Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

Lions muddying the waters a bit? This don't sound fake or contrived at all. Reading between the lines, it seems like he's saying yeah np for Stafford in 2020, but after?? maybe.. maybe not. He's certainly hyping Stafford up more than would usually be the case.. given that Stafford has a whopping $33 MILLION cap hit in 2021.

Maybe the lions will be in the market for a qb after all. I've argued for weeks now that it makes sense given the size of Stafford's contract and the fact that they're RIGHT THERE, with a top tier qb just sitting there.. I'm sure they wouldn't want to endure another 3-13 season to hopefully get a qb in 2 or 3 years. Why not take what's sitting in front of you?

(From NFL.com) At the Senior Bowl, Lions GM Bob Quinn told Alex Marvez and Gil Brandt on SiriusXM NFL radio, he plans to ride Stafford once more and isn't worried about the back injury lingering into 2020.

"Yeah, I'm totally comfortable and happy that Matthew Stafford's our quarterback," Quinn said, via the Detroit Free Press. "He's going to be in full health once the offseason program starts its course. He's pretty much at full health. Talked to him about 10 days ago. He was in the office, so he's feeling great, he's in a good mindset. He's excited."

With that being said, it's not outside the realm of possibility that Detroit will give up a 2nd rounder to move up and secure Tua if he's who they really want. ideally that would be the case, but I think Patricia is on a big time hotseat he may not want a qb (unless the gm said we're doing it anyway, I don't know how much say Patricia has in the draft) In any event, they may want a qb in order to ditch Stafford's deal next year, or be primed for the next HC.

I think the key play here is that IF Detroit secretly covets Tua, then you ratchet the pressure up on them with teams like the dolphins and chargers, and to a lesser extent the colts, bucs and jags. wanting to jump ahead and get their guy.

Lots of variables though. IF Tua is healthy, and IF detroit, miami and LA want him, and IF they're willing to give up picks for in most drafts be a #1 overall pick.. tough to say. But that's why I love this time of year.

Logan Wilson getting something hype. 

“Wyoming ILB Logan Wilson

Put me on the record for this prediction, but Wilson is going to be the biggest winner from this upcoming week in Mobile. There is about zero buzz on this guy because he played for Wyoming, but if played for a Power Five team, Wilson would be talked about as a surefire Top-100 pick and perhaps even more than that. 

He has some of the best instincts I have seen from a linebacker thus far on the year as he keys in on pulling guards and other blocking schemes incredibly well. That bleeds over into his coverage skills with excellent route recognition skills. This is a guy with four interceptions on the year, and his high football IQ is a big reason as to why he has that. But his athleticism is another thing, too, which makes him a top-flight coverage linebacker coming into the league.

Then there is simply the aggressiveness and range in the running game. Wilson put up absurd tackling production at Wyoming, and while tackles are not a fantastic stat, Wilson was around the ball on every play possible. This is a guy who I believe is going to show out, have a great week, and perhaps get picked as high as the second round.”

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/back-to-the-future-jalen-hurts-leads-potential-risers-at-senior-bowl/

Anybody here have a feel for him? Seems like the kind of guy that could fall for us and put produce his draft slot. 

13 hours ago, Poindexter said:

I think Simmons is quite overrated because he can line up at different positions but is not very good at any position.  Can't set the edge, not strong enough to stack and shed lineman, and doesn't have the agility to match up with slot receivers. 

None of this is accurate at all.

I've seen draft geeks here and there tout Adam Trautman.  I just watched 2 of his games.  He's my kind of TE.  He's a better blocker than all the TE's I've watched, aside from maybe Kmet.  He might be a better blocker than him, too. i have to rewatch Kmet to compare.  But I love Trautman's nastiness as a blocker.   He's not just a willing blocker but it looks like he actually enjoys it.  He locks in to his block, sticks to his block and can maul the defender.

As a receiver, he has decent hands and looks fast for his size.  He high points well.  He's feisty in open field and is a decent YAC guy.  He's a bit clunky looking in open field where it looks like he's more fast than agile.   But he's a fun dude to watch.

I actually like him the best among the TEs I've watched thus far.  The hard thing for me is projecting him considering he played against inferior competition.  But as a raw talent, this dude looks promising.

I've done a 180 on this TE class.  I am not in love with it but I like it the deeper I dive into it.

14 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Logan Wilson getting something hype. 

