Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HH: Coach Speculation Publication: STs Kaczor; DBs Horton; TEs Angelichio; ILBs Rob Ryan; OC OConnell; QBs Rattay; Tomsula $$$

Malapropismic Depository

1 minute ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

What happened with that "100% chance Callahan becomes Cincy OL coach" ?

Cincy is waiting for their #1 HC candidate to be done in the playoffs, so we'll find out then I guess. Allbright has an uncanny hit rate for a guy without a major network. 

I wonder if Kotwica’s departure and the rumored desired departures could have anything to do with the team signing Rueben Foster?   On the surface, I’d think not, but if that was a part of Lafemina’s departure...  Still, sounds a bit crazy, but then again, I imagine most of these guys have wives, daughters, etc. 

Obviously the more likely answer is that Jay appears to be a lame duck coach (especially if we don’t figure out the qb position), and the FO seemingly has a myriad of issues (optics problems definitely, others are a bit more speculative).  

Noone of any quality is coming here.  Gruden is a head coach with 2 straight losing seasons, his job security is shaky at best.  Only a coach desperate for a job, will come here.  No quality coach, will take a job here; that might only last 1 year.  So, I don't expect much change.  

8 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Well, maybe like the Bengals, this big "housecleaning" that was supposed to take place (that this tweeter first spoke of 10 days ago),

is just simply delayed until after the playoffs. Or maybe not at all.

The main DC candidates are gone. 

I wouldn't hold my breath on many positive whole sale defensive changes at this point. 

And as much as we all liked to get on Manusky, I wouldn't put the team's struggles squarely on his back (or the defense's). 

I still think people are thinking more micro instead of macro when they push for the DC change, despite the fact most know the biggest issue with the Skins is the FO. I'm assuming it's the mentality of "well, nothing is going to change up top so any change is better than no change". 

If the GM/HC are in place, then if you have a desire to win football games you need to try to stick with the staff the best that you can for continuity reasons. It's one of the only reasons a team with talent but injuries and poor management can stay afloat and stay in contention.

If the goal is to build for the future, my mindset changes. But I don't think that's what the Skins FO is going for. I think they are selling that they are close to being in the big picture. And so the best way to move forward is with continuity*

* denotes that my opinion changes here if a guy with a big name that Snyder would acquiesce to takes over the defense. At that point, the defense would likely improve at the very least just because that DC wouldn't be walking on egg shells. Any lesser candidate will, in my opinion, result in more of the same just with a different flavor

26 minutes ago, KDawg said:

And as much as we all liked to get on Manusky, I wouldn't put the team's struggles squarely on his back (or the defense's). 

I really don't remember Manusky catching a whole lot of flak (even on here) until DJ starting piping up. I'm fine with GM keeping his job for now. Does he sometimes make the wrong call? Of course he does, every DC can get caught with his pants down. I keep reading about how we need a fire and brimstone type DC. I'm not sure that I 100% agree with that. Position coaches and even team leaders can be the fierce cheerleaders. I want a DC whose strength is being CEREBRAL. Making adjustments and putting players in the right spot, right time, and playing to their strengths.

29 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

I really don't remember Manusky catching a whole lot of flak (even on here) until DJ starting piping up. I'm fine with GM keeping his job for now. Does he sometimes make the wrong call? Of course he does, every DC can get caught with his pants down. I keep reading about how we need a fire and brimstone type DC. I'm not sure that I 100% agree with that. Position coaches and even team leaders can be the fierce cheerleaders. I want a DC whose strength is being CEREBRAL. Making adjustments and putting players in the right spot, right time, and playing to their strengths.

And holding players accountable. ALLOT of players were out of position..against the Boys it was especially ugly with 21..then with SB #26 Giants. Couldn't close any gaps. They were exposed and THEN hardly ever pressured the QB even with their rare blitzes. Manusky wasn't calling a good game after the league figured him out. I read of players saying how predictable the whole team was...nothing "cerebral" that *I* saw. I liked GM as a player..I thought he'd bring that with him as a coach..I thought wrong

I am not a Jay hater or Manusky hater for that matter.  But I do think the status quo is all interlocked right now including Bruce. In the past, there were some people screaming that the problem with Dan's era is that he never rebuilds.  And if they actually tanked, its our best shot of taking off especially if we land the top Qb or 2nd best in the draft.   I've been somewhat in that camp but now its all I hang onto, so I am big time into this.

