Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

47 minutes ago, KDawg said:

It's not any one thing. It's the sum of the total. I actually agree with a lot of it. But I'm convinced that a lot of the draft community doesn't remember how much they gushed over Nick Bosa, Von Miller, Khalil Mack, etc. 

Chase Young is going to be awesome. 

But there will be another generational talent in a few years being touted on the EDGE.

Agree, but you have to admit, Von Miller and Khalil Mack are phenomenal guys at the position, and they deserve to be in the "SOME of the best of all time (not THE best) to play the position" conversation.. If this dude is as good as those two, or better in his pro career? It's an exciting thing to contemplate, especially in the wasteland that has been Redskins football the last 25 years.

I know it's probably a pipe dream, but if somehow both Kyle Dugger and Akeem Davis-Gaither are available at pick #66 who do you choose?

https://theathletic.com/1619483/2020/02/20/the-first-round-draft-talent-no-one-in-the-nfl-saw-coming/

“A lot of times post-snap I would say I was a ‘Mr. Fix It,'” said Dugger, who transitioned from cornerback to safety at Leinor Rhyne. “I was an extra a lot of times for this defense. I had to fix gaps and make sure nothing got split or nothing broke and kind of correct all the mistakes.”

That package of athletic prowess and football knowledge is what has NFL teams differing on where he fits best. Some think he’s just a safety, others think he can play linebacker. For a team like Buffalo that uses a “big nickel” as a hybrid of a nickel corner and a linebacker, he’s a natural fit. Dugger said he feels most comfortable at safety, but will play anywhere on the field and relish the chance to show off his versatility. In a league where tight ends are becoming harder to cover, Dugger has the skill set to do that.

“He’s really a cool chess piece,” Nagy said. “I think (Clemson safety/linebacker) Isaiah Simmons is getting all the love as being that guy in this draft, but Kyle, he’s going to be a nice matchup piece wherever you put him. You can move this guy all around. It’s just going to take a coordinator who is willing to think outside the box a little bit and play to his strengths.”

The final piece of Dugger’s evaluation is his leadership. He’s a quieter personality, but his words carried weight at Lenoir Rhyne. His teammates would follow him anywhere after he stood by them through three different coaching staffs. He had the opportunity to bolt but always thought it would be selfish.

PFF Draft Guide

Akeem Davis-Gaither earned letters in football, track and field, basketball and baseball at Thomasville High School in North Carolina. The 6-foot-2, 200-pounder received 10 offers as a two-star recruit, including Boston College, Charlotte and App State.His father, Akeem Brian Davis, is an assistant coach (wide receivers) at Western Michigan. Davis-Gaither got the starting nod in the overhang role for App State back in 2018 in his redshirt junior season. That year he put on a show with an 83.6 run defense grade, 75.9 coverage grade, and seven pass breakups.He added to his bag of tricks when he returned for his senior year and the coaching staff decided to deploy him as a blitz weapon. He rushed the passer 190 times this past season, registering 25 pressures and an 82.2 pass-rushing grade in the process. That high pass-rushing grade means those pressures were no fluke. Davis-Gaither was beating offensive tackle to rack up those bad boys, often times in impressive fashion. He also built upon his excellent run defense grade to earn an 87.1 this past season. All that adds up to one of the most well-rounded linebackers in college football.

You'd be hard pressed to find too many linebackers in this class smoother than Davis-Gaither. Whether it's flipping his hips in coverage, bending around an offensive lineman, or mirroring a running back in space, Davis-Gaither makes it look easy. The problem is, it all comes in a package that looks more like a safety. Having not played between the tackles makes that even more concerning. That being said, it'sextremely encouraging that he's been excellent versus the run and as a pass-rusher. His ability to beat offensive lineman one-on-one is a fantastic skill to have when projecting to the NFL.

Would ESers trade the #2 for Watson? I think @stevemcqueen1 dismissing the Tua talk as worthless is a bit on the skanktimonious side considering the fact that zero here matters to the Washington Redskins, nobody we like, no player we break down, none of *it has more intrinsic value — there is just as good a chance of us taking Tua at 2 as there is of us taking anyone’s favorite CB sleeper in round 6. I talk football with football humans all the time & the hypotheticals *are unending. We can’t change the past & we have no influence over the present or future, so nothing we say here matters... unless, we are here to embrace one another’s different takes &, perhaps, apply some portion of those considerations to what we may evaluate in the future. 

