Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

25 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Don't see it. I truly feel Detroit is doing it to trade out of 3. They want Okudah and Giants nor Miami will draft him. Detroit can either stay at 3 and grab him if there's nothing viable in terms of a trade or they can swap with Miami and still grab him while probably grabbing one of Miami's other first rounders. Miami still ends up with 2 firsts as does Detroit. Both get the player they need. 

that sounds logical....the one big BUT is that Miami would need to be certain we are taking Chase Young and not trading out of #2....

1 hour ago, OVCChairman said:

And i've been beating the drum about Det moving on from Stafford... but my tin foil hat just got put on my head and WHAT IF Detroit is only doing this to push Miami to move to 2, so that Young falls to 3.  They get Young and they dont even have to trade up!!?!  

I think Detroit would be absolutely ecstatic if we were stupid enough to trade out of #2 and Chase Young fell to them. I think their biggest problem is their awful pass rush, or lack thereof. Their secondary is not terrible, but they just can't get to the QB and that's an absolute killer to pass coverage. If we traded out of #2 Detroit would sprint up to the stage with Chase Young's name on that card faster than you could say "LOL The Skins DID WHAT?"

7 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I think Detroit would be absolutely ecstatic if we were stupid enough to trade out of #2 and Chase Young fell to them. I think their biggest problem is their awful pass rush, or lack thereof. Their secondary is not terrible, but they just can't get to the QB and that's an absolute killer to pass coverage. If we traded out of #2 Detroit would sprint up to the stage with Chase Young's name on that card faster than you could say "LOL The Skins DID WHAT?"

No question about it, unless we gave them the majority of what we got from Miami to move up to 3. We get Young, they get Okudah or Simmons and Miami gets Tua....three team trade in essence. 

2 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

No question about it, unless we gave them the majority of what we got from Miami to move up to 3. We get Young, they get Okudah or Simmons and Miami gets Tua....three team trade in essence. 

In theory that's not a bad idea, but in practice those kinds of crazy back and forth trades just don't really happen for the most part. The only way would be if we worked out the 3 way trade in advance, but I'm still dubious about the whole thing.

Besides, there's no way the Lions would move out of 3 if they had Chase Young sitting there for them. Like, almost zero chance. We'd have to give up the farm...probably have to give up at least everything that Miami gave us to move up to 2; so that trade would basically have been pointless. Even then Detroit may not do it. They probably wouldn't even take calls. 

I don't want to get cute. We have a shot at a potential generational player at the second most important position in football. Just sit at 2 and take Chase and then kick back and wait till round 3 starts. This class is super deep at several positions so there will still be some 1st-2nd round talent there at the top of the 3rd. 

2 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

As I study the tackles in this class, I'm becoming more and more enraged that Bruce - in all his infinite wisdom - turned down Cleveland's 1st round offer for Trent.

Bruce was a petty moron.  I mentioned this in another thread but Mike Jones got straight from the horses mouth, Kyle Shanny, that SF was willing to give up their first round pick, the 2nd pick in that draft, but Bruce refused to deal with him because he didn't like him.  So just for spite reasons we ended up with a third round comp pick.  

41 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Bruce was a petty moron.  I mentioned this in another thread but Mike Jones got straight from the horses mouth, Kyle Shanny, that SF was willing to give up their first round pick, the 2nd pick in that draft, but Bruce refused to deal with him because he didn't like him.  So just for spite reasons we ended up with a third round comp pick.  

Yeah, that’s what Kyle said and I believe him to some extent.  However I also believe he would say that in hindsight even if it weren’t true to make Bruce look like a fool. They might have gotten there. Maybe.  They also might have asked for something in addition to Kirk back for the pick.  We don’t know.  

Would they have given up #2 for Kirk? Maybe.  Did they really want him? Yes.  Is Bruce a moron? Absolutely.  

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

That is not just a fireable offense, but an offense demanding summary execution.  Dan Snyder kept that incompetent piece of crap employed for two freaking seasons after this.  Being an NFL GM is the most coveted and prestigious job in American sports.  Bruce defiled the job and this franchise.

We should have DeShaun Watson right now.  Haskins is going to have to lead us to a Super Bowl win for me to truly get over this.