PFF liked him.  He was on their All American first team.

https://www.pff.com/news/college-football-2019-pff-all-american-team

Linebacker

First Team: Logan Wilson, Wyoming

No linebacker across the nation was able to accomplish what Wilson accomplished in 2019, as he was the only defensive player in the country to field elite grades against the run, in coverage and when blitzing the passer. His all-around elite play saw him finish as the nation's highest-graded linebacker as he recorded 17 total pressures on just 50 pass-rushes, secured 40 run stops and made nine total plays on the ball for a passer rating of just 63.2 into his coverage. Utilized all over the field, Wilson really shined when rushing the passer as he won 36.2% of his pass-rush attempts AND got home with pressure on every pass-rush win, leading the way to one sack, five hits and 11 more hurries.

Overall, Wilson attempted 106 tackle attempts and secured 82 solo tackles with 14 assisted tackles while he averaged making a tackle in run defense just 3.33 yards past the line of scrimmage. Elite at all levels of the field, Wilson capped an incredible four-year career with career-high grades across the board.

Peter King's column

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/01/20/patrick-mahomes-chiefs-49ers-super-bowl-liv-fmia-peter-king/?cid=fmiatw

. I think this is my favorite analysis of Tua Tagovailoa, from one of my favorite analysts, Dan Orlovsky: “It’s going to take a courageous general manager to draft him, and it’s going to take a courageous general manager to pass on him.” When Orlovsky told me that, I immediately thought of two teams: Detroit, picking third, and Miami, picking fifth. How can Tagovailoa get past Miami—that’s my first thought.

Quarterback Tua Tagovailoa. (Getty Images)

But think if you’re Detroit. Matthew Stafford’s been the quarterback there 11 seasons. He’s never won a playoff game, and the Lions are 13 under .500 in games he starts, and he’s entering his age-32 season. Sometimes, even when something’s not your fault, it might be time to wipe the slate clean. If the Lions draft Tua and keep Stafford this year, then cut Stafford in 2021, it’s a $19-million cap hit (when the cap will likely be well over $200 million the first year of the new CBA, assuming no work stoppage), per Over The Cap. The Lions, at minimum, should do very serious homework on the Alabama QB coming back from his hip injury. I’d be concerned with two high ankle sprains and the hip surgery in the span of 13 months. That’s something you’d better be sure of if you pick him. But if you get past that, how do you pass on him, even with a decent QB situation on your team?

5. I think one more tidbit on the first pick of the 2020 draft is in order. Orlovsky on Joe Burrow: “I would take Joe [over Tagovailoa]. No injuries, very high performance this year. People will hold the talent around him against him, maybe, and they’ll say he only did it one year. But I’ll say look at his physical talent. Look what he did operating a pro system with Joe Brady [his passing-game coach]. He can think. He can throw guys open. He can complete passes in tight windows. His movement and accuracy remind me of Steve Young.”

Round 1 - Pick 1

LSU • SR • 6'4" / 216 LBS
PROJECTED TEAM
Cincinnati
PROSPECT RNK
2nd
POSITION RNK
1st

Burrow proved himself over the last five months. Don't be surprised if he chooses not to work out at the combine and has a heavily scripted pro day. In fact, the Bengals would be smart to start negotiating with him now and get him a playbook as soon as possible.
Round 1 - Pick 2

Chase Young EDGE
OHIO STATE • JR • 6'5" / 265 LBS
PROJECTED TEAM
Washington
PROSPECT RNK
1st
POSITION RNK
1st

Is edge rusher the Redskins' biggest need? No, but Young is going to be special. We're talking, "better than the Bosa brothers"-type talent. The biggest question is whether Washington will listen to trade offers from other teams looking to move up for a quarterback.
Round 1 - Pick 3

OHIO STATE • JR • 6'1" / 200 LBS
PROJECTED TEAM
Detroit
PROSPECT RNK
3rd
POSITION RNK
1st

Okudah's effort vs. Clemson in the Fiesta Bowl earlier this month was the closest thing we've seen to a shutdown corner this season; he put the clamps on Tee Higgins and Justyn Ross for most of the night and solidified his place as the No. 1 cornerback in this draft class.
Round 1 - Pick 4

ALABAMA • JR • 6'5" / 320 LBS
PROJECTED TEAM
N.Y. Giants
PROSPECT RNK
8th
POSITION RNK
1st

Wills is not only one of the best players on Alabama's roster, he's arguably the top offensive linemen in this class. The right tackle quietly had an outstanding 2019 campaign and he'll upgrade a Giants offensive line in desperate need of some consistency.
Round 1 - Pick 5

