Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

I keep watching Aiyuk expecting to be wowed by him, but I come away with the same impression every time I see him. Good receiver. Steady. Is capable of performing on a down to down basis. Good sized target. But nothing stand out. And that isn't necessarily a bad thing. I think this translates to the NFL as some role for sure. He just doesn't jump out to me. And the way everyone else talks about this guy I keep thinking I'm missing something.

Then I watch again and have the same impression.

Inspired by the HogsHaven mock that had the Bengals taking Chase at 1 and Skins trading with Oakland ... different take on that but here's my latest TDN 3 round Mock. I'll show the R1 and then Skins picks from there. I controlled the Bengals, Dolphins, Redskins and Lions to make sure the QBs/Trades lined up.

*These are fun to do, but I also understand they can clutter the draft thread. Wasn't there an off-season mock thread that we had last year to play around with mock draft simulators and off-season simulators? Maybe this would be a good place for that to be created.*

Couple of assumptions here re: QB

- Brady stays with Patriots

- Rivers signs with Buccanneers

- Winston signs with the Chargers

- Cam stays in Carolina

- Tannehill stays in Tennessee

- Bridgewater goes to the Bears

*Trade: Miami sends 2, 18 and 26 to Cincinnati for #1 overall

*Trade: Detroit sends 3 and 35 to Washington for #2 overall

1.1 - Dolphins - Joe Burrow, QB LSU

1.2 - Lions - Tua Tagolaivoa, QB Alabama

1.3 - Redskins - Chase Young, Edge Ohio State

1.4 - Giants - Jedrick Wills, OT Alabama

1.5 - Bengals - Justin Herbert, QB Oregon

1.6 - Chargers - Andrew Thomas, OT Georgia

1.7 - Panthers - Derrick Brown, DT Auburn

1.8 - Cardinals - Javon Kinlaw, DT South Carolina

1.9 - Jaguars - Jeff Okudah, CB Ohio State

1.10 - Browns - Mekhi Becton, OT Louisville

1.11 - Jets - Jerry Jeudy, WR Alabama

1.12 - Raider - Isaiah Simmons, LB Clemson

1.13 - Colts - CeeDee Lamb, WR Oklahoma

1.14 - Bucs - Neville Gallimore, DT Oklahoma

1.15 - Broncos - Tristan Wirfs, OT Iowa

1.16 - Falcons - K'Lavon Chaisson, Edge LSU

1.17 - Cowboys - Kristian Fulton, CB LSU

1.18 - Bengals - AJ Epenesa, Edge Iowa

1.19 - Raiders - CJ Henderson, CB Florida

1.20 - Jaguars - Xavier McKinney, FS Alabama

1.21 - Eagles - Patrick Queen, LB LSU

1.22 - Bills - Yetur Gross-Matos, Edge Penn State

1.23 - Patriots - Josh Jones, OT Houston

1.24 - Saints - Kenneth Murray, LB Oklahoma

1.25 - Vikings - Ross Blacklock, DT TCU

1.26 - Bengals - Laviska Shenault, WR Colorado

1.27 - Seahawks - Grant Delpit, S LSU

1.28 - Ravens - Jordyn Brooks, LB Texas Tech

1.29 - Titans - Terrell Lewis, Edge Alabama

1.30 - Packers - Henry Ruggs III, WR Alabama

1.31 - 49ers - Jeff Gladney, CB TCU

1.32 - Chiefs - Noah Igbinoghene, CB Auburn

2.35 - Redskins - Tee Higgins, WR Clemson

3.66 - Redskins - Amik Robertson, SCB Louisiana Tech

*Also of note, I would have mocked this differently had I controlled every team. I may do that next, but to get some depth into Round 3, where I lose the team-based knowledge a bit, I figured I would let the computer auto-pick for the teams I didn't control

I'm super interested to see what Tee Higgins 40 time will be in addition to guys like Bryan Edwards and Michael Pittman Jr. I still think his floor is the 2nd round though and he'll be out of our range. After checking out much of the field I agree with Steve that Tyler Johnson should go in the 2nd round. In some respects I like Tyler more than Justin Jefferson, but that might just be me adding more value to his plus traits, while under-valuing Justin's route running and dinging him for his play speed.

