Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

2 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

I like Cam Dantzler but I don't think there's a chance he makes it out of the 2nd

I feel you, but I'm thinking one of these corners are going to drop to #66, especially after the combine if guys like Troy and Noah rise higher and have a chance to go in the 2nd round. In 2018 9 CB's went in the 1st and 2nd Round and last year 8 did. And for this year the top two tiers below have 11 guys in total while also competing with an absolutely stacked WR class.

We've got the following guys all with 1st-2nd Round Grades

Jeffrey Okudah

CJ Henderson

Kristian Fulton

Trevon Diggs

Jaylon Johnson

Jeff Gladney

Cameron Dantzler

Damon Arnette

Bryce Hall

Guys who could slip into the 2nd or higher with a great combine and potential high upside

Noah Ibinoghene

Troy Pride Jr

Guys who are normally good value in the 3rd and 4th depending on scheme

AJ Terrell (1st/2nd round measurables with 3rd/4th round tape)

Darnay Holmes (Slot)

Michael Ojemudia (Zone)

Amik Robertson (Slot)

Harrison Hand (Zone)

Essang Basey? (Slot, but poor tackler even for a cb)

(I've still got a lot more guys to study up on, so this list is incomplete)

We are in a

32 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I tell ya what... I really don’t like Burrow’s attitude. I’ve been saying it for months. Seems like the kind of guy that rubs a locker room the absolute wrong way.

Fortunately for us, we are pretty insulated from this situation. If the Bengals trade #1 to a team that takes Burrow, we are in the same spot we were before.

If the Bengals take Chase Young, I'll be bummed out, but then that means we will get a pretty nice draft haul for Burrow.

It is a win/win.

28 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I tell ya what... I really don’t like Burrow’s attitude. I’ve been saying it for months. Seems like the kind of guy that rubs a locker room the absolute wrong way.

I thought he was such a ****ing gump when I saw him just walking around or whatever, but the way he plays...

He's got a Jay Cutler comp. for me when it comes to face-punchability

1 hour ago, skinny21 said:

SIP - yeah, that’s one thing that I think is just a bit off about one particular argument for not trading down... essentially that we’re bypassing ‘elite’, for just ‘good’.  I’m not sure if Okudah is an elite prospect (he may be), but I believe he’s at least an excellent one.

I've been on an odd journey with Okudah, I was one of the first if I recall to mention him here earlier last season, loved him initially, then 1 game made me question it some (can't recall now which one) but I think I've landed on love him as a prospect.  Watching Arnette, Young, in a series of games, etc gave me more looks at Okudah.  I think he does it all.  He's physical.  He's fast.  He mirrors well.  On and on.  I think he may indeed be elite for a corner.  Yet, I do like Chase over Okudah.  I think Young is at least half a peg better of a player and I value edge over corner.  And I like the depth better for corner in this draft than I do for edge.   But I've switched on one point.  If we traded down I'd take Okudah over Simmons -- previously I said the opposite.  

Don’t really want to get into trade down talk here (there’s a more appropriate thread for that), particularly since I don’t see a trade back happening and I’m leaning hard toward drafting Young anyway.  Really hope the Giants take an OT instead.  There’s hope on that front with Gettleman at the helm, but corner is such a huge need for them.  I could also see them trading out of the pick, which I have mixed feelings about.  

Me, too.  I want them to take Willis.  The three guys i don't want to see there in order:  1. Young.  2. Okudah  3.  Simmons.

Anywho, anyone see Tyler Johnson’s numbers re. breakout age/dominator rating?  Holy cow.  

I think Tyler might be my favorite possession type receiver in this group -- dying to see what he does in the combine.   

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

Maybe I'm the only one, but I don't care who the Giants, Cowboys or Eagles get. You have to account for them, but you can't do anything to change it unless you're willing to jeopardize your own position. 

It's a part of football. Kick your ass no matter who you have! :)

Agree, its out of our control but I don't love it when any of my favorite prospects end up in the NFC East playing against us. 

