Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

I just looked at some of Zierlein's QB comparisons.

Tua - Mark Brunnell

Burrow - Kurt Warner

Stanley - Mason Rudolph

Love - Blake Bortles

Eason - Carson Palmer/Brock Osweiler

Herbert - Carson Wentz

Fromm - Colt McCoy

Hurts - Tim Tebow

Luton - Davis Webb

Patterson - Jeff Garcia

There are some pitfalls in this QB class.  One day you all will appreciate the ****ing thunderbolt strike of luck we got in having Haskins fall into our laps in 2019. 

First off, that Jake Fromm comparison is dead on.  I am overpowered by a sense of Colt McCoy when watching Georgia.

Second, that Herbert comparison is tasty but he's not nearly as good an improvisor and creative football player as Wentz, and that is a huge part of what makes Wentz terrifying.  He's not going to end up being as good as Wentz. 

Third, that Hurts comparison is dead ****ing on.  Jalen "Poor Man's Tebow" Hurts is now his name.

Fourth, that Love comparison is frightening

Fifth, that Tua comparison is arresting.

Sixth, that Burrow comparison is brilliant.

Seventh, that Eason comparison provides a massive range in outcomes.

Eighth, that Stanley comparison feels generous to him.

I rewatched a Deguara game.  I recall now my initial take about him.  Physically he looks to me like Cooley.  H back-TE.  He moves well for his size.  He's not a hot blocker though.  He's willing at times but not only isn't he a people mover but strong DE's can push him out of the way.  Athletically I bet he tests well at the combine -- he looks fast and agile for a TE. 

10 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I am not in a Zierlien has got it cooking mode this morning after digesting his analogy that Harrison Bryant plays like Kittle. 😀  I like Harrison Bryant but I don't see that analogy being that on point. 

I don't see a heck of a lot similarities between Tua and Brunell aside from they are both lefties and have sneaky mobility.  Tua with the faster release, better accuracy, and a lethal deep ball.   I think McShay's analogy to Brees is more on point.   I didn't realize Saban said the same until just now when I looked for the McShay article. 

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/alabama-football/tua-tagovailoa-drew-brees-todd-mcshay-nfl-draft-2020-top-5/

But if I get Tua, who is right (healthwise), and his hip is back (to 100 percent) and he’s got that same twitch — he’s a lefty version of Drew Brees,” McShay said during the show. “But we just aren’t going to know. It’s one of the most unique cases that I’ve ever seen at the quarterback position because you’re not going to know making that decision but how do you pass on him knowing there’s a chance he could become your franchise quarterback and become one of the elite players and lead you to a Super Bowl?”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/02/17/nick-saban-tua-tagavailoa-like-drew-brees-and-aaron-rodgers/

Saban told Albert Breer of SI.com that his former quarterback had traits in common with some of the best in the game.

“I think he’s a lot like Drew Brees. I always thought Aaron Rodgers was a lot like that as a player too,” Saban said. “Not overly big, accurate with the ball, really good judgment, decision-making. Those guys are the style of player. I would never say the expectation should be he would accomplish what those guys have, I’d never wanna put that on a guy. But that’s the style of player he is.”

Like Brees, the 6-foot Tagovailoa doesn’t have the kind of measurables people look for in quarterbacks, but Saban sees qualities that are far more important.

“Really can rid of the ball quickly, and his accuracy is unbelievable, which, to me, is the most compelling thing a quarterback can have,” Saban said. “It’s good judgment about where you throw the ball, get it out of your hand when you need to get it out of your hand, and be accurate with it so the people that are catching it can catch it and run with it. That’s what he is. He makes a lot of really, really good throws in tight windows, which is the biggest difference between college quarterbacks and pro quarterbacks.

“Pro quarterbacks have to do that because there’s a lot more man-to-man. I think he’s proven that he can do that in his college career here.”

9 minutes ago, KDawg said:

And the fact he’s not being totally honest about it is a clear red flag RE: O’Grady

Agree, that's part of my point.  That sounds like pure BS by him. 