Aiyuk is decent and has a great wing-span for his size, but I have him below Mims for now in my rankings.  I think I'd rather have guys like Quintez Cephus, Isaish Hodgins, or Devin Duvernay in the late 4th or 5th, than use our 3rd on Aiyuk.

18 hours ago, The Consigliere said:

Some Major Misses from PFF last year w/regards to playmaking positions (that I liked as well, and/or hated):

E. Hall-89th. Double Ouch, though I liked him a day 3 value.

I heard he fell due to character issues.  That said, if you liked him as Day 3 value, then you'll love him as a Futures Contract.  E. Hall is on the Redskins roster.

34 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Couple of assumptions here re: QB

- Brady stays with Patriots

- Rivers signs with Buccanneers

- Winston signs with the Chargers

- Cam stays in Carolina

- Tannehill stays in Tennessee

- Bridgewater goes to the Bears

*Trade: Miami sends 2, 18 and 26 to Cincinnati for #1 overall

*Trade: Detroit sends 3 and 35 to Washington for #2 overall

1.1 - Dolphins - Joe Burrow, QB LSU

1.2 - Lions - Tua Tagolaivoa, QB Alabama

1.3 - Redskins - Chase Young, Edge Ohio State

Only way I do that trade is if Stafford is off the Lions.  I need some sort of clear show that they're taking a QB at #2 besides their word.

As a non-College Football watching Brit can say how much I enjoy this thread each year and to give a warm thank you to all of you on here that make it such an informative and fascinating read. The combination of personal opinion, research, game-tape and expert commentary makes it a can't miss. Cheers to you all :cheers:

I agree with the premise of the point below from Kiper, a ton of great receivers but I am with Ledyard as to being skeptical of that many going in the top 3 rounds.  I think the depth at the receiver position will feed some surprise drops as opposed to a rush to grab all of them early.  But i'd say with the buffet that exists at receiver this draft, I would be disappointed if they don't grab one and to a lessor extent ditto a corner.  The draft looks like one where you can get a receiver in the forth round that in a different year would go in the 2nd, etc. 

13 minutes ago, UK Skins said:

As a non-College Football watching Brit can say how much I enjoy this thread each year and to give a warm thank you to all of you on here that make it such an informative and fascinating read. The combination of personal opinion, research, game-tape and expert commentary makes it a can't miss. Cheers to you all :cheers:

These guys are damn good, aren't they!

13 minutes ago, KDawg said:

if Akeem is there in the third, I will fly to Vegas, steal the card and run it to the podium for the team. 

The 4th? I'll carry Snyder solo in a King's chair to the podium for it. 

I agree on this one hundred and ten percent.

I think he'll be there for us at pick 66 and if that's who we choose then so be it. But I could see going with WR, CB, or OT there depending on how things shake out in FA (or TE if we whiff on any impact signings).

Jeremy Chinn is intriguing too. I have had him penciled in with one of our 4th round picks in some mock drafts.

I agree that both are very similar defensive chess pieces. But we can't forget that we still have Josh Harvey-Clemons, who was drafted in that role and has shown promise. Couldn't hurt to have two chess pieces though.

47 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I agree with the premise of the point below from Kiper, a ton of great receivers but I am with Ledyard as to being skeptical of that many going in the top 3 rounds.  I think the depth at the receiver position will feed some surprise drops as opposed to a rush to grab all of them early.  But i'd say with the buffet that exists at receiver this draft, I would be disappointed if they don't grab one and to a lessor extent ditto a corner.  The draft looks like one where you can get a receiver in the forth round that in a different year would go in the 2nd, etc. 

That got me thinking.  So the WR's who went on Day 3 of the 2014 draft.  The best one was Martavis Bryant who fell due to character issues, and those same issues kicked him out of the league.  The next best one was...Ryan Grant.