If Tua is winning & proves to be significantly better than DH, and Young is here on a .500 team, then taking Young will have been the wrong decision. Saying that in 5 years would be revisionist, it’s far more valuable, for the purposes of this conversation, & future conversations, to share nearly anything pertinent you believe in or want to discuss. Minimizing the thoughts of others does nothing for the thread — brilliance occurs when bright people throw a million ideas at the wall, talk those ideas out to their natural conclusion, and always have them to reference. You just never know what random thought will spawn the next belief of your own .. you don’t know where a conversation may go unless you call for its conclusion. I’ve been in conversations that started about absolute nonsense that ended in some of the best things people I admire have shared/realized & gone on to *write about. 

Things we are passionate about, in agreement or disagreement, are invaluable - the ability to invest emotion into our considerations is when most brilliant philosophical discoveries are made. Many artists get high to paint or write, they need something sparked in the brain that they can’t get on their own ... disagreements create a response in the brain that give us access to more, not less, than we have without that stimulus. 

9DBD6DC1-ED61-40B0-B7C1-E3B33E4DF7C6.gif

With the news of Dunbar still wanting out and Trent maybe staying, out third round pick absolutely has to be a CB. I don’t care if we sign Bradbury, outside of Moreau and Moreland we have no one. 

push hard for Hooper in FA and draft a CB at 66. The draft depth at corner is very top heavy.

30 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

With the news of Dunbar still wanting out and Trent maybe staying, out third round pick absolutely has to be a CB. I don’t care if we sign Bradbury, outside of Moreau and Moreland we have no one. 

push hard for Hooper in FA and draft a CB at 66. The draft depth at corner is very top heavy.

We have a large hole at LB as well. I’d be ecstatic if we could get Akeem in the 3rd or 4th as BPA and a CB in the other slot.

10 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

As a long leader in the trade Trent movement, there is no way I’d support dealing him for a 2nd or later — get the big guy back in the building if we aren’t taking a first for him. I know it’s been offered, which is why I was so adamant that we move him, but circumstances have changed & we need to protect DH. Trent should be a top 10 tackle for the duration of DHs contract, lets get him in, unless we can get Thomas for him. 🤔

12 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

You want to make Hooper the highest paid TE in the nfl? I like the guy, but that’s a pricey move for the hoop.

1 minute ago, Redskins Reparations said:

Hooper will definitely be expensive!  I am hoping Albert O will be available when it comes time to select our 3rd rounder

He was consistently mocked in round 1 headed into the season & now I never see his name. I don’t recall too many prospects dropping off the radar quite like that, particularly not at a skill position. 

4 minutes ago, volsmet said:

He was consistently mocked in round 1 headed into the season & now I never see his name. I don’t recall too many prospects dropping off the radar quite like that, particularly not at a skill position. 

I noticed that as well...I know there are concerns with his blocking but I certainly haven’t seen anything regarding his character?

9 minutes ago, volsmet said:

Heard his combine could get him back on the draft media radar but the truth is these guys don’t go anywhere and the scouts likely have a good sense of where he should go. I’ve seen him mocked anywhere from around 3 to 5 but mostly in the late 4th-5th range. He’s a guy I’d target in the 4th if he’s still around. 

47 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

I disagree. It’s such a deep WR class that unless we sign Green/Cooper or trsde for Diggs, I think i want to leave 66 open to a WR to complement what we already have. Our need to acquire a starting CB will depend on what we do with Dunbar and who we bring in in FA. if we sign a Dennard + Bradberry and trade Dunbar for a 4th, I don’t think you need to go CB in this draft and if you do it could certainly be with a 4th to 5th. 

5 minutes ago, Redskins Reparations said:

I noticed that as well...I know there are concerns with his blocking but I certainly haven’t seen anything regarding his character?

Nothing I’ve heard either, I forgot he existed until your post. 🤷🏻‍♂️

2 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Heard his combine could get him back on the draft media radar but the truth is these guys don’t go anywhere and the scouts likely have a good sense of where he should go. I’ve seen him mocked anywhere from around 3 to 5 but mostly in the late 4th-5th range. He’s a guy I’d target in the 4th if he’s still around. 

