Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

4 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

What do you think of Quintez Cephus, #87 on Wisconsin?  I think he's someone with real NFL ability whose going to be slept on.

D5EADDBE-85E1-4162-905C-5B56F1D66C61.gif

1 hour ago, Fresh8686 said:

Q is a fighter, i like this dude so far. He’s been on my list to watch. 

Law enforcements, as well.

1 hour ago, volsmet said:

He’s ridiculous. Mocks have him going in 2, if that’s the case - I’m moving what’s required to get the top spot in round 2.

Those interceptions in man coverage are special.  Jump ball winner.  He is so big and clever that you can't get any kind of throwing lane on him when he's in phase like that.

16 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Those interceptions in man coverage are special.  Jump ball winner.  He is so big and clever that you can't get any kind of throwing lane on him when he's in phase like that.

He’s just so smooth tracking the ball, flipping his hips... he moves like he’s 5-9, he’s one of those guys who looks like he was born to play his position. I’m curious as to what he’ll run, or if he’ll run, at the combine. 

I think when including size in the equation, Kenneth Murray is my favorite backer. I still like Akeem more, but his size does have to be factored in at least a little. Murray is a nasty, downhill, aggressive, angry, run snuffing, athletic machine of a man. He would transform this defense. He will not be available to us. 

I have shed a single tear.

11 hours ago, volsmet said:

He’s ridiculous. Mocks have him going in 2, if that’s the case - I’m moving what’s required to get the top spot in round 2.

Simmons 

Ruggs

Diggs

v

Chase

Love Tua but 2 ankle surgeries, hip surgery and the dude has the tendency to get banged up just in general, not sure the Dolphins will trade the farm for him so I am not expecting some crazy offer.

But if it came, for me I love all three players you mention.  I agree with @stevemcqueen1 that a dude like Higgins might be a surprise faller.  But I suspect with Ruggs it might go the opposite way -- if he kills it in the combine as many suspect, I think he might go top 15.  I think he's going to be a beast. 

6 hours ago, volsmet said:

Great twitter thread featuring Shenault

He's right, Shenault is a dynamic ball-carrier.  But he's not a good receiver.  He can't run routes and he can't get open against man coverage and he can't pluck the ball out of the air in contested catch situations.  That's a big part of the job for a receiver, and I am skeptical that he'll make a big enough impact to justify a high draft pick on screens and reverses and backfield runs.  That's the big difference between him and a guy like Deebo Samuel, who can beat a press and get open and catch the ball in coverage.  That thread did a good job outlining why he's such a special runner with the ball in his hands, but it ignored about 80% of what it takes to be a great receiver in the NFL.

https://www.thedraftnetwork.com/articles/nfl-draft-prospects-2020-tuls-takes

CB Battle: Cameron Dantzler over Trevon Diggs

There’s a vast difference in play strength and frame between Mississippi State’s Cameron Dantzler and Alabama’s Trevon Diggs, but they each possess elite length and ball skills as high-upside press man defenders.

While Diggs may be more equipped to handle the physicality of NFL wide receivers right away, I think Dantzler is more fluid in and out of his transitions, showing a better ability to mirror and stay attached to the hip pocket. With Diggs, I see a player who is a good linear athlete but struggles to change direction and close down separation.

A prime example of this is when both players matched up against LSU’s Ja’Marr Chase. Both Dantzler and Diggs shadowed Chase in each of their respective games; one player shined while the other faltered. Dantzler allowed little to no separation throughout the game, staying over the top and winning with both length and fluidity. Diggs, on the other hand, struggled to stay attached to Chase and was on the receiving end of multiple big plays as a result.

Some NFL teams will prefer Diggs because of his frame, play strength and ready-made skill set for a press man scheme, but I would rather have the cornerback who can mirror in addition to winning with length. That’s why I prefer Dantzler over Diggs.

CB Battle 2.0: Jaylon Johnson over Kristian Fulton

I have a feeling many people will disagree, but I truly believe Utah’s Jaylon Johnson has a slight edge over LSU’s Kristian Fulton. Both players have some of the best reactive quickness in man coverage. It does not matter if it’s in an off or press alignment, receivers have incredible difficulty separating from Johnson and Fulton. Their respective mental triggers and route recognition skills are simply top shelf. Additionally, they both share very similar physical profiles with their height and length.