45 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Yep...and that attitude doesnt scream like a team first kinda guy. I would be supremely bummed we dont get chase young if they picked him 1st. I mean yeah woo hoo a haul of picks. But granted it maybe a good thing if we don't get him. I touted rg3 to all my peoples way before we drafted him as THE guy I want. Same with doctson...lol

Moving to another analytics driven vehicle, here's PFF's take of whom they think are the top receivers. 

With seven receivers among the top 32 of PFF's latest draft board and nine more in the top 100, don't be surprised if the 2020 class comes close to topping the 2014 class. Make no mistake, this is the best receiver group we have ever graded.

Let's dive into the strengths and weaknesses of our top eight wideouts, all of whom have a chance to be first-rounders, using our stats and grades from every play:

333.png&h=110&w=110

1. Jerry Jeudy, Alabama

2019 stats: 101 targets, 71 receptions, 959 yards (487 YAC), 9 touchdowns, 14 broken tackles, 121.7 passer rating

2019 PFF grade: 83.2 overall, 83.8 receiving

Jeudy might not have quite the numbers he had a year ago, but he is a special prospect. Not many receivers around the country are fighting for targets with three other potential first-round receivers, so we'll give Jeudy a pass for only 959 yards this season. There isn't a single thing about the receiver position that Jeudy can't do at a high level. His route running is as good as it gets. His speed is such that last season he ran away from Ole Miss safety Zedrick Woods, who ran a 4.29 40-yard dash at the 2019 NFL combine. Jeudy has broken 30 tackles on 139 catches since the start of last season. It all adds up to a receiving weapon that can be deployed at any level of the field.

That's not to say there aren't some legit concerns with him as a prospect. Jeudy is an unknown against press coverage, having faced it only 62 times all season. The vast majority of routes in his career have come from the slot, which can often mean he's open via scheme and not necessarily beating a defender one-on-one. But we've seen more than enough of him leaving defensive backs in the dust over the past couple of seasons to be too worried.

Where he could be picked in the 2020 draft: The top three picks wouldn't be too high to take Jeudy. He's a special talent who won't leave the first half of Round 1.

201.png&h=110&w=110

2. CeeDee Lamb, Oklahoma

2019 stats: 70 targets, 50 receptions, 1,033 yards (553 YAC), 14 touchdowns, 18 broken tackles, 147.3 passer rating

2019 PFF grade: 87.8 overall, 88.8 receiving

Even in a loaded receiver class, Lamb and Jeudy are still in a tier of their own. Lamb is the total package by any measure of receiver play. He has incredible ball skills, with only two drops on 52 catchable passes this season. The junior has arguably been the most electric player in the country after the catch, with 18 broken tackles and an 11.1 YAC average. While his 1,033 yards isn't eye-popping, Lamb's 3.81 yards per route is the highest in the class.

3. Laviska Shenault Jr., Colorado

2019 stats: 80 targets, 56 receptions, 764 yards (420 YAC), 4 touchdowns, 15 broken tackles, 111.7 passer rating

2019 PFF grade: 83.2 overall, 83.8 receiving

Go back to the sophomore tape on Shenault from 2018. A preseason surgery and multiple other injuries have forced him to play a different role this year. After he was almost always around the ball last season, whether it was from the slot, wing or backfield alignment, Shenault has been playing much more on the outside this season in an effort to subject him to fewer hits. It's why he has only 56 receptions in 2019 after having 87 last year.

With the ball in his hands, though, Shenault is a threat to take it to the house on every play. He broke 29 tackles after the catch last season and managed 15 this season. He cranks it up from 0 to 100 mph in the blink of an eye and has thoroughly been underutilized as a downfield receiver in Colorado's offense. While he might get pigeonholed as a "gadget" type player, we believe he has shown far more than that. His ball skills have been exceptional, with 14 contested catches on 22 opportunities the past two years.

Where he could be picked in the 2020 draft: Shenault has the talent to be a top-15 pick, but injuries might scare teams away. He's still likely to be a first-rounder.

333.png&h=110&w=110

4. Henry Ruggs III, Alabama

2019 stats: 50 targets, 38 receptions, 717 yards (401 YAC), 7 touchdowns, 3 broken tackles, 157.1 passer rating

2019 PFF grade: 74.9 overall, 75.0 receiving

Ruggs doesn't get a ton of targets in Alabama's offense, but good things happen when the ball is thrown his way. In his three college seasons, Ruggs' targets have resulted in a passer rating of 153.5 for his quarterbacks.

