Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

3 hours ago, OVCChairman said:

I said it two weeks ago... Detroit drafting Tua makes the most sense because they can ride Stafford's last BIG year and give Tua a chance to rehab and develop.  Cutting Stafford AFTER 2020 takes his total cap number from $56.5 million to $13.6 mil in dead cap if they release him.  

If a team is willing to take on that contract, it looks like Tampa, as @mhd24 suggested, could afford it... with $91+ mil in cap space available.  

Detroit wanting Tua is the best thing we can hope for, because Miami wants him.  Detroit could trade assets to move up to 2, and we could STILL end up with our pick of the litter. 

If Detroit is seriously interested in trading up to get Tua, I would be willing to make that trade for Detroit's #3 pick in the second round.  To get Chase Young and get back a very high pick in the second round would leave me in a state of euphoria.  I would be just as elated if I was Detroit.  This is very doable.  I would not be happy if the Redskins made a trade where they end up losing Young. 

The Redskins could then take that #3 pick in the second and trade down for more picks.  The sky's the limit at that point. 

7 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Super weird draft. Patrick Queen at 19 interested me. I could see him in the late 1st. 

they had Jeudy dropping to 15. That’s downright crazy. If Jeudy drops to 15 and we don’t make some moves to get him, I’m drinking all the alcohol. Give up next year’s 1st round pick plus whatever. Jeudy is going to be an all pro. There is no way we are picking high enough in the first next year to get a guy like that. And Jeudy across from McLaurin would just be ridiculous. 

It’s a moot point however. Jeudy isn’t going to drop to 15. 

That's why it's borderline criminal that Bruce Allen refused to trade Trent for the Browns' 1st round pick.  We'd be in a position to draft Jeudy, Lamb or Simmons at 10, whichever one fell.  If worst came to worst, we'd just draft the best remaining OT.  I try not to think about it too much...

5 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

That's why it's borderline criminal that Bruce Allen refused to trade Trent for the Browns' 1st round pick.  We'd be in a position to draft Jeudy, Lamb or Simmons at 10, whichever one fell.  If worst came to worst, we'd just draft the best remaining OT.  I try not to think about it too much...

That truly was a colossal failure. With the team in position at midseason for a top5 pic, the season is lost. Losing your HC midseason, you also want as much ammo for the next guy and swapping disgruntled vets for high pics is a great start. Should have started shopping guys asap.

9 minutes ago, cakmoney61 said:

If Detroit is seriously interested in trading up to get Tua, I would be willing to make that trade for Detroit's #3 pick in the second round.  To get Chase Young and get back a very high pick in the second round would leave me in a state of euphoria.  I would be just as elated if I was Detroit.  This is very doable.  I would not be happy if the Redskins made a trade where they end up losing Young. 

The Redskins could then take that #3 pick in the second and trade down for more picks.  The sky's the limit at that point. 

Frankly, if Detroit assures us they wouldn’t take Young (or trade out of the pick for some reason), I’d take whatever.  Assuming their GM isn’t a shady sleezeball like Bruce, that is.  Any additional pick we get would just be icing on the cake really.  

I talked about Pinkney earlier this season.  He didn't end up having a good season which most say was because of QB play.  He's a decent blocker, not a mauler but can square himself into the block.  He has some separation skills and is a decent dynamic receiver.  Better blocker IMO than someone like Harrison Bryant but doesn't separate and catch like he can.   But he's another dude that I think is close in the mix and maybe able to separate himself at the senior bowl. 

DJ's first mock.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001097592/article/daniel-jeremiah-2020-nfl-mock-draft-10-four-qbs-in-top-15

Daniel Jeremiah 2020 NFL mock draft 1.0: Four QBs in top 15

Print
  • 2012_Jeremiah-65x90.jpg
  • By Daniel Jeremiah
  • NFL Media analyst
  • Published: Jan. 21, 2020 at 12:28 p.m.
  • Updated: Jan. 21, 2020 at 12:52 p.m

The NFL has released the list of underclassmen that have been granted early entry to the 2020 NFL Draft, ushering in the official start to Mock Draft season! With 93 days until Round 1 kicks off in Las Vegas, here's my first look at how the first 32 picks of the 2020 draft class could play out.

