Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

Interesting about Hunter, I've been dismissing him because although he's my favorite receiving type of TE, to me he looked more like a WR and I want a dude who could block.  Him bulking up I gather is an attempt to address the idea that he will have the physicality to block, but that's a lot of weight for that height. 

That's Delanie Walker style thickness at that height...doubt he runs as fast, though Walker ran at his pro day I believe and was a much later developmental pick back when the league was different. He set records in JUCO and then college as a receiver, had such athleticism that he also returned kicks (3 for TDs!)...he'd likely be a much higher pick today. 

2 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Wasn't Mahomes like 9.25"? It only really matters around that range if you notice problems on tape imo. 

Yeah.  Which is (from a study I saw a few years ago) the minimum length that hasn't shown struggles in adverse weather.  I think other notables, Teddy Bridgewater came in at 9.125 or something like that, he wears a glove on his throwing hand to help with grip.

7 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

This is disappointing, but makes too much sense. I've been saying for a while that if I were Chase Young, I wouldn't work out. Nothing to gain. I wonder if he'll run/jump at his pro day. 

I also wonder if this means his numbers aren't as good as people would expect. I'm assuming that if he was running a 4.4 in practice, he'd run at the combine. 

2 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

This is disappointing, but makes too much sense. I've been saying for a while that if I were Chase Young, I wouldn't work out. Nothing to gain. I wonder if he'll run/jump at his pro day. 

I also wonder if this means his numbers aren't as good as people would expect. I'm assuming that if he was running a 4.4 in practice, he'd run at the combine. 

I mean, what Montez Sweat did was unprecedented.  Normally speedy pass rusher show off if they can run in the 4.5's.  But him running a 4.41 is just crazy.

16 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Wasn't Mahomes like 9.25"? It only really matters around that range if you notice problems on tape imo. 

Mahomes has a unique grip on the ball where he basically only has his pinkie finger on the laces (baseball background).  I think this helps him compensate for relatively small hands.  I doubt Burrow throws like that.

1 minute ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

I mean, what Montez Sweat did was unprecedented.  Normally speedy pass rusher show off if they can run in the 4.5's.  But him running a 4.41 is just crazy.

Yes. Chase wasn't fast coming out of HS. I think the only time I could find for him was a 4.94 in HS. But, he still had that burst. I bet he's a 4.7-4.75 guy, but is just incredibly quick off the line and twitchy. 

Just now, Anselmheifer said:

Yes. Chase wasn't fast coming out of HS. I think the only time I could find for him was a 4.94 in HS. But, he still had that burst. I bet he's a 4.7-4.75 guy, but is just incredibly quick off the line and twitchy. 

Yeah, I'm sure his 40 isn't all that impressive, but I'd bet his 10-yd split would rank among the Garretts and Millers of the position.

A good friend of mine started the Nonstop Motor Podcast. He just released an episode in which he interviews former Redskins draft pick and QB Gibran Hamdan. Some funny Spurrier stories and what he looks for in a QB:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/4-gibran-hamdan-interview-ex-nfl-qb-reviewing-the-ol/id1496613584?i=1000466478028

https://open.spotify.com/episode/6pmjnYEtSSvfGRqUATqGbb

13 minutes ago, Fresh8686 said:

I'm hoping we can grab Troy Pride in Round 4.  Some of this depends on what we do in Free Agency.  Are we running more Zone (what Rivera prefers), or more Man (what Jack Del Rio prefers).  Do we go hard after Byron Jones, or James Bradberry, or both?  If it's both, then we're flexible.  If it's Bradberry, then we're zone focused.  If it's Byron Jones and not Bradberry, then someone like Troy Pride has more value.

13 minutes ago, Fresh8686 said:

Some of these minimums are either way too high (imo) or way too lenient (like 3cone)

15 bench reps for CB's?  18 for Safeties?  That doesn't matter for most of them, and their playstyle.  Tyrann Mathieu only had 4 reps.  Marlon Humphrey only had 10 reps, and nobody is going to say he isn't physical.

On 2/22/2020 at 8:53 PM, RWJ said:

Love me some Zach Moss.  I have him on my draft wish list with the 2nd pick in the 4th round if he last that long.  

I really like him too.  Outstanding balance and good play strength and he's very creative. Constantly breaking tackles where the defender looks like he's in pretty good position.  Just a really really good football player.  I like running backs like him and Eno Benjamin who maybe don't have the most jaw-dropping traits, but have proven that they can get it done as a true workhorse for their college offenses and put up very high individual grades on PFF.  And I think it's to their credit that they played so well despite their offensive lines and passing games not being that great.

