Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

8 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Just not a fan of Raegor.  The dynamic athleticism is top tier, but he's a soft player.  Doesn't run out his routes when he's a late read.  Poor effort as a blocker.  Alligator arms in the middle of the field.  NFL receiver is a crazy position to play and you have to be tough and hyper aggressive to be a good one.

I want a bullying and highly physical team like San Francisco, where everyone gets in on the act.  I don't want a guy in the locker room who isn't interested in giving effort when the ball isn't coming his way.  We don't need to sell out the culture for talent in a year with this many outstanding receiving prospects.  Give me Tyler Johnson all day every day over Raegor.  Give me Hodgins or Cephus or Edwards instead.  Competitors.

Switching gears, I'm having a hard time getting a good read on Proche.  Feels like he never gets open but always makes the catch.  His production is absolutely massive, and that means he's doing something right.  But I am having trouble visualizing his game translating to the NFL.

See I don't care a whit about any of that. Is he going to be productive or not? If he is. I want him. If he's not. I don't. Interviews can help with the rest. Honestly, intangibles can be important, but they aren't everything, especially when we're talking about 20 and 21 year olds. I'd love Deebo's mental make up, but if he wasn't incredibly productive, it wouldn't matter at all. If I can get both, I'll take it, if I can get productive that's what I want first. He's a great prospect with more room to grow. We'll see what happens. I don't expect us to get him anyway, he'll be off the board long long long before we have a chance to select him. And you probably know already that I don't really read much into the rest of it anyway. Distrustful of tape scouting. 

6 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Arizona's 2nd round pick could be a WR, TE, LB or corner for us, or a OL....i would do the deal. Just think if we hit on that pick? If we don't it only cost us 11 mil in a cap bloated year. 

The whole Arizona trade idea is such a no brainer Im astonished anyone would eschew it. It's free assets. We aren't competing for squat this year, it's like when the browns ate Osweiller's contract in exchange for a draft pick from Houston. Easy money. You take, you don't ask questions when a team is doing something that stupid. 

I would take almost anything from Arizona to take on David Johnson. One I love DJ And even though he’s tailed off I would think a rotation of DJ Guice and Love would be unreal. Cut AP and really this is a net $7 million cap hit and the talent is there. 

plus getting draft capital? It’s a no brainer to me. The CRds had an atrocious OL the last 3 years. DJ is not the same guy he was in 2016/2017 but man he’s got mad pass catching skills. He’d be a nice one year weapon to give some offensive juice. 

7 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I would take almost anything from Arizona to take on David Johnson. One I love DJ And even though he’s tailed off I would think a rotation of DJ Guice and Love would be unreal. Cut AP and really this is a net $7 million cap hit and the talent is there. 

plus getting draft capital? It’s a no brainer to me. The CRds had an atrocious OL the last 3 years. DJ is not the same guy he was in 2016/2017 but man he’s got mad pass catching skills. He’d be a nice one year weapon to give some offensive juice. 

Seems like he'd be a perfect fit in the RR/Turner offense too....like a McCaffrey. Done.

10 hours ago, skinny21 said:

@Skinsinparadise Probably my favorite thing about Davis - for his size, his ability to get off blocks is special.  His playmaking is awesome to watch, but the stacking and shedding pulls the other parts of his game together.  That’s what will allow him to play as a WLB rather than ‘just’ as a nickel or dimebacker.  It’s the difference from the traditional heavier safety moving to linebacker (albeit he’s not a safety of course, lol).  

He just looks like a complete linebacker to me - speed and fluidity to cover, excellent tackling, good rushing, and can sift through traffic and get off backs really damn well.  

Yeah he pops when you watch him.    Like I said similar size to Derwin James though James is more of a SS in his swiss army arsenal whereas Davis to me is more of a LB.   I figure he has the frame to put on another 10 pounds, I suspect he might do so for the combine because that would be I presume the hesitation some might have about him.  But to me like Isaiah Simmons and Patrick Queen the dude pops pretty quickly when you watch him as a dude who is a play maker with a nose for getting into the mix of the action -- very active player. 

46 minutes ago, volsmet said:

When they say, "Devonte Smith", do they mean, Devonta Smith? 

Also, am I the only one here that feels like 6-1 1/2 with 31 3/8 inch arms and 219 pounds is incredibly small for a LB? He's just not going to be a 3 down guy. Why not just play Landon Collins at that spot and call it a day? I'm not saying I wouldn't want him, but looking at his hype, he's going to be overdrafted. The 2nd/3rd is too early for a LB of that size. 