NOTE: The final draft order may change depending on the outcome of Super Bowl LIV.

PICK

CIN.png

Joe Burrow - QB

School: LSU | Year: Senior (RS)

Burrow doesn't have elite arm strength, but he checks every other box, and he's a beautiful fit in the Bengals' offense.

PICK

WAS.png

Chase Young - Edge

School: Ohio State | Year: Junior

The Redskins already have some talented pieces on the defensive line, but Young is a once-in-a-decade talent.

PICK

DET.png

Jeff Okudah - CB

School: Ohio State | Year: Junior

Detroit could easily auction off this slot to those teams in search of a quarterback. If the Lions stick and pick, Okudah would provide a much-needed upgrade in their secondary.

PICK

NYG.png

Mekhi Becton - OT

School: Louisville | Year: Junior

Dave Gettleman loves big, physical football players, and they don't get any bigger than Becton (listed at 6-foot-7, 369 pounds). He is a mauler in the run game, and he's shockingly nimble in pass protection.

PICK

MIA.png

Tua Tagovailoa - QB

School: Alabama | Year: Junior

Tua does come with durability concerns, but it's a risk worth taking for the QB-starved Dolphins. He can sit behind Ryan Fitzpatrick for a season while he recovers from hip surgery.

PICK

LAC.png

Jedrick Wills - OT

School: Alabama | Year: Junior

The Chargers are in the QB market, but they also have a desperate need to upgrade the OL. Wills is a rock-solid player, and he'll start from Day 1 at right tackle for the Bolts.

PICK

CAR.png

Derrick Brown - DT

School: Auburn | Year: Senior

Matt Rhule will be given the time to build this team the right way, and that starts with upgrading in the trenches. Brown is one of the top three or four talents in this draft class.

PICK

ARI.png

Tristan Wirfs - OG

School: Iowa | Year: Junior

The Cardinals need to protect their investment in Kyler Murray. Some believe Wirfs will stay at tackle in the NFL, but I see him as an All-Pro-caliber guard at the next level.

PICK

JAC.png

Isaiah Simmons - S

School: Clemson | Year: Junior (RS)

Pairing Simmons with last year's first-round pick, Josh Allen, will give the Jaguars two elite defensive athletes to build around. He can play linebacker or safety.

PICK

CLE.png

Andrew Thomas - OT

School: Georgia | Year: Junior

The Browns must upgrade their offensive tackle situation. Thomas has some areas for improvement, but he'll be too tempting to pass up.

As for DJ's mock.

You got one of my guys (others here like him, too), Patrick Queen in the first round. 

Lamb is ahead of Jeudy

Becton who I typically see late in the first in mocks is obviously DJ's top O lineman

Simmons is rarely in the top 5 in mocks and that includes Jeremiah

Okudah is 3rd.  Okudah at three is becoming pretty common across most mocks

Jordan Love is a spot ahead of Herbert

One of my guys, McKinney is at 17.  So DJ is higher on him than most of the other draft geek types

43 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Frankly, if Detroit assures us they wouldn’t take Young (or trade out of the pick for some reason), I’d take whatever.  Assuming their GM isn’t a shady sleezeball like Bruce, that is.  Any additional pick we get would just be icing on the cake really.  

True, but I'd use Tua for leverage to get good recompense.  "Miami is offering three firsts"

27 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Jordan Love is a spot ahead of Herbert

This I don't get.  I don't see it with Love.  Why do people like him?

47 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Do we know for a fact that that was a real offer? Please, God, say, “no”. 

Also, it’s a shame Bruce Allen can’t be fired twice. The more reasonable part of me thinks Bruce Allen should spend a full football season in a pillory, in front of FedEx Field. Rotten tomatoes all day. The less reasonable part of me thinks he should indefinitely hang in a pillory outside the building. 

