Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

The only thing about Biadasz that gives me pause is that he was blocking for such a great running back that it does call into question the quality of some of his blocks.  He's not necessarily getting 8 or 10 yards worth of push/movement on some of these A gap runs but Taylor is exploding through the crease with perfect timing and a ton of speed/force that the offense gets that anyway.  And on some of these pulls, he's lumbering a little but Taylor is in your hip pocket, constantly setting up the blocks for you and making it easier to reach your assignment.

Two years of Taylor making life easy on you might inflate the perception of your performance.  There was probably a similar effect happening the year Josh Garnett won the Outland, for example.  It happening in the same season that McCaffrey was crazy good and probably should have won the Heisman  Garnett was definitely very good that 2015 season, but I don't know that he was Outland good retrospect.  McCaffrey should have gotten his name put on that trophy too.

But I will say this--Garnett was a bit of a one year wonder, and injuries wrecked his NFL career.  Biadasz was good as a freshman in 2017, was awesome in 2018 sophomore, and very good in 2019 despite the injury.  The talk of him having a down year just isn't accurate.  He was still one of the best centers in the country this season, and PFF had him graded with an identical grade to his junior year (86.7) through the regular season in 2019: https://www.pff.com/news/college-football-2019-pff-all-american-team

I think Biadasz is the best interior OL in the class, and I want him for us more than any other lineman outside of the first round caliber OTs.

2 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

@KDawg Assuming Dunbar isn’t on the team next year....

If I’m right that our SAM would come off the field in nickel/dime (especially if they’re the weakest of our backers coverage/talent-wise), wouldn’t corner seem more of a glaring need?   Am I missing/forgetting something?

Depends on what you think of Moreland/Moreau.

7 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Depends on what you think of Moreland/Moreau.

Personally, I think they’re not starting caliber.  With that said, they both have the potential to be ok starters, maybe more, if this dline is what we expect (especially Moreland as he has more room for growth, IMO).  

The mock drafts have had the WRs steadily slipping in first round positioning.  I think that the consensus is forming that the depth of the WR class is very clearly undermining the draft value of the blue chippers.  I also wouldn't be surprised to see the OTs and DLs get reached on this year, as they fill the void of the WRs dropping in value + there isn't a lot of day 2 quality at those positions this year like there was last year.  I could also see a bunch of corners plus McKinney and Delpit going round one.

I'm feeling a ton of urgency to take advantage of the WR and RB classes this year.  I've been playing mocks where I've consistently gotten receivers as good as Isaiah Hodgins and Tyler Johnson in the fourth and fifth rounds.  I've been seeing Swift, Taylor, and Dobbins routinely go in the second round, and I've been able to get Anthony McFarland, Josh Kelly, and my AJ Dillon in the sixth and seventh rounds almost every time.

The value is so unusually strong at RB and WR this year, and we're in a situation of having a bright young QB and OC starting out their careers with us.  It feels like we could "finish off" building the skill positions with a great day two and day three in the 2020 class, and have a true panoply of weapons to grow up with the QB and offensive staff so that we'd have an explosive home-grown offense to go with that monster defensive front.  That's the path of least cost and resistance to contention for us, as I think it's not really playing out for us to get a ton of value from our OL and secondary acquisitions.

2 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I'm feeling a ton of urgency to take advantage of the WR and RB classes this year.  I've been playing mocks where I've consistently gotten receivers as good as Isaiah Hodgins and Tyler Johnson in the fourth and fifth rounds.  I've been seeing Swift, Taylor, and Dobbins routinely go in the second round, and I've been able to get Anthony McFarland, Josh Kelly, and my AJ Dillon in the sixth and seventh rounds almost every time.

The value is so unusually strong at RB and WR this year, and we're in a situation of having a bright young QB and OC starting out their careers with us.  It feels like we could "finish off" building the skill positions with a great day two and day three in the 2020 class, and have a true panoply of weapons to grow up with the QB and offensive staff so that we'd have an explosive home-grown offense to go with that monster defensive front.  That's the path of least cost and resistance to contention for us, as I think it's not really playing out for us to get a ton of value from our OL and secondary acquisitions.