I know some think its nuts that this team can go 4-12, etc.  We got too much talent, etc.  And I agreed the last 3 years where I typically thought the floor was mediocrity or slightly below but I can see a bad season in the offing now  They went 1-6 with perhaps the same backup QBs who might lead the calvary this season.  Yes the offense was ravaged by injuries but the passing game looked bad when healthy, too.    One Vegas outfit just picked the Redskins as the 2nd worst team in football for next year. And while Vegas hasn't thought much of this team in recent years, they weren't ever that harsh from what I recall.

So while I hate Bruce being here, I still see him as the perfect architect to perhaps lead us to the 4-12 promised land so I don't see it as the end of the world for the moment.  More importantly, I disagree with those who think Bruce is here for life.  I think he is on his last ditched effort.  I've heard enough narratives like that from beat guys (some of the same ones who didn't think Bruce was going anywhere this year).  

Last off season, Bruce more or less said they didn't need to engage heavily in FA because heck look at all those guys they have coming off of IR -- its like having a bountiful FA crop without having to spend extra money.  It's that exact attitude that's needed again IMO if 4-12 is the goal.  Ditto his style (hyperbole to make a point) of why sign Landon Collins for 10 million a year in FA when we can get JJ Wilcox at 3 million a year AND Tom Compton at 2 million a year.  Look Dan, we needed a safety and guard -- heck I got both at half the price Collins took!   Yeah!  That's winning the off season!

I liked the Richardson signing in FA last year but in retrospect I was wrong.  Yes, he did show flashes of what I liked in Seattle but in Seattle he was hardly ever healthy and that followed him here, the dude is razor thin and I don't think has the physique to withstand a full season.  So yeah the cheaper signings or getting oft injured guys at a relatively good deal -- IMO doesn't work. 

The thing that always puts me on edge about a GM and coach who are on a potential one or done year is does that compel them to do a win now move that mortgages the future.  The Alex Smith deal arguably was an example of that.  Do they have something cooking like that now?  i hope not. 

The problem that this team has with some fans IMO is four fold.

A.  The long sample size for Dan and Bruce doesn't give them any rope for "a what if or excuse driven" explanation for a mediocre or bad year.  Some of the FO defenders like to say the fans reaction to a 7-9 season is out of proportion to the record.  But IMO they are missing the forest for the trees.  Many fans aren't looking at every season in a pure vacuum like that.

B. Playing off of the above point.  Both Bruce and Dan have a long sample size of coming off aloof, detached, arrogant and not likable.  Then you add all the soap opera stuff that seems to come with the turf with the both of them -- then for the lack of a better word they both come off uncool to like.   

C.  The no man's land record ends up being the worst of both worlds.  You don't get to the playoffs.  And the off season is boring because you don't have a high pick and hope.  Let alone since they never go rebuild, they never come into an off season with hordes of cap space where they can have some fun.

D.  It's a boring team without star power.  Heck even if lets say Alex and Richardson stayed healthy so what?  Keim had a good joke about it when fans weren't showing up earlier in the season when the team had a good record -- come see Alex not turn the ball over.  And by fans I am talking about more causal fans -- the type of people you need to fill the stands.  I went to two games myself, I'll watch the Redskins no matter who is playing but I am not a casual fan.   I think Bruce misses this point more than anything considering a cheating way to fix this is to sign a marquee FA but he typically doesn't roll that way.

And to some B conflicts with C but i don't see it that way.  If you go high end in FA even if its for just one guy -- you can spend the same amount as accruing your multiple cheapish FAs.   But anyway none of Bruce's business as usual approach is going to bother me this year as long as they don't trade their 2020 picks.   I actually want Bruce to operate like he normally does.   If he does I do think a new everything is coming in 2020 -- and I think it will be much more attractive job if Bruce is gone and they have a top 5 pick and they'd also be closer to be off the books for Alex's contract.

Right now you got little cap room, saddled with an injured QB's major cap hit, Bruce, and the 15th pick in the draft.  Yuck.  I think that will change in 2020 or so is my hope.

SIP - That right there is my hope (kind of - because it sucks for the players to be saddled with no hope) but if we scape once again to 8-8 then meh more of the same. 