I disagree. It’s such a deep WR class that unless we sign Green/Cooper or trsde for Diggs, I think i want to leave 66 open to a WR to complement what we already have. Our need to acquire a starting CB will depend on what we do with Dunbar and who we bring in in FA. if we sign a Dennard + Bradberry and trade Dunbar for a 4th, I don’t think you need to go CB in this draft and if you do it could certainly be with a 4th to 5th. 

A deep WR class means you can get a fairly good one in the fourth. I wouldn’t be opposed to trading our third for two thirds later in the round if we can. I honestly can’t think of more than 12-13 teams that would need to spend a first or second or even a third on a WR although you can never have too much depth at that position.

And yeah it obviously depends on what we do with Dunbar. If he stays then CB isn’t an urgent position to draft. But if we’re essentially signing two of the top three or four CB in a very weak FA crop, I would be skeptical if anything.

In other words, even though we only have one legit receiver (so far), I still don’t think it’s a position of urgency. There is so much young talent on this team and I truly expect us to be a run heavy team with a large dose of RB and TE passes. We already have more depth at receiver than Ron ever had at Carolina. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2020-nfl-mock-draft-lock-in-joe-burrow-to-bengals-plus-saints-and-packers-add-receivers-in-round-1/

Round 1 - Pick 16

team logo
ALABAMA • SR • 6'5" / 252 LBS
PROJECTED TEAM
Atlanta
PROSPECT RNK
38th
POSITION RNK
5th

He can play a variety of spots and the Falcons need somebody to amp up that pass rush. 

PFF playing off of @volsmet.  Loved Tua for years.  I'd be one of the few people here who would be fine with them taking him but I think zero chance it happens so tough to entertain the idea but got no problem if someone wants to entertain it.  I am a big Chase Young guy to say the least.  I'd take a healthy Tua though over Chase.  Not sure though about Tua coming off two ankle surgeries and hip surgery though.   Tua's injuries and his knack for getting banged up in addition to that is what makes me pause.  But if healthy I'd take him over Haskins without blinking an eye. 

13 hours ago, Redskins Reparations said:

Hooper will definitely be expensive!  I am hoping Albert O will be available when it comes time to select our 3rd rounder.

I'd say slam dunk Albert O is there in the 3rd round, he might be there with our late 4th rounder. 

By my estimation and many draft geek types he's ball park the 6th or so best TE in this draft.  I like him but IMO there are slightly better choices at TE that I spelled out about in other posts.   IMO there are a group of TE's about 7 give or take that have similar ability.  I'd put Trautman #1, Kmet #2.  Probably Harrison Bryant #3.  After them IMO:  Hunter Bryant, Pickney, Hopkins, Albert O would all be similar talent wise.  But like I've been saying the combine might reshuffle that.  Should be interesting.

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I'd say slam dunk Albert O is there in the 3rd round, he might be there with our late 4th rounder. 

By my estimation and many draft geek types he's ball park the 6th or so best TE in this draft.  I like him but IMO there are slightly better choices at TE that I spelled out about in other posts.   IMO there are a group of TE's about 7 give or take that have similar ability.  I'd put Trautman #1, Kmet #2.  Probably Harrison Bryant #3.  After them IMO:  Hunter Bryant, Pickney, Hopkins, Albert O would all be similar talent wise.  But like I've been saying the combine might reshuffle that.  Should be interesting.

If they don't snag Trautman, Kmet or Harrison B., I'm probably waiting until late in the draft for a TE pick up. They wouldn't be the BPA in my opinion at our pick, and there isn't enough of a talent differential between that second tier to reach for them. LB/CB/WR/OL/RB BPA is where I would look in rounds 3, 4 & 5. RB isn't a need, necessarily. But having another good one is a good problem to have. And if the other two can't be healthy (which to be fair to Love isn't a pox mark on him yet), we'll need a horse in the stable for 2021 when AP is likely gone. 

I'm not in love with the FA TEs at all.

Hunter Henry is a walking injury. Austin Hooper will cost too much for what he is, in my opinion. Of the two, I prefer Henry. And if we could get him for a lower cost per year that would be great. But in a light ass FA class, he's going to fetch a good contract I'd bet. At minimum Olsen money. Likely more. 

