Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

2 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

I think both of those two are thought of as Center's only.  I think Biadesz is also kind of thought that way?  Haven't looked at any of his film.  If we did draft a 3rd center, he'd need to be a backup Guard as well in order to make the roster right?  Or we'd be cutting Pierschbacher I suppose. 

Biadasz is my guy.  Getting him in the fourth round would be the steal of the draft.  He's a good starter at the NFL level with Pro-bowl upside, not a depth player.  I think he could beat out Roullier year one in an open competition but it's far more likely one of them would start at left guard.  Probably Biadasz since he has more of a traditional guard skill set than Roullier, but Roullier has played guard for us before.  I think Biadasz could play a dominant guard, but I like him best as a center for the rare run-blocking quality he'd bring to the position.  He's the PoA blocker who gets to dig out nose tackles on a ton of their runs.  He's such a good run blocker and burly, war-like center that he really expands how you can draw up your guard and tackle blocks because can trust him to get that A gap blocked for you.  I love him next to a true stud athlete like Scherff because we could feel really confident about letting Scherff move with a bulldozer like Biadasz at OC.  Our run game would be so awesome on that side of the field, especially if we find a tight end too.

I would--without hesitation--pick Biadasz at 66 and consider myself fortunate to have gotten at least a round of value from the pick.  Biadasz is definitely a top 40 player in the class IMO.

I watched a little Gladney.  Played outside.  He's a feisty, tough corner and fast.  He also blitzes, looks tough against the run.  He mirrors well.  He's a twitchy athlete.  He played some against Ceede Lamb in one of the two games I watched, he did OK against him, Lamb though did a nice double move on him which would have resulted in a long TD but Hurts didn't see it.  I get the no Big 12 CB rule here.  😀  But this dude seems to have some talent. 

CB was a top need regardless. Now it’s probably the top need, unless Trent refuses to play again this year. If that happens, I’d still be against it, but it’s likely we’ll trade back from #2 and recoup some extra picks.  We’d probably end up picking Okudah or one of the top OTs at 5 and taking OT/CB with the next 1st round pick. 

14 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

CB was a top need regardless. Now it’s probably the top need, unless Trent refuses to play again this year. If that happens, I’d still be against it, but it’s likely we’ll trade back from #2 and recoup some extra picks.  We’d probably end up picking Okudah or one of the top OTs at 5 and taking OT/CB with the next 1st round pick. 

It’s not likely. You are fooling yourself into thinking we are trading out of Young. Expect a late pick on DBs and a FA pickup. 

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

If we get Chase Young, Biadasz, and one of these dank receivers, that is an awesome draft class.  If we get more than that?  Coming on the heels of bit time 2019 draft class, that is the foundation for a real contender.

Young, Biadasz, and maybe a guy like Igbinoghene or Reggie Robinson out of Tulsa would be a great draft. 

I would rather try and target Olsen/Henry and AJ Green in FA rather than go high in this draft at the WR/TE positions. 

QB: Haskins

RB: Guice/Love/Peterson

TE: Olsen or Henry/Sprinkle/Draft pick

WR: McLaruin/Green/Sims/Harmon

i really like that lineup. 

14 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

It’s not likely. You are fooling yourself into thinking we are trading out of Young. Expect a late pick on DBs and a FA pickup. 

If we go into the year without a legitimate option at LT and a future hole at outside CB, on top of all our other needs, I can’t see us not strongly considering a trade down if we get a great offer. 

30 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

With the news of Dunbar wanting out, how important is that a position of need now for the draft? Rank these in terms of importance for our third round pick

OL (Mostly interior)

CB

TE

I saw the report about OTAs... did he also say he wants out?

It definitely depends on re-signs, whether Trent returns, and what we pick up in FA.  

If Trent, Scherff and Flowers all sign/play, I’d put corner #1, TE #2, SAM backer #3... and then corner again. 

At this moment though, I have G #1 and again at #3 or #4... but that’s because I’m assuming Trent returns with all of the changes.  If he doesn’t, that’s our top priority IMO.  

Just watched some Jalen Reagor. If I recall @stevemcqueen1 isn't enamored with him?  If I recall the discussion it was about him not selling his routes when he isn't getting the ball, run blocking, and character issues.  I get those angles.  I don't know though on the character stuff but haven't delved that deep.  And agree that he can get lazy selling when he doesn't get the ball.  His run blocking is below average.  Not as bad as Desean Jackson on that front.  But he doesn't really lock into his blocks but seems more to just push the dude ahead of him for a second and then lets go.  But on occasion, he does it well.