19 minutes ago, KDawg said:

And the fact he’s not being totally honest about it is a clear red flag RE: O’Grady

Yeah no way am I buying that a single missed workout got him kicked off the team. Only way that happens is if it's the final straw in a long line of much bigger issues. That he's being coy or even possibly dishonest about it is really worrying. 

16 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Work horse, not a show horse.  Everyone knows he'll test average.  His athleticism isn't his selling point.

That was kind of Ryan Grant's shtick too.  Now Tyler Johnson is a bit bigger, so that helps.  but I'm worried that Johnson's only NFL spot he can consistently produce in is Slot.

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

For the record, I think that’s awful, too.

Actually, that's not a bad comparison.  It's way better than the Byron Leftwich comparison everyone else made.  Dwayne is a better athlete than Zierlein realized, better than almost any of us realzied.  And a better athlete than Bledsoe was, which is a meaningful difference.  He can move, he just can't run a ****in 40 and he looks slow until you see him actually scooting around in pads.

Zierlein's profiles and number grades for Dwayne and Tua are pretty dead on IMO.  The difference between them as prospects is not that big.  He's gotten guys wrong before (Baker Mayfield vis a vis Sam Darnold), but he's gotten the studs from the past two years right: Tua, Burrow, Kyler Murray, and Haskins.  Tua is a marginal upgrade over Haskins.

So back and forth on the #2...

I think I have made up my mind though...

looking at our total 2020 draft picks, then looking at our 3-13 record it’s time for a major revamp on a 3 year plan, not a one season plan...

Here is what I think will end up happening

As much as I would LOVE to get Chase Young, we lose to much picking him. Way to much matter of fact. 
You have to factor in what his value is without leaving out what your losing taking him...

is he really worth losing two potential extra first rounders? Plus the jelly...like maybe a second, and a couple 4ths? 
for the record, I think for Miami to move up they have to offer 

5-18 and a 2021 first...plus jelly

So again CY worth passing on all that? i say no...we have to many needs.

And, is LB a need at number 5, after we trade down...

I say no to that to. we have a future stud LB...don’t need two, with all the other holes

As much as it pains me to say this...@#5 the redskins need to take the best OT avail.

The skins will get better, and their draft picks will not be high again....for a long time...I believe this! 

We need to grab a OT while we can....

At 18 ...best CB 

If we pick up a 2nd in trade best Safety 

3rd wr

4th OL 

i like this strategy for the future of the team, not for just this season...

Pre-Combine NFL Draft rankings: McKinney, Delpit lead assorted group of safeties

https://theathletic.com/1632389/2020/02/25/pre-combine-nfl-draft-rankings-mckinney-delpit-lead-assorted-group-of-safeties/

Top-10 safeties entering the NFL combine:

1. Xavier McKinney, Alabama (6-1, 208, 4.60)

Roswell, Ga. (Roswell), junior.

A two-year starter at Alabama, McKinney played free safety in Nick Saban’s 3-4 base scheme, lining up two-high, single-high and dropping into the box in nickel/dime situations. He had a wide array of responsibilities in the secondary and created 10 turnover-worthy plays (five interceptions, five forced fumbles) over the last two years.

McKinney is explosive downhill and a reliable open-field tackler, finding his center and dropping ball carriers. He does a nice job in coverage vs. backs and tight ends with solid ball skills, although he doesn’t always play to his athletic profile when matched up with receivers. Overall, McKinney is an instinctive, full-speed-ahead defender with the functional range and diagnose skills to put himself in a position to make plays, projecting as an interchangeable safety who should start from day one.

All-22 Takeaway: McKinney is a much better player coming downhill than in reverse. On this play from the Iron Bowl, he is lined up as the deepest defender in the middle of the field and was responsible for the wide receiver in motion. Most safeties can make this read and flow to the play, but McKinney’s finishing skills are what stand out, keeping this from being a first down or more. After reaching the numbers, he keeps his feet underneath him, calms his hips and doesn’t allow the ball carrier to shake him in space, making the stop at the sideline.