Also, regarding Jeudy vs Lamb, people are overthinking it. Jeudy separates better than any receiver I’ve seen in recent history. There is almost no risk that he’s a draft bust. Guys that run routes like that are almost always successful. Lamb to me certainly has a higher chance of being a bust. We’ve seen a million guys with decent but not rite speed and decent but not elite size bomb out of the league after starring in the college game. That alone would make me take Jeudy over Lamb. I also however think Jeudy has a higher ceiling. He’s faster, and again, that route running. In the right scheme, I don’t know that Jeudy can be covered in today’s NFL. If you can’t put your hands on him, you can’t cover him with one person. 

3 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

True, but I'd use Tua for leverage to get good recompense.  "Miami is offering three firsts"

This I don't get.  I don't see it with Love.  Why do people like him?

Yeah I don't know about Love, I've made the same comment months back.  The narrative seems to be a variation of he's a poor man's Mahomes stylistically who needs polish

1 minute ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

If the goal is to do a trade where the Redskins still end up with Chase Young, Miami cannot be used as leverage.  Realistically, only Detroit can be a trade partner.  They will lose Young if they trade down past #3.

So here’s my question, and it’s only applicable on draft day while you’re on the clock: can you make a trade and ask who the team you’re trading with will pick?  Or rather, is that done and would a team answer?

Lets say we’re at 2 and you get a call, and it’s the Raiders or Miami, and you think they’re moving up for Tua, and you call Detroit right quick and make a deal to go to #3. We’ll, that all falls apart of its a great ruse and the team actually wants Chase Young and drafts him.  

So can you get an assurance when you make the trade you are getting your guy?  

clearly this only works if you are moving back one spot and only on the clock.  

I really think this is going to be completely fascinating.  I fully expect Tua mania to be in full gear and somebody to want to go up and get him.  And the Skins could get a haul, but might lose out on 2 of the best defensive players in the draft if they take the haul. 

In order to guarantee you’re getting Young, you have to pick him at 2.  

I think that’s the play.

5 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

So here’s my question, and it’s only applicable on draft day while you’re on the clock: can you make a trade and ask who the team you’re trading with will pick?  Or rather, is that done and would a team answer?

I would have thought deals such as this were common practice, especially when you are moving down one or two slots.  I don't care who you pick.  As long as you don't pick my guy, we have a deal. 

Does the Commissioner or his office have to approve these trades before they are announced?  

18 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Also, regarding Jeudy vs Lamb, people are overthinking it. Jeudy separates better than any receiver I’ve seen in recent history. There is almost no risk that he’s a draft bust. Guys that run routes like that are almost always successful. Lamb to me certainly has a higher chance of being a bust. We’ve seen a million guys with decent but not rite speed and decent but not elite size bomb out of the league after starring in the college game. That alone would make me take Jeudy over Lamb. I also however think Jeudy has a higher ceiling. He’s faster, and again, that route running. In the right scheme, I don’t know that Jeudy can be covered in today’s NFL. If you can’t put your hands on him, you can’t cover him with one person. 

I wouldn't say he has no chance of busting.  Jeudy has chicken legs and low play strength.  He also doesn't have the spider sense for feeling the big hit coming and avoiding it.  He gets rocked.  He also has some consistency issues where he committed bad drops on perfectly thrown bombs that would have been touchdowns.  I could see him having injury issues and having a Calvin Ridley type of impact while Lamb ends up being DeAndre Hopkins.  I wouldn't fault a team for picking Lamb over Jeudy.  But I do agree he's massive value at a spot like 15.  I had him ranked sixth overall.

@Voice_of_Reason Can’t attest to whether it’s done or not, but if they called, I think it’s fair to say the only way you deal with them is if they can guarantee Young will still be there at 3.  If they can’t, you tell them what it would take for us to pass on Chase (which is a deal they almost assuredly won’t go for).  
Yes, they could lie, but that’s a huge black mark on their org.  Not impossible, but really risky for them to go that route.  

