Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

How do people feel about Chase Claypool? I've read people talking about converting him to TE. He's probably going anywhere between rounds 3-6. 

The assessment of his own game is extremely accurate, as many other draft analysts have shared similar sentiments, especially regarding separation. Creating space has been a talking point for the big-bodied Claypool, with his large 229-pound frame usually the culprit behind the discussion. He’s 10-15 pounds away from tight end status, and his strong blocking ability and impressive athleticism have some preferring Claypool in an Evan Engram- or Jonnu Smith-type “inline” role at the next level. Others, however, have seen the success Claypool had on the perimeter and want to keep him as a boundary receiver, using his large catch radius and superb box-out skills to their fullest capabilities.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/chase-claypool-2020-draft-pursuit-of-happiness

https://theathletic.com/1625139/2020/02/21/pre-combine-nfl-draft-rankings-versatile-high-end-athletes-drive-lb-discussion/

1. Isaiah Simmons, Clemson (6-3, 228, 4.52)

Olathe, Kan. (Olathe North), redshirt junior. Age: 21.74

A two-year starter at Clemson, Simmons played a hybrid SAM/Nickel role in defensive coordinator Brent Venables’ 4-3 base scheme, playing a position that combined the responsibilities of safety, linebacker and cornerback. A track star turned safety turned linebacker, he was the centerpiece of the Tigers’ defense and gave college play-callers fits because of his pre-snap deception, not tipping if he was going to spy, blitz or cover.

Simmons accelerates with ease and closes with burst, showing tremendous reaction to movement and open-field ability. He must do a better job defeating blocks before they happen, but his length and speed make him efficient working the edge. Overall, Simmons is the ideal modern-day defender with his ability to blitz, cover and stop the run, projecting as a unique four-down defender with the multi-dimensional skills to be deployed in any situation.

All-22 Takeaway: A linebacker playing single-high safety? Yeah, Simmons can do that. Along with covering in the slot, blitzing off the edge or lining up as a weakside linebacker. From his single-high perch, he showed off his range with his third-quarter interception against Justin Fields and Ohio State in the College Football Playoffs.

2. Patrick Queen, LSU (6-2, 233, 4.64)

Livonia, La. (Livonia), junior. Age: 20.69

A one-year starter at LSU, Queen was an inside linebacker in defensive coordinator Dave Aranda’s 3-4 scheme. His first career start came vs. Alabama in 2018 when Devin White was sidelined (due to a targeting penalty) and he steadily grew into one of LSU’s top defensive performers, playing 89.5% of defensive snaps over the second half of the 2019 season.

One of the youngest players in the draft, Queen has outstanding play speed and can run all day, smoothly transferring his weight and closing with purpose. He is still developing his stack-shed ability and finishing skills, but shows natural read-react athleticism and the mean-spirited personality required for the position. Overall, Queen doesn’t have an extensive resume, but he is an explosive run-and-hit linebacker with excellent mirror skills and the fluidity to turn and run in coverage, projecting as a high-upside NFL starter with every-down ability.

All-22 Takeaway: Queen (#8) had flashier plays on the Alabama tape, including an interception of Tua Tagovailoa. But this incomplete pass was the play that stuck with me. With speedster Jaylen Waddle in motion and running back Najee Harris setting up in pass pro, Alabama appears to be running the speed screen to the field side. But Queen doesn’t buy it. Instead of taking a false step or losing eye discipline with Tagovailoa’s body fakes, he bursts toward the running back in the boundary and his speed beats the blocker to the spot. Harris dropped the ball, but Queen was in position to make the play due to his athletic skill and ability to sniff out the misdirection. This was also an impressive job by K’Lavon Chaisson (#18) to avoid the block of Jedrick Wills and put himself in position to make the tackle.

3. Zack Baun, Wisconsin (6-2, 240, 4.69)

Brown Deer, Wis. (Brown Deer), redshirt senior. Age: 23.31

A two-year starter at Wisconsin, Baun was an outside linebacker for defensive coordinator Jim Leonard in the Badgers’ 3-4 base scheme, playing mostly to the field side and switching between a rusher and dropper. Despite his sack production in college, he projects best as an off-ball linebacker in the NFL and defensive play-callers will need to be creative with how they allow him to rush.

A fantastic space athlete, Baun has the natural burst and loose hips to be deployed across the formation, handling open-field responsibilities. He consistently affects the game with his active play style and effort, but he rushes and covers more on instinct than technical know-how right now. Overall, Baun’s evaluation requires some projection because he won’t be a full-time rusher in the NFL, but he displays the fluid athleticism, smarts and motor to line up as a stack linebacker and nickel pass rusher, projecting as a first-round pick.