Gabriel Davis, someone I talked about a little during the season.  Just watched him more closely.  He's another player IMO who has potential IMO.  Don't love him.  I sort of like him.  Comes off to me like a 5th round type but a strong combine would propel him higher.  He's one of those players that I struggle to get a definitive read on one way or another,

He plays X, he plays oddly so far off the numbers at times that he almost hugs the sideline.  He looks to me more in the Tyler Johnson mode, of being a big guy, who can be a possession type but might have enough speed to be explosive, too.  

He looks to me like he runs about a 4.55 or so.  If he runs though a 4.6 or more his stock likely drops.  His stop and go and cutting ability is hard for me to gauge watching him.   By my naked eye, there are others who are more explosive than him.  So he doesn't come off that twitchy to me. 

He has some YAC ability and toughness with the ball in his hands but not like a Bryan Edwards.  He's a decent blocker.  Good hands but far from perfect (some drops) -- fairly smooth receiver.   I think I like Tyler Johnson and Pittman over him.  I mention those two because I think Gabriel is somewhat in that same flavor. 

Just now, Anselmheifer said:

When they say, "Devonte Smith", do they mean, Devonta Smith? 

Also, am I the only one here that feels like 6-1 1/2 with 31 3/8 inch arms and 219 pounds is incredibly small for a LB? He's just not going to be a 3 down guy. Why not just play Landon Collins at that spot and call it a day? I'm not saying I wouldn't want him, but looking at his hype, he's going to be overdrafted. The 2nd/3rd is too early for a LB of that size. 

Talking about Davis?  If he had prototypical size, he’d be a 1st rounder (or at least a borderline 1st) IMO.  If his size meant he couldn’t take on blocks, I wouldn’t be as high on him, but he’s proven otherwise.  

@Skinsinparadise Yeah, I liked Gabriel Davis, though he was one of the earliest receivers I watched.  I also see his game as very similar to Pittman, but a notch below - maybe not quite as fast/explosive/smooth.  Puts him in Harmon territory.  Some nuance to his route running, but nothing really stood out there.  Pretty solid player, but he lacks the key speed metrics for me to be high on him.

I see him as a depth player, though with the potential for decent #2 production (ala Harmon).  

35 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

you aren't the only one, it was in my narrative, it's obvious, he's a hybrid player, not a traditional Mike.    In the mode of a Derwin James size wise as I mentioned.  Collins could help on that front and play essentially nickel LB  but if he's the guy that we are using like that then we'd need another safety on the field or corner to fill in most of those times and if so whom?  A dude like Davis is a weapon in nickel in a similar way as Simmons would be (granted he's not as good) because he could do everything -- defend the run, go into coverage, rush the passer.   Lets say we got Collins playing nickel LB and we got Nicholson and Apke on the field -- Apke isn't some stud against the run or a threat to blitz to put fear in a QB, etc.  That's somewhat the charm of the hybrid types in that they can do everything pretty well.

I don't know why we'd think he'd be overdrafted?  No way to know.  As far as the mocks he looks right now like a 4th-5th rounder.  I am trying to dive into guys that aren't all first round types (so I am purposely trying to look at guys that I am guessing are within our reach) because I am presuming we take Young and we don't draft again until the third.  Patrick Queen for example looking at mocks right now looks out of our reach.  Davis could be within our reach.  And I read Del Rio loves the hybrid types.  Panthers had Shaq Thompson who is an inch and half shorter than Davis but 10 pounds heavier -- but like I said I'd bet Davis can add another 10 pounds.

https://247sports.com/nfl/carolina-panthers/Article/Shaq-Thompson-2019-Panthers-Thomas-Davis-succession-133893722/

Panthers head coach Ron Rivera pinpointed Thompson as a player of importance during the Spring, noting how he is capable of playing at both nickel and safety as well as at linebacker, 

I like Hunter Bryant a lot as a pass catcher and unlike Akridge below I do think there is a decent shot he falls to the 3rd but to me the dude is in the Engram-Jordan Reed realm -- good player but are we really going to continue the route of lining up with TE's who are one dimensional? 

I think Helaire is going to be a really good player but while I think RB is a sneaky need I don't think it is as big a need as TE, S, CB, LB and maybe even WR and there will be really good players at those need positions so am doubting we go RB in the early third.  I wonder if Helaire even falls past the 2nd. 