He is legitimately in the conversation for fastest receiver in the country and has an extra gear that few defensive backs have been able to match. Unlike a lot of pure speed receivers, he attacks the ball extremely well. He has dropped only four of 100 catchable passes in his career. With everyone else in the Alabama receiving corps outpacing his numbers, though, Ruggs could be a candidate to return to school in 2020 to be "the guy."

Where he could be picked in the 2020 draft: True 4.3 speed doesn't last long in the draft. He's a much more polished speedster than Phillip Dorsett was coming out in 2015, and Dorsett went 29th overall.

228.png&h=110&w=110

5. Tee Higgins, Clemson

2019 stats: 61 targets, 43 receptions, 900 yards (255 YAC), 10 touchdowns, 7 broken tackles, 138.8 passer rating

2019 PFF grade: 88.8 overall, 89.0 receiving

If you're looking for a bigger receiver in this draft class, Higgins is your man. His ball skills are out of this world with only five drops on 107 catchable passes the past two seasons, and he has converted 19 of 35 contested catches over that span. The junior has already developed a fantastic rapport with quarterback Trevor Lawrence, as they routinely connect on back-shoulder throws.

Higgins' 3.57 yards per route is the third highest in the draft class, and at 6-foot-4, 216 pounds, he's not solely a possession receiver. He has 12 deep catches this season, ninth in the country. While he might not have the top-end speed and separation ability of some of the others in the draft class, he makes up for it with other elite traits.

Where he could be picked in the 2020 draft: I expect Higgins to leapfrog one of the receivers above him come draft day because he offers something they don't: size. He's the best big receiver in this class and will be highly coveted because of it.

2628.png&h=110&w=110

6. Jalen Reagor, TCU

2019 stats: 89 targets, 43 receptions, 611 yards (141 YAC), 5 touchdowns, 5 broken tackles, 71.0 passer rating

2019 PFF grade: 69.1 overall, 66.9 receiving grade

No receiver in the country has suffered more from his situation the past couple of seasons than Reagor. It's not simply the shoddy quarterback play at TCU but also the offense around him. Defenses knew where Reagor was lining up snap after snap, as 653 of his 786 snaps last season came at right outside wide receiver. From there, TCU coaches made no effort to get the ball into their most dynamic playmaker's hands; Reagor was targeted on only 11 screens. In fact, 162 players in college football have seen more screen targets this year than Reagor. For a receiver who will almost surely run in the 4.3s and have a vertical jump around 40 inches, that's difficult to believe.

pla

Reagor is yet another prospect who will have to let his 2018 tape do the talking. That season, he brought in 71 balls for 1,040 yards and nine scores. Even with one of the lowest-graded quarterbacks in the country, he put up legit numbers as a true sophomore. He didn't help himself this season with seven drops, but he has played bigger than his listed 5-foot-11, 195 pounds with 27 contested catches in his career.

Where he could be picked in the 2020 draft: Reagor's lack of production in 2019 could drop him into the second round. That'd be a steal for the team that gets him at that point.

135.png&h=110&w=110

7. Tyler Johnson, Minnesota

2019 stats: 104 targets, 75 receptions, 1,113 yards (390 YAC), 11 touchdowns, 9 broken tackles, 138.0 passer rating

2019 PFF grade: 89.9 overall, 90.0 receiving

Maybe the most amazing thing about the 2020 receiver class is that it took us this long to get to a receiver who isn't a true junior. Johnson easily could have been a Day 2 pick after going over 1,000 yards last season, but he returned to row the boat another season.

The biggest issue he had to clean up from 2018 was his drops. He let 10 of 88 catchable passes last season hit the turf and had seven on 42 catchable balls the year before. He has improved some this year with six drops on 81 catchable throws, but it's likely something you'll just have to live with when drafting the Minnesota receiver.

The reason we're still high on him is that the drops look far more concentration-based than indicative of his ability to catch. He hauled in 14 of his 20 contested targets this season, which is an impossibly high rate for someone who did have legitimately bad ball skills. Johnson might not win at a high rate deep, but he's an incredibly refined route-runner whose 27 catches in the intermediate range (10-19 yards downfield) was sixth in college football this season.

