Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

9 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

An NFL insider type said today he thinks Henry and Hooper get franchised and the TE Fa market won't be that hot.  If so I am guessing a TE is coming in the 3rd or 4th round. 

Atlanta would have to be creative to get Hooper under the cap, but I guess they could make it work.

If this were to happen, I would ask the Rams what it would cost in a trade for Gerald Everett.  He's 25 years old, and was billed as the next Jordan Reed in his pre-draft process. 

While he hasn't exactly hit those heights, he's been much healthier than Reed and was PFF's 11th ranked TE last year.  Plus, the Rams already have a stud at TE in Tyler Higbee (PFF's 3rd ranked TE) and could really use some extra draft capital as they are without a 1st round pick this year and I think next year too.

Or we could trade for Hayden Hurst (12th PFF TE) or Nick Boyle (13th PFF TE) in Baltimore, who already have Mark Andrews as their stud TE.

The bottom line is, we'll have options if we are really focused on upgrading the TE position outside of just the draft.

21 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Possible, for sure. And for what it's worth, i think we will hit TE in the draft and FA. I could see a Hooper or Henry or Ebron + a 3rd to 5th round TE very easily.

TEs, even the best ones, don't typically impact the game much their rookie and 2nd years. Kittle broke out in Year 2. I think Kelce truly broke out in Year 3. I fully expect Hockenson and Fant to have monster 2nd years in Detroit and Denver. Jordan Reed didn't impact the games until his 3rd year. It's just a positional thing that is pretty consistently true.

So i think you hope you have something in Hentges, you have a steady, boring TE3 in Sprinkle ... you go get a TE who can make an immediate impact and draft a guy to groom long-term.

Most TEs take time, I agree.  Some hit it fast like Engram for the Giants.  Noah Fant got off to a good start, etc.

I have to really sit and watch these TEs some more.  They are different kind of players so their skill sets aren't identical but a lot of them strike me B level players who I think can develop into being more than that.  Kmet, Pinckney, Harrison Bryant, Trautman, Hopkins.  The only one I am out on is Hunter Bryant.  Hunter might be the best receiver in that mix so am not down on him as a player but to me he's more of an oversized receiver than a true TE.  T. Moss worries me some reading about the plate in his foot.    And i still need to watch more.

It feels to me similar to how I among others liked some of the Tier B receivers in the last class where there where a bunch I said i'd be happy with and ironically McLaurin was one of the ones I pushed.   I haven't really figured out how to rank these TEs but on first blush they look very close.  So for example if Trautman is gone when the third round pick is up, I'd still be happy with Hopkins, etc. 

8 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Atlanta would have to be creative to get Hooper under the cap, but I guess they could make it work.

If this were to happen, I would ask the Rams what it would cost in a trade for Gerald Everett.  He's 25 years old, and was billed as the next Jordan Reed in his pre-draft process. 

While he hasn't exactly hit those heights, he's been much healthier than Reed and was PFF's 11th ranked TE last year.  Plus, the Rams already have a stud at TE in Tyler Higbee (PFF's 3rd ranked TE) and could really use some extra draft capital as they are without a 1st round pick this year and I think next year too.

Or we could trade for Hayden Hurst (12th PFF TE) or Nick Boyle (13th PFF TE) in Baltimore, who already have Mark Andrews as their stud TE.

The bottom line is, we'll have options if we are really focused on upgrading the TE position outside of just the draft.

I guess you got OJ Howard out there, too.  In this draft I am hoping to keep the third rounder and the two 4 round picks, etc with us already missing the 2nd.

11 minutes ago, PlayAction said:

I don't really care about the first round picks since it seems like a done deal at this point that the Skins will be picking Chase Young if he's available.  So the draft really begins in the third round.  One pick at the top and maybe one pick at the bottom if the Skins get a comp pick.  In the third round any trade downs will likely only net an additional pick in the 5th so it's probably not worth it if highly rated players are available.  With another allegedly deep draft at WR I think it likely that some players that we think are lower first round or certainly second round will still be available in the 3rd.  It happened last year and teams were loading up on WR.  Unfortunately, that may also be where the best TEs start to be picked.  

Our comp. pick is projected at the end of R4.

Right now we have

1, 3, 4, 4, 5, 7, 7

I agree that the draft starts in the 3rd. But I think we can try to acquire some extra 4s and 5s if we can trade back with our 3rd.

I too am in agreement that we should go WR in R3. If we address CB, FS and TE in free agency, and can bring back Scherff and Trent, then I am looking to use our 3/4/4/5 on a combination of WR, TE, LB, OT. Of course, the earlier we go WR the better. I love our young WRs but I think everyone is just assuming we are set at WR with Harmon, McLaurin and Sims. We should add another young WR in a deep WR class and make sure Haskins has full support at WR.

9 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I guess you got OJ Howard out there, too.  In this draft I am hoping to keep the third round and the two 4 round picks, etc with us already missing the 2nd.

Yeah, as has been mentioned though, it will most likely take a few years for any TE we draft this year to develop into a legit starter. So why not use one of those 4th’s on a TE that has already gone through his first two or three years in the league and should be ready to hit his prime this year?  While we would lose some years with the TE on his rookie deal, I think the help it would give Haskins and this offense in his (its) formative stages would be worth it.

1 minute ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Yeah, as has been mentioned though, it will mostly likely take a few years for any TE we draft this year to develop into a legit starter. So why not use one of those 4th’s on a TE that has already gone through his first two or three years in the league and should be ready to hit his prime this year?  While we would lose some years with the TE on his rookie deal, I think the help it would give Haskins and this offense in his (its) formative stages would be worth it.

