Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

On 2/21/2020 at 11:46 AM, Thinking Skins said:

I agree completely with that first paragraph. The second not so much. I would like a WR in the group because our offense skill positions is a really young set right now, but Harmon put up some good numbers for a rookie WR. Hw was a 6th rounder but he was the talk of the draft before the draft and considered a steal. I really like the idea of Haskins developing with McLaurin, Harmon and Sims. I think moving Quinn to a reserve role is a good move because he can help in a variety of roles, but that's where I'd like help. Honestly, I wouldn't mind somebody like a Mo Harris or somebody of his type. I don't know if he has the play-time experience I'd want but with these 3 WRs all having productive rookie seasons, I'd want a guy to develop them and teach them how to work. Is there an AP type WR out there?

Very comfortable going into the season with the starters from last season.   All of them showed potential and have to build off of it.  I can see a mid to late round guy or a vet for stability. But, I hope Harmon is starting week 1. 

I think they got their AP already in McLaurin.  He is going to build that group, Haskins included ;)

1 hour ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

McFarland.....you heard it here.

Mark it and quote me.🤨

That’s a more durable Devonta Freeman to me if he puts it all together, and by that I mean he can produce numerous seasons like the one that got Freeman paid. CMC is a unicorn imo 

52 minutes ago, Berggy9598 said:

That’s a more durable Devonta Freeman to me if he puts it all together, and by that I mean he can produce numerous seasons like the one that got Freeman paid. CMC is a unicorn imo 

Yeah, I don't see the comparison really.

I expect McFarland to be much more explosive as a pro than Freeman.

I think a better comparison is a faster version of Dalvin Cook.

3 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

Yeah, I don't see the comparison really.

I expect McFarland to be much more explosive as a pro than Freeman.

I think a better comparison is a faster version of Dalvin Cook.

It seems like it was ages ago but Freeman was one of the best backs in the league at the time. I see the same contact balance, the same lower body and the same the same ability to make it extremely hard for tacklers to square him out. Physically there are some similarities to Cook but instinctually Cook is on another level imo. Without the nonsense off the field and the injury, Cook is a top 20 pick.That being said, with Guice’s injury history and knowing how much a strong running game can help Haskins, I’m lighting a cigar if McFarland is one of our third round picks. No guarantees he’ll be there though. 

With up to 25 receivers having either Day 1 or Day 2 grades, we can count on a couple of these guys slipping to the 5th or 6th. I'd wait until then given other needs. 

Given the team's strategy in trading down in Day 2 and Day 3 to get more picks (assuming Kyle had influence on that), I could see this team moving back 10-15 slots in the 3rd and 4th to add more Day 3 picks. Our 4th is very attractive because teams have a night to step back and assess who fell out of Day 2 who should not have. There are usually 3-5 really good guys at the top of Day 3 waiting to get picked

19 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

I don't think Dunbar is young/healthy enough to be a key cog here when we would be likely to compete for runs deep into the playoffs.  

I think we're like a year away.  This isn't the NBA, where a turnaround from gutter to contender via the draft takes at least five years.  Adding Chase Young will give us one of the dominant fronts in football.  That's the foundation for contention right there if you can get them the back end support to be an elite defense.  It's also the time frame where a lot of the appealing young talent we drafted from '17-'19 will be approaching or hitting the end of their rookie deals.  Those players will be making big strides and open up a window for like '21 and '22 as they become the heart of the roster.  And that window doesn't have to shut either, so long as we keep drafting well.

I'd keep Dunbar.  A third rounder feels like the comp pick return for watching him walk in free agency.  It's way too low of a trade return given how good he is right now.  We need to start winning now and hopeless secondary play is a barrier to that.  Give Dunbar a pay day like Landon Collins got where it's super front loaded but, realistically, like a two to three year deal.  Draft and develop his future replacement in the meantime.  I would much, much, much rather give Dunbar the money we're talking about giving to any of the other vet FA CBs out there this spring because he's a lot better than all of them right now.

11 hours ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

McFarland.....you heard it here. 

Mark it and quote me.🤨

I've been getting him in the late sixth and seventh in a lot of the mocks I've done the last few weeks.  I think there's a chance that could happen in real life.  I've also been able to get AJ Dillon and Joshua Kelly in the sixth and seventh of the majority of the mocks I've tried.  Value like that is why I'm not in a hurry to draft a RB in the second or third, even though I do love Jonathan Taylor and Edwards-Helaire as prospects.

Why did McFarland declare this year?  It seems like a mistake on his part given the strong chance he'll be under-drafted.  Why not go back to school for next season?

