Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

So I'm watching JR Reed against Vanderbilt now.  I like him.  He's a feisty safety.  Plays in the box, Cover 2, Single High.  He'll go after it with a mean streak.  He's being blocked by a WR, so he gets his hands into the WR's facemask and tries to press him off that way.  He makes it uncomfortable for the opposing player.

I can't tell much about his speed yet.  There hasn't been an opportunity for him to turn on the jets and haul ass to the sideline for something.

He played against LSU, and if anything was a test for his coverage ability, it'd be that one.  So that's a cutup I really want to see.  In lieu of that, I'm watching Joe Burrow vs Georgia.  Reed is #20, and he wears a white band on his arm, which helps differentiate him.

Here's Reed going against likely 2021 1st round WR, Ja'marr Chase.  He's so close to breaking that up.

https://giphy.com/gifs/jr-reed-vs-lsu-icOw7qmkt5pO28CJ5C

Oof, at around 2:45, he got roasted in the red zone by a WR he thought was doing a crosser but cut hard back outside.

At around 10:10, he get's caught up in traffic, there are two pick routes set for his guy (Justin Jefferson), and those pick routes work.

Here's one of the few times JR Reed is in the box against LSU.  He reads it quickly, turns the corner and almost wraps up the WR for a loss on the smoke route.

https://giphy.com/gifs/fUfCgJpxSBbssNPOUZ

TL;DR  I like Georgia safety JR Reed.  He seems to be getting no buzz, so maybe we can add him mid-late Day 3.  I want him on our team to compete.

@volsmet and @KDawg  finally cracking the door with Kyle Smith?  😀  I haven't been pounding the table on this purely because of concerns about Tua's injury history and assumption they are committed to Haskins.  I still think they ride with Haskins this season but am starting to believe its not that outlandish of an idea that its possible they consider Tua.  Tua is one of my favorite all time college players so you'd get no complaints from me. 

The 3rd article I posted is from Standig who typically is plugged in. 

https://redskinswire.usatoday.com/2020/02/22/mel-kiper-jr-redskins-take-tua-tagovailoa/

SPN’s Mel Kiper Jr. is the latest to tackle this topic ahead of the combine, with Alabama’s Tua Tagovailoa the center of discussion. Here’s what he said, via Garrett Stepien of 247 Sports:

“They consider it if he was healthy. And it goes back to if Drew Brees had been healthy, he’d have been a Dolphin, not a Saint. But he wasn’t, so they opted for (Dante) Culpepper. So again, ere’s a situation with Tua — not completely healthy, medical being an issue, durability being an issue with three separate lower-extremity injuries. I’d think, if you’re the Redskins right now, you move forward with Dwayne Haskins. And you draft Chase Young. But it’s definitely tempting because Tua is better than Haskins, so you want to be better at quarterback than you are. That’s always what you want to be. You can’t get better than great, unless you have a great one, but … if Tua wasn’t coming into this process with that question, I would take Tua. … so I would say it’s definitely worth strongly considering.”

Screen Shot 2020-02-24 at 7.31.15 PM.png

9 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Mahomes has a unique grip on the ball where he basically only has his pinkie finger on the laces (baseball background).  I think this helps him compensate for relatively small hands.  I doubt Burrow throws like that.

Didn’t Rypien hold the ball the same way?  I think he had an unconventional grip also. 

And after his like 43rd fumble his rookie year, didn't it come out Alex Smith also has tiny hands? 

You know what they say about guys with small hands: They wear small gloves. 

3 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Not meeting with Tua would be criminal negligence. 

I'd still take Chase Young, but what makes it a little more interesting is but for a prospect the caliber of Chase Young, nobody would be scratching their head if we didn't use any high end resource on a defensive lineman. If hell freezes over and a big time OSU prospect sticks around for his senior season, this would be a more often discussed topic of conversation at the very least.

How strange! I was just watching some of Haskins games with my son and looking at his stats from 2019 when it became clear to me that he is definitely not the answer. So I come on here to propose we take a look at Tua and see that he os meeting with redskins officials at the combine.

I'd be cool with trading with Miami to move to 5 and pick up extra first plus some. Then take Herbert at 5

To even have a chance of luring a team like Miami to trade us a boatload of first and second round picks for Tua, we should at least interview the guy. This kind of outrageous trade probably won't be offered, but we'd be stupid to ignore the possibility.

7 hours ago, redskinsrmylyfe said:

How strange! I was just watching some of Haskins games with my son and looking at his stats from 2019 when it became clear to me that he is definitely not the answer. So I come on here to propose we take a look at Tua and see that he os meeting with redskins officials at the combine.