4. Kenneth Murray, Oklahoma (6-2, 243, 4.67)

Missouri City, Texas (Elkins), junior. Age: 21.43

A three-year starter at Oklahoma, Murray lined up as the MIKE linebacker in defensive coordinator Alex Grinch’s hybrid 3-3-5 base scheme. Nicknamed “K9,” he reached triple-digit tackles each of the last two seasons and rarely left the field, playing 90.5% of defensive snaps the last three years.

Although he doesn’t consistently anticipate the action and must tweak his tackling approach, Murray’s instant speed is the equalizer, flowing fast and attacking alleys. He is overflowing with adrenaline and displays the competitive spirit that will win over a coaching staff. Overall, Murray can be late to sort and zero-in on the ballcarrier, but his outstanding play speed and relentless energy are difference-making traits, projecting as a three-down, run-and-hit outside linebacker in the NFL.

All-22 Takeaway: I love Murray’s play speed and killer instinct, but he can be late to sort at times, especially in confined spaces, which is the main reason he isn’t second or third on this list. On this play against Baylor, Murray (#9) cleanly mirrored laterally, but he is tardy sorting through the blocks and finding the run lane, causing him to overstep. He should have been in the perfect position to fill the gap and plant the runner for no gain, but instead he gave the quarterback a clear path to the end zone.

5. Malik Harrison, Ohio State (6-3, 246, 4.73)

Columbus, Ohio (Walnut Ridge), senior. Age: 22.13

A two-year starter at Ohio State, Harrison lined up as the weakside linebacker in former defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley’s 4-3 scheme, leading the Buckeyes in tackles as a senior. A former high school quarterback who wanted to play receiver in college, he showed steady improvement each of the last four seasons, grading out as one of the top run defenders in college football in 2019.

Harrison is an alert, gap-sound player who explodes as a tackler at contact. He flies around the field and constantly chases the action, but his occasional false steps prove costly and there are questions about his man coverage skills. Overall, Harrison is a terrific height/weight/speed prospect and with his ability to mirror, take on contact and finish, he is one of the better run defending linebackers in this draft class.

6. Jordyn Brooks, Texas Tech (6-0, 241, 4.68)

Houston, Texas (Stratford), senior. Age: 22.51

A four-year starter at Texas Tech, Brooks manned the MIKE linebacker position in defensive coordinator Keith Patterson’s 3-3-5 scheme, moving inside as a senior after spending high school and his first three seasons in Lubbock outside. He finished the 2019 season second in the FBS in tackles for loss per game (1.82) and became the first All-American linebacker for the Red Raiders since Zach Thomas (1995).

Brooks rarely loses foot races to the sideline, even with a late start – once he sees it, he unlocks and goes. He relies more on his lower body, not his upper body, to get by blockers, but his trigger and burst help compensate. Overall, Brooks was more of a downhill player in Tech’s scheme and there are concerns in coverage, but he has excellent lateral range and striking skills, projecting best as an inside linebacker in a blitz-heavy 3-4 scheme.

All-22 Takeaway: Shorter than ideal, there are times when Brooks (#1) is late to read the backfield action like this play against Arizona. But even with his tardy start, he shows off his impressive range and acceleration to meet the ballcarrier at the numbers, exploding into contact for the tackle.

7. Akeem Davis-Gaither, Appalachian State (6-2, 219, 4.54)

Thomasville, N.C. (Thomasville), redshirt senior. Age: 22.59

A two-year starter at Appalachian State, Davis-Gaither lined up at outside linebacker in defensive coordinator Ted Roof’s 3-4 base scheme, playing an overhang defender role. Despite his tweener size, he owns the length and speed that NFL teams covet, projecting as discount version of Clemson’s Isaiah Simmons a few rounds later in the draft.

Probably the best “Tag” player in the neighborhood growing up due to his lower body quickness to avoid blocks, Davis-Gaither plays with terrific closing burst once he unlocks and goes. His relentless play style is a strength, but his motor is stuck in overdrive at times and he would benefit by adding more discipline and control to his game. Overall, Davis-Gaither needs to fine-tune his take-on skills and develop his cover instincts, but his twitched-up athleticism and confident play speed help mask his technical flaws, projecting as a subpackage NFL linebacker who should shine on special teams.

