Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Montez Sweat Mississippi St.

PCS

8 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

I'm hoping that having zChase young here can help some in that regard. Chase obviously has his own awesome training regimen. 

Sweat is no stranger to an insane workout, he was much more explosive working with Chuck Smith, prior to the draft, than he was with us last year. Chuck Smith pegged Sweat as a pro bowler after working with him extensively after the sr bowl.

1 minute ago, Vanguard said:

@Malapropismic Depository

You know what’s funny.  Remember my “Is this the best defensive front we’ve had in years” thread?  My timing was so bad with that one.  I should have waited about four more years. Lol

Could be a repeat with Cam Sims, too.

Had a Sims appreciation thread. Then he was cut.

But now, not only is he back, but they seem to value his potential, because first they protect him on the PS, then they use that special activation allowance, to make him active on gameday, IIRC.

So, from now on, when you get an idea for a thread, just set your calendar, to delay it a couple years :)

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Two men uselessly in the backside C gap because KPL can't reach his fit against the climbing tackle, Young and Allen get completely sealed, Bostic overruns the play to get to his fit and whiffs on what should have been a two yard stop, Apke takes a garbage angle and springs the run for a huge gain.  Kudos to Montez for the downfield effort to prevent Henderson from housing that, but we shouldn't be celebrating that terrible play.  Payne spilling that run wide is all well and good but it's obviously a problem when the alley defenders are absolute trash.  Apke needs to sit down.

• Like 3

Also noticed in the corner that Davis gets blocked out of the play when he was supposed to be the force man.  He shot the gap because it looks like he didn't fit properly.

This defense still sucks.  I can't believe the team is going to have to invest even more in it this off-season.  They have got to start nailing these mid to late round picks and free agency signings on that side of the ball, because five first round picks and a truck load of FA dollars has only created a unit where the back seven is garbage and the DL isn't as dominant as they should be.

Allen is having a good year, Sweat is coming on.  Daron Payne to me might not end up anything special, decent maybe even good player, great thogh might not be in the cards. I recall the discussions about him and Vea back at the time.  Vea has been at times dominant, not so much Payne.

I do think Chase will start coming on more.  Though I've heard an ex-player say groin injuries really hurt at that position because it effects explosiveness. 

Screen Shot 2020-10-17 at 7.30.42 AM.png

Edited by Skinsinparadise

I think it’s really, really difficult to judge our defensive linemen with how bad our backers and safeties are. 

Agree with steve’s take above. I don’t really like that overshadowing how good Sweat was there, but the rest of that play was dog ****

Felt like Sweat and Young were starting to win a pass rush, but the backers coverage broke down within a few steps.  QB got the ball out too fast to do anything.

What would it take to fix the coverage for the linebackers?  Can we rotate Collins down in Nickel or Dime?

What about in the off-season?  Free agency priority?  Cause our #1 problem on defense is our linebackers blow.  Followed closely by safeties.

Is linebacker a bigger weakness than #2 WR, or #1 TE, or what?

Sweat has been fantastic, fulfilling his potential very quickly.  Sweat and Young are great bookends, I remain convinced Jonathan Allen is highly overrated by Washington fans based on his college career and draft projections.   Payne has been solid but I'm hoping for more down the road. Matt I is very very good too, he is really missed.  Tim Settle may have been our best defensive lineman for many years until they invested in the unit recently.  

Edited by Darrell Green Fan

2 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Felt like Sweat and Young were starting to win a pass rush, but the backers coverage broke down within a few steps.  QB got the ball out too fast to do anything.

What would it take to fix the coverage for the linebackers?  Can we rotate Collins down in Nickel or Dime?

What about in the off-season?  Free agency priority?  Cause our #1 problem on defense is our linebackers blow.  Followed closely by safeties.

Is linebacker a bigger weakness than #2 WR, or #1 TE, or what?

LB is the most pressing need outside of QB/OL. 

Safety is the same level. TE a small notch below. 

1 hour ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Sweat has been fantastic, fulfilling his potential very quickly.  Sweat and Young are great bookends, I remain convinced Jonathan Allen is highly overrated by Washington fans based on his college career and draft projections.   Payne has been solid but I'm hoping for more down the road. Matt I is very very good too, he is really missed.  Tim Settle may have been our best defensive lineman for many years until they invested in the unit recently.  

I think we’re missing the boat in blaming any of our DL for the problems right now. Our LBs are not playing downhill. Watch teams with good LB units and how they play downhill on the run and get back into their responsibility on pass. They play with knowledge and anticipation. 

Our guys play with reaction.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, KDawg said:

LB is the most pressing need outside of QB/OL. 

Safety is the same level. TE a small notch below. 

I think we’re missing the boat in blaming any of our DL for the problems right now. Our LBs are not playing downhill. Watch teams with good LB units and how they play downhill on the run and get back into their responsibility on pass. They play with knowledge and anticipation. 

Our guys play with reaction.

I knew before the season started that LB was a huge weakness that nobody seems to be talking about.  Run defense is more LB than DL anyway so  agree with you.

But I still think Allen is overrated. Czabe even threw his name out as Washington players deserving of the top 50 player list. I had to ask what has Jonathan Allen done in a Washington uniform that would ever make him believe he is a top 50 player in the NFL?  

6 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I knew before the season started that LB was a huge weakness that nobody seems to be talking about.  Run defense is more LB than DL anyway so  agree with you.

But I still think Allen is overrated. Czabe even threw his name out as Washington players deserving of the top 50 player list. I had to ask what has Jonathan Allen done in a Washington uniform that would ever make him believe he is a top 50 player in the NFL?  

You’re preaching to the choir on LB. I’ve been screaming from the mountain top only to be met with, “Our LBs are fine, we need to focus on corner!”

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 1

Just now, Malapropismic Depository said:

If the LB's are so bad, why don't we see what we have at backup ?

Like Holcomb.

He hasn't played a single snap this year. And last year he didn't look so shabby as a rookie.

He must have even improved on that.

He was injured.

But last year he was pretty poor as a downhill player and coverage guy. His major positive is he has a nose for the ball so he got tackles in spades. Relatively good tackler, too. He's a really solid reserve backer I think. Along with KPL. 

We need starters.

Maybe Cole got more aggressive. He has the speed and desire.

But even if he did, we're still short on LBs. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

If the LB's are so bad, why don't we see what we have at backup ?

Like Holcomb.

He hasn't played a single snap this year. And last year he didn't look so shabby as a rookie.

He must have even improved on that.

I believe it’s expected that Holcomb is going to start or definitely get a fair amount of playing time this week. The coaches fortunately have lamented this point about the backers this week publicly. 

Must say, it’s kind refreshing to see our respective “football people” here share discontent about certain positions and changes follow suit by the team. Not married or romantic to any player. 

Ron in my view has let his ego creep in a bit more than I’d like to see the leader of the franchise, but I’m encouraged by the willingness to tinker and try out different players. 

Hopefully this will always be the case, even when he begins to bring in “his guys”. 

Edited by wit33