The biggest difference I saw between the two on film was play strength. Fulton’s Achilles heel was exposed against Clemson in the National Championship when Tee Higgins buried him at the catch point on multiple occasions with overwhelming physicality. Too many times, Fulton is the nail getting hammered in, whether it’s at the catch point, line of scrimmage or in run support. Johnson, however, plays an extremely physical brand of football. His lack of length is bothersome at times, but you can tell he is better equipped to handle NFL strength if called upon tomorrow, especially in press man coverage.

Top Dawg: D’Andre Swift is RB1, but just barely over Clyde Edwards-Helaire

Since the preseason, D’Andre Swift has been the top running back on my draft board. Six months, later that has not changed. But I’d be lying if I didn’t say there is a contender on his heels in LSU’s Clyde Edwards-Helaire. It may come as a surprise that it’s not J.K. Dobbins or Jonathan Taylor, but in my opinion, neither has the type of third-down value Edwards-Helaire possesses. In fact, I think he is better than Swift in that regard. 

I’ve often compared Edwards-Helaire to Brian Westbrook with his contact balance, elusiveness and passing game reliability. He bounces off arm tackles and makes defenders look silly in the open field. The only thing he really lacks is the juice to house some runs, which is what Swift can do. Other than that, Edwards-Helaire might be the most complete running back in the 2020 NFL draft.

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Love Tua but 2 ankle surgeries, hip surgery and the dude has the tendency to get banged up just in general, not sure the Dolphins will trade the farm for him so I am not expecting some crazy offer.

But if it came, for me I love all three players you mention.  I agree with @stevemcqueen1 that a dude like Higgins might be a surprise faller.  But I suspect with Ruggs it might go the opposite way -- if he kills it in the combine as many suspect, I think he might go top 15.  I think he's going to be a beast. 

We look at mock drafts daily, the hypothetical world is our real world, and I love it.

That Week 9 performance against Wisconsin is like a case in how not to play a dominant edge rusher.

1 - Make sure someone is assigned to block him on every play.  If you're running away from him, you still need someone to at least get in his way because his pursuit speed is so special for the position.

2 - Don't put yourself in position where the TE is single blocking him on a pass play.

3 - If he lines up somewhere in the middle, check out of the damn screen.  You won't get it blocked in time.

4 - Give. your. tackles. help.  Don't put him on an island if you're running a longer developing play.

Wisconsin is one of the very best programs at developing offensive linemen in the country.  And even their vanilla schemes have simplistic protections that are inflexible, inadequate to handle a truly dominant rusher, and leave their linemen confused when the rush happens in a way that weren't expecting.  It also doesn't help that their pass game is so rigid and limited and takes forever to break coverages.

Van Lanen is a very good player too.  He's not Chase Young good though.  He clearly wasn't prepared for Chase's first step and couldn't handle it in that game.  And they didn't help him out in that day either, and that RT didn't have a shot at stopping his speed rush one on one.

Wisconsin adjusted for the B1G championship game.  They loaded up their protections on his side and it mostly worked.  The other big thing was they kept the score close and kept the run game churning and viable.  Successful run game neutralizes rush.

On 2/3/2020 at 12:30 PM, skinny21 said:

@JamesMadisonSkins

While I lean toward keeping Williams, if we can pull in a heavy hitter via FA, I’m fine dealing him.  In part because I’m excited for this draft class, as you allude to.  
I’m kind of against a Cooper type signing because of the depth of the receiver class, the money it would take, our other needs, and because I’m in favor of Harmon being given a shot... but it would be great to have a stud opposite Terry.  
I’m a little concerned our FA dollars are going to go quick if we re-sign some of our own and get any of the bigger FAs like Harris, Bradberry, Hooper, Cooper, Conklin, etc.  Even if we can afford them, I’d then worry about re-signing guys down the line - Dunbar, Allen, Payne, etc.

This surprises me... 
Guice was a 2nd of course... but Love was what, a 5th rounder?  Who was the last back we took before the 4th/5th?   Matt Jones?  Before that was Helu I think?

He was a 4th, and with him we have now taken a RB with one of our top 4 picks in 4 of the last 5 drafts.  Thats 20% of the top 4 picks going to the RB slot, which is of course only 1 of 22 starting spots.

Archived