But as a receiver to me this dude is who I wish Hamler was.  And I get most mock draft types slightly prefer Hamler over Reagor but not me I am the opposite.    Reagor isn't very physical but he's more physical than Hamler.  Reagor could at least hold his own on that front.  It's tough to tell if Reagor can beat press coverage since they seem to play off-coverage a lot against him.   But he brings at least a degree of feistiness and physicality to his play.   Another weakness besides what i mentioned is concentration drops. 

He has some serious double moves, stop and go ability, is shifty, is fast, can really cut in the open field.  He's both a YAC guy and a deep threat.  He can cut across the middle and take a hit.  He is a deep threat and has both good hands and tracking ability.  He played mostly Z.  Very dynamic. 

I don't see him as a first rounder, he's not complete enough receiver IMO.  But in the 2nd I think he's good value, and I'd take him over Hamler.  If he plays in somewhat of a spread system with a really good QB, he might put up some big numbers.   I even included a clip of him catching a ball in front of the mighty Okudah. 

Not sure if the Dunbar thing starts a process of player turnover with RR and company. I’m going to be curious to see how this plays out. Cap hit in parentheses. 

Dunbar ($4m) - could net a 3rd. Some saying 2nd but that’s seems unlikely. 

Trent ($12m) - should net a 2 maybe more. 

Kerrigan ($12m) - could get you a 4th or 5th from a contender 

if you choose to wipe clean from guys who are on the final year of their deals you could go into the off-season/FA cycle with $86 million in cap space and 1/2/3/3/4/4/5/5 to address major holes at LT, CB1, EDGE, CB2, TE, LB, LG, RG, WR2 

LT - likely your 2nd from Trent + maybe a veteran stopfap

CB1 - likely Bradberry in FA

CB2 - likely Denard / Worley type in FA to compete with 3rd round rookie

Edge - Chase at 2

TE - Olsen + 3/4 round rookie

LG - in this case probably Flowers

RG - Scherff re-sign 

WR2 - Funchess type + round 3/4 WR

LB - Splashy FA and/or mid round pick

Plenty of potential money and picks to make things work. Assuming we opt for trading these expensive vets on final year of deals

The value of the #2 pick just skyrocketed since Tua's CT is extremely positive. I think Miami and San Diego are about to get into a bidding war for the pick, and it's got to be one hell of an offer to pass on the best DE AND QB prospect we may have ever had the chance to draft. For San Diego, I want their next 3 1st round picks and this years 2nd. 2 to 7 in this draft is a big talent drop, 5 is really as low as i'd want to go because we could still get Okudah or Simmons. From Miami, I'd want 5, 18, 26. 

Spoiler

**** em

@volsmet Weird, Moreau is also on the lowest completion percentage allowed list I saw on this board earlier today. So either he shuts them down or he gets burned?

Would you agree with the statement?➡️  Analytics in Football still has a ways to go in comparison to the seemingly pinpoint clarity the Baseball and Basketball Quants have developed.  Curious how you and everyone else views it. Feel free to address..

1 hour ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

Would you agree with the statement?➡️  Analytics in Football still has a ways to go in comparison to the seemingly pinpoint clarity the Baseball and Basketball Quants have developed.  Curious how you and everyone else views it. Feel free to address..

Baseball analytics/advanced metrics are pretty good.  You can isolate most of the relevant action of a play in baseball by following the ball, counting all of the stats that happen to the ball on the play, and then deriving analysis from those counted stats.  In baseball, action that happens away from the ball has relatively little effect on the outcome of plays.

Basketball analytics/advanced metrics capture less than half of the relevant information that's happening on the court.   TONS of relevant information demonstrating quality of play happens away from the ball and isn't measured in box score/counted stats.  But there is also a lot of other data out there that gets analyzed by teams that isn't available to the public.