Draft Network's new mock, here's their 2nd round.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/mock-draft-nfl-marino-6.0

Bengals

Damon Arnette

CB, Ohio State

Colts

Jordan Love

QB, Utah State

Lions

Noah Igbinoghene

CB, Auburn

Giants

Grant Delpit

S, LSU

Chargers

D'Andre Swift

RB, Georgia

Panthers

Ross Blacklock

IDL, TCU

Dolphins

J.K. Dobbins

RB, Ohio State

Cardinals

Neville Gallimore

IDL, Oklahoma

Browns

Ashtyn Davis

S, California

Chargers

Lloyd Cushenberry III

IOL, LSU

Bears

Matt Hennessy

IOL, Temple

Panthers

Lucas Niang

OT, TCU

Buccaneers

Austin Jackson

OT, USC

Broncos

Trevon Diggs

CB, Alabama

Falcons

Justin Madubuike

IDL, Texas A&M

Jets

Isaiah Wilson

OT, Georgia

Steelers

Joshua Uche

EDGE, Michigan

Bears

Cameron Dantzler

CB, Mississippi State

Cowboys

A.J. Terrell

CB, Clemson

Rams

Prince Tega Wanogho

OT, Auburn

Browns

Tee Higgins

WR, Clemson

Panthers

Jonah Jackson

IOL, Ohio State

Falcons

Jonathan Taylor

RB, Wisconsin

Dolphins

Raekwon Davis

IDL, Alabama

Texans

Jaylon Johnson

CB, Utah

Vikings

Marlon Davidson

IDL, Auburn

Seahawks

Robert Hunt

IOL, Louisiana

Ravens

Davon Hamilton

IDL, Ohio State

Titans

Bryce Hall

CB, Virginia

Packers

Malik Harrison

LB, Ohio State

Chiefs

Clyde Edwards-Helaire

RB, LSU

Seahawks

Kyle Dugger

S, Lenoir-Rhyne

19 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

For instance, if we moved Dunbar for a 3rd, give me Cam Dantzler or Jeff Gladney AND Troy Pride in the 3rd, 

I like all of these guys but I like Damon Arnette who they have there in the third in that mock even more.  Jaylon Johnson is up there with me, too.   I like a lot of corners but in that next tier group IMO Arnette stands out as long as his character checks out.  Trautman there in the third is tempting for me, too.   But if all those corners are staring at me, I'd likely take one of them and bet on a receiver and TE in the 4th. 

I just did a mock draft on TDN where my picks were:

Rd 1 - CY

Rd 3 - Austin Jackson

Rd 4 - Tyler Biadasz

Rd 5 - Tyler Johnson

Rd 7 - Shyheim Carter

Rd 7 - Calvin Throckmorton

And Robert Windsor, Logan Wilson, Jaylinn Hawkins, James Proche, and Lynn Bowden were all there on the board at my last pick.  There were no comp picks in the mock draft, so it's likely an impossible class, but that's my favorite one yet.  What I wouldn't give for us to get that class...

Pro Football Focus lists Oregon junior T Penei Sewell as the top returning player in the Pac-12.

Not only does Oregon have the top returner in Sewell in PFF's eyes, but they also have the second and fourth best players in cornerbacks Jevon Holland and Mykael Wright, with Washington CB Elijah Molden -- the son of a former Ducks cornerback -- ranking third. Sewell received some Heisman consideration last year, and is considered by many the top tackle prospect in years. Assuming he gives up his senior year, it's not hard to imagine Sewell being a Top 5 pick in 2021.

Feb 23, 2020, 5:50 PM ET
  •  

1 minute ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I just did a mock draft on TDN where my picks were:

Rd 1 - CY

Rd 3 - Austin Jackson

Rd 4 - Tyler Biadasz

Rd 5 - Tyler Johnson

Rd 7 - Shyheim Carter

Rd 7 - Calvin Throckmorton

And Robert Windsor, Logan Wilson, Jaylinn Hawkins, James Proche, and Lynn Bowden were all there on the board at my last pick.  There were no comp picks in the mock draft, so it's likely an impossible class, but that's my favorite one yet.  What I wouldn't give for us to get that class...

F23021EE-ACF0-4FAF-947F-7EC4372AFCCB.gif

Uche up at 49 & Diggs down in the same range in that mock Sip posted

6E5B4DC4-587E-4990-801C-DD8C472C0599.gif

Can someone set me straight on Dugger? So much of playing the safety position is instincts. I know Dugger is a plus athlete. I just feel like there is very little precedent for athletic safeties that didn’t play against comparable competition becoming successful. Am I wrong to view him as a late round guy because of this? I think top of the 3rd is way too early. 

37 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Can someone set me straight on Dugger? So much of playing the safety position is instincts. I know Dugger is a plus athlete. I just feel like there is very little precedent for athletic safeties that didn’t play against comparable competition becoming successful. Am I wrong to view him as a late round guy because of this? I think top of the 3rd is way too early. 