8. Logan Wilson, Wyoming (6-2, 241, 4.75)

Casper, Wyo. (Natrona County), redshirt senior. Age: 23.79

A four-year starter at Wyoming, Wilson lined up as the MIKE linebacker in former defensive coordinator Jake Dickert’s 4-2-5 base scheme. Despite not playing linebacker until he arrived in Laramie, he made an indelible mark at Wyoming as only the second player in school history to be a three-year captain and the fourth to eclipse 400 career tackles.

With his top-level diagnose skills, Wilson is a tackling machine due to his break down ability and sound technique in the open field, mirroring with range. He rarely came off the field and as a former high school cornerback, he looks comfortable in reverse with natural ball skills. Overall, Wilson likely won’t have the same production in coverage vs. NFL athletes, but he won’t miss many tackles and his reaction to movement translates well, projecting as a special teams stud with starting potential.

9. Troy Dye, Oregon (6-3, 218, 4.62)

Norco, Calif. (Norco), senior. Age: 23.60

A four-year starter at Oregon, Dye was the WILL linebacker in defensive coordinator Andy Avalos’ 3-4 base scheme, playing primarily to the boundary side of the field. He was part of a freshman class that went 4-8 in their first season and played under three different head coaches and three different defensive coordinators, but he helped return the Ducks to prominence, including a Pac-12 title and Rose Bowl win in 2019.

Speed isn’t a question for Dye, who covers a lot of ground and does a great job finding his balance in space to make one-on-one tackles. However, strength is a concern, often sticking to blocks once engaged and not anticipating enough to compensate. Overall, Dye looks like a modern-day linebacker with his length and athleticism, but he plays more like a safety with questions about his functional strength and scheme fit in the NFL, projecting as an immediate back-up and special teamer.

10. Francis Bernard, Utah (6-0, 230, 4.79)

Herriman, Utah (Herriman), redshirt senior.

A one-year starter at Utah, Bernard played the “Mac” linebacker position in defensive coordinator Morgan Scalley’s 4-2-5 base scheme. He rarely came off the field in 2019 (played 93.1% of defensive snaps) and rebuilt his image after a pattern of immature incidents that ended his time at BYU.

The quarterback of the Utes’ defense, Bernard is a determined player with a violent mentality, seeing things quickly with enough athleticism to get the job done in pursuit. However, he must cut down on the missed tackles and develop his hand usage to properly stack, shed and make stops in the hole. Overall, Bernard must improve his take-on technique to earn a meaningful role in the NFL, but he is an aggressive run defender with promising reps in coverage, projecting as an NFL rookie back-up who will eventually compete for starting reps.

1 hour ago, Thinking Skins said:

See, the tier of guys I'd want probably aren't even FAs right now, but its not Diggs/Cooper. Those guys are going to come in and start over Harmon. I'd be looking at a D. Thomas type guy. He's a legit guy who could produce in spot duty if somebody goes down, but he's not a real threat to any of the starters. He'd probably only get a 3-5 mil per year contract. 

But I want Harmon as my number 2 next year. 

I was one of the bigger Harmon guys before last draft.  So i like him.  Keim and others though have said they heard this FO-coaching staff see him more as a 4th receiver rotational type than their future starter at Z.   

55 minutes ago, Fresh8686 said:

How do people feel about Chase Claypool? I've read people talking about converting him to TE. He's probably going anywhere between rounds 3-6. 

One of the few receivers I haven't looked at, I'll check him out soon. 

I actually really like Claypool as a tight end. 

In fact, I think he might be my favorite receiving type of tight end on the board. Period. Issue is, I'm not entirely sure what he can do blocking the larger bodies. He's 229, so while 230 is passable you'd like to see him around 240 or so. 

I wouldn't go as far as that below but Mims, Edwards and Tyler Johnson right now are my 3 favorite 2nd tier types among the receivers. 

5 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I actually really like Claypool as a tight end. 

In fact, I think he might be my favorite receiving type of tight end on the board. Period. Issue is, I'm not entirely sure what he can do blocking the larger bodies. He's 229, so while 230 is passable you'd like to see him around 240 or so. 

Personally, I'd have to be sold on him as a blocker to a degree but I'll watch him.  If we are going pure pass catcher, Hunter Bryant might be the best dude.  He's 6 "2 but about 10 pounds heavier than Claypool 

5 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

We got two guys from that deep TE class - Hentges and Caleb Wilson. Wilson was the guy I wanted in the draft, thought we should spend a 6th or 7th on him. The fact that we got him off someone's practice squad was good. I think he could develop into a number 1 TE. He was called a poor man's Jordan Reed, great pass catching and route running and speed, but little to no blocking ability. 

