Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

We had no choice with Bailey...

We had no choice and I personally love what Portis gave us. He was a leader and personality other players loved. He was a great lock room guy and was willing to add weight or lose weight to do what the team wanted him to do. He also was one of the best blocking backs too. One of my all time favorite players.

5 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

I actually think he looks pretty great as a receiver. Very good length. Very good at high pointing the ball and hand catching. Good speed and quickness. I could see him being an immediate impact receiver on this team. Whether he can block or not is a whole other matter. In any case, I wouldn't mind him in the 3rd or 4th. 

Agree. He’d be my choice but I’m hoping FA initially fills that void so that we don’t have to reach in the draft. I don’t want a TE with our third rounder.

6 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I talked about Queen a couple of pages or so back.  Cliff notes:  I really like him.  I doubt he lasts to the 4th.  I think we'd be lucky to get him in the early 3rd.  Plays fasts, sideline to sideline speed. Good in coverage.  They blitz him some -- both up the middle and via the outside. He's a decent tackler albeit he's not a thumper.  He's a bit undersized so here I think he'd be a weak side OLB or nickel MLB versus base defense MLB.   I think he's going to be a good player.

Perfect, he sounds like a piece to the puzzle we could really use. Im not sure a thumper (like Patrick Willis for example) is needed as much nowadays anyway. 

Seems like he's riding the high from his great national championship game, do you think he would have been a 1st rounder had he stayed for another year?

30 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Agree. He’d be my choice but I’m hoping FA initially fills that void so that we don’t have to reach in the draft. I don’t want a TE with our third rounder.

I’m all but certain we won’t pick a TE in the 3rd, but... that’s kind of been our lucky spot with Cooley and Reed both being 3rd rounders.  

On a related note, I’m actually not as worried about TE for two reasons.  First off, I actually kind of like Hentges and (to a lesser extent) Sprinkle to find the open holes in zone coverage.  If a D goes with man coverage, McLaurin and Sims are dangerous receivers, Harmon isn’t a slouch, and I’m imagining we find another talented receiver in the draft.  On top of that, I have some faith in Guice and Love in this area as well.  Man coverage also likely makes it tougher for corners to step up in run support.  Second, I’m a fan of Hentges as a run blocker.  Again, less so Sprinkle, but at least he’s no Jordan Reed.  
Don’t get me wrong, I’ve wanted an all around good TE for years, I’m just not feeling super antsy about the position ATM.  I also don’t think it’s that difficult to find a plus receiving weapon at the position to complement our current guys (Caleb Wilson, for example could be an asset if used correctly).  
With all of that said, Turner mentioned the importance of the TE position for his offense and the fact that we would look to FA to address it, so it’s obviously a position of some concern to him.  

4 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Yeah, for sure. But I don't know if what the Chargers could offer to move to #2 would > what the Dolphins would give us. And to move to #6 may take you out of getting Simmons or Okudah. Miami likely goes OT or WR there at 5 if the Chargers move to #2 for Tua. Or they take Herbert. Hard to really say.

But would LAC give us 1+2+3 and a 2021 1+2 to move up to 2? That's probably what it would take, because Miami is likely giving you #5 + #18 + a 3rd and a #2 next year.

If I am dealing with LAC I want Bosa and thier 1st rounder or James plus thier 1st and 2nd round picks.The price to secure Tua and make us pass on CY is going to be high.We should want picks and proven young studs on rookie contracts.

Just accidentally posted this in the Chase Young thread. 

SIP, you really warmed me up on Patrick Queen. After really looking at him harder, I think he's going to go higher than our 3rd.

Watching his full game vs Texas made me feel better about parts of his game. His speed is very good, but I don't think he's Devin White/Bush fast. His length looks like it makes him struggle to make tackles in space at times. The play at 1:47 shows both his strengths and weaknesses. He's fast and blitzes well but then short arms/misses the tackle. At 3:15 he also looks like he struggles tackling in space a bit, because of his length. On the other hand, he's listed at 227, but his functional power looks better than that. Watch him stone the blocker in the hole at 2:50, or planting the OT at 3:41. 

In short, I really like him. I think he's a rich man's SDH, without the health issues, and that we could grab him and plug him in at WILL and have another defensive cog checked off for a while. I just don't think he's going to fall to the top of the 3rd. Especially in a linebacker poor draft. 

23 hours ago, OVCChairman said:

Simmons is 6' 3" 230, Jabrill Peppers is 5'11" 215.  Simmons can still play on the LOS while Jabrill cannot.  I dont see the comp there.  

I agree.....Peppers for one is a true football player and has the agility and acceleration to play in space.  