Watched some stuff on Van Jefferson finally.  His route running really is exceptional.  Love watching him vary his releases off the LOS.  He misses the analytics benchmarks - though who he played behind and then poor qb at Florida killed his chances to reach those - but I think he’ll transition really well given the route running.  Looking forward to seeing his speed numbers.  

Damon Arnette, the other corner from Ohio State.  Just watched him some.  He IMO is really good.  Early 2nd round kind of talent.  Another dude I'd love to see drop to the early third.

I was listening to Keim's podcast where they interviewed a Ohio state reporter who said they got a really good secondary coach last season and they credit him for elevating Okudah's game because previously he wasn't anything that special.

You can see some Okudah in Arnette's game so maybe that's via the coaching?  Like Okudah, Arnette is physical.  He can press and is a feisty tough out.    Plays the run with a similar attitude.  

He plays on the right side (from the perspective of the defense so he faced some of the better X receivers often).  Okudah is on the left.   He mirrors well, is fast, drapes himself on the receiver.  He gets beat on occasion but to my eyes he's a really good corner.  I'd take him in 2 seconds if he falls to the third. 

One of the clips in the mix shows him draped on top of the receiver, yet dislodges on that front and tackles a different receiver with the ball -- nothing special about that play but it typifies the way he plays in general.

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Damon Arnette, the other corner from Ohio State.  Just watched him some.  He IMO is really good.  Early 2nd round kind of talent.  Another dude I'd love to see drop to the early third.

I was listening to Keim's podcast where they interviewed a Ohio state reporter who said they got a really good secondary coach last season and they credit him for elevating Okudah's game because previously he wasn't anything that special.

You can see some Okudah in Arnette's game so maybe that's via the coaching?  Like Okudah, Arnette is physical.  He can press and is a feisty tough out.    Plays the run with a similar attitude.  

He plays on the right side (from the perspective of the defense so he faced some of the better X receivers often).  Okudah is on the left.   He mirrors well, is fast, drapes himself on the receiver.  He gets beat on occasion but to my eyes he's a really good corner.  I'd take him in 2 seconds if he falls to the third. 

One of the clips in the mix shows him draped on top of the receiver, yet dislodges on that front and tackles a different receiver with the ball -- nothing special about that play but it typifies the way he plays in general.

Honestly, if we're going Ohio CB and can't get Okudah, i'd rather just waste until next year and pick Shaun Wade. That dude is NASTY

20 hours ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

6/7 round??

Heck, I'd take him over every back we have on our roster.

But that's just me....🤔

I don't know about that. But I would like a running back upgrade. We have two giant question marks and an aging vet at the spot now. I would love CE-H, but we won't be in position to get him. Booger, Jr., is a solid player. Especially if available that late. 

Trevon Diggs, good player.  I think I'd take Arnette over him though by a hair.  Though I read Arnette has character issues so maybe that propels Diggs higher.   I rewatched their game against LSU in the mix, it doubled down for me why I think Helaire-Edwards is going to be a star, what a performance.

As for Diggs facing Chase which he did for some of that game.  Chase > Diggs.  But I'll give Diggs that Chase is simply a great receiver.  Chase beat him a number of times but Diggs typically was right on top of him for most of his route.  Diggs was really grabby with Chase and in the NFL he'd get some PI calls that weren't called.  Overall, I wouldn't call is that much of a close fight -- Chase to me distinctly won that battle. 

In the South Carolina game he didn't go head to head much with my guy Bryan Edwards but one time when he did Edwards broke loose for a potential long TD but was overthrown, I put that clip here.

Diggs plays on the left side, so mostly faces the opponent's Z receiver.  He played slot on a couple of plays.  He's fast and physical, long arms.  They blitzed him on one play and he almost got to the QB.   He's very physical against the run -- probably Saban's coaching.  I saw some draft geeks question his tackling because he does get blown up on some plays but for me relatively speaking for a corner I think he tackles well.   He plays press, off coverage, man, zone -- has both physicality and speed to his game, do it all type.

Article from today from the Athletic and a couple of past ones, too.  If you are looking for WR, TE, or CB -- perfect draft.  Looks like I am not wasting my time delving into those positions, looks like its on their radar.  

TE is probably the weirdest position IMO in this draft.  There are no top heavy obvious stars IMO but a lot of good (not great players) players with similar ability with potential.  WR to me looks insanely deep.  CB potentially, too -- I've just started to dive into CB. 

Screen Shot 2020-02-17 at 8.35.59 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-02-17 at 8.37.20 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-02-17 at 8.37.56 AM.png

Archived