1. Adam Trautman, Dayton (6-foot-5, 251 pounds, 4.76 40-yard dash)

Trautman is a fluid big man, and his basketball background shows at the catch point with his ability to adjust and attack. His routes need fine-tuning and his blocking is based more on effort than technical understanding right now, although he doesn’t lack in intensity or effort in either category. Overall, Trautman doesn’t have the body of work versus top-level competition, but his athleticism and pass-catching traits for a player his size make him a highly intriguing prospect, projecting as a player who should crack the starting lineup as an NFL rookie.

All-22 takeaway: Trautman’s route athleticism is a key reason for his TE1 status entering the combine. Lined up inline at the top of the formation against Indiana State, he uses a quick release to enter his route and a clean stick at the stem to give his quarterback an open target. His impressive body control not only shows mid-pattern but also at the catch point, reaching behind him to finish with the ball thrown at the wrong shoulder. Trautman needs to tighten up his route movements, but the functional athleticism is what will entice NFL teams early on Day 2.

2. Cole Kmet, Notre Dame (6-6, 255, 4.69)

Kmet is an easy player to like on and off the field, with outstanding ball skills and body control to dominate the catch point. While he must continue learning the details of route-running and blocking, he has never played only one sport, so year-round dedication to football will certainly accelerate his development. Overall, Kmet is a dependable and physically impressive pass-catcher who doesn’t have a deal-breaking weakness to his game, projecting as an NFL-ready “Y” target similar to Jason Witten when he was coming out of Tennessee.

3. Harrison Bryant, Florida Atlantic (6-5, 242, 4.77)

Bryant is an athletic receiver with the agility and ball skills to be productive in the quick game (slants, hooks, etc.) or down the seam. He is an efficient, try-hard competitor as a move blocker but doesn’t have the power to face off against NFL defensive linemen on the edge. Overall, Bryant doesn’t have ideal bulk or power for the position, but he is a versatile pass-catcher with the savvy routes and adjustment skills to handle “F” tight end duties in an NFL offense.

4. Hunter Bryant, Washington (6-2, 244, 4.63)

With his speed and run balance, Bryant is a dynamic threat before and after the catch, making it tough for single tacklers to ground him in space. While he shows athletic ball skills, he is a low-percentage finisher with crowded catch points. As a blocker, he struggles to sustain and shouldn’t be expected to handle inline duties. Overall, Bryant is a low-ceiling blocker and could use a few more credits in receiving school, but his plus athletic traits as a pass-catcher make him a potential mismatch “move” tight end if the medicals are clean.

5. Albert Okwuegbunam, Missouri (6-4, 264, 4.76)

Okwuegbunam plays loose but lacks urgency and won’t surprise NFL defenders with his lackluster burst at the top of routes. While he stays balanced as a blocker, he needs to utilize better techniques to tap into his power and generate movement in the run game. Overall, Okwuegbunam leaves you wanting more on tape, but he has a projectable body with the talent to win his share of one-on-one’s and get the job done as a point-of-attack blocker.

6. Devin Asiasi, UCLA (6-4, 256, 4.76)

There isn’t much deception or diversity to his route tree (mostly digs, outs, posts on tape), but Asiasi moves well and presents a window for his quarterback. Although he isn’t shy banging as a blocker, he needs to be more of an aggressor in the run game. Overall, Asiasi doesn’t have the traits that scream playmaker, but he is well rounded with the steady ball skills and blocking chops to earn a roster spot and fight his way up the depth chart.

7. Colby Parkinson, Stanford (6-6, 244, 4.74)

A “freak of an athlete” according to Shaw, Parkinson has the route speed to win down the seam and the focus to isolate and pluck the football away from his body. He is a fluid pass-catcher with soft hands, but those soft hands also show up in his blocking, lacking the sustain strength for steady inline work. Overall, Parkinson is a predictable route-runner and mediocre blocker, but his speed, length and ball skills are desirable traits, projecting as an athletic possession target in the slot.

8. Jared Pinkney, Vanderbilt (6-4, 254, 4.78)

Pinkney displays good balance and body control for the position to work over the linebackers and create small windows of separation. However, he struggles to set up defensive backs and needs to be more aggressive in his routes and as a blocker to earn consistent snaps in the NFL. Overall, Pinkney has limitations in his blocking and doesn’t have explosive traits as a pass-catcher, but he is a smooth athlete with reliable ball skills to be a capable three-level target in the NFL, projecting as a borderline starter.