Edit:  wow, I totally misread your post... whoops!

I don’t think it’s the norm to ask (or at least get an answer) who the trade up team is taking.  Too risky for the other team to turn around and tell everyone else to try to get a better offer.  Definitely could happen when trading down a single slot though (as the poster above said), but even then...

32 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Do we know for a fact that that was a real offer? Please, God, say, “no”. 

Also, it’s a shame Bruce Allen can’t be fired twice. The more reasonable part of me thinks Bruce Allen should spend a full football season in a pillory, in front of FedEx Field. Rotten tomatoes all day. The less reasonable part of me thinks he should indefinitely hang in a pillory outside the building. 

I mean, we can never really know for a "fact" unless we hear it from Bruce or Dorsey's lips.  But I'm pretty sure it's true.

I see Lamb as a guy with Devante Adams or Deandre Hopkins potential.  I'd rather have that than an Amari Cooper-clone, which is what I think the closest comp is for Jeudy.  Though the whole "Big 12 competition" concept with Lamb does worry me a bit.  

43 minutes ago, cakmoney61 said:

If the goal is to do a trade where the Redskins still end up with Chase Young, Miami cannot be used as leverage.  Realistically, only Detroit can be a trade partner.  They will lose Young if they trade down past #3.

I don't agree, because you don't tell Miami or Detroit that the goal is to end up with Young.  If Miami calls and offers 3 first round picks to move up to 2, you call Detroit and let them know they're offering 3 first round picks to move up to 2.... and you're assuming they want Tua.  Detroit then likely calls Miami and they get the cold shoulder, so Detroit figures they have to make a play.  They likely assume we want Young, so they know they can come in with a 'lesser' deal, while still trading assets to guarantee their guy. They then offer #3, 2020 2nd round pick (#3) and an additional day 1 or day 2 pick, because #3 still insures we get Young.

IF Detroit doesn't want to deal to get to #2, we can tell them on that phone call that they can have #5 and #26, to still get back up to #3 while still keeping #18... still ending up with Young... if you want to spend that much.  They end up with #5 and 26, we end up with #3 and #18, and Miami ends up at #2 and drafts Tua.   Sorry I went a little madden there, but the numbers make sense.... or am i crazy? 

11 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

I don't agree, because you don't tell Miami or Detroit that the goal is to end up with Young.  If Miami calls and offers 3 first round picks to move up to 2, you call Detroit and let them know they're offering 3 first round picks to move up to 2.... and you're assuming they want Tua.  Detroit then likely calls Miami and they get the cold shoulder, so Detroit figures they have to make a play.  They likely assume we want Young, so they know they can come in with a 'lesser' deal, while still trading assets to guarantee their guy. They then offer #3, 2020 2nd round pick (#3) and an additional day 1 or day 2 pick, because #3 still insures we get Young.

IF Detroit doesn't want to deal to get to #2, we can tell them on that phone call that they can have #5 and #26, to still get back up to #3 while still keeping #18... still ending up with Young... if you want to spend that much.  They end up with #5 and 26, we end up with #3 and #18, and Miami ends up at #2 and drafts Tua.   Sorry I went a little madden there, but the numbers make sense.... or am i crazy? 

If I'm Detroit, I'm making the assumption that the Redskins want Young and would not be willing to drop lower than #3.  If The Redskins make that deal with Miami, I truly believe that Young would be lost.  I can't imagine Detroit doing that deal and passing on Young.  If they did, that would be fantastic.  

5 minutes ago, cakmoney61 said:

If I'm Detroit, I'm making the assumption that the Redskins want Young and would not be willing to drop lower than #3.  If The Redskins make that deal with Miami, I truly believe that Young would be lost.  I can't imagine Detroit doing that deal and passing on Young.  If they did, that would be fantastic.  