The only thing that has made me hesitate to go with Moss/Benjamin in my mock drafts is that there has almost always been a wide receiver on the board in that fourth round range who is a better prospect than them.  The WR class is so ridiculously good, and I feel very compelled to take advantage of it's depth in that late day 2, early day 3 sweet spot.  I think a fourth round pick can get you a WR who would have been an early second rounder in past draft classes.

And the other thing is, as much as I like Moss, I've been able to get Josh Kelly, AJ Dillon, or Anthony McFarland in the sixth and seventh rounds.  I feel like I come out ahead if I use that middle rounder on a WR and then get the RB in the early seventh, as opposed to spending the middle rounder on Moss.

5 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Sullivan has a sick wingspan, he's one of my fav later round TE possibilities

So why did Sullivan barely get playing time over Thaddeus Moss, who came in at 6'1 & 7/8"?  I'm worried Sullivan could be one of those looks like Tarzan plays like Jane types.  But I've never actually watched him, so can't say.  I do know I'm underwhelmed with Moss, so it's a not a good sign Sulliivan couldn't steal some snaps from him.

In other news, Cole Kmet is bigger than I thought.  6'5 6/8th's and 262 lbs?  With good arm length, hand size, and wingspan?  That's an oldschool TE look from 2005.

4 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

If Miami is actually comfortable with Herbert, then they're in an unbelievable position.  They get a QB they like (Tua or Herbert) and still have a boatload of draft capital to improve the team.

Miami did the tank perfectly in all ways except performance on the field which didn't pay off, but will in the long term considering they put together 5 wins out of a roster that was clearly designed for tanking. That coach, don't know about all the nuances and details, who knows, you find that out later, but in motivating? Holy hell. They were basically like absolute zero in terms of expected wins, if you could be -273, that was the Dolphins before opening kickoff in game 1, and then they produced a season where they won as many or more games than six other teams? That's just insane to me. It's unfortunate as they should've landed Burrow/Tua, but because they so vastly outpaced expectations, they ended up with the 1.05 instead of the 1.01, but my gosh, it's been a long time since I've seen a team so dramatically outpace expectations as that Dolphins team. He even figured out how to get Devante Parker not to suck. Amazing. So jealous of them. Have been waiting for years for one of the DC crummy teams to do a rebuild properly, but neither the Boulez, nor the Redskins have managed it. The Nats and Caps rebuilds a decade+ ago were the last, and both had their share of flaws, the Dolphins, thus far, nearly perfection. Surprised they wouldn't eat one of those crummy contracts for a pick, should be right up there alley. 

4 hours ago, Fresh8686 said:

Well it matters because smart teams, hell even the stupid ones will add a .05 to his forty. The only place to get clean forties is the combine, otherwise you've got stop watches, they can be wind and surface aided etc and historically, if you punch in the .05 addition, you end up getting, more or less, the accurate 40. If he's not gonna run the forty, might as well just skip it entirely, the problem is, teams already don't like him, not sure a month is going to change much unless he's carrying extra weight. 

So all this talk about Chase Claypool moving to TE and suddenly being a great value pick in Round 3 is making me go and watch his tape.

vs Georgia and the 2nd play of the game, he has to block a safety (#20 JR Reed) but gets knocked backwards easily, and that safety goes to make the tackle.  Claypool doesn't show anything as a WR or as a TE convert in this game.  It's just one game, so not going to make a snap judgement.  That said, TE Cole Kmet popped on film a bit, and that previously mentioned Georgia safety, JR Reed, also popped.

Supposedly VA Tech might be his best game?  Watching it now and I'm still not seeing what everyone seems to love about him.  He's raved as being this mauler of a blocker as a WR...but he's almost never blocking, and in the seldom snaps he is blocking, he's not mauling.

He's got some nice buildup speed though.  Not much quick twitch anything.  He's not overly athletic, and if the ball isn't dropped near his catch radius, his feet can't try and slow down/redirect to go where the ball is.  The 5'9 Steve Smith was a "just throw the ball up, and he'll change on a dime and attack it".  The 6'2 Josh Doctson was a ridiculous aerial guy, who could change his momentum and leap with his insane vertical in any direction.   The 6'4 Chase Claypool can't do either of those, he's more of a, if you're already making an OK throw, then he can make a play.  If the throw is behind Chase Claypool, he's not going to be able to do anything.  He's not a natural contested catch guy.  He should be handfighting more, or using his hips/ass/whatever to control the DB more, but too often the DB can get a pretty solid attempt on the ball.

If we assume he's got good blocking tape somewhere, then I think he's probably best as a Big Slot.  I'm not high on Claypool, and I'm betting he's Round 5 or later.

P.S.  NFL.com's grades are much nicer to him.

Archived