So here's a list of best WR's taken on Day 3 from 2014-2017 (too early for 2018):

2015 - Jamison Crowder (fell due to being 5'8), Stefon Diggs (fell due to character concerns)

2016 - Tyreek Hill (fell due to beating up his pregnant girlfriend)

2017 - Dede Westbrook (fell due to Domestic Violence issues, and anger problems at the combine)

The most recent Day 3 WR I can find, that didn't fall due to character issues or being tiny, is Kenny Stills in 2013.

If we're thinking of taking a WR in the draft without character issues, odds are much better in Round 3.  Someone I think I like (as of right now) more than Tyler Johnson, is Denzel Mims.  He might be there at #66, if he is, it's going to be so hard to do anything but draft him.  If we're willing to roll the dice on character issues a bit, then it's (imo) Quintez Cephus on Day 3.

48 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think the depth at the receiver position will feed some surprise drops as opposed to a rush to grab all of them early. 

Increased supply = decreased demand.  It's going to cut the legs out from under the top guys in the class.  Jeudy and Lamb would probably be top five picks in a normal class, but I could see both getting picked outside the top ten this year.  This year's depth is such that you can get quality prospects even if there is a big WR run in the second and third.  And most teams won't double dip the position, because it's really hard to keep so many rookies unless you're completely barren at the position group like we were in 2019.

I think almost every team in the league is going to get a good WR prospect from this class, and good WRs will end up getting picked in the 6th and 7th this year.

51 minutes ago, KDawg said:

if Akeem is there in the third, I will fly to Vegas, steal the card and run it to the podium for the team. 

The 4th? I'll carry Snyder solo in a King's chair to the podium for it. 

Remember to lift with your legs.....

8 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

If we're thinking of taking a WR in the draft without character issues, odds are much better in Round 3.  Someone I think I like (as of right now) more than Tyler Johnson, is Denzel Mims.  He might be there at #66, if he is, it's going to be so hard to do anything but draft him.  If we're willing to roll the dice on character issues a bit, then it's (imo) Quintez Cephus on Day 3.

I've pumped up Mims quite a bit on this thread, love the feistiness he plays with, blocks with attitude.  He could be there in the third.  He strikes me as one of the guys where the combine elevates his status because I think he will time well.  Will see.

There are so many guys I like at WR, that I am dizzy even trying to recount them all.  But of the 2nd tier types some of them are:  Mims, B. Edwards, T. Johnson.     

I think the combine more so than the typical year will create some risers-fallers at that spot. 

15 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Increased supply = decreased demand.  It's going to cut the legs out from under the top guys in the class.  Jeudy and Lamb would probably be top five picks in a normal class, but I could see both getting picked outside the top ten this year.  This year's depth is such that you can get quality prospects even if there is a big WR run in the second and third.  And most teams won't double dip the position, because it's really hard to keep so many rookies unless you're completely barren at the position group like we were in 2019.

I think almost every team in the league is going to get a good WR prospect from this class, and good WRs will end up getting picked in the 6th and 7th this year.

Matt Miller essentially affirmed this on his Friday podcast. He said that this class is one of the deepest he's ever seen, and that because of the depth there are guys ranked in the 35-45 range that won't get drafted who usually would have. The average WRs drafted is somewhere around 35 each year. So yeah, there's very little chance that 25 go in the first 3 rounds.

Miller has also said recently in running his mock drafts that it's tough to predict where Jeudy will go, because he's cemented in his Top 5 players but he thinks teams will think twice about going WR in the Top 10 or 15 knowing they can get an impact WR in the 2nd and even 3rd round.

Kelvin Harmon was a player a lot had penciled in as a R3-R5 type that fell to R6 for us last year and he definitely flashed.

Obviously Scary Terry flashed big time and was a huge return on value for us. We knew we had to hit WR and hit it hard in the last draft and boy did we make out with McLauren, Harmon and Sims. I tihnk in another deep draft, barring getting someone like Diggs or Cooper, you get the best guy that falls to either pick 66 or your 4th.