I agree with this. Also, FA WR’s are generally more expensive than they warrant. Look how much Paul Richardson costs. People are projecting Robbie Anderson at 13-14 million a year, but even at 10 million, that’s a lot of money. I think we can get that production out of a 3rd rounder this year. 

If I’m paying a ton of money to a WR, he needs to be a WR1 type guy and I’d rather pay CB’s, DL and OT, along with QB of course. 

8 hours ago, volsmet said:

I wish it showed his Burn Rate in the Slot compared to outside after Norman got benched.  He had some issues still, and was by no means perfect.  He was still hit and miss on the outside, but his poor plays went from frequent, to seldom.  Moreau isn't scheme versatile, he's mostly a zone corner.  I need to know more on potential Free Agent Bradberry, I've read he was used mostly as a zone corner in Carolina, but then also read he followed some #1 receivers around...which isn't zone.

4 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

I wish it showed his Burn Rate in the Slot compared to outside after Norman got benched.  He had some issues still, and was by no means perfect.  He was still hit and miss on the outside, but his poor plays went from frequent, to seldom.  Moreau isn't scheme versatile, he's mostly a zone corner.  I need to know more on potential Free Agent Bradberry, I've read he was used mostly as a zone corner in Carolina, but then also read he followed some #1 receivers around...which isn't zone.

You could say the same about Moreau.  He moved outside, and he showed up.  He's better outside than in the slot.  

5 hours ago, OVCChairman said:

You could say the same about Moreau.  He moved outside, and he showed up.  He's better outside than in the slot.  

Whoops, my post was talking about Moreau, but it doesn't read quite like that.

----------------------------

CB isn't mandatory early in the draft.

We were 3-13.  We should be significantly better next season.  But contending?  No way.  Our likely window to contend, if things work out, is 2021 and 2022.  2020 is still a year of development.  New offense, new defense, QB hasn't even started a full season yet.  Keep in mind, Sean McVay who took the league by storm, didn't win his first playoff game until his 2nd year.

We don't need to fix everything in one off-season.  There was a chance that even if Dunbar had not requested a trade, we would not have re-signed him for our contention window of 2021 and 2022.  Another factor is how injured Dunbar gets.  Now he has been one of the vocal guys about the previous training staff being bad.  So maybe he'd be healthier in the future, who knows.

Ever since he began each season as a starter, here's how much he's played:
2019 - He played in 54.1% of the defensive snaps
2018 - He played in 36.1% of the defensive snaps

Even if our contention window included 2020.  What are the odds of Dunbar being healthy for the playoffs?  Trading him for hopefully a 3rd rounder (his contract is cheap, which adds to his trade value), might be the best option we have for our 2021-2022 contention window.

Jaylon Johnson, CB.  Just watched a couple of games.  I don't see him as a pure lock down corner like Okudah but the dude is talented.    He mirrors-sticks to his assignments well.  He plays under control with good confidence.  I saw him get beat from time to time including once deep but its impossible to shut everyone down.   He gets a bit handsy and will likely get called for PI more so in the NFL. 

He plays man, a bunch of zone.   Mostly off coverage.  Some press.   I saw in a play his zone assignment look very free safetyish.  He plays with some physicality against the run.    He has decent length.  Good speed.   He played mostly outside.   He has that sort of natural fluidity as an athlete.  He's twitchy.  He's IMO a good prospect.  

Doing a mock now and I see TDN has been slowly dropping Jaylon Johnson from almost a 1st rounder, to late 2nd/early 3rd.  NFL.com has him as an early 2nd round though.

Watching Jaylon Johnson, and here's what I've got so far.  Looks like a natural fit for press-man scheme, he shows ability as an off corner with his hips pointing to the LoS, but he looks flat out awful using slide shuffle technique.  I like how he can switch assignments easily against WR stacks or rub routes.  Oregon threw those at him constantly.  He seems to be either a pure man or pattern match corner.  He has too many gaffes in zone.

He's a non factor in the run game, and from 3 games that I've watched, does not look good contesting passes in the air down the field.  He looks better at that when breaking on passes in front of him.

Summary, I wouldn't spend our 3rd rounder on him.  I disagree with NFL.com's piece on him.  Some of TDN's writers like his ability against the run, I'm assuming there has to be much better film out there for him.