I'm afraid that with the new coaching staff and front office we'll lose guys like this in the wash. I'm not overly committed to him but if we're talking about bringing in another 4th rounder to develop and a vet not named Hooper or Henry, then I think it could really stunt the development of those two. That said, if we can get a legit TE who can come in here and play we should do that, but we've been good in the last few years at developing players. I'd like to see that continue. And hopefully with Kyle Smith running things now he and Doug Williams will both work on the development of players and getting them on the field. 

We had no guaranteed starter last year, since you just cant depend on Reed or Davis who could have retired then. Then we took developmental fliers late in the draft. That's overlooking the position. Imo. 

I like that were developing guys and ultimately I do agree, but you dont bring in rookie QBs without a reliable veteran receiver, especially TE. We had no WR, TE or RB who was a dependable pass catcher and skipped a class that was throwing out starters like oprah giving away cars at Christmas. Lol. 

Weve ignored the position for years because of a guy who had "a" great year 5 years ago. That stinks.

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I wouldn't go as far as that below but Mims, Edwards and Tyler Johnson right now are my 3 favorite 2nd tier types among the receivers. 

I haven't looked at Edwards, and I should probably watch another game or two of both Mims and Johnson.  But as of right now, I've got Mims as a significantly better prospect than Johnson.  I know I need to watch more of Shenault, but I've got MIms ahead of him as well.  But that's more so that I'm pretty meh enough on Shenault, that I'm hoping the Eagles/Cowboys/Giants draft him high.  I think he's going to bust.

Fun fact, over the last third of the NFL season.  Who was the 2nd most productive rookie WR in the league?  Steven Sims.  I'm saying we've got our future X and Slot receivers already.  From a Need basis for Redskins, we need a Z receiver.  I don't think Harmon can cut it.  But adding a Z lets Harmon move to Big Slot or backup Z depending on sub package.

I think Shenault's career will be best as a slot guy.  Someone in bunches, stacks, etc that you scheme more to get the ball into their hands.  I don't think he's capable of reliable production.  I'm not sure yet, but I'm wondering if Tyler Johnson (need to watch more of him), is best as a slot in the NFL.  I think we've got that covered.

Mims is physical during routes and he's physical with the ball in the air.  He doesn't have that rare gear to separate, but what he does have is long arms and really nice hand fighting.  He can hand fight while maintaining stride.  He's a legitimate deep threat.  I think Mims can be a full time Z receiver if needed.

Also, in terms of being a X, Z, or Slot WR.  It's easier (imo) to find quality slots in future drafts, than it is X or Z.  I'd rather spend a draft pick, in a deep WR draft, on someone who profiles to be an X or Z.

8 hours ago, method man said:

The team should push hard to trade Dunbar for OJ Howard. Both guys with one year remaining on their contracts who are set to leave their current teams. TB has a big need at corner and the weakness there is one reason their D is so bad (they cut a starter midseason). They also have Brate, who can just start moving forward at TE

Word on Howard is that he is a hardworking guy. For some reasons, things have just not worked out well for him in Tampa. He could be a guy you make a bet on now and give a reasonable extension to. 

Cooley loves Woerner, the TE from UGA. Thinks he is very underrated by evaluators because he was getting just 10 catches a season. Called him the best blocking TE in the draft with receiving upside because he will surprise with his athleticism. Getting him in the 5th - 6th would be great. Could compete with Hentges for that no. 2 TE role

He was turning the corner in '18 and then they hired Arians. If you look at his '18, he had a 34-565-5 line in 8 starts (10 appearances). Projects to around 55-904-8 season. Look over at the efficency metrics and you get basically top 12 type production across the board accept for catch rate (he had 2 drops on not a ton of targets so that gets ugly), and target separation where he was surprisingly poor (37th). Other than that, everything was in that top 12 area, with some highs (1st in yards per reception/yards per target, 11th in dominator rating for TE's). The only reason I can see for why we could justifiably not trade for him was the asking price, which was supposedly insanely high (sounded like they wanted a 1st, and there's zero chance you should be paying a team a 1st for a guy whose already playing through his 3rd year of his rookie contract and is playing poorly, especially when he hasn't broken out yet at the NFL level). 