2. Grant Delpit, LSU (6-2, 206, 4.56)

Houston, Texas (IMG Academy), junior. Age: 21.59

A three-year starter at LSU, Delpit was a starting safety in defensive coordinator Dave Aranda’s scheme, lining up free and strong and as a nickel. He quickly established himself as a face-of-the-program type of leader in Baton Rouge and drew comparisons to Troy Polamalu from head coach Ed Orgeron, earning the coveted No. 7 LSU jersey.

With his football IQ and athleticism, Delpit is quick to trigger vs. the pass and the run, trusting his keys and never second-guessing himself. He often arrives too hot as a tackler and his overaggressive angles and poor finishing skills dent his batting average (there is no question that he was banged up in 2019 and how much that affected his production and performance is open to interpretation). Overall, Delpit needs to shore up his tackling inconsistency, but he is a rangy, smart and energetic player who quickly finds the football and attacks, projecting as a starting-level free safety in the NFL.

3. Kyle Dugger, Lenoir-Rhyne (6-1, 218, 4.45)

Fayetteville, Ga. (Whitewater), redshirt senior. Age: 24.09

A four-year starter at Lenoir-Rhyne, Dugger played field safety in defensive coordinator Joel Taylor’s 4-2-5 scheme, playing mostly man coverage vs. the slot with snaps single-high and underneath zone. A classic late bloomer, he developed into a legitimate pro prospect at the Division-II level and should supplant John Milem (No. 150 overall pick in the 2000 NFL Draft) as the highest-drafted player in Lenoir Rhyne’s history.

With his lateral twitch and controlled feet, Dugger can run the alley or make plays at the sideline, also showing the speed that will serve him well on special teams. Whether from depth or near the line of scrimmage, he has a knack for navigating and finding the football. Overall, Dugger faces a sizeable uptick in game speed at the NFL level, but his length, smooth athleticism and nose for the football will serve him well, projecting as a starting safety or weakside linebacker.

4. Ashtyn Davis, California (6-1, 201, 4.44)

Santa Cruz, Calif. (Santa Cruz), redshirt senior. Age: 23.54

A three-year starter at California, Davis lined up at free safety in Tim DeRuyter’s 3-4 base scheme, spending time as a two-high and one-high player and seeing snaps as a nickel cornerback vs. the slot. The rare dual-sport walk-on in college, he is one of the best stories in this draft class, overcoming several hurdles to reach the NFL’s doorstep.

Davis was tutored by Cal defensive backs coach Gerald Alexander, who played five seasons in the NFL and helped Davis progressively see things better each of the last three seasons. He is aggressive by nature and that fearless mentality serves him well on the field, but it also works against him at times, taking himself out of plays. Overall, Davis needs continued development with his reads and finishing skills, but his relentless nature and explosive play speed are NFL-level traits, projecting best as a single-high or nickel safety with special teams ability.

All-22 Takeaway: This rep from the Cal-Washington tape is a perfect representation of Davis as a safety. Lined up on the near hash, he immediately retreats before his eyes pick up the crossing pattern into the boundary from the slot. Davis shows fluid feet in his transition and exceptional burst to close on the catch point. The problem? He is too fast on this play and arrives at the receiver early, going through him to try and make a play on the ball. What should have been an incomplete pass is a pass interference penalty and first down for the offense. Davis has tremendous speed and closing ability, but he needs to harness his aggressive nature to be a more consistent space player.

5. Antoine Winfield Jr., Minnesota (5-10, 207, 4.62)

The Woodlands, Texas (The Woodlands), redshirt sophomore. Age: 21.69

A four-year starter at Minnesota, Winfield was the boundary safety in defensive coordinator Joseph Rossi’s man-scheme, seeing reps in the box and as the last line of defense. A fourth-year sophomore, he suffered back-to-back season-ending injuries in 2017 and 2018 before an All-American 2019 campaign, leading the team in tackles, forced fumbles and interceptions.