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

Jaylon Johnson, CB.  Just watched a couple of games.  I don't see him as a pure lock down corner like Okudah but the dude is talented.    He mirrors-sticks to his assignments well.  He plays under control.  I saw him get beat from time to time including once deep but its possible to shut everyone down.   He gets a bit handsy and will likely get called for PI more so in the NFL. 

He plays man, a bunch of zone.  I saw in a play his zone assignment look very free safetyish.  He plays with some physicality against the run.    He has decent length.  Good speed.   He played mostly outside.   He has that sort of natural fluidity as an athlete.  He's twitchy.  He's IMO a good prospect.

Ha, just wrote up something on him.  I think he's scheme dependent.  I don't like him in a Cover 3 zone.  He seems more like a Cover 2 guy, but generally in Cover 2, you want your corners to operate better against the run.  They'll have more responsibilities, and from the tapes I saw (Oregon, USC, and BYU), he was generally disinterested inserting himself into the action.

So I'm looking at him as mostly a Man coverage guy.  Cover 2 shell with Man Under.  That's probably his best spot.  He struggles contesting on deep shots.  Some of that can be trained, he needs to do a better job with his hands telling him where the WR is while he's looking back at the ball.

34 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Jaylon Johnson, CB.  Just watched a couple of games.  I don't see him as a pure lock down corner like Okudah but the dude is talented.    He mirrors-sticks to his assignments well.  He plays under control with good confidence.  I saw him get beat from time to time including once deep but its impossible to shut everyone down.   He gets a bit handsy and will likely get called for PI more so in the NFL. 

He plays man, a bunch of zone.   Mostly off coverage.  Some press.   I saw in a play his zone assignment look very free safetyish.  He plays with some physicality against the run.    He has decent length.  Good speed.   He played mostly outside.   He has that sort of natural fluidity as an athlete.  He's twitchy.  He's IMO a good prospect.  

He's particularly good in off man coverage but he's a good press corner too.  I love this kid.  He first came to my attention in the Oregon State game where he was pretty awesome.  Up to that point Hodgins had been killing everyone to that point in the season, including Adebo.  And Johnson shut him down.  He's got great hip fluidity and recovery speed and he's got a lot of aggression and swagger.  He's not quite as athletic as Gladney, but he's a better player by a fair margin IMO.  I think he was the best player on a very, very good defense. 

From that secondary, Burgess, Guidry, and Blackmon are getting NFL looks too.  But the one who interests me the most aside from Johnson is #14 Josh Nurse.  Juco player who was down the depth chart a little ways.  Just not a lot there on film.  But I noticed him in the USC game as he was able to finally get Pittman to stop killing them when he matched up on him in the second half.  He's huge.  Former WR I believe, has a little bit of that Dunbar background as a potential seventh round or UDFA gem.  A few pages back, @volsmet posted a video of Trevon Diggs boxing out guys in man coverage and making plays on the ball.  That same kind of size is there with Nurse.  It's just really hard to get the ball over top of guys like him when they stay in phase and pin receivers to the boundary.  You basically have to be able to throw the best back shoulder passes the world has ever seen.

I think the Redskins main needs are:

Superstar (and by that I mean someone who gives opposing OCs or DCs a panic attack.  Right now, I think McLauren may be our only player in this category. 

o line: not sure I’d tackle or guard is more pressing. 

lb: especially ones with coverage skill

cb

te

not necessarily in that order. 

I hear it’s a strong draft for cbs, but a weak one for tes. How does the draft play out at lb and ol esp in the latter rounds 3+?

18 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Ha, just wrote up something on him.  I think he's scheme dependent.  I don't like him in a Cover 3 zone.  He seems more like a Cover 2 guy, but generally in Cover 2, you want your corners to operate better against the run.  They'll have more responsibilities, and from the tapes I saw (Oregon, USC, and BYU), he was generally disinterested inserting himself into the action.

So I'm looking at him as mostly a Man coverage guy.  Cover 2 shell with Man Under.  That's probably his best spot.  He struggles contesting on deep shots.  Some of that can be trained, he needs to do a better job with his hands telling him where the WR is while he's looking back at the ball.