ALABAMA • JR • 6'1" / 218 LBS
PROJECTED TEAM
Miami
PROSPECT RNK
4th
POSITION RNK
2nd

This will all come down to Tua's health, but agent Leigh Steinberg expects that the quarterback will be able to throw for teams at some point before the draft. For now, though, this is the best-case scenario for the Dolphins, who won five of their last nine games.
Round 1 - Pick 6

AUBURN • SR • 6'5" / 318 LBS
PROJECTED TEAM
L.A. Chargers
PROSPECT RNK
5th
POSITION RNK
1st

Yes, the Chargers used a first-round pick on Jerry Tillery last April, and yes, the team needs upgrades along the offensive line, but L.A.'s D-line ranked in the bottom third in the league in stopping the run and getting after the quarterback, and Brown, one of the best players in this class, is coming off a dominant 2019 season for the Tigers.
Round 1 - Pick 7

OREGON • SR • 6'6" / 237 LBS
PROJECTED TEAM
Carolina
PROSPECT RNK
33rd
POSITION RNK
4th

The Panthers have needs in the secondary and along the defensive line but we still don't know when Cam Newton, who has one year left on his deal, will be healthy. And with the addition of new OC Joe Brady, getting Newton's successor would make some sense. Herbert will need a year to grow into a starting role but he has all the physical tools teams look for in a franchise passer.
Round 1 - Pick 8

GEORGIA • JR • 6'5" / 320 LBS
PROJECTED TEAM
Arizona
PROSPECT RNK
9th
POSITION RNK
2nd

The Cardinals need to get better up front; the O-line ranked 21st in run blocking and 26th in pass blocking, according to Football Outsiders; Andrew Thomas was a three-year starter at Georgia where he was dominant at times in protecting Jake Fromm and blocking for D'Andre Swift.
Round 1 - Pick 9

SOUTH CAROLINA • SR • 6'6" / 310 LBS
PROJECTED TEAM
Jacksonville
PROSPECT RNK
13th
POSITION RNK
2nd

This might be a tad high for Kinlaw but the Jaguars have needs along the defensive line and the South Carolina standout was one of the best pass-rushing interior players in the country.
Round 1 - Pick 10

CLEMSON • JR • 6'4" / 230 LBS
PROJECTED TEAM
Cleveland
PROSPECT RNK
6th
POSITION RNK
1st

It sounds like the Browns won't re-sign Joe Schobert, and even though they drafted linebackers Mack Wilson and Sione Takitaki there's still room for Simmons, who can line up anywhere, including safety, which is also a need for this Cleveland defense.

12 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Peter King's column

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/01/20/patrick-mahomes-chiefs-49ers-super-bowl-liv-fmia-peter-king/?cid=fmiatw

. I think this is my favorite analysis of Tua Tagovailoa, from one of my favorite analysts, Dan Orlovsky: “It’s going to take a courageous general manager to draft him, and it’s going to take a courageous general manager to pass on him.” When Orlovsky told me that, I immediately thought of two teams: Detroit, picking third, and Miami, picking fifth. How can Tagovailoa get past Miami—that’s my first thought.

But think if you’re Detroit. Matthew Stafford’s been the quarterback there 11 seasons. He’s never won a playoff game, and the Lions are 13 under .500 in games he starts, and he’s entering his age-32 season. Sometimes, even when something’s not your fault, it might be time to wipe the slate clean. If the Lions draft Tua and keep Stafford this year, then cut Stafford in 2021, it’s a $19-million cap hit (when the cap will likely be well over $200 million the first year of the new CBA, assuming no work stoppage), per Over The Cap. The Lions, at minimum, should do very serious homework on the Alabama QB coming back from his hip injury. I’d be concerned with two high ankle sprains and the hip surgery in the span of 13 months. That’s something you’d better be sure of if you pick him. But if you get past that, how do you pass on him, even with a decent QB situation on your team?

5. I think one more tidbit on the first pick of the 2020 draft is in order. Orlovsky on Joe Burrow: “I would take Joe [over Tagovailoa]. No injuries, very high performance this year. People will hold the talent around him against him, maybe, and they’ll say he only did it one year. But I’ll say look at his physical talent. Look what he did operating a pro system with Joe Brady [his passing-game coach]. He can think. He can throw guys open. He can complete passes in tight windows. His movement and accuracy remind me of Steve Young.”