I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to trade for Howard. I think he's a legit top 10 TE in the league and is basically being ruined by Tampa Bay. I don't understand why they extended Brate, and then hired Arians if they were going to invest a top 20 pick in a guy like Howard. It makes zero sense. Going into '19 a lot of us were imagining that the reason why Arians never had done anything w/TE's was due to the lack of talent of the TE's on his rosters (all were largely lousy to middling), but after '19, it's not really debatable. He's just not interested in using them heavily in his passing game, preferring to use WR's and RB's. I would trade Dunbar, and I'd trade a 3rd for him w/o a second thought if we could extend him on a reasonable deal. 

8 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Not drafting a TE last year, which was for TEs like this year is for WRs was a huge failure. Especially when looking at our roster.

I like Hentges. A lot. He is not a TE1 "yet" and we absolutely need a better than good TE. It's irresponsible not to have one with a young QB.

If it's Dunbar or a pick or whatever, I'm on board with trading for Howard. He checks every box and should be perfect for our offense.

TE right now, is our biggest hole IMO.

I Love Caleb Wilson, he may not fire, considering the draft capital, but we stole him from Arizona, for me, he was the equivalent of a TE selection in round 4 a year ago, he was just picked up at far less cost. I hope we give him plenty of opportunity:

88th Percentile Speed Score (4.56 forty)

7th Percentile Burst Score

47th Percentile Agility Score

91st Percentile College Dominator

18th Percentile Breakout age (don't think that matters like it does for WR's, but it doesnt help either)

Really interesting prospect who only produced his last season at UCLA. 

@Alcoholic Zebra Yeah, Jeremiah mentioned Mims’ as smooth, athletic and acrobatic, but he left out the physicality (which you brought up).  

I know I’ve mentioned before that PFF questioned his route tree, but then said he erased that question (in their opinion) in Mobile.  On top of all of those traits, he’s a winner in terms of analytics with a nice dominator rating and breakout age - posting a 33.1 at 19, 28.7 at 20 and 31.7 at 21.

Going to be interesting to see his 3 cone and 40 time (broad jump and vert should be excellent), because aside from concentration drops (concerning), the biggest question mark is that burst to separate.  

3 hours ago, The Consigliere said:

He was turning the corner in '18 and then they hired Arians. If you look at his '18, he had a 34-565-5 line in 8 starts (10 appearances). Projects to around 55-904-8 season. Look over at the efficency metrics and you get basically top 12 type production across the board accept for catch rate (he had 2 drops on not a ton of targets so that gets ugly), and target separation where he was surprisingly poor (37th). Other than that, everything was in that top 12 area, with some highs (1st in yards per reception/yards per target, 11th in dominator rating for TE's). The only reason I can see for why we could justifiably not trade for him was the asking price, which was supposedly insanely high (sounded like they wanted a 1st, and there's zero chance you should be paying a team a 1st for a guy whose already playing through his 3rd year of his rookie contract and is playing poorly, especially when he hasn't broken out yet at the NFL level). 

I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to trade for Howard. I think he's a legit top 10 TE in the league and is basically being ruined by Tampa Bay. I don't understand why they extended Brate, and then hired Arians if they were going to invest a top 20 pick in a guy like Howard. It makes zero sense. Going into '19 a lot of us were imagining that the reason why Arians never had done anything w/TE's was due to the lack of talent of the TE's on his rosters (all were largely lousy to middling), but after '19, it's not really debatable. He's just not interested in using them heavily in his passing game, preferring to use WR's and RB's. I would trade Dunbar, and I'd trade a 3rd for him w/o a second thought if we could extend him on a reasonable deal. 

Arians was hellbent on using Howard as a blocker

7 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I was one of the bigger Harmon guys before last draft.  So i like him.  Keim and others though have said they heard this FO-coaching staff see him more as a 4th receiver rotational type than their future starter at Z.   

8 hours ago, Fresh8686 said:

I buy that (the coaching point of view), but I wonder where he sees himself. I'd have no problem with bringing in some competition for Harmon as the starter but in my opinion just signing a guy would be like what we did to Grant and Harris when they were here. They never got opportunities to show anything until they were on their last legs. Then Harris showed something, Grant didn't. I think Harmon is a much MUCH better prospect than either of them, plus he has the chemistry. What I'd hate to see with Harmon is him being stuck in some quicksand with this coaching staff because of something like how the last coaching staff (staffs?) used him. He had legit skills coming out last year and people were calling him a number 1 or number 2. 

And what I really don't want to see is us signing another Richardson / Pryor / Roberts type guy. Maybe Harmon will be great or maybe he'll flame out. But what's the point in getting a steal in the draft like he is if we're going to just sign another big name guy to a big contract. 