Also, one guy that is NOT being hyped up lately is KJ Hill. If we go a different route in R3 and with the first pick in R4, he's a guy I consistently see being there in the 4th and 5th rounds. He's got that Ohio State connection, really showed up at the Senior Bowl, but the buzz has worn off (at least in the media) and he's a guy that could get pushed down by the exceptionally deep class ahead of him.

14 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Also, one guy that is NOT being hyped up lately is KJ Hill.

I hyped him

On 1/24/2020 at 12:27 AM, Malapropismic Depository said:

All he needs is one hand. He could probably play on his smart phone with the other hand, while catching this.

14 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Van Jefferson

Tyler Johnson

KJ Hill

Lynn Bowden

Bryan Edwards

Those are 4 WRs I am thinking/hoping we target in the 3rd or 4th round. One or more will fall, so we may get a steal in the 4th if we opt to go elsewhere in R3. They seem like very sound prospects that delivered in college. I know it's unlikely that we hit on a McLauren in back-to-back drafts but if there was a draft to hit on again it would be this one.

This is also why I am hoping beyond hope that Detroit falls in love with Tua and, if Burrow goes #1, we can work out a 2/3 swap that gets us their 3rd and 4th rounder. Both will be early round picks, and give us extra ammo to target WR 1 or even 2x in that 3rd-4th range without neglecting other areas like OT, LB, CB, and TE.

Here's an example of a double-dip if we were to manage a trade with Detroit. This would be the result of trading #2 to Detroit for #3, their 3rd and 5th (could argue this is a light package back to us but it was what FanSpeak let me do). Using Matt Miller's big board.

1.3: Chase Young, Edge Ohio State

3.2: Bryan Edwards, WR South Carolina

3.3: Damon Arnette, CB Ohio State

4.2: Akeem Davis-Gaither, LB App. State

4.38: Saadiq Charles, OT LSU

5.2: K.J. Hill, WR Ohio State

5.3: Colby Parkinson, TE Stanford

Could you imagine coming away from the draft with both Edwards and Hill and still draft impact-level guys like Gaither, and Arnette? Plus get depth/upside guys like Charles at OT and Parkinson at TE?

If we did land one of the remaining "big 3" Tight Ends in Free Agency (Hooper, Henry, Ebron) and brought back our OL-men and signed Bradberry/Boston this would be such an amazing draft.

Binjimin Victor.  7th rounder?  UFA?. He played HS about 20 minutes or so away from where I live.  Tall, lanky, I only found one game so mostly what I saw on him was highlights.  I included a cool play with him and Haskins.  He seems to have good hands.  Long strider -- tougher to gauge speed. I'd guess 4.6ish.  Crossers, hitches, occasionally goes deep.  Willing blocker.  Doesn't look especially physical for his size.  Played X in the one game I watched. 

https://www.12up.com/posts/ohio-state-wr-binjimen-victor-has-been-the-best-after-day-2-of-east-west-shrine-bowl-practice-01dykg7cba1a

Ohio State WR Binjimen Victor came into the week of practices at the East-West Shrine Bowl with a reputation as a speedy deep threat with a nose for the end zone. He has confirmed all of that buzz, and then some, after two days.

Victor was the most electric receiver at Tropicana Field on Tuesday, as the West receiver's highlight of the day was a terrific double move on an almost equally impressive corner, West Virginia's Keith Washington II, hauling in the long reception.

55 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Here's an example of a double-dip if we were to manage a trade with Detroit. This would be the result of trading #2 to Detroit for #3, their 3rd and 5th (could argue this is a light package back to us but it was what FanSpeak let me do). Using Matt Miller's big board.

1.3: Chase Young, Edge Ohio State

3.2: Bryan Edwards, WR South Carolina

3.3: Damon Arnette, CB Ohio State

4.2: Akeem Davis-Gaither, LB App. State

These are 4 of my favorite prospects, so I'd love this. Hill isn't one of my top favs but I like him especially where you got him in the 5th.

Archived