I could see Tampa trading for Stafford.  Arians wants to win now.  Stafford with THOSE WRs???  Tampa could trade #14+2021 2nd for Stafford.  Detroit takes Tua and takes Kinlaw at #14 to shore up their d-line or Henderson to shore up their CB.

3 hours ago, arftech said:

You don't trade Allen!   These coaches are going to come in here to unleash this defense and Allen will play a big part in that.

I dunno. 3 starters and 2 starting DT spots?

I mean, yeah, we'd have a strong rotation (including Settle) and some packages may include all 3 of the 3-4 starters, BUT how long will that keep them all happy AND what other improvement(s) couldbe made by moving any one of the three? (Allen is obviously my choice of the 3 if it were to happen)

I'd have to see what other teams might offer, at least.

17 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Peter King's column

I said it two weeks ago... Detroit drafting Tua makes the most sense because they can ride Stafford's last BIG year and give Tua a chance to rehab and develop.  Cutting Stafford AFTER 2020 takes his total cap number from $56.5 million to $13.6 mil in dead cap if they release him.  

If a team is willing to take on that contract, it looks like Tampa, as @mhd24 suggested, could afford it... with $91+ mil in cap space available.  

Detroit wanting Tua is the best thing we can hope for, because Miami wants him.  Detroit could trade assets to move up to 2, and we could STILL end up with our pick of the litter. 

I'm going to watch Logan Wilson soon and figure out my take on him.  What do you guys think of Evan Weaver?  I saw a bunch of Cal games this year and the broadcast crews would give him high praise but he always seemed really odd to me.  He's got a somewhat bizarre role and playing style in that defense that has generated ridiculous numbers and got him awards looks even though I'm not sure he was actually a good and highly effective player.

Cal plays a pretty old fashioned brand of force defense against the run where they basically run blitz Weaver a ton and try and have him cut off creases in the C and B gaps before they can form.  It basically constantly runs him out of plays, then he turns and gives chase while the OL is still on his heels, and they more or less trust their back end and weak side guys to clean up things in the areas he vacates.  So he has the effective role of a one gapping three or five technique--only he gets a head of steam before he reaches the line of scrimmage instead of having to fire out of a three point stance.  He's just gotten really good at timing snaps, and It compensates for his lack of get off.  It also disguises his gap responsibility in an effort to confuse runners, but the effectiveness of this varies.

In pass defense it's straightforward middle zone drops to cover the hitch and drag route, at which he is not particularly effective.  A running back in that kind of space is a big mismatch for him because the dude can't change directions and just has to fling himself at the ball carrier after the catch.

He's got a highly entertaining style of play.  Basically he's a human battering ram.  Gives 150% effort on every single snap and the results are either going to be spectacular or embarrassing.  Zero regard for looking good while doing his job.  Zero regard for his body or the bodies of anyone else around him.  The amount of fun he has from playing the game is palpable.  And I wouldn't necessarily bet against a super duper over-achiever like that.  But I'm not sure his game translates to the NFL.  I'm thinking late round flier who will play on run downs, and who a clever defensive coaching staff can have some fun with, basically using him to recklessly squeeze gaps and disrupt blocking schemes.  Also feel like he has the disposition to be a core special teamer.  Reminds me a little bit of Tyler Matakevich but not as smart and patient.  His greatest value might be what he can do for your locker room chemistry.  Ultra Johnny Try-hard who gleefully embraces the physicality of the sport, but also keeps things loose with his goofiness.  Maybe like a Pat McAfee type of energy in your locker room.  I think some staff is going to like him and hold on to him and use him as an example to get the other guys to play harder even though he's not that good.

FWIW - season of lying...

On "Get Up" this morning they are reporting Bengals Director of Player Personnel refutes ESPN report that the team would not trade #1 pick.  "We're early in the process.  We certainly haven't had any meetings to determine that at this point"

If I'm the Lions, I'm drafting Tua if he's there.

The problem, though, is that if I were them I'd try to move Stafford. Tampa Bay is the perfect spot for him to land... but Tampa will need to make a decision at QB well before the draft. There's the rub. 

There are a few others teams they could look towards for a deal as well, but Tampa seems like a perfect landing spot. 

So Detroit would need to move to #2 to guarantee Burrow or Tua before free agency unless their plan is to roll with both for a season. But I'm not sure that's the best value to them. I think moving Stafford, even if Tua's health is in question, gives them resources to improve their team that they hadn't had previously. I'd have to look up the cap stuff for it, though, to be sure on the resources. 

