Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

2 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Holy crap.  Never expected that in a million years.  Trying to get Chase Young?

Trubisky would make a nice TE.

2 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

I doubt it. It has to be for Tua, right? I’m sure they are regretting giving up two first and a 100 million dollar contract without having a QB in place and now realize they don’t have the assets to get one. 

The Redskins should laugh this off. I’d rather have Chase Young on a rookie contract than Khalil Mack on his contract. And it’s not even close. 

Trubisky & Glennon didn’t work out? That surprises me. More GMs would find peace of mind if they stopped trying to figure out QBs & just paid Matt Moore 11 dollars.

47 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

They basically use him like an extra defensive tackle.  Very unusual role for a modern linebacker.  It's kind of a narrow skill set that I don't think will translate well to the NFL.

I only watched a couple games, but in those he looks like he’s playing a pretty traditional ILB role... am I missing something?  Looks like a 2 down backer to me - a thumper.  He’s not lost in coverage, but not fast, or twitchy enough to do it well.  Attacks the line well though, is tenacious, good at hard hitting, wrap up tackling and has strong hands to latch onto ball carriers and get blockers off or him.  Gets through the trash pretty well for what he is, which I think comes down mostly good vision?  It’s the feistyness that really stood out to me - plays with an attitude.  Only gets you so far though...

Low ceiling because of his lack of athleticism for the position, and he may not be fast enough for ST (though he has the smarts, tackling ability, mindset and can get off blocks).  

Davion fassss

5 hours ago, skinny21 said:

Low ceiling because of his lack of athleticism for the position, and he may not be fast enough for ST (though he has the smarts, tackling ability, mindset and can get off blocks).  

But

5 hours ago, skinny21 said:

I only watched a couple games, but in those he looks like he’s playing a pretty traditional ILB role... am I missing something?  Looks like a 2 down backer to me - a thumper.  

On pass downs he's a traditional ILB, dropping into curl zones every time.  Very limited stuff.  But on run and read option downs, look at how often he scrapes and run bitzes.  He plays a kind of spill role that differs from a traditional chase and hit or force role you usually see with stud linebackers.  His fits are really aggressive.  My guess is his coach wanted him to be going forwards as much as possible.  It feels to me like he's something from an early aughts 3-4 where the ILB role was almost like you were a small stand up three technique.

2 minutes ago, volsmet said:

This all reminds me, I once thought Scooby Wright was going to be a good nfl football player. 

I liked him too!  I had doubts about his ability to translate what he did so well at Arizona to the NFL, but I thought he had the heart to find a way in the NFL.

Will Sutton was another player who I was sure was going to be a beast in the NFL.  I loved him.  Over the years I've stopped betting heavily on guys who don't have NFL bodies.  Some of them make it big time, but many more of them don't.  Seems really basic to analyze people that way, but it's one of the first steps in the process.  What can you really do if you just don't have the body for a league of physical elites like the NFL?

It's why I'm hesitant to jump on the Curtis Weaver bandwagon.  I don't think he has an NFL body.  NFL edge rushers are basically comic book characters, it is a really really unforgiving position for guys who fall outside of the physical prototype range of like 6'3+ and 250+ and cut and capable of running 4.7 and below.

I see that tweet speculating that Weaver is a 3rd or 4th round value, but to me he's like a 7th round pick.  You get him for special teams and a narrow role in your run packages.  He's a classic brilliant college player who doesn't have the athleticism to translate most of what he does to the NFL.

@volsmet yeah, great point about Wright.  And no, I don’t want Weaver to see going against a quick back (I like Hasty a lot BTW) or in man against... probably anyone, lol.  Interesting note about ST there.  
Haven’t watched Taylor, but speed reigns supreme in this day and age.  You can at least teach a speed guy to use his hands better, etc.  

@stevemcqueen1 Weaver should be a late round pick, 3rd/4th is way too early with those speed limitations.  If you can protect him though, I like him as a 2 down guy.  

4 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I liked him too!  I had doubts about his ability to translate what he did so well at Arizona to the NFL, but I thought he had the heart to find a way in the NFL.

Will Sutton was another player who I was sure was going to be a beast in the NFL.  I loved him.  Over the years I've stopped betting heavily on guys who don't have NFL bodies.  Some of them make it big time, but many more of them don't.  Seems really basic to analyze people that way, but it's one of the first steps in the process.  What can you really do if you just don't have the body for a league of physical elites like the NFL?