I think Simmons is quite overrated because he can line up at different positions but is not very good at any position.  Can't set the edge, not strong enough to stack and shed lineman, and doesn't have the agility to match up with slot receivers.  I wouldn't waste a top 5 pick on him.  I would much rather pick him up in free agency after 4 years of having him struggle to learn a position. 

Isaiah Simmons is far too risky of a prospect.  Tall and strong kid who can jump but doesn't impress me as a football player.  

46 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Just accidentally posted this in the Chase Young thread. 

SIP, you really warmed me up on Patrick Queen. After really looking at him harder, I think he's going to go higher than our 3rd.

Watching his full game vs Texas made me feel better about parts of his game. His speed is very good, but I don't think he's Devin White/Bush fast. His length looks like it makes him struggle to make tackles in space at times. The play at 1:47 shows both his strengths and weaknesses. He's fast and blitzes well but then short arms/misses the tackle. At 3:15 he also looks like he struggles tackling in space a bit, because of his length. On the other hand, he's listed at 227, but his functional power looks better than that. Watch him stone the blocker in the hole at 2:50, or planting the OT at 3:41. 

In short, I really like him. I think he's a rich man's SDH, without the health issues, and that we could grab him and plug him in at WILL and have another defensive cog checked off for a while. I just don't think he's going to fall to the top of the 3rd. Especially in a linebacker poor draft. 

reading about him, he seems to have really good intangibles, too.  Can cover, can blitz, sideline to sideline speed.  He plays with gusto, is a dog on the field.   i agree he likely goes before the 3rd.  Though our 3rd is a borderline late 2nd, considering we got the 2nd pick.  you almost always have some surprise drops in the draft, I'd be more than cool if he ends up a surprising fall and we took him there.  But agree we'd have to be lucky.   As for him being as fast as White-Bush.   I don't know but i wouldn't rule out him being close, will see. 

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

reading about him, he seems to have really good intangibles, too.  Can cover, can blitz, sideline to sideline speed.  He plays with gusto, is a dog on the field.   i agree he likely goes before the 3rd.  Though our 3rd is a borderline late 2nd, considering we got the 2nd pick.  you almost always have some surprise drops in the draft, I'd be more than cool if he ends up a surprising fall and we took him there.  But agree we'd have to be lucky.   As for him being as fast as White-Bush.   I don't know but i wouldn't rule out him being close, will see. 

He looks like a 4.55 guy to me. 

I'm really curious how chase is going to time. Coming out of HS, he wasn't an elite run/jump athlete. He ran a 4.94 40 with a 30 inch vertical at 6'5" and 226 pounds. I'm thinking there is a chance that he doesn't work out as well as we think. He is blindingly fast off the snap and very twitchy with his hands and in a 5-10 yard distance, but he doesn't look as fast once he is in pursuit mode. Not that it matters that much. Honestly, if I were Chase Young, I might not work out at all. It's not going to help him and could turn into a Terrell Suggs situation, worst case scenario. 

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/combine/_/id/212159/chase-young

Another dude I'd be happy with in the third round is Quartney Davis.  I just watched him.  Good size, good catch radius, good hands, separation skills.  He played a lot of slot, some X.  He looks OK as a blocker, not hot, he does't go full out like a McLaurin or Harmon on that front.

But what really grabs me about him is he's a big target and the dude looks dynamic.  He's a YAC guy and seems to have some real speed.   He is not as polished as Jeudy or Lamb but he seems to have some serious raw talent.   They used him on sweeps among other things and he can really move.  

The clip I added from my own watching which is the one at the bottom here, its the 2nd play (the first one is of someone else) but it shows he is elusive in open field.    He's got a bunch of plays like that. 

17 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

He looks like a 4.55 guy to me. 

To me 4.45.  Will see.  That's the fun thing about the combine, it can clarify things like that.

17 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

I'm really curious how chase is going to time. Coming out of HS, he wasn't an elite run/jump athlete. He ran a 4.94 40 with a 30 inch vertical at 6'5" and 226 pounds. I'm thinking there is a chance that he doesn't work out as well as we think. He is blindingly fast off the snap and very twitchy with his hands and in a 5-10 yard distance, but he doesn't look as fast once he is in pursuit mode. Not that it matters that much. Honestly, if I were Chase Young, I might not work out at all. It's not going to help him and could turn into a Terrell Suggs situation, worst case scenario. 

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/combine/_/id/212159/chase-young

Tough call, he looks fast but sometimes there is a difference between dudes with a quick first step and get off versus ones who are actually fast.  That's why to some the 10 times are more important than the 40 times for edge rushers. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/chase-young-best-player-in-college-football-154802867.html

COLUMBUS, Ohio – The first overmatched victim of Ohio State defensive end Chase Young flashes on a projector screen in the Buckeyes football facility. Defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley hits pause to single out an offensive tackle from Florida Atlantic, frozen in game-film infamy amid an autopsy of Young’s sacks.