I'll leave that one to @volsmet who I believe is the resident Dugger guy.  

Sullivan has a sick wingspan, he's one of my fav later round TE possibilities

I like Hopkins.  But with those big hands, surprised he has such an issue with drops. 

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I've been getting him in the late sixth and seventh in a lot of the mocks I've done the last few weeks.  I think there's a chance that could happen in real life.  I've also been able to get AJ Dillon and Joshua Kelly in the sixth and seventh of the majority of the mocks I've tried.  Value like that is why I'm not in a hurry to draft a RB in the second or third, even though I do love Jonathan Taylor and Edwards-Helaire as prospects.

Why did McFarland declare this year?  It seems like a mistake on his part given the strong chance he'll be under-drafted.  Why not go back to school for next season?

Coming into Maryland, I think the plan was to do three years...and he has: A redshirt year and two years actually playing.

I have no doubt he's ready to play in the NFL but from a business perspective I think I would have come back for my redshirt junior season.

@Skinsinparadise I have subscribed to both TDN and FanSpeak. FanSpeak includes projected comp picks so until TDN incorporates that I refuse to go past 3 rounds in my mocks on TDN.

It's really too bad, because i love the interface of TDN so much more than FanSpeak, but FanSpeak gives so much flexibility with draft boards, and also offers realistic trades. I think TDN requires you to manually execute trades.

One downside to FanSpeak. If I force a trade to happen (usually with Miami, and throwing in a Skins future 1st to make it go mainly to get the 2020 picks lined up) ... the Dolphins almost always take Chase Young. With TDN I just control the team I trade with and pick the QB to allow for a realistic sim as possible.

I wish the two could be combined.

DJ's new top 50

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001102767/article/daniel-jeremiahs-top-50-2020-nfl-draft-prospect-rankings-20?campaign=Twitter_nfl_cfb

RANK

Chase-Young-1.jpg

Chase Young, Edge

School: Ohio State | Year: Junior
Previous rank: 1

Young is a tall, long and athletic defensive end. As a pass rusher, he explodes off the ball and gains ground in a hurry. He uses a quick swipe move and also has the ability to control the wrists of blockers. He can convert speed to power and is effective on loops and games. He does have a little tightness at the top of his rush. Against the run, he sets the edge easily and uses his quickness to slip blocks and create chaos behind the line of scrimmage. Overall, Young is an All-Pro talent, reminiscent of Julius Peppers and Mario Williams.

RANK

Derrick-Brown-1.jpg

Derrick Brown, DT

School: Auburn | Year: Senior
Previous rank: 2

Brown has excellent size, power and athleticism for the defensive tackle position. As a pass rusher, he has a quick first step and uses his hands very effectively. He wins with a violent club/swim move, a rip move or a nifty up-and-under counter move. Against the run, he easily holds the point of attack. The Auburn product creates separation from blockers with an explosive punch, which allows him to close quickly and make plays. His effort is consistent. Overall, this is a complete player capable of dominating on all three downs. He'll be a difference maker on Day 1.

RANK

Joe-Burrow-1.jpg

Joe Burrow, QB

School: LSU | Year: Senior (RS)
Previous rank: 3

Burrow has solid size for the position and he possesses many elite qualities. He operates out of the gun in the LSU spread attack and he is extremely accurate, efficient and instinctive. He is very smooth in his drop and he has the ability to process through his reads at a rapid pace. He throws with anticipation and he can naturally layer the ball over and under coverage. He doesn't have top shelf arm strength when driving the ball outside the numbers. He relies more on timing/touch. He doesn't flinch versus pressure when he sees something he likes down the field. If he needs to buy time, he can slide and climb the pocket with excellent feel/awareness. He has a nice burst when he leaves the pocket and he is more than a capable runner. Overall, Burrow lacks special arm strength but his combination of poise, accuracy and toughness is very appealing.

RANK

Jeffrey-Okudah-1.jpg

Jeff Okudah, CB

School: Ohio State | Year: Junior
Previous rank: 5

Okudah has ideal size, length, twitch and competitiveness for the position. He is very comfortable and effective in both press and off coverage. He is patient in press and very fluid/smooth when he opens up. He does a nice job of staying on top versus vertical routes and he can locate the football down the field. He has the agility to mirror underneath. In off coverage, he explodes out of his plant and he is a dependable open field tackler. This is a very clean player with a very high floor and ceiling.