Football analytics are garbage and counted stats capture only a tiny slice of the relevant information and context necessary for evaluating play.  They're always going to be garbage, football is not a counting stat game at all.  The only way to do a good and thorough evaluation of quality of play is for experts to watch, chart, and grade snaps for each player.  It's pain-staking work and there is no shortcut to doing it.  That's why we put so much faith in the word of outfits like PFF who are actually doing that work.  We're trusting their expertise, which isn't always wise, as sometimes they fail to properly evaluate/contextualize quality of play.  But at least they're doing the work of evaluating snaps and quantifying the quality of them.  That's where the analytic revolution has come  in football.  Making work accessible to the public that was previously only done well by the good coaching staffs on their own players.

If Dunbar wants out, that moves the needle on need for a corner.

But I still don't think that need is going to trump OLB, FS or OL. 

Now, a lot can happen in all of those spots. Free agency means we're going to add players. I can see Bradberry and a safety added via FA. Maybe even an OL. I'm hoping we add an outside backer as well. If we add one OLB I'm much more comfortable at outside backer. I know, it's popular to write off the need for a backer because of Rivera and Del Rio, but those guys cannot make a player who doesn't fit the role physically more athletic. I think SDH can likely adequately play one spot. Reuben Foster, if he ever sees the field, can play the other. Holcomb can play the MIKE. But what do you do if SDH struggles or Foster gets hurt again? Or both? That group isn't confidence inspiring enough for me to say we're adequate there. The wild card is JHC. If he is able to step in and play, that hole becomes less, and it amplifies the need in the other positions more. But you have to get something out of JHC.

My goal for the draft would be simple: plug the holes the best we can via free agency. All of them if you can. Note: I don't mean they have to be filled with top flight players. I mean fill the holes with good enough players that you aren't looking at the position as a black hole. 

That allows you to draft completely BPA in the draft. With the free agent class I think it's possible to fill most of these holes at the very least adequately and still have some cash left over. 

Being able to draft through the entire draft BPA (with positional weights) would be a tremendous boon to this team. 

2 hours ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

@volsmet Weird, Moreau is also on the lowest completion percentage allowed list I saw on this board earlier today. So either he shuts them down or he gets burned?

Without knowing how this annalist determines burn rate, it’s difficult to get much of a read on how significant a statistic like the one above is. That said, I’m only paying for guys who get me everything our scheme designs 99% of the time & I’m only extending my cap for those who the others need to adapt their X’s & O’s for; those who get more than what is designed. SF wins because the X’s & O’s are taken care of - they risk little on either side & rarely fail to meet the design of the play call, they go 11 for 11 on both sides 99% of the time & have one defensive player who gets more than the design. KC wins because Mahomes, Hill, Hardman, Kelce, & Jones get more than the X’s & O’s & those threats make up for those who are less consistent than the guys on SF. In the SB we saw the team that got what was designed dominate for 45 minutes, but the cowardice of Shanny kept the opposition around long enough for the special players on KC to break through; Shanny’s failure to be assertive put his pedestrian QB in a position that required him to do more ... and that pedestrian QB failed. SF has done a tremendous job building their roster, but like nearly everyone else, they cost themselves by paying a QB who makes no difference at all.

That’s a long winded way to say, if those numbers are even semi-accurate, Moreau needs to improve drastically to be a starter on a winning team devoid of game changers. 2 hours of sleep ... my post is probably incoherent, but I trust this group knows what I aim to say in all that rambling. 

C555C4D2-CAE3-471E-8077-92D46681B60F.gif

32 minutes ago, volsmet said:

🧐

Man, Jonathan Taylor is such a good running back.  I love watching him play, huge mancrush on that player this year.  He's as good at adjusting speed to the situation as anyone you'll see.  Awesome instincts.  And then he has that special combo of burst/power to batter you for those eight yard body blows when you were sure you had all your gaps fitted.  He was just on another level from everyone else in that game.

I think he's a first round talent for sure, and he has a chance to become one of the best backs in the NFL.  I think he's the best runner in this year's class.  I like him for any kind of scheme, but especially for a power running scheme.  I wish we had picks in his range.  That #34 pick would be awesome right now.

I love him and I love Biadasz and I like Cephus.  That offense was excellent this year, but Cohn was pretty bad.  Particularly bad in that game.  Spraying the ball everywhere.  If they got major-program caliber quarterbacking, they could have had a special year.  Similar to the issues that LSU was having pre-Burrow/Brady.

The good thing about Wisconsin receivers is that they're going to have a ton of practice and experience adjusting to absolutely horribly placed throws.  I'm not sure Cohn put the ball on the money a single time on throws beyond five yards from the LoS in that game.

Archived