Like his Pro Bowl father, Winfield is a smart player who understands angles and spacing, showing the opportunistic instincts and ball skills to go big-play hunting. While he is a composed athlete, his below-average size and strength leave very little margin for error, lacking the elite speed to easily recover. Overall, Winfield is a tough evaluation because his lack of length and top-tier athleticism frequently pops on film, but so does his football IQ, toughness and production, projecting as a potential starting safety or nickel in the NFL.

6. Terrell Burgess, Utah (6-0, 194, 4.50)

San Marcos, Calif. (San Marcos), senior. Age: 21.45

A one-year starter at Utah, Terrell Burgess shifted from nickel back to starting safety as a senior in defensive coordinator Morgan Scalley’s 4-2-5 base scheme. After primarily playing special teams his first three years, he volunteered the move to safety due to injuries at the position and created buzz in NFL scouting circles as a first-year starter in 2019 (Scalley: “I started quizzing him on safety responsibilities and I was like ‘holy crap, you can do this’”).

Burgess naturally gravitates towards the football and shows the range to play man coverage in the slot or diagnose from depth as a traditional deep safety, understanding the relationship between multiple targets. He lacks ideal size, strength and suddenness, but he is a terrific space athlete and usually sound tackler, calming his feet to square up his target. Overall, Burgess put his name on the NFL radar with his breakout senior season and displays the range and mental alertness reminiscent of a not as sudden version of Darnell Savage (Green Bay Packers), projecting as a potential starter at nickel or safety in the NFL.

All-22 Takeaway: This rep by Burgess should be used by coaches to teach defensive backs the proper fundamentals in coverage. Lined up in the boundary at the 20-yard line, he reads the route combination and floats towards the hash to maintain an equal relationship between both routes. Burgess keeps his eyes on the quarterback and uses outstanding footwork to carry the outside vertical. He gets his head turned, finds the football and knocks it away without contacting the receiver. That is what it is supposed to look like from a coverage safety.

7. Jeremy Chinn, Southern Illinois (6-3, 219, 4.67)

Fishers, Ind. (Fishers), senior. Age: 22.16

A four-year starter at Southern Illinois, Chinn was the strong safety in defensive coordinator Jason Petrino’s 4-3 base package. With only one power-five program (Ole Miss in 2018) on SIU’s schedule the last four seasons, he didn’t face elite competition each week, but he put together a strong career, finishing first in school history in passes defended (31), second in forced fumbles (six) and fifth in interceptions (13).

Chinn has a cornerback background and played various roles on tape, finding success vs. the slot due to his size, speed and ball skills. While he matches up well vs. tight ends and defined underneath patterns, speedy route technicians will eat him up in space. Overall, Chinn is caught guessing too often and must develop his football instincts to see defensive reps in the NFL, but his range, length and closing burst give him the versatility to fill various roles, projecting as a match-up defender and special teamer.

8. Geno Stone, Iowa (5-10, 200, 4.60)

New Castle, Pa. (New Castle), junior. Age: 21.01

A two-year starter at Iowa, Stone was the strong safety in defensive coordinator Phil Parker’s nickel scheme, lining up to the field side. After leading the team in special teams tackles as a freshman, he was too valuable to keep off the field and forced the coaches to shift from a 4-3 to a 4-2-5 midway through the 2018 season, moving Amani Hooker to nickel and Stone to strong safety.

Stone shows excellent pursuit effort, which boosts his batting average as a tackler, although his lack of length lowers his margin of error when filling downhill. In coverage, he maintains leverage and stays in position, although he doesn’t take a ton of chances, which likely limits his playmaking upside vs. NFL offenses. Overall, Stone is a smart player who won’t make many mental mistakes, but his lack of size and top-tier athleticism project him as more of a special teamer and subpackage performer who will need to prove himself before competing for starting reps.