I'd be cool with trading with Miami to move to 5 and pick up extra first plus some. Then take Herbert at 5

Did you skip his last 2 games? Hard to understand how you’d draw that conclusion unless you didn’t watch those. 

I like Zierlien typically.  And I like Harrison Bryant.  But from watching Harrison i don't see the Kittle comp aside from both being white.  Harrison has some explosiveness to his game but he's not the all around monster physical player Kittle is.  Harrison IMO is a willing blocker but not a good blocker at least not yet. 

Begs the question, who the 🤔 is Giovanni Ricci.

Incidentally, much like DJ, I prefer tight ends that separate & wiggle.

On 8/29/2019 at 9:35 PM, volsmet said:

Good looking prospects in the UCLA v Cinci game:

TE: Deguara

UCLA: LB Woods

On 2/22/2020 at 10:07 AM, Skinsinparadise said:

Don't know if Kyle or Bruce has been driving the let's take injured guys at a "bargain"  -- see Moreau and Love.  If its Kyle and I suspect it might have been -- it wouldn't shock me if the injury actually ups the possibility we take Edwards because I am guessing he could now fall to the 5th, etc. 

On 2/18/2020 at 1:19 PM, stevemcqueen1 said:

Would love to find out how interviews relate to actual selections over the years w/various f.o''s? Is there a slight or larger uptick of guys interviewed being actual selections? Is there no effect? Is it the fact that there are 31 other teams that turns the interview into white noise because the chances to get these guys at perceived value is generally rare especially on day 1 and day 2? 

Have they announced the comp picks yet? heard a rumor that it was coming Friday but saw nothing, I keep hearing we're just getting a 4th? Desperate for us to get a 2nd. 

Would love Bryan Edwards at the top of round 4 to go to us. That would be outstanding. Do worry he's too similar to Harmon and now we're just not going to know, w/the injury, but still like him as a value at the position. 

Cushenberry's measurements are very good for a center.  Seven foot wingspan is pretty cool.  If teams are dropping Biadasz because of his hip injury, then Cushenberry makes sense as the top center in the class, moreso than Nick Harris and Cesar Ruiz.

Andrew Thomas checks every single box.  I feel like I'm going crazy seeing him drop from the overwhelming consensus #1 OT in the class to like the fourth guy for petty reasons.  Somebody is going to get a ridiculous value with this kid.  Really wish we had the ammo to get back into the first round for him.

Isaiah Wilson is worrisome, OTOH.  He shouldn't have come out this year, and coming into the combine that heavy is a serious concern.  He's going to eat himself out of the NFL if he's not careful.  Kindley is very heavy for his height too, but he plays heavy.  He's just got a fatboy build.

AJ Dillon has a unique build.  6'0 250 with no sloppiness in the middle.  Some of the biggest legs you will ever see on a runningback.  He's going to be a battering ram.  Akers, Kelly, and Taylor all measured really well too, and this is an outstanding class for power runningbacks.  Even the short guys like Benjamin, Moss, McFarland, Vaughn, Dobbins, Swift, and Edwards-Helaire are super sturdy. 

This is the year to get a workhorse runner outside of the first round.  There are at least ten of them in the class.

Going back to the WR results from yesterday, Hodgins had almost the same measurements as Higgins:

Isaiah Hodgins - WR - 6-3 5/8" - 210 lbs - Hands = 9 7/8" - Arms = 33 1/8" - Wingspan = 80 4/8"

Tee Higgins - WR - 6-3 5/8" - 216 lbs - Hands = 9 2/8" - Arms = 34 1/8" - Wingspan = 81"

Hodgins is getting slept on big time.  Watching in real time during the season, there was never a question for me that he was a better player than Aiyuk, for example.  He's giving off a strong Kenny Golloday vibe right now.

Collin Johnson has a huge frame too.  I knew he was big, but didn't realize he was that big.  Pittman measured huge too, which is a little surprising given how smooth of an athlete he is.  I think those two and Juwan Johnson are the biggest and burliest receivers in the class.

Juwan Johnson plays big.  That guy is almost a tight end.  Good athlete for his size too, he's one of the more fascinating seventh to UDFA prospects in the class and I'd rather have him than Binjamin Victor.  I would like to get both him and Josh Nurse into our camp to see what they can do.

A missed workout got O’Grady kicked from the team?  I have to assume that was actually the final straw, and not the sole reason...

Mims going in the 1st wouldn’t surprise me in the least - I always felt the 3rd/4th round talk just did not at all match what I saw on tape.  

Archived