You could probably get OJ Howard for a 5th and a conditional pick in 2021. I'd be all for it.

Just now, JamesMadisonSkins said:

You could probably get OJ Howard for a 5th and a conditional pick in 2021. I'd be all for it.

I would be too if that was the price. But I remember hearing at last year’s trade deadline that Tampa wasn’t willing to trade him for anything less than a 2nd.  Which they’d never get. 

25 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

My ideal scenario is that we blitz FA and add 3 or 4 quality starters. 

Totally negates the need to overthink the draft with Young just sitting in the green room waiting to be picked.

Now that my eyes have been opened by OVCChairman and JamesMadisonSkins, the Redskins can get their 3 or 4 quality FAs, get the #3 pick in the second round along with one or two more picks, and Chase Young.  It's about leverage.  They have 3 months to think this through before they are on the clock.  

The draft could get real crazy as soon as the Redskins are on the clock........................ or not.😉

4 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

If we address CB, FS and TE in free agency, and can bring back Scherff and Trent, then I am looking to use our 3/4/4/5 on a combination of WR, TE, LB, OT.

I would love us to go CB, FS and TE in free agency whilst boxing off the OL as above.

I would ideally go ILB in the 3rd and then a combination of WR/RB/TE in 4/4/5.

I don't get why Lions would want to trade up to #2? 

1. Lions know the Skins are not in a market for Tua

2. Young is a consensus once in a lifetime DE that all teams are craving and Skins should take and Lions know that

3. There has to be another team that is willing to move up to #2 to draft Tua and offer more draft capital (none so far)

4. Lions are not desperate for a QB and Stafford has a huge cap hit for next 2 years

5. Patricia is on the hot seat going into 2020 and Tua may well be on the IR for the whole year, meaning the pick has no impact on their season in 2020.

6. Moving up to #2 means they lose more picks that they could use to strengthen their roster and depth in 2020

2. Young is a consensus once in a lifetime DE that all teams are craving and Skins should take and Lions know that

3. There has to be another team that is willing to move up to #2 to draft Tua and offer more draft capital (none so far)

4. Lions are not desperate for a QB and Stafford has a huge cap hit for next 2 years

5. Patricia is on the hot seat going into 2020 and Tua may well be on the IR for the whole year, meaning the pick has no impact on their season in 2020.

6. Moving up to #2 means they lose more picks that they could use to strengthen their roster and depth in 2020

1.  We dont have to be, was just need someone else willing to move up to 2

2. That's the beauty of dealing with Det... if they're hot for Tua, we still get Young. 

3. Miami and Oakland both have the capital to move up.  Miami has 3 first round picks (5, 18, 26) and Oakland has 2 (12, 19).  Miami also has 2 second round picks

4.  If Det cuts Stafford AFTER 2020, then his cap number over the final 3 years (2021, 2022, 2023) goes from $56 mil to a total of $13.6 mil in dead cap. That's a savings of $43 mil AND your starting QB is on a rookie deal.  This means you ride Stafford for 2020, allow Tua to fully rehab, essentially Redshirt a year, and be ready to go 2021.

5.  More of a reason to look at a QB while still having your incumbent starter on the roster.  There's no 'transition' period (hopefully) and you get out from under Stafford's big number. 

6.  Minimal.  They could likely (as others have mentioned) get it for their 2020 2nd and a 2021 2nd or 3rd, which is actually WAAYY under value.  If they fall in love with the idea of Tua... I don't think any of this is out of the question. 

i don't understand all the fluff here.. 

1. Lions love Stanford and dont need a QB, if they were to trade for #2 (which would be incredibly stupid) it would be to get Chase, but their Oline sucks so they can sit at 3 and get the best O tackle or trade back with Miami and still get one of the top oline prospects.

2. Miami can most likely sit at #5 and still get TUA. But if they get a bug up their butt they can move to pick 3 Via Lions...

a. then they could possibly trade up to 2 with Skins to insure they get Tua and Skins will do the deal because they are assured of getting Chase - but i see very little value for Miami to do this since they know Skins love Chase and wont draft Tua, also 99% sure they wont trade pick to any other team since they would lose chase

1 hour ago, SamoaSkinz said:

I don't get why Lions would want to trade up to #2? 

If Detroit wants Tua.  I mean really wants Tua.  And are willing to give up at least their second-round pick, the Redskins will make that deal.  That can absolutely happen.  We are talking about a possible franchise QB for at least a decade.  Detroit is in the catbird seat.

If Detroit ASSURED us that they'd take Tua at 2, I'd want the Chicago SF trade where Chicago traded up for Tribuski:  2020 3rd+2020 4th+2021 3rd.

If Detroit lied, then I'd want #18 from Miami to get Tua and drop to 5 and take Okudah/Simmons.

Is #5+#18+#67+Detroit 4th+Detroit 2021 3rd enough to pass on Chase Young?

6 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

If Detroit ASSURED us that they'd take Tua at 2, I'd want the Chicago SF trade where Chicago traded up for Tribuski:  2020 3rd+2020 4th+2021 3rd.

If Detroit lied, then I'd want #18 from Miami to get Tua and drop to 5 and take Okudah/Simmons.

If Detroit isn't starting with their #3 pick in the second, there will be no deal.  If that is added to the haul (in place of a 3rd or 4th), I could get over losing Young.

On 3/14/2019 at 1:25 AM, volsmet said:

Perhaps the most underrated prospect in the draft, Kingsley KeKe. He’s going to be a good player in the league.

11 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

The team trading with us would inform us of who they were selecting. 

Archived