9. Brandon Jones, Texas (5-11, 202, 4.45)

Nacogdoches, Texas (Nacogdoches), senior. Age: 22.06

A three-year starter at Texas, Jones played both safety spots and the nickel position in former defensive coordinator Todd Orlando’s 3-3-5 base scheme. He looked most comfortable as the boundary safety, especially as a pursuit tackler where he could show off his tracking, closing and finishing skills.

To handle both run and pass duties from deep alignment, a safety must trust his vision to play fast and that is what makes Jones an appealing prospect for the next level. He has the speed to turn and run with slot receivers vertically, but he played more confident as a safety than nickel – the closer he was lined up to the line of scrimmage, the more he struggled in coverage. Overall, Jones’ lack of length and ball skills are concerns and he must harness his aggressive nature, but the rangy athleticism and toughness are what will earn him an NFL role as part of a team’s safety rotation.

10. Kenny Robinson Jr., XFL (6-2, 204, 4.56)

Wilkinsburg, Pa. (Imani Christian). Age: 21.29

A two-year starter at West Virginia, Robinson was the starting free safety in former defensive coordinator Toby Gibson’s 3-3-5 scheme, playing mostly from single-high alignment. As a current member of the XFL’s St. Louis BattleHawks, his evaluation is ongoing, playing in the XFL instead of participating in the traditional draft process.

Robinson is a very talented player, although his report contains several “but’s”: he has excellent ball skills to disrupt the catch point, but his anticipation could be better. He isn’t shy striking with violence, but he needs to be more technically-sound as a tackler with too many fly-by attempts on his tape. Overall, Robinson’s play recognition and run support skills show room for improvement, but he is an aggressive ballhawk with athletic range and should be the first XFL player to be drafted in the NFL Draft.

All-22 Takeaway: Robinson is putting updated tape on his resume each week in the XFL, but teams will also rely on his 2018 college tape at West Virginia. Lined up as the deepest defender in the middle of the field, he times his break well and closes on the slot receiver. The quarterback found the void in the defense, but Robinson’s attack was very well timed, allowing him to explode through the receiver to separate man from ball.

15 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Wonder how much some of you like Zierlien’s comparison for Dwayne Haskins

https://www.google.com/amp/s/clutchpoints.com/nfl-draft-news-nfl-com-compares-dwayne-haskins-drew-bledsoe/amp/

For the record, I think that’s awful, too.

I have to admit, Bledsoe is a bit before my time.  I watched football a bit back when I was younger, but not like I do now.  I remember him being thought of as a high profile QB.  Different era though.

Something to consider, and I'm going to cherry pick a little.

Drew Bledsoe - 193 games started

Dwayne Haskins - 7 games started

Games where the QB had a passer rating of 120+, had at least 10 pass attempts, and completed at least 2/3rds of their passes.

Drew Bledsoe - 9 games, or 4.7% of the time

Dwayne Haskins - 2 games, or 28.6% of the time

FWIW, Daniel Jones and Kyler Murray also did it twice as rookies, although they started far more games.  Total number of rookie QB's who have done that in NFL history comes in at 17.

28 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am not in a Zierlien has got it cooking mode this morning after digesting his analogy that Harrison Bryant plays like Kittle. 😀  I like Harrison Bryant but I don't see that analogy being that on point.  

I don't see a heck of a lot similarities between Tua and Brunell aside from they are both lefties and have sneaky mobility.  Tua with the faster release, better accuracy, and a lethal deep ball.   I think McShay's analogy to Brees is more on point.   I didn't realize Saban said the same until just now when I looked for the McShay article.  

Very similar stature and level of athleticism to Brunell, in addition to being a lefty.  Some odd similarities in his college career too, coming in as a heralded recruit, winning early, getting hurt a lot, and having to deal with a timeshare at his position.

I just thought it was jarring to see Tua's NFL comparison being 2009 New Orleans Saints Superbowl Champion Quarterback... Mark Brunell.