Use Blough as a stop gap guy if Tua can't play and surround him with weapons. 

1 hour ago, tibbidoe said:

I dunno. 3 starters and 2 starting DT spots?

The most undervalued thing in the NFL IMO is rotational depth. You need quality depth on the DL to rotate through and last a whole game.

Now, you can definitely have those depth pieces be guys like Settle, but if your backup End and DT is Allen and Kerrigan, who would start on almost every other team, that's a massive, massive strength. Your DL will be rested all game long. Not to mention the insurance on injuries. It will only be sustainable for 2 or so years, so we should take advantage.

48 minutes ago, KDawg said:

The problem, though, is that if I were them I'd try to move Stafford. Tampa Bay is the perfect spot for him to land... but Tampa will need to make a decision at QB well before the draft. There's the rub.

Sooo interesting that this is coming around now. These are the type of story-lines that could be so interesting to follow over the next 1-2 months that really could make the Skins a true power-player.

If Detroit really wants Tua ... they should just call the Skins and say hey ... we know you want Chase Young .... but if the medicals check out on Tua will you agree to swap 2 and 3 with us and we give you our 2nd round pick. Skins can then say, sure ... Detroit can then entertain the option of trading Stafford. Whether or not that is to Tampa or if they let him ride one more year while Tua recovers, I think that could be a logical win-win for everyone.

Pure dream scenario for us, too, if that unfolds. I would even take their 3rd and 4th round pick, TBH. I want Chase, so anything we can get + Chase is a win/win.

I wonder if there is also a scenario where Skins say yes, we would love to entertain that offer should Tua check out. If you aren't super comfortable taking him at #2 after medical reviews please help us work a 3-way trade with Miami that gets us #3 and Miami #2, and us an extra pick. Which ties into the scenario I have thrown around that gets Detroit #5 and #18 ... and gets us #3 and Dolphins #37. That really is a scenario where everyone wins, but maybe nobody gets a windfall of picks. Detroit getting #5 (Okudah or Simmons or Thomas) + #18 is huge value. Skins getting a 2nd and Chase is huge value. And Dolphins going from #2 to #5 while keeping their other 1st (26 I think) and both #1s in 2021 is a big win for them while securing Tua.

My ideal draft scenario.

Bengals take Burrow with #1

A couple teams get really excited about Tua.  Miami believes that Detroit will take Tua 3rd.  Makes a lot of noise and an offer to Redskins to jump to 2.  Detroit hears all this and offers their first (3rd) and second (35) to jump to #2.

Skins accept.

Lions draft Tua with the #2.

Skins draft Chase Young #3 and added a second round pick.

i can dream can't I.

The Redskins would be fools to trade down with the Lions IMO.  The GM and HC are both on the hot seat and need pass rush help more than any other team in the league. There’s no rule against lying to the Redskins, saying they’d take Tua then just taking Young.  Sure, it’d be frowned upon, but who cares if the alternative is getting fired after another season with the league’s worst pass rush? It’s not exactly like Patricia is a stranger to “cheating” anyway. 

1 hour ago, mhd24 said:

I could see Tampa trading for Stafford.  Arians wants to win now.  Stafford with THOSE WRs???  Tampa could trade #14+2021 2nd for Stafford.  Detroit takes Tua and takes Kinlaw at #14 to shore up their d-line or Henderson to shore up their CB.

Maybe though the rumor is right now they might sign Rivers. 

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

There are a few others teams they could look towards for a deal as well, but Tampa seems like a perfect landing spot. 

So Detroit would need to move to #2 to guarantee Burrow or Tua before free agency unless their plan is to roll with both for a season. But I'm not sure that's the best value to them. I think moving Stafford, even if Tua's health is in question, gives them resources to improve their team that they hadn't had previously. I'd have to look up the cap stuff for it, though, to be sure on the resources. 

Use Blough as a stop gap guy if Tua can't play and surround him with weapons. 

Patricia is on the hottest of hotseats. I don't know if they're gonna have the stomach for a 6-10 season under a rookie (no matter how talented)

If they take Tua it would be to sit on him for a year so they can get out from underneath Stafford's massive $33 mil cap hit next year. I think I read cutting him that season gives a dead cap hit of around $12 mil iirc..

They need a plan for the future, while saving their asses right now. Stafford stays for a year, with Tua learning ala Mahomes and steps in next season.. at least that's my view, assuming Stafford leads them to 8-10 wins next year.