Where he could be picked in the 2020 draft: Johnson has a similar skill set to a player like Davante Adams coming out of Fresno State back in 2014. Adams went in the back half of Round 2, which feels like a fair estimation for Johnson at this point.

30.png&h=110&w=110

8. Michael Pittman Jr., USC

2019 stats: 122 targets, 95 receptions, 1,216 yards (470 YAC), 11 touchdowns, 14 broken tackles, 124.6 passer rating

2019 PFF grade: 83.3 overall, 82.5 receiving

While it took Pittman until his senior season to truly break out, there are a few reasons why we're ready to believe he's no fluke. The first is that he has had to deal with more press coverage (153 snaps) this season than any other receiver on this list, and he still produced.

The second is that even in a loaded USC receiving corps featuring Amon-Ra St. Brown and Tyler Vaughns, Pittman rose to the top as the Trojans' go-to guy, with 23 more targets and 337 more yards than the next closest USC wideout. Additionally, Pittman's hands have us sold on his ability. He has dropped only four passes on 169 catchable in his career. Those are some absurdly sticky mitts for a 6-foot-4, 220-pound wideout who will do wonders in the red zone at the next level.

Where he could be picked in the 2020 draft: Pittman's lack of top-tier athleticism could push him out of the first round, but don't let that make you think he won't be productive. His game is very much in the mold of players like Michael Thomas and Kenny Golladay, who have both done all right for themselves as Day 2 picks.

http://insider.espn.com/nfl/draft2020/insider/story/_/id/28224194/meet-elite-wide-receiver-class-2020-nfl-draft-8-potential-first-round-picks

17 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

@Fresh8686 Going to be a really tough decision ahead about that pick at #66. There's a good chance we are staring at a high-caliber starting WR or CB there. Possibly a LB or OT too. Will need to decide what the priority position is (after FA obviously) to hit there.

Yup, I wouldn't be surprised at all if we hit CB hard in FA and then it becomes more viable to look at the 4th/5th or even 7th round as a landing spot for future picks at that position.

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

His dad was one of my coaches. 

Myself and every player I know would agree his father is a douchebag. 

Gus Bradley on the other hand was loved. 

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Moving to another analytics driven vehicle, here's PFF's take of whom they think are the top receivers. 

It'd be a disappointment if Johnson ends up going back half of the second.  Most of the mocks I've played with have had him going in the fourth, but he'd be a strong BPA candidate at 66 for me, if he were there.  Interesting that he's PFF's highest graded receiver on that list this year.  I think we need to start thinking of him as being closer to Higgins than not.

I'm also going to go try and find some 2018 cut ups for Shenault.  I wasn't impressed with anything I saw from him this season, and I watched like five Colorado games during the season.  But if there are mitigating circumstances to his season, I want to take another look at him.

Not surprised about Raegor's grade BTW.  He's not a good football player and that's a low grade in any context, especially for a Big 12 receiver.

2 hours ago, 757SeanTaylor21 said:

Yep...and that attitude doesnt scream like a team first kinda guy. I would be supremely bummed we dont get chase young if they picked him 1st. I mean yeah woo hoo a haul of picks. But granted it maybe a good thing if we don't get him. I touted rg3 to all my peoples way before we drafted him as THE guy I want. Same with doctson...lol

if we are gonna trade back I will feel a damn sight better about it if Young has already been taken #1 overall.

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

It'd be a disappointment if Johnson ends up going back half of the second.  Most of the mocks I've played with have had him going in the fourth, but he'd be a strong BPA candidate at 66 for me, if he were there.  Interesting that he's PFF's highest graded receiver on that list this year.  I think we need to start thinking of him as being closer to Higgins than not.

I'm also going to go try and find some 2018 cut ups for Shenault.  I wasn't impressed with anything I saw from him this season, and I watched like five Colorado games during the season.  But if there are mitigating circumstances to his season, I want to take another look at him.

Not surprised about Raegor's grade BTW.  He's not a good football player and that's a low grade in any context, especially for a Big 12 receiver.