I think it's an instructive comparison too.  Brees is the ceiling comparison, and Brunell feels like an impressively pessimistic floor comparison, until you realize that Brunell won a lot of games and threw for 30K yards in the NFL in the 90's and aughts.  And then you think what if Tua has to spend the best years of his career dragging a weak Miami or Detroit team to 10-11 wins, making plays and getting killed like Brunell did in Jacksonville before he's just kind of broken down?  Suddenly Brunell doesn't seem so crazy of a prediction for his career outcome.

And perhaps maybe if we consider that Mark Brunell floor for Tua as much as the rosy Drew Brees ceiling, we fans wouldn't be so open to the absolutely ****ing disastrous opportunity cost that would be paid for trashing Haskins and Chase Young to pick Tua.

32 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

And perhaps maybe if we consider that Mark Brunell floor for Tua as much as the rosy Drew Brees ceiling, we fans wouldn't be so open to the absolutely ****ing disastrous opportunity cost that would be paid for trashing Haskins and Chase Young to pick Tua.

I've fallen for plenty of prospects before the draft and kept defending them through thick and thin.  Sometimes I ended up right, sometimes wrong.   Heck I was a Doctson guy, a player I was wrong about to say the least, and I defended him when the negative stuff surfaced about some saying he doesn't love football, doesn't practice hard, etc -- because hey that was my guy.    But I don't see things that way anymore.  All we can do is watch these prospects not vouch for their personalities and makeup as a player.   We don't know them personally.  We don't know their personalities and what they do in the locker room.  Just about every scout has said the most important part of the combine are the medicals and interviews to see what kind of guys these players are.  And, we aren't privy to any of that. 

So bringing that point to Haskins.  If there are a number of people in that building who aren't sold on Haskins based on what they've seen from him on a day to day basis -- that to me is a mile stronger than what our opinion is of the dude from watching his Ohio State games.  And look i am not saying I got a handle on what they think about Haskins but i've heard enough to form the impression that there are at the very least people in that building who aren't sold on his intangibles and some of that has been said in a very strong way.  Maybe that's all true or maybe its hyperbole or just flat out wrong but  either way there is no way for us to know.  I presume they know.  They see him.  So if Kyle and Rivera are absolutely infatuated with Haskins, then I'll go on that ride and trust it.  If they have concerns and love Tua, I'll trust that, too. 

I want to take Chase Young badly.  I'd love for Haskins to be everything you think he is and more.  And I am not saying you are wrong about him.  I am saying I don't know.   And I am 100% sure that you, me @volsmet, @kdawg, or whomever can't land on a definitive take in a positive or negative way about Haskins' future.    It's like me having an employee in my building.  I know that employee a heck of a lot better than anyone from the outside speculating about it. 

So for me the Haskins-Tua dynamic will play out as it should one way or another.   I suspect even with concerns they will play things out with Haskins at least this season.  And hopefully it pans out.  But if it doesn't and Tua ends up being like Drew Brees -- the opportunity cost would be added to the pile of the 30-30 special I bet we see one day about the Redskins  and their weird journey on the QB position since Rypien left the building.   But I sincerely hope that Haskins is the guy. 

Yeah, I can see the Bledsoe comp, though I would have to go back and watch Bledsoe (and that ain’t happening, lol).  As stevemcqueen points out, Haskins has shown better movement skills in the pocket.  Tall, big armed guys (though not elite arms) that could make all the throws.  Both stand tall in the pocket types who, although lacking athleticism, could move out of the pocket and keep their eyes downfield.  Both somewhat clunky runners (though Haskins seems a touch smoother maybe).  Both generally are/were good at scanning the field and could pick you apart with a clean pocket.  Neither great downfield passers, but pretty good at it... I think their bread and butter is/was more the intermediate routes.  IIRC, Bledsoe would similarly trust his arm a bit too much - not always driving the ball with a step.  Just my impression though.  

26 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

I have to admit, Bledsoe is a bit before my time.  I watched football a bit back when I was younger, but not like I do now.  I remember him being thought of as a high profile QB.  Different era though.