Hafley see-saws the film until it stops in the precise place that shows Young vaulting a half-step toward the quarterback an instant after the snap. There’s a tone of pity in Hafley’s voice, as the Florida Atlantic linemen are still lined up perfectly still like a row of folding chairs.

A half-step advantage for a defensive lineman is like a 10-yard cushion for a wide receiver, and Young appears poised to bull-rush past the line with the ease of fans flowing through a turnstile.

“Not one of the offensive linemen is moving,” Hafley said, shaking his head. “It’s. Over. Doesn’t it look like he’s running out of the blocks in a track meet?”

When the film resumes, Young proceeds to barrel around the edge virtually unimpeded for one of his 9.5 sacks, a total that’s tied for No. 1 in college football. The frozen moments of singular dominance have come in flourishes through seven games, as the image of Young’s blond dreadlocks splayed out behind him as he mauls helpless quarterbacks has seemingly played on a loop this season.

Young is a 6-foot-6, 270-pound freak who appears to be darting toward greatness like, well, a sprinter coming out of the blocks. Former Buckeye Nick Bosa compares Young’s skill set to elite NFL rush ends Khalil Mack and Von Miller, two generational pass-rush talents. “That type of get-off,” Bosa told Yahoo Sports recently. “He has that speed first, power second.”

Young’s potential invokes the hyperbole of an athlete that can change the paradigm of the position. Along with consistently mangling quarterbacks, he can also fluidly drop back into coverage, block kicks and has an imposing physique that one NFL scout likens to LeBron James.

...It has become a perfect marriage of teacher and student, as Hafley calls Johnson one of the best pass-rush coaches he’s ever been around. Young has evolved from a raw athlete to a nuanced pass rusher, mastering techniques like Johnson’s trademark side-scissoring the offensive lineman’s hands away to be able to turn his hips and flip to the quarterback. “That’s why some guys make $30 million and some guys don’t,” said Meyer, now a Fox analyst, of Young’s hips. “Chase has the speed, size and flexibility.”

Strength coach Mickey Marotti saw the final stages of Young’s evolution come this winter. He began paying forward the advice Nick Bosa passed onto him, motivating and teaching young linemen like former five-star Zach Harrison and redshirt freshman Javontae Jean-Baptiste. In the circle of life in the Buckeye defensive line room that Johnson calls “moving the yardstick,” Bosa still sends clips of good rushes to Young on Snapchat. Young passes on the message to the next generation.

Ohio State coach Ryan Day noticed Young’s off-field development a few days into summer camp, when the Buckeyes came out with low energy during pre-practice stretching. Without any prodding from coaches, Young got in front of the team and barked at them to follow his juice and energy.

“He’s prompted other guys to take the lead, and you see guys coming out of their shells,” Day said. “In this day and age, with this generation, that’s not easy to do.”

When asked about Young’s physical dominance, Marotti keeps steering the conversation back to his personal attributes. Marotti teases Young that he needs a “hair net” for his blond locks. Young shoots back by poking fun at Marotti’s size-12 feet, abnormally large for a man of modest height. Marotti jokingly calls Young a “newscaster politician,” as their conversations veer to topics like the secrets of Marotti’s marriage. “It’s really fun,” Marotti says. “He’s very inquisitive, it’s like he’s a grown-up.”

Young isn’t naïve to the NFL riches that potentially await him in the upcoming months. He went on YouTube before the season to learn to meditate to help with focus. “What he’s doing right now, he’s leaving a legacy,” Day said. “In a day and age when people get caught up in what’s next, he really wants to leave a legacy here. That makes him special.”

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Former Buckeye Nick Bosa compares Young’s skill set to elite NFL rush ends Khalil Mack and Von Miller, two generational pass-rush talents. “That type of get-off,” Bosa told Yahoo Sports recently. “He has that speed first, power second.”

I mean, this is Nick Bosa saying, "Chase Young is a lot faster than I am." And, Chase does explode off the ball and bend around the corner like a Von Miller. 

SIP, great stuff with your Quartney Davis post. I really think we need a WR2. Harmon seems like a WR4 to me right now and I think the offense really would open up with we could get a little speed across from McLaurin and add a quality TE and protect. 

2 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

I mean, this is Nick Bosa saying, "Chase Young is a lot faster than I am." And, Chase does explode off the ball and bend around the corner like a Von Miller. 

This is probably the best part of the article, you figure Meyer of all people would have a handle on him.   