Hoping Johnson falls as well, really interesting prospect, just worried about his athletic profile, he ceases being a value if he's a second rounder, not sure how much value there is with him at the top of the third, I think I would pass on that, at least for now, maybe he surprises at the combine. Both Shenault and Reagor were derailed by side issues, Shenault injuries, Reagor by the worst QB play in college football. Gonna be interesting to see how Reagor turns out as we are on total opposite sides of that argument.  he could go the way of Corey Coleman, we'll see, but I'm a big believer in his talent. 

Some Major Misses from PFF last year w/regards to playmaking positions (that I liked as well, and/or hated):

JAWS 22nd overall-Whoops

Grier-24th overall-Whoops (I liked him too)

Isabella-30th overall-Whoops (I LOVED him, and still do)

H. Butler-42nd-Ouch. 

N. Harry-61st-Whoops (I love him, so we'll see)

R. Ridley-71st-Mega Whoops-All tape all the time. Analytics people loathed him.

Monty-79th-Tape people loved Montgomery, analytics people viewed him as a huge reach, he sucked last year but still appears to have the gig.

K. Harmon-81st Whoops (We seem to like him though, I know I did)

Miles Sanders-After Monty at 82nd was hysterical then, even funnier now

Miles Boykin-87th-Ouch. 

E. Hall-89th. Double Ouch, though I liked him a day 3 value.

R. Finley-94th: Umm, NO. 

Looks like 2018 is subscriber only. Anyway, I like PFF as a nice collector of tape people perspectives, but it's still tape based grading, then again, it does have the added value of systematizing it, rather than just vaguely watching film and making proclamations, and they also build stat based data bases to evaluate efficiency and what not, so they're alright, but like all methodologies, it has its strengths and weaknesses. They hit on some, missed badly on others, it's not easy to do this, though if you're going to do tape, at least they do it the smart way which I appreciate. 

What does the board think of Netane Muti? PFF as him around their 30th ranked player overall on the board. They LOVE him. He looks super violent/explosive, but comes with a major injury history. I think two Achilles and a Lis-Franc. 

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-under-the-radar-sleepers-prospects-2020

OG NETANE MUTI, FRESNO STATE

Muti has been tossing college defensive lineman around since the first day he stepped on a college football field back in 2017. That year, he allowed only 11 pressures and earned an 80.4 overall grade. Injuries have limited him to only 318 snaps since between left tackle and left guard, but on those he’s allowed only three pressures. Back in that 2017 season though, Muti ranked third among all guards in the nation with seven big-time run blocks. His highlight tape is reminiscent of former top-10 pick Quenton Nelson in its utter physical dominance.

3 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Me, too. Of the possession type receivers, he is one of my favorites.

3 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Like you, I've had a hard time falling hard for Shenault in the same way so many draft geeks seem to be infatuated with him but maybe I got to watch more.  Though I do get what they love about him with the ball in his hands -- he looks like a RB when it comes to bringing both physicality and speed.  End arounds, sweeps, hand offs.

I like Reagor more than you do.  He had better QB play the previous season.   Having said that the cool thing about this draft at WR is that I am not married to any receiver because its a buffet of riches so I am not going to scream for any guy, I just want one of them.

I might change my mind post combine.  But I'd say right now among the 3rd-4th round type of receivers by biggest man crushes would be Bryan Edwards, Tyler Johnson, Denzel Mims. Maybe Pittman but I want to see what he runs.

13 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I might change my mind post combine.  But I'd say right now among the 3rd-4th round type of receivers by biggest man crushes would be Bryan Edwards, Tyler Johnson, Denzel Mims. Maybe Pittman but I want to see what he runs.