He was pretty much the quintessential huge, strong-armed pocket statue to the point where his name is now a shorthand for that archetype of quarterback.  He was a good player in the 90's and he had a similar workhorse passer quality to him that defines Haskins as a player too.  He wasn't as good as Steve Young or Brett Favre, but he was kind of in that next tier down from them in the mid 90's with guys like Brunell and Warren Moon.  Probably a little better than them.  He had the misfortune of getting a bad injury when the greatest player in the history of the sport was behind him on the depth chart, and that pretty much derailed his career.

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I just looked at some of Zierlein's QB comparisons.

Tua - Mark Brunnell

Burrow - Kurt Warner

Stanley - Mason Rudolph

Love - Blake Bortles

Eason - Carson Palmer/Brock Osweiler

Herbert - Carson Wentz

Fromm - Colt McCoy

Hurts - Tim Tebow

Luton - Davis Webb

Patterson - Jeff Garcia

There are some pitfalls in this QB class.  One day you all will appreciate the ****ing thunderbolt strike of luck we got in having Haskins fall into our laps in 2019. 

First off, that Jake Fromm comparison is dead on.  I am overpowered by a sense of Colt McCoy when watching Georgia.

Second, that Herbert comparison is tasty but he's not nearly as good an improvisor and creative football player as Wentz, and that is a huge part of what makes Wentz terrifying.  He's not going to end up being as good as Wentz. 

Third, that Hurts comparison is dead ****ing on.  Jalen "Poor Man's Tebow" Hurts is now his name.

Fourth, that Love comparison is frightening

Sixth, that Burrow comparison is brilliant.

Seventh, that Eason comparison provides a massive range in outcomes.

Eighth, that Stanley comparison feels generous to him.

Steve must watch a lot of pti.

Here are his QB rankings from 2015-2018

QB Year Ranking 
QB Year Ranking 
S. Darnold 2018 7.1 
J. Winston 2015 6.7 
C. Wentz 2016 6.5 
J. Goff 2016 6.5 
M. Trubisky 2017 6.3 
M. Mariota 2015 6.2 
P. Lynch 2016 6.1 
J. Rosen 2018 6.1 
L. Jackson 2018 6.0 
B. Mayfield 2018 6.0 
D. Watson 2017 5.9 
J. Allen 2018 5.9 
C. Cook 2016 5.8 
P. Mahomes 2017 5.8 
D. Kizer 2017 5.7 
N. Peterman 2017 5.7 
L. Falk 2018 5.6 
M. Rudolph 2018 5.6 
C. Hackenberg 2016 5.5 
J. Brissett 2016 5.5 
B. Petty 2015 5.4 
D. Prescott 2016 5.4 
C. Jones 2016 5.4 
C. Kessler 2016 5.4 
G. Grayson 2015 5.3 
B. Hundley 2015 5.3 
M. White 2018 5.2 
K. Hogan 2016 5.1

1 hour ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

That was kind of Ryan Grant's shtick too.  Now Tyler Johnson is a bit bigger, so that helps.  but I'm worried that Johnson's only NFL spot he can consistently produce in is Slot. 

That's a valid concern.  Fast corners will probably just sit on him in man because they're not going to be scared of his speed.  But he is a really good route runner and he's a competitor.  There are so many plays where he's just getting super open off of just knowing how to play the game and willing the ball his way and into his hands.  I kind of ****ed up with my evaluation of AJ Brown last year, and I'm not going to do the same thing with Tyler Johnson this year.

Even if he does end up getting stuck in the slot for most of his reps, in today's NFL that's a role where you can go to Pro-Bowls.  I see a lot of affinity to Adam Thielen in Johnson's style, if he gets into the right scheme, he could be a similar security blanket type of player.  As a quarterback, if I read zone, especially if I get surprised with it, I'm automatically throwing to Johnson.  Ryan Grant never had that kind of upside or trustworthiness.

Archived