Detroit would be moving up for Tua in this instance. But you are right in principal, that if Detroit knows we want Chase and wouldn't trade down lower than #3, then they would just let us take Chase at #2 and then they would take Tua at #3 (if they wanted Tua) or trade it with Miami at #5.

But in the NFL if you have a guy you get him. In this case, if Detroit really wants Tua and views him as the franchise QB for 2021 and beyond ... they may want to mitigate any risk of us deciding in the end to trade down for picks. Everyone has a price. If Detroit knows they can get to #2 by giving us a 2nd or a 3rd and 4th combo ... and just get "their guy" in Tua, they'll do it. Because they then risk someone like Miami saying screw it ... and giving us #5, #18 and #26 for #2. And maybe that's fine because their consolation price is Chase Young. But I would also think if they want the transformational QB and he's within 1 pick of theirs, that they might just say screw it, let's go up and get him and mitigate any risk of a team coming up to take him ahead of us.

Think about this ... if the Lions ended up picking #2 and the Redskins were at #3 what would the buzz be right now? I can guarantee you that the chatter would be "WHAT IS DETROIT GOING TO DO AT #2" ... because there's enough intrigue there that they could be in on Tua. I think there's a very good chance that if Detroit were at #2 that they would be drafting Tua come draft day. Which would slot Chase Young to the Skins at #3.

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

An NFL insider type said today he thinks Henry and Hooper get franchised and the TE Fa market won't be that hot.  If so I am guessing a TE is coming in the 3rd or 4th round.

Possible, for sure. And for what it's worth, i think we will hit TE in the draft and FA. I could see a Hooper or Henry or Ebron + a 3rd to 5th round TE very easily.

TEs, even the best ones, don't typically impact the game much their rookie and 2nd years. Kittle broke out in Year 2. I think Kelce truly broke out in Year 3. I fully expect Hockenson and Fant to have monster 2nd years in Detroit and Denver. Jordan Reed didn't impact the games until his 3rd year. It's just a positional thing that is pretty consistently true.

So i think you hope you have something in Hentges, you have a steady, boring TE3 in Sprinkle ... you go get a TE who can make an immediate impact and draft a guy to groom long-term.

8 minutes ago, cakmoney61 said:

If I am Detroit then I think at the end of the day, I look to what the Bears did for Mitch, except I offer a little less knowing that the Redskins will still get "their guy" at #3.

Chicago traded #3, #67 (3rd), #111 (4th) and a 2018 3rd to move up to San Francisco's spot at #2 and take Mitch Trubisky.

Tua is > than Mitch, but Chase Young > Solomon Thomas

I think you take that if you're Washington. Swap 2 and 3 and get the Lions 3rd and 4th and maybe a 2021 3rd or 4th.

If you are Detroit, and all you have to give up is a 3rd and a 4th to move up to take a franchise QB in Tua (the hype will be real by draft day and the buzz will be palpable) ... I do it. Even if I don't necessarily need him. It's a very easy sell actually. And if you want to recoup the picks, you can simply trade your high 2nd back to the mid-2nd and add back some 4ths.

After reading the different posts on trade scenarios, I now see that the Redskins can, in fact, leverage the #2 pick to get more from Detroit.  It starts, however, with getting people to believe they are not as hot for Young as most of us fans are.  If they can do that, they could possibly squeeze Detroit for one or two extra picks in addition to their 2020 second-round pick. 

I don't really care about the first round picks since it seems like a done deal at this point that the Skins will be picking Chase Young if he's available.  So the draft really begins in the third round.  One pick at the top and maybe one pick at the bottom if the Skins get a comp pick.  In the third round any trade downs will likely only net an additional pick in the 5th so it's probably not worth it if highly rated players are available.  With another allegedly deep draft at WR I think it likely that some players that we think are lower first round or certainly second round will still be available in the 3rd.  It happened last year and teams were loading up on WR.  Unfortunately, that may also be where the best TEs start to be picked.  

Archived