I gather I am a bigger fan of Jaylon than you are.  Don't get me wrong, he's no Okudah.  He's not a pure lockdown guy.  He can get beat.  But IMO he's good.  From what I saw he can play off, play press.  Cover 1, Cover 3, I think he'd be fine.  Cover 2 as well.   As for zone it's impossible to know since we don't know his assignments but he seems to stick to his spot so to speak so I am presuming at the very least he's not blowing his assignment.  But I don't know.

In the two games I watched, including the Oregon game you mentioned, they didn't really run at him.  He plays mostly outside and right parallel to the numbers quite a bit so RBs weren't really headed his way.  It might look like he's late to the play with the run but that's because the play happened elsewhere somewhat out of his range.  So sometimes you see him a feet or two away from the play just watching the play finish and I gather we can accuse of him of not charging headlong into the play.  But few corners do from my observation. 

In the USC game, they came right his way with a run and I thought he tackled fine.  Another time, he tried to fling the WR out of his way to make a tackle, he didn't succeed doing it but he tried.  You can see though by the way he tackles receivers and mugs them almost that he's a physical player.   I think he'd be more than fine against the run. If I have a fear about him its more that he's too physical.  I know you are talking purely about the run but to me that's more about his mindset than anything considering he didn't have a lot of action on that front at least in the games I watched -- but he strikes me the type who would play it well considering he seems to like to play physical and even with a mean streak  at times. 

The reason why I looked at him was in my mocks that I mess with on Draft Network, he pops up often in the early third.  so if that happened, I wanted to see if I'd like him.  And my thought to that is yes, I'd take him there. 

39 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I gather I am a bigger fan of Jaylon than you are.  Don't get me wrong, he's no Okudah.  He's not a pure lockdown guy.  He can get beat.  But IMO he's good.  From what I saw he can play off, play press.  Cover 1, Cover 3, I think he'd be fine.  Cover 2 as well.   As for zone it's impossible to know since we don't know his assignments but he seems to stick to his spot so to speak so I am presuming at the very least he's not blowing his assignment.  But I don't know.

In the two games I watched, including the Oregon game you mentioned, they didn't really run at him.  He plays mostly outside and right parallel to the numbers quite a bit so RBs weren't really headed his way.  It might look like he's late to the play with the run but that's because the play happened elsewhere somewhat out of his range.  So sometimes you see him a feet or two away from the play just watching the play finish and I gather we can accuse of him of not charging headlong into the play.  But few corners do from my observation. 

In the USC game, they came right his way with a run and I thought he tackled fine.  Another time, he tried to fling the WR out of his way to make a tackle, he didn't succeed doing it but he tried.  You can see though by the way he tackles receivers and mugs them almost that he's a physical player.   I think he'd be more than fine against the run. If I have a fear about him its more that he's too physical.  I know you are talking purely about the run but to me that's more about his mindset than anything considering he didn't have a lot of action on that front at least in the games I watched -- but he strikes me the type who would play it well considering he seems to like to play physical and even with a mean streak  at times.

I like how physical he is at the catch point when things are in front of him, but I do think he struggles tracking the ball overhead and contesting passes deeper down the field.  Jaylon Johnson is going to be on the receiving end of some highlight bombs in the NFL.

Your 2nd clip, shows what I mean about run defense.  He slows up and only tries to make contact with the RB as he's already being brought down, this happened repeatedly.  Some other examples about lackluster effort in the run game from the below clip:

1:29 - He sees the QB scrambling for a touchdown, but makes no effort and is content being blocked by the WR.

5:48 - His man goes in motion, so the safety has to come down and cover him, and Johnson rotates to deeper coverage.  RB stumbles through the line, Johnson has to come in against the run on a RB way off balance aaaannnndd...he still misses the tackle.  He's hesitant in coming up, and by the time he makes that decision, the RB has regained his balance.  He does not want contact with runners.

Some good plays so I'm not all negative:

At 2:50 in the above clip.  He's not involved, but I really like how he fluidly switches to the WR doing the rub route, and how he does it without even looking at it, that's natural for him.

At 4:20 I really like his work in zone here.  Sees the guy that's going to come into his zone early and moves to close the window before there even would be one.  Keeps his eyes on the action in front of him, and then you can barely see he's already got his hips pointing forwards towards the guy in the flat if the QB goes in that direction.  He's good in under zones, where he can backpedal and keep stuff in front.  In contrast I think he's bad in slide shuffle like is commonly used in Cover 3.  So he can do some zones at least.