RANK

Mekhi-Becton-1.jpg

Mekhi Becton, OT

School: Louisville | Year: Junior
Previous rank: 10

Becton is a massive left tackle prospect with a similar size/skill set to former first-rounder Bryant McKinnie. In pass protection, he has surprisingly nimble feet and uses his length to steer defenders. Even when he fails to land his punch, he can absorb rushers with his girth. He needs to improve his awareness versus games up front. He is a dominating run defender and collects knockdowns by the bunches. He latches on and uses his upper strength to torque and toss. He isn't as effective when working in space. Overall, Becton has areas to improve -- mainly balance and awareness -- but he is a rare athlete at this size and his upside is through the roof.

RANK

Isaiah-Simmons-1.jpg

Isaiah Simmons, LB/S

School: Clemson | Year: Junior (RS)
Previous rank: 4

Simmons is an extremely versatile, athletic defensive chess piece. He is a long, rangy athlete who lined up at linebacker, over the slot and in the deep middle for Clemson, thanks to his diverse and unique skill set. Against the pass, he has terrific range and instincts from the deep middle. He has the speed and agility to match up with top-flight tight ends and backs underneath. He is an explosive blitzer off the edge and in through the middle. Simmons overpowers running backs in protection. Against the run, he takes good angles and his speed allows him to make plays from the back side. He will struggle at times if he has to take on blocks on the edge. Overall, Simmons is built for today's NFL and his role could change week to week, depending on the opponent.

RANK

Tua-Tagovailoa-2.jpg

Tua Tagovailoa, QB

School: Alabama | Year: Junior
Previous rank: 6

Tua lacks ideal height for the position but he has quick feet, eyes and release. He primarily operates in the gun but he will take some snaps under center. He is very crisp and urgent in his setup. He throws off a firm platform and he spins the ball really well. He always throws with the proper pace on slants and crossers. He doesn't have an overpowering arm but he can still place balls in tight windows. He understands how to hold and manipulate safeties with his eyes. He makes good decisions in the RPO game. He is a nifty runner but he prefers to buy time behind the line and remain in passing mode. He did struggle with identifying some underneath defenders when in the red zone. He is coming off a serious hip injury and that must be factored into his evaluation. Overall, Tua is the ultimate point guard. If he can remain healthy, he has the potential to be one of the NFL's most efficient passers.

RANK

Javon-Kinlaw-1.jpg

Javon Kinlaw, DT

School: South Carolina | Year: Senior
Previous rank: 7

Kinlaw is a hulking defensive tackle prospect. As a pass rusher, he has a sudden get-off and he's quick to shoot his hands and drive back blockers. He will also incorporate a push/pull move on occasion. He does need to broaden his arsenal of moves, but there is tremendous upside. Against the run, he easily locks out single blocks, but he gets washed by angle blocks and double teams. His effort is solid. Kinlaw showed out against elite competition, but he played down to the level of lesser opponents. Overall, Kinlaw's best football is in front of him and he has Pro Bowl potential.

RANK

CeeDee-Lamb-1.jpg

CeeDee Lamb, WR

School: Oklahoma | Year: Junior
Previous rank: 8

Lamb is a tall, lean wideout with top-tier hands, toughness and production. He lines up inside and outside. He is a smooth, fluid route runner and understands how to set up cornerbacks. He also has a good feel in zone. He attacks the ball when working back to the quarterback and tracks the ball naturally down the field. Lamb doesn't have elite speed, but he can find some extra juice when the ball is in the air. He is at his best after the catch, as he consistently breaks tackles and is also very elusive. Overall, Lamb is a polished player who is equally explosive and reliable.

RANK

Jerry-Jeudy-1.jpg

Jerry Jeudy, WR

Previous rank: 9

Jeudy is an elite route runner with outstanding burst, body control and awareness. He explodes off the line and uses his quickness to avoid press coverage. His snap at the top of the route is as good as any prospect in the last decade. He has the ability to make plays outside of his frame, but he will have some concentration lapses, which lead to drops. After the catch, he is very slippery and elusive, although he isn't going to break a lot of tackles. Overall, Jeudy is a loose athlete with elite route skills and he should emerge as a high-volume production guy very early in his career.

RANK

Henry-Ruggs-1.jpg

Henry Ruggs III, WR

Previous rank: 12

Ruggs has an unbelievable blend of speed and toughness. He lines up outside and in the slot. He ran a lot of slants and take-off routes in Alabama's offense -- and he was special on both. Ruggs boasts world-class speed -- he truly explodes off the line and after the catch. He needs to continue to refine his releases against press (he gives up his chest too often), but not many defenses will want to take that chance against his speed. His hands are good not great and he does allow too many balls into his chest. After the catch, he runs away from most defenders while occasionally running through them. He is outstanding on jet sweeps and also has kick-return value. Overall, Ruggs has Tyreek Hill-type ability. He will be a matchup nightmare every week.

Archived