57 minutes ago, tmandoug1 said:

You have the choice between Tua or Young....which one?

Tua. 

I doubt they do that though. But yeah, if Tua's medically cleared, I don't even have to think about it. I don't think Haskins has franchise QB potential to begin with (feels more like a competent one if everything goes his way, but elite? Not sold at all on that), so going for Tua would be automatic for me and I love Young. It's a QB's league though, and unless you have a franchise guy, it's nearly impossible to build a consistent contender. You have to do literally everything else right, and we're the redskins so there's almost no chance in hell of that happening. I prefer the franchise QB short cut. 

I think this link can interest you guys. Since you're deep into draft stuff, you should know that there's new drills included for the NFL Combine this year. Some of them might get interesting:

The NFL Scouting Combine's shift to prime time isn't the only major change we'll see in Indianapolis during the week.

Some of the on-field action is going to look different, too.

There will be 16 new drills introduced to the position-specific workouts and 10 existing drills eliminated as a result of the changes. Defensive backs will see the most changes, with more than 50 percent of their combine workout featuring new tests.

Each new drill is explained by position group below.

Quarterbacks

NEW: End zone fade routes added to routes thrown, timed smoke/now route drill

End zone fade: Quarterbacks will throw passes to receivers running 10-yard fade routes to the right side of the end zone, creating a need for the use of pylons in these drills. The route addition is intended to mimic a popular pass attempt seen inside the red zone, typically attempted from a snap taken close to the goal line with the target being the back corner pylon.

Timed smoke/now route drill: Quarterbacks will throw one pass to a receiver running a smoke/now route -- usually a route that is adjusted to at the line based on pre-snap reads indicating a quick completion will be available against soft coverage -- on each side consecutively.

Full link: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001102601/article/16-new-drills-coming-to-nfl-scouting-combine?icampaign=nflweb-push-webnotification

I swear to doG I don't know how y'all find the time to gather all the info posted here, I struggle to even read all of it.

Every year I watch conversations like this, trying to read tea leaves to divine who is gonna shine and who isn't, and it seems like it is very common for most to try and look at players in a vacuum, without the team around them, their level of competition, schemes, etc. 

I look at Tua, seems like a helluva good kid, plays hard, but I've seen a lot of plays where his WR corp made great plays that he gets the credit for. Not damning with faint praise, he IS good, but what would he be here, with this coaching staff at this point in a total transformation of the franchise? I always look for context.

I am way more confident that Ron + JDR = far better defensive play, using players to their strengths, I don't have the same level of confidence in whatever new offensive scheme we will field this year. Skip Chase, add Tua and whatever the hell you now do with Haskins, unsure O line situation, questions @ RB, and I'm not sure exactly how much of a boost you get in Rivera's honeymoon season as opposed to add Chase, focus resources on upgrades around Haskins to improve the offense and concentrate on building a low turmoil high discipline roster.

There's always a big picture.

There's also always someone willing to trade the family cow for magic beans.

10 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

I buy that (the coaching point of view), but I wonder where he sees himself. I'd have no problem with bringing in some competition for Harmon as the starter but in my opinion just signing a guy would be like what we did to Grant and Harris when they were here. They never got opportunities to show anything until they were on their last legs. Then Harris showed something, Grant didn't. I think Harmon is a much MUCH better prospect than either of them, plus he has the chemistry. What I'd hate to see with Harmon is him being stuck in some quicksand with this coaching staff because of something like how the last coaching staff (staffs?) used him. He had legit skills coming out last year and people were calling him a number 1 or number 2. 

And what I really don't want to see is us signing another Richardson / Pryor / Roberts type guy. Maybe Harmon will be great or maybe he'll flame out. But what's the point in getting a steal in the draft like he is if we're going to just sign another big name guy to a big contract. 

For me, I don't need a FA at WR.  This draft is insanely stacked at WR so if they want some competition for Harmon, I am cool with it.  Harmon was one of the WR prospects I liked last year.  However, doing apples to apples comparisons to some of the 2nd tier type WRs I like in this draft, I'd take a bunch of them over Harmon.   I didn't see Harmon as a #1 last year, don't recall too many others pegging him that way either.  But I do think he can be a good 2 or 3 type receiver.   I don't think he will flame out.  He's already shown flashes.  But if they in the building like him as a rotational guy, I can see that.  Plus these days IMO you want 4 good receivers ideally -- there almost always seem to be a receiver on the shelf much like the CB position, one guy at least almost is always hurt. 

Archived