You can't really see him being tested deep in the Oregon game.  There's one where he lets up a long catch over the middle, but from positioning it's possible that wasn't his responsibility?  Or maybe he did get toasted.  We have no way of knowing from that clip.

Bad Play:

0:58, he either loses his footing while trying to track the deep ball, or he gets bodied by the WR.

Good Play:

1:13, playing way off, starts a backpedal for half a step but reads quickly and reacts on a throw underneath.

Bad Play:

1:33, that's not his man, but he's going in on a tackle.  He half-asses it assuming his teammate can bring him down, but doesn't, and then he gets brushed aside.

Bad Play:

2:06, Cover 3 is not his game.  He really struggles figuring out when to turn and run with the WR.  He's lucky it's a poor throw.

Good Play:

3:57, Press Man and squeezes his guy way to the sideline.  Just taking him out of the play.

Good Play:

5:51, Press Man, he's physical at the catch and tries to rip the ball out while making the tackle

Bad Play

7:24, deep shot, doesn't turn around or attempt a play on the ball when the WR was kind of telegraphing it.  Commits DPI.

Can't find it, but I remember another clip where he struggled tracking the ball over his head and lost a step on the WR because of it.

Man, it's cool as hell seeing y'alls read on people and comparing it to mine. I don't always agree with everything, but **** I'm just a beginner in all this and I enjoy the hell out of all the well thought out views everyone is putting down in here. I learn a lot and appreciate the time and effort.

2 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

I like how physical he is at the catch point when things are in front of him, but I do think he struggles tracking the ball overhead and contesting passes deeper down the field.  Jaylon Johnson is going to be on the receiving end of some highlight bombs in the NFL.

Your 2nd clip, shows what I mean about run defense.  He slows up and only tries to make contact with the RB as he's already being brought down, this happened repeatedly.  Some other examples about lackluster effort in the run game from the below clip:

1:29 - He sees the QB scrambling for a touchdown, but makes no effort and is content being blocked by the WR.

5:48 - His man goes in motion, so the safety has to come down and cover him, and Johnson rotates to deeper coverage.  RB stumbles through the line, Johnson has to come in against the run on a RB way off balance aaaannnndd...he still misses the tackle.  He's hesitant in coming up, and by the time he makes that decision, the RB has regained his balance.  He does not want contact with runners.

The two games I watched, he gave up a long pass and a TD.  So as I mentioned, he's not totally a shut down corner but they all really give up plays here and there.  

I guess will have to agree to disagree on him versus the run.   My main thought is its impossible to know because he wasn't really tested on that front much.  He was playing outside corner, mostly right on top of the numbers and often favoring stopping the receiver breaking outside.  He's not a safety where it's his job to just to dive into the running plays or playing inside where you have to be physical more against the run.  My point is if he were, I think there is a chance you'd see his physical side on that front considering he's a physical player in general.  He will level receivers who catch the ball.  So its basically the same idea-concept-attitude to tackle a RB 

This video was already posted, but I just got around to watching it. 

Skip to 4:55 and just watch Van Jefferson run routes. He's going to be 24 as a rookie, but those routes are poetry. I could easily see him not timing that well and dropping. He's be our second best receiver right away. 

Good stuff about Cushenberry at 13:00 too. 

Bradlee Anae 23:45. Great pass rushing highlights from the Senior Bowl. 

10 hours ago, volsmet said:

Looks like my dude Vaughns made light work of Johnson.

He was well covered on that TD play, Johnson just fell down right before the catch point.  Vaughns made a nice play though.

Johnson actually shut him down aside from that one play.  They had him shadow Vaughns almost the entire game, which is why Michael Pittman detonated for 200+ yards.  It was pick your poison with that USC WR group.  You have to put Johnson on Vaughns because he's their best WR.  After him, St. Brown from the slot scares you the most so you make sure whoever is getting him gets Blackmon's help.  That leaves poor Tareke Lewis trying to guard Pittman by himself, which failed spectacularly.  It wasn't until the second half when Nurse came in and bodied up Pittman and got a bracket coverage from Blackmon over the top that they were finally able to quiet Pittman.  But by that point the damage had been done.  The theory was sound, Lewis just couldn't get it done and USC kept hammering that mismatch.

Archived