It's why I'm hesitant to jump on the Curtis Weaver bandwagon.  I don't think he has an NFL body.  NFL edge rushers are basically comic book characters, it is a really really unforgiving position for guys who fall outside of the physical prototype range of like 6'3+ and 250+ and cut and capable of running 4.7 and below.

I see that tweet speculating that Weaver is a 3rd or 4th round value, but to me he's like a 7th round pick.  You get him for special teams and a narrow role in your run packages.  He's a classic brilliant college player who doesn't have the athleticism to translate most of what he does to the NFL.

Weaver has the body of a spry 54 year old competitive eating runner up with gout. 

NFL.com's profile on Davion Taylor mentioned he only started playing football in college.  Emphasizes that he's inexperienced, and late to understand what's going on because of that.  Seems like the type of prospect who really needs good coaching.

Watching his game against Oregon, and I know Oregon is a tough one for anybody with how their offense operates and how defenses change to play them, but it shows a lot of weak areas to his game.  With Oregon's spacing, Colorado almost never put Taylor as a stack linebacker.  Sometimes Nickel, sometimes an "Edge" guy but lined up 3 yards off the line and 5-7 yards away from the formation.

His speed is evident on some plays, but not as often as you'd like.  I think that's mostly from uncertainty.  When he knows what's happening you see the speed, so catching a ballcarrier from behind is obvious and the speed comes out.  But usually, he doesn't know what's happening, and the speed is not evident.  He's pretty late reacting to things as he's new to the game.  Does that get better?  Who knows.

He's super raw from a technical standpoint and a "why you do this" standpoint.  He can get caught up with trying to make sure the blocker in space moving laterally doesn't get outside of him, so he runs up and gives him a hard shove to the chest first...but none of that was necessary as the ballcarrier was moving well inside of the blocker.  He's got a bit of tunnel vision where he thinks "Ok, this is who I should be focusing on" and then doesn't see the whole field.

I'm not positive about his hips and lateral movement as being plus categories.  There are times he seems average flipping his hips around in coverage.  I'm not sure if that's because he can't flip faster, or if he just hasn't trained/practiced that area up, or if he's reading slow and flipping too late.  There are times in coverage where he was beat on a route, and I don't think he should have been.

TL;DR I think he's a really raw, inexperienced track guy playing football.  I think it's going to take awhile for him to learn and develop more.  I think he should be drafted as an ST guy only right now, and maybe in 2-3 years he figures out enough normal football stuff to work his way onto the field.  Odds are he's ST only.  If he's got stellar intangibles, showed out on the Senior Bowl practices/sideline and looked to soak in info from NFL staff and worked towards applying it, then that changes.  But we don't have info to any of that stuff.

Because of that, I'm saying Round 6 or later.  Odds of him developing into a Will LB are low, I think we can find more likely contributors in Year 1 or 2 of their careers in Round 4 or 5 than him.  If our team had better depth everywhere, then yeah, spend a higher pick on him because we can afford to take more risky shots.

Keep an eye on Safety Kenny Robinson of the XFL St. Louis BattleHawks. He’s in this years draft and can play. Went to WVU, was academically ineligible so he decided to put his film on XFL reels. 

I haven’t seen a lot of him but he’s a thumper and he seemed to be around the ball a lot yesterday. Gonna have to dig up college stuff on him and see what he’s about.

1 hour ago, PartyPosse said:

How far is Biadesz expected to fall? I know he was touted highly but then injuries and a subpar senior season seems to have dropped him.

I think TDN has him as a mid-4th.  NFL.com draft grade has him as early Day 3 (I think I read their grading scale right).  We should have two 4th rounders, I think we'll have a fair shot at him, if we want to add him as depth.

Our starting C, Roullier's deal ends after next season in 2020.

Our backup C, Pierschbacher, is with us until 2022 but is an unknown, and who knows what Rivera & Co. think of him.

I think both of those two are thought of as Center's only.  I think Biadesz is also kind of thought that way?  Haven't looked at any of his film.  If we did draft a 3rd center, he'd need to be a backup Guard as well in order to make the roster right?  Or we'd be cutting Pierschbacher I suppose.

Archived