7 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

The Redskins would be fools to trade down with the Lions IMO.  The GM and HC are both on the hot seat and need pass rush help more than any other team in the league. There’s no rule against lying to the Redskins, saying they’d take Tua then just taking Young.  Sure, it’d be frowned upon, but who cares if the alternative is getting fired after another season with the league’s worst pass rush? It’s not exactly like Patricia is a stranger to “cheating” anyway. 

their credibility would be shot to **** as a FO if they made a conditional promise and then said haha, **** you and did their own thing. Nobody would trust them to do any kind of deal for years.. or if they did, the lions would have to pay a premium way above normal value just to get over their reputation.

1 hour ago, OVCChairman said:

Detroit wanting Tua is the best thing we can hope for, because Miami wants him.  Detroit could trade assets to move up to 2, and we could STILL end up with our pick of the litter. 

Agree it would be the best thing.

10 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I thought of this too, it could be a head fake.  the only thing there is lets say the Lions hoodwink the Redskins and they take Chase.  They'd still be leaving Tua dangiling so you can potentially get two hauls for Tua.

I am firmly in the camp of wanting Chase and not wanting to trade back with one (and likely unrealistic) scenario.  That is, the Dolphins deciding to overpay in a big way for the pick.  Following the Dolphins one scenario that's been mentioned while they've been stockpiling picks is they might be willing to use that leverage to overpay for any target they want.  And supposedly their owner loves Tua.  But for me it has to be a ridiculous deal and my gut is that's not happening.   However, I got no doubt there will be rumors of such among other things for months -- that part is a given. 

10 minutes ago, crabbypatty said:

Patricia is on the hottest of hotseats.

The Lions don't have any major free agents this year and have $48 million in cap space in 2020 and $96 million currently in 2021, although they'll have Darius Slay and Ricky Wagner as free agents this time next year. That being said, I think that's a good chunk of money. They could be in the market for someone like Ngakue or Fowler in free agency to pair with Flowers. I could see them going the FA route to fix the defense, and then use the 1+2 to move up and take Tua.

In a way, it buys Patricia some time. He could go the FA route to shore up the defense and get guys who can trust to turn things around there, then draft Tua to free up future cap space + create hope should 2020 be a middling season.

If in the end the difference is having someone like Okudah or Tua ... I bet he'd feel better long-term if he had the franchise QB he could sell as the future over a shut-down CB who may impact 1-2 games in a likely already lost season.

If the Lions can go 8-8 next year and have Tua in the fold, I think Patricia is safe ... v. going 9-7 with Stafford and no Tua behind him ... if that makes sense.

I don't care if Tua is the best QB prospect since Luck. Any injury concern is just too much to worry about. It's been such a thorn in our side. Especially on Offense.

One of the best LTs, He's barely played 66% of the games he could have. Reed? I can kind of remember him being good. Our RBs? CT, Guise, Love? 

Our offensive starters are so inconsistent for so long, we have to put injury concerns at the top of the flag list.

6 minutes ago, crabbypatty said:

their credibility would be shot to **** as a FO if they made a conditional promise and then said haha, **** you and did their own thing. Nobody would trust them to do any kind of deal for years.. or if they did, the lions would have to pay a premium way above normal value just to get over their reputation.

And it would all be worth it, at least for the current regime. 

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I thought of this too, it could be a head fake.  the only thing there is lets say the Lions hoodwink the Redskins and they take Chase.  They'd still be leaving Tua dangiling so you can potentially get two hauls for Tua.

I am firmly in the camp of wanting Chase and not wanting to trade back with one (and likely unrealistic) scenario.  That is, the Dolphins deciding to overpay in a big way for the pick.  Following the Dolphins one scenario that's been mentioned while they've been stockpiling picks is they might be willing to use that leverage to overpay for any target they want.  And supposedly their owner loves Tua.  But for me it has to be a ridiculous deal and my gut is that's not happening.   However, I got no doubt there will be rumors of such among other things for months -- that part is a given. 

Agreed. But one thing not many people are talking about when it comes to the Dolphins is that they could use all that draft currency they currently have and build on it even more by trading down from #5 and getting a haul to add to their 2021 war chest. If I’m that FO I would rather gamble on having enough ammo to get Trevor Lawrence or Fields in 2021 (if they don’t finish with a bottom two record themselves, which is definitely a strong possibility) rather than gambling on Tua’s health or on fixing Herbert’s inconsistency. Maybe that’s just me though. 

Archived