9. Brycen Hopkins, Purdue (6-4, 241, 4.80)

Hopkins has the size and speed of an oversized receiver, showing fluid cuts and enough juice to run past safeties. However, his awareness and finishing skills are still a work in progress at the position with a limited ceiling as a blocker. Overall, Hopkins doesn’t have the body power required for inline work, and he is still learning the details of route-running, but his foot speed and upside are worth the gamble in the middle rounds as an “F” tight end.

10. Thaddeus Moss, LSU (6-3, 248, 4.75)

Moss displays athletic movement skills to stay smooth in and out of the drive phase, fluidly adjusting to throws. As a blocker, he is physical and works hard to sustain or throw a shoulder, but he is more likely to end up on the ground than put a defender on the ground. Overall, Moss is a get-in-the-way blocker with the athletic catch-point skills to be a steady short-to-intermediate target in the NFL, but his average speed and limitations should temper expectations.

The closer the draft comes, the more I'm thinking about Tua. His injury concerns are a huge red flag, and should be for all of us after RG3, but a healthy Tua is a special player, a franchise QB. He's going to impress the hell out of teams once they watch him in throwing drills. 

I really hope this team does a legitimate thorough eval on him. If we think he's going to be better than Dwayne, don't we have to take him? 

I didn't realize that Kyle Dugger played 6 years of college ball. He's already 23. 

I hope that we fill most of our holes in FA and are free to go BPA, BPA, BPA in the draft. 

Has anyone heard what got Brandon Aiyuk flagged for medical reasons at the Senior Bowl? I wonder if it might drop him in a receiver rich draft. Also, I'm starting to think that the draft is starting to line up so that Jalen Reagor may be our selection in the 3rd. I'm almost rooting for it, just to see how McQueen reacts. 

I'm pretty confident that we'll trade down from either our #3 pick or our early #4 pick to get more picks.  Right now, we have:

1st

3rd

4th

4th (comp pick for Crowder)

5th

7th

7th (Denver)

Past trades that could reflect what we could get from trading down from our 3rd or 4th rounders:

3rd rounder:

1)  Seattle traded down 14 spots and got a 4th rounder

4th rounder:

1)  We traded down 20 spots last year for an extra 4th

2)  SF traded down 6 spots and got 2 6th rounders

3)  NYJ traded down 11 spots and got a 5th rounder

37 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

I'm pretty confident that we'll trade down from either our #3 pick or our early #4 pick to get more picks.  Right now, we have:

1st

3rd

4th

4th (comp pick for Crowder)

5th

7th

7th (Denver)

Past trades that could reflect what we could get from trading down from our 3rd or 4th rounders:

3rd rounder:

1)  Seattle traded down 14 spots and got a 4th rounder

4th rounder:

1)  We traded down 20 spots last year for an extra 4th

2)  SF traded down 6 spots and got 2 6th rounders

3)  NYJ traded down 11 spots and got a 5th rounder

Personally, I wouldn’t trade down to get anything less than a 4th, and I’d want that 4th to be in the first half of the round.  

The hit rate of prospects is not a straight line, it’s a curve, and it accelerates between rounds 4 and 5.  

You should expect 4th rounders to make the team, be immediate backups and ST contributors.  They should be on the tram for several years, and ideally develop into contributors. 

5th and down, the odds are less the player sticks around and you’re hoping for ST contributor at that point and developing into a backup. 

6th and down are all crap shoots.  

The skins need starters and guys who can develop into starters.  They need depth also, but I wouldn’t sacrifice the chance at getting 1 starter for 2 backups if that makes sense. 

On that wacky Jimmy Johnson draft chart, I think the value of the entire 7th round is not as much as the first overall pick.  I think I read that... 

Just now, HTTRDynasty said:

I guess it’s not worth it if you’re all in for a SB run this year. 

I'm not all in for a SB run this year, but I'd rather have a couple decent 26-27 year old FAs then a 2nd round pick and a RB that has that kind of money locked up for still a few more years. Johnson's cap hit is $14 Mil this year and $12 Mil next year. That's $26 Mil over two years down the drain. You think that's worth one 2nd round pick when chances are that pick is Sua Cravens or Jeremy Jarmon?

Archived