I think we draftniks might be broadly undervaluing Tyler Johnson.  During the season, he was being talked about as a late first or second round value, before dropping into a late day two/early day three range on most big boards.  But I think we were more accurate in our perception of his value with those earlier takes.  I think the WR class has pretty clear tiers at the top:

1 - Lamb and Jeudy

2 - Higgins and Ruggs

And then I think Tyler Johnson has a strong argument with Justin Jefferson as the fifth best prospect in the class.  Regardless, I think they form a strong tier three.  I am certain that I would pick either of them ahead of Shenault and Aiyuk and Hamler, who are consistently being projected in a 25-60 range.  Raegor is projected in that range too, but I would not draft him until late on day three.  To me, it's not a controversial take to put Johnson ahead of Aiyuk, Hamler, and Shenault.  I think he's a head and shoulders better player than them and it's super apparent on the tape.  His route running and football IQ and aggression are so good and translatable, that he's gonna work out and be productive at the next level if he stays healthy.   You see a level of easy and consistent separation, from a variety of alignments, against a variety of coverage looks, that you don't see from any other prospect in the class.  Other players do certain things better than him--YAC running, Catching in traffic, jump ball winning, deep ball tracking, etc.  But Johnson is elite at the highly sustainable meat and potatoes stuff of the position.  The Adam Thielen and Doug Baldwin school of getting open via quickness, superior football instincts, aggressiveness, and fluid technique.

I think Johnson is a good value pick in the second and a major value pick at 66.  He's one of our best BPA candidates at that spot, if he's still on the board.  He and Biadasz are the two guys I want most at 66.  I think they'd be between +30 to +40 value in that range.

Brandon Aiyuk, I like him but my take on him is similar to Shenault in that I wonder if they deserve lofty status where they are propelled into that first tier group of receivers.  I don't see for example why Aiyuk is a late first rounder and Bryan Edwads (who I think is even more physical than Aiyuk) is a 3rd-4th round prospect with the disclaimer of lets see their speed first.   Aiyuk in the context of the other receivers in the draft hits me more as a third round type.  He has IMO potential but don't see him as a top tier guy.

Aiyuk is also another dude I wonder about his speed, hard to tell one way or another.  Looks to me 4.5ish.   He's one heck of a kick-punt returner.  He's a lot like his old teammate, N'Keal Harry, in terms of being a physical YAC type but he's not as good as Harry in terms of contested catches.  Harry is a bigger dude while Aiyuk I believe looks a little faster  I liked Harry but he's not off to a hot start in the NFL.   And I admit that adds to some of my skepticism here.  Decent run blocker.  Played X.  A lot of quick outs, quick ins.  Reminds me some of Pierre Garcon. 

39 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I think we draftniks might be broadly undervaluing Tyler Johnson.  During the season, he was being talked about as a late first or second round value, before dropping into a late day two/early day three range on most big boards.  But I think we were more accurate in our perception of his value with those earlier takes.  I think the WR class has pretty clear tiers at the top:

1 - Lamb and Jeudy

2 - Higgins and Ruggs

And then I think Tyler Johnson has a strong argument with Justin Jefferson as the fifth best prospect in the class.  Regardless, I think they form a strong tier three.  I am certain that I would pick either of them ahead of Shenault and Aiyuk and Hamler, who are consistently being projected in a 25-60 range.  Raegor is projected in that range too, but I would not draft him until late on day three.  To me, it's not a controversial take to put Johnson ahead of Aiyuk, Hamler, and Shenault.  I think he's a head and shoulders better player than them and it's super apparent on the tape.  His route running and football IQ and aggression are so good and translatable, that he's gonna work out and be productive at the next level if he stays healthy.   You see a level of easy and consistent separation, from a variety of alignments, against a variety of coverage looks, that you don't see from any other prospect in the class.  Other players do certain things better than him--YAC running, Catching in traffic, jump ball winning, deep ball tracking, etc.  But Johnson is elite at the highly sustainable meat and potatoes stuff of the position.  The Adam Thielen and Doug Baldwin school of getting open via quickness, superior football instincts, aggressiveness, and fluid technique.

I think Johnson is a good value pick in the second and a major value pick at 66.  He's one of our best BPA candidates at that spot, if he's still on the board.  He and Biadasz are the two guys I want most at 66.  I think they'd be between +30 to +40 value in that range.

Ironically I was just working on Aiyuk this morning.  On receivers it looks like I agree with you about everyone except Reagor.  I am not as high as many draft geek guys on Aiyuk, Hamler, Shenault though they all have potential so i am not out on them either.   I think Tyler Johnson is vastly underrated. 

Archived