Cost isn't much of a problem at the moment with how the Skins books are, but it could be... fast. Money will need to be spent at corner, FS, LB. And maybe WR. We will likely need a backup QB at minimum (if they like Haskins, it's going to be a Bortles type I think, which is still a cost, though not heavy). We have rookie deals that are coming up that will need money for extensions, too.

People will scoff at this, and they have a good reason to because there is a LOT to prove, but I am okay rolling with Hentges, Sprinkle and Wilson. I'd like to upgrade there, so if we could find a late rounder or a cheaper FA option that would be good. 

I also think a little attention at WR relieves pressure at the TE spot. So if we don't snag one of the TEs, I think a guy like Diggs or even a Cooper is imperative to pair with McLaurin. That lets Harmon take on a non-starter role (though I think he's going to be solid). Sims in the slot. Quinn is likely either a second slot or released.

I like Hentges, a lot. But again, I understand he has a lot to prove. And the part I'm not as comfortable with there is Sprinkle as the 2. I love him as the 3. A guy who gets involved in the game, can catch some balls, can block a little. But as a 2 I'm not feeling great. Would be good if Wilson can develop. 

I'm not sure if he can transition there, or if he'd want to, but I think there's a significant opportunity for Cam Sims at tight end as well. 6-5, 220 lbs right now. He'd need to add some bulk to transition... Even Niles Paul was 242. But adding a good 10-15 pounds would help him. If he can develop as a blocker he could find a roster spot. 

4 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Not an awful idea about Cam Sims. If Hentges is our TE1 I guess I could think of worse things. I'd rather him at  TE1, then Sprinkle at TE2. Right now, it's about the most desperate spot on the roster, maybe behind CB.

I kind of agree (besides FS, CB and OLB :ols:

But that's also why you can't reach to reach. Signing a guy like Hunter Henry for big money could be tremendous. If he stays healthy and plays the team is instantly better. But there are a lot of questions there. And the talent disparity in the draft tight ends doesn't make me jump up and scream to snag any of them. 

I'd rather pay a surer bet like Cooper or Diggs and then get okay players at TE until we have the opportunity to snag a real good one without reaching or paying a large portion of our cap % or assets

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I kind of agree (besides FS, CB and OLB :ols:

But that's also why you can't reach to reach. Signing a guy like Hunter Henry for big money could be tremendous. If he stays healthy and plays the team is instantly better. But there are a lot of questions there. And the talent disparity in the draft tight ends doesn't make me jump up and scream to snag any of them. 

I'd rather pay a surer bet like Cooper or Diggs and then get okay players at TE until we have the opportunity to snag a real good one without reaching or paying a large portion of our cap % or assets

FS has been a hole for a decade. Surprised we didn't just move Norman there. :ols:  ah, the old coaching we've had. lol

It'll be interesting with Turners offense being TE heavy. Kind of feels like a huge need. Especially with a good TE being a you QBs best friend.

33 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

PFF playing off of @volsmet.  Loved Tua for years.  I'd be one of the few people here who would be fine with them taking him but I think zero chance it happens so tough to entertain the idea but got no problem if someone wants to entertain it.  I am a big Chase Young guy to say the least.  I'd take a healthy Tua though over Chase.  Not sure though about Tua coming off two ankle surgeries and hip surgery though.   Tua's injuries and his knack for getting banged up in addition to that is what makes me pause.  But if healthy I'd take him over Haskins without blinking an eye. 

If someone could assure me that Tua will be having a long, mostly injury-free career and will not be hampered at all by his hip injury, I would take him over Young. 

Then again, it would be nice if someone could assure me that Haskins will never be a franchise QB.  Because if he is, I'm running to the podium with Chase Young's name on my card.

Trying to figure out what to do with the #2 pick could leave one or two decision makers in a straitjacket.🤪

5 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

FS has been a hole for a decade. Surprised we didn't just move Norman there. :ols:  ah, the old coaching we've had. lol

It'll be interesting with Turners offense being TE heavy. Kind of feels like a huge need. Especially with a good TE being a you QBs best friend.

I think you can mask that need for a tight end by using formations. If we add a receiver or two, you can move guys to tight bunches and get creative in your blocking schemes to run a very similar offense without the same type of personnel. If Turner is worth his coaching position, he'll have a plan if the TEs aren't up to snuff. I don't think it's tough to mask, to be honest. But ideally, you'd have a few tight ends that can do it. 

Archived