The natural comparison for Young in Columbus remains the Bosa brothers, former Buckeyes who went No. 2 in the 2019 draft (Nick) and No. 3 overall in 2016 (Joey). Both Bosas have performed at a level that justify those lofty picks, but former OSU coach Urban Meyer says that Young “may be the most talented” of the three.

“The guy looks like the Predator,” said FAU coach Lane Kiffin, mimicking Young’s popular nickname. “There’s only 10 guys like him in the world.”

NFL scouts see him the same way, as he’s widely considered the most talented prospect in all college football. His draft position will be reflective of the quarterback desperation among the NFL’s most despondent franchises. “He’s what you want from a guy who is going to be the No. 1 pick,” said a veteran NFL scout. “He’s a super athlete, he’s massive and he’s been productive.”

https://sports.yahoo.com/chase-young-best-player-in-college-football-154802867.html

1 hour ago, Poindexter said:

I agree.....Peppers for one is a true football player and has the agility and acceleration to play in space.  

I think Simmons is quite overrated because he can line up at different positions but is not very good at any position.  Can't set the edge, not strong enough to stack and shed lineman, and doesn't have the agility to match up with slot receivers.  I wouldn't waste a top 5 pick on him.  I would much rather pick him up in free agency after 4 years of having him struggle to learn a position. 

Isaiah Simmons is far too risky of a prospect.  Tall and strong kid who can jump but doesn't impress me as a football player.  

I disagree.  Simmons is really good at multiple positions.  At one point he led the team in tackles for loss AND pass defensed.  He covered Thaddeus Moss 1 on 1 in the national championship game and held his own.  Hes very capable of rushiing the passer and setting the edge, and hes fast enough to cover a slot guy.

I think youre underselling him big time. 

I'm assuming Trent comes back and we extent/franchise Scherff.

Are there any players with viable trade value we might get picks for? Montae Nicholson? Paul Richardson? Ryan Kerrigan? Jonathan Allen?

Even if it's just for 5-7 RD (NOT Kerrigan or Allen), I'd like to see the new FO/coaches have as many picks as possible.

Ugh. Just watched the first 3 minutes of this video. I think Brooks looks terrible here. Poor instincts. Poor angles. Poor everything. Maybe he looks better elsewhere, but at this point, I wouldn't be interested before the 4th or 5th. I just don't think this is a good LB class. Queen looked sooooo much better than this in my quick look at both. 

3. Who is this year’s Terry McLaurin – a lesser-known player who will emerge as a big-time prospect?

Terry McLaurin put together a solid career at Ohio State both on offense and special teams. But it wasn’t until the Senior Bowl that he started receiving legitimate top-100 buzz as a pro prospect. McLaurin was drafted No. 73 overall by the Redskins and put together a productive rookie season.

Is there a Senior Bowl prospect who could see a McLaurin type of rise the next few months, starting in Mobile? I think there is – Wyoming LB Logan Wilson (6-2, 245, 4.75).

It sounds hyperbolic, but I think Wilson might be the most underrated prospect in the 2020 NFL Draft. He is such a sound tackler with a knack for keeping his feet underneath him to break down and finish in space. And as a high school cornerback, Wilson doesn’t look out of place when asked to drop and hold up in coverage, rarely coming off the field in college. A three-year captain, NFL coaches are going to love his humble, team-first attitude, doing whatever is asked of him.

Wilson’s college resume includes 421 tackles and 10 interceptions, including four defensive touchdowns. And his tape is even more impressive. Wilson belongs in the top-100 conversation and after his play at the Senior Bowl, I think the bandwagon will start to fill up – and you can find me behind the wheel.

7 hours ago, tibbidoe said:

I'm assuming Trent comes back and we extent/franchise Scherff.

Are there any players with viable trade value we might get picks for? Montae Nicholson? Paul Richardson? Ryan Kerrigan? Jonathan Allen?

Even if it's just for 5-7 RD (NOT Kerrigan or Allen), I'd like to see the new FO/coaches have as many picks as possible.

You don't trade Allen!   These coaches are going to come in here to unleash this defense and Allen will play a big part in that.

12 hours ago, Poindexter said:

We're watching a different football player if you watch Simmons and aren't impressed. Or you went in to watching him wanting to not be impressed.

He absolutely sets the edge. He even did that in the National Title game. He sheds blocks well. He is a very good edge rusher. Can align in space and cover, read and react from LB. He literally does pretty much everything you said he doesn't.

After Young, he is among the top of the class in overall defenders.

Where I agree, is that due to his game he does have a higher bust factor than a Chase Young type. He lands in the wrong system and that could hurt him. But in the 3-7 range he's a no brainer.

Archived