offer us #12, #19, their pair of 3rd rounders ... but even if you threw in a 2021 #1 from Vegas ... I don't feel great about who might be there at #12 for my first selection.

From Miami, I don't know how much they're willing to part with. But many seem to think it's unlikely they'd give up much more than a 5+18. How bad do we want a future 2021 pick? A 2nd rounder thrown in?

Would you take #5, #26, #57 and a 2021 #1 from Miami? I wouldn't.

Would you take #5, #18, #39 and a 2021 #1? Then we may be in the ballpark. But I have a hard time seeing Miami doing that.

Can we get a 2nd ... or at worst a 3rd, 4th and 2021 3rd from Detroit to move back and let them take Tua and we take Chase? Possibly. And maybe all of this is to push them to make a decision re: Stafford, and hopefully trade with us to take Tua.

CB: NOAH IGBINOGHENE, AUBURN

Honorable Mention: C.J. Henderson, Florida

Any time you see track stats in a player's football bio, you know they’re about to put up some numbers at the Combine. Igbinoghene started his career as a triple jumper and wide receiver at Auburn before switching to corner and focusing on football full-time. It’s not simply explosiveness and speed that Igbinoghene possesses — he’s got some of the smoothest hips in this class as well.

S: KYLE DUGGER, LENOIR-RHYNE

Honorable Mention: Geno Stone, Iowa

This one is easy. Dugger looks poised to put up Derwin James-esque numbers. You don’t get noticed as a D-II prospect because of your instincts — you get noticed because you’re on a different level athletically than everyone else. At 6-foot-2, 220 pounds, Dugger explodes through ball carriers left and right on film. He was ferocious through contact even at the Senior Bowl. It’s tough to really glean too much from the Lenoir-Rhyne tape, but athletically this is a no-brainer.

@Riggo'sRangers In running a FanSpeak with Matt Miller's draft board ... a couple different ways to play out #5, #18, #39 from Miami for #2.

Scenario 1:

1.5: Jedrick Wills, OT Alabama

1.18: Patrick Queen, LB LSU

2.39: Cole Kmet, TE Notre Dame

Scenario 2: Trade for 5/18/39 and then trade 3 for 14/2/3 from TB

1.14: AJ Epenesa, Edge Iowa

2.7: Cole Kmet, TE Notre Dame

2.13.: Cameron Dantzler, Missisippi State

3.12: Van Jefferson, WR Florida

Scenario 3:

1.5: Isaiah Simmons, LB Clemson

1.18: AJ Epenesa, Edge Iowa

Those are all intriguing scenarios. Not going to lie. But I also fear none of those (outside of Wills and maybe Simmons) are sure-fire pro-bowl caliber players.

“Arkansas TE C.J. O'Grady said a missed workout led to him getting kicked off Arkansas this past season. Was open that he screwed up and adamant he's learned from it… He's got Day 2 talent but a lot of red flags” – Mike Renner

O'Grady flashed potential when he was on the field, and he owns some of the best after-the-catch ability in this tight end class. In his four seasons with Arkansas, O'Grady averaged 6.3 yards after the catch per reception, and he broke 17 tackles on his 87 career catches. In 2018 alone, O'Grady owned the sixth-highest receiving grade at his position at 87.5. The off-field issues may see him slip to Day 3 or later. If he had no red flags, though, PFF would see him as a top-three tight end in the class.

I'm still learning … still adjusting to all the different techniques that these tests require, so I feel like March 25th at my pro day is when I'm going to be best and feel most comfortable.” – Tyler Johnson on why he isn't running the 40-yard dash at the Combine

Johnson addressed the questions as to why he decided not to run this week in Indianapolis, stating that he was still working on his technique to run as best he could at his pro day in March. As Mike Renner said in the PFF Draft Guide, Johnson “may not wow with his speed,” but he converted on the downfield opportunities that he saw in the Minnesota offense this past season. Johnson caught 13 of his 18 targets 20 or more yards downfield for 485 yards and four touchdowns during the 2019 season.

Jalen Reagor really hammered home that his versatility is a big strength, said he has experience playing outside, slot, RB and QB dating back to high school — he's eyeing a much more versatile role in the NFL than his at TCU.” – Austin Gayle

Over the course of his three-year career with the Horned Frogs, Reagor lined up on the outside on 84% of his total offensive snaps. He's among the elite receivers in this class as far as athleticism goes, and he is in the running for quickest 40-yard dash time on Thursday with 4.2 seconds being the target. The production was less than ideal for Reagor in 2019, but we can't forget about the all-around bad situation he was in at TCU. In addition to being limited to the outside, Reagor saw the fourth-worst rate of accurate targets according to PFF's QB charting process.

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2020-nfl-scouting-combine-notable-quotes-and-analysis-from-day-1

18 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

@Riggo'sRangers In running a FanSpeak with Matt Miller's draft board ... a couple different ways to play out #5, #18, #39 from Miami for #2.

Scenario 1:

1.5: Jedrick Wills, OT Alabama

2.39: Cole Kmet, TE Notre Dame

Scenario 2: Trade for 5/18/39 and then trade 3 for 14/2/3 from TB

1.14: AJ Epenesa, Edge Iowa

2.13.: Cameron Dantzler, Missisippi State

3.12: Van Jefferson, WR Florida

Scenario 3:

1.5: Isaiah Simmons, LB Clemson

1.18: AJ Epenesa, Edge Iowa

Those are all intriguing scenarios. Not going to lie. But I also fear none of those (outside of Wills and maybe Simmons) are sure-fire pro-bowl caliber players.

What gives Queen the edge over Murray for you, JMU?

3 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

Is anyone bothered, at all, by Chase Young not working out? Has he said if he will work out/run at a pro day?

Am I bothered that a guy who practiced hundreds of times in college and had a bazillion sacks isnt going to run around in shorts one more time now that hes done with college?

No, Im not.  I cant fathom anything more pointless.

Archived