My main thought with Bruce is he is being given all the responsibility in the world - now he can show everyone what a shrewd football machine he is - this is his golden opportunity to show he is football jesus and lead the Redskins to the promised land

except it will just most likely be Bruce being bruce and with any luck deliver us to a point Dan just cannot turn off anymore 

49 minutes ago, bedlamVR said:

SIP - That right there is my hope (kind of - because it sucks for the players to be saddled with no hope) but if we scape once again to 8-8 then meh more of the same. 

My main thought with Bruce is he is being given all the responsibility in the world - now he can show everyone what a shrewd football machine he is - this is his golden opportunity to show he is football jesus and lead the Redskins to the promised land

except it will just most likely be Bruce being bruce and with any luck deliver us to a point Dan just cannot turn off anymore 

In a weird way, I consider myself in one of the more optimistic guys here in the sense that I don't see this as us being doomed forever.  Yes, Dan will always be a problem.   But I do think breaking up the Batman and Robin team might make things better albeit far from ideal.   I've heard enough to believe that Bruce at the moment is an even bigger problem than Dan as to attracting new good people to this FO and coaching staff because of his personality and power grabs.

I do think Bruce's job security is mostly about the stadium and I presume it either happens or doesn't this year.  If it doesn't and I were Dan, I'd hire someone else to work it.  

But for those who want Jay gone (me not among them but I am not hung up on it either way), I think it happens in 2020.  I think Bruce is gone too.  I think the team is finally set up in a way where they have a down year coupled with it being the perfect timing for it considering the loaded 2020 draft. 

So i am chilled about everything aside from them doing a win now move that mortgages 2020 draft capital.  I don't really care what they do aside from that.    

One of the worst things for any sports team is to be stuck in a hard place between good and bad.  I think and hope they temporarily take a step back and have enough talent to rebound fast in 2020.  Or that's what am holding onto for now. 

@Skinsinparadise Everything you’re saying makes total sense and I agree that the best possible thing that can happen for the long term is to have an awful season to further force Dan’s hand.

That said, it’s still very early in the offseason.  I don’t believe they will roll into the next season with Colt as starter.  I fully expect some level of splash, whether that’s trading up to draft a flashy QB or something else.  Something that will inevitably cause the team to win just enough not to be picking at the top of the 2020 draft.  I also don’t expect the stadium deal to be a done deal by next offseason either, meaning more Bruce.  If there is one thing the Skins have been really good at, it’s not giving us what we want and need.  So they will find a way to scrape up 6 wins and put themselves in a position to give up the farm for Tua or whomever.

2 hours ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

And holding players accountable. ALLOT of players were out of position..against the Boys it was especially ugly with 21..then with SB #26 Giants. Couldn't close any gaps. They were exposed and THEN hardly ever pressured the QB even with their rare blitzes. Manusky wasn't calling a good game after the league figured him out. I read of players saying how predictable the whole team was...nothing "cerebral" that *I* saw. I liked GM as a player..I thought he'd bring that with him as a coach..I thought wrong

I agree. I wasn't implying that GM was one of the most cerebral guys, just that I'd rather have his replacement be a true strategist vs a rah-rah intense guy

34 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

@Skinsinparadise 

That said, it’s still very early in the offseason.  I don’t believe they will roll into the next season with Colt as starter.  I fully expect some level of splash, whether that’s trading up to draft a flashy QB or something else.  

This could be and I see it even 50-50 or better that it happens.  But as long as they don't trade their 2020 picks (and not sure if they oblige or not on that front) I can live with it.  If they ride with Dalton or Flacco I still think they'd have a bad season.  But yeah they could trade up in the draft.  My point isn't that I can predict what they will do.  But if they stick to the present course, I endorse it for reasons I expressed.

34 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I also don’t expect the stadium deal to be a done deal by next offseason either, meaning more Bruce.  If there is one thing the Skins have been really good at, it’s not giving us what we want and need.  So they will find a way to scrape up 6 wins and put themselves in a position to give up the farm for Tua or whomever.

I think if they lets say go 5-11 and fans go nuts again....I doubt he doubles down on Bruce.   but obviously just guessing.  I think Bruce-Jay convinced Dan that they had the weird misfortune of having great teams that were foiled two years in a row by injuries -- with the stadium deal giving Bruce some bonus legs to his situation.  I think their luck runs out this time.  Will see.

22 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Caifan, the thing I'm unsure about in all these "blocked" stats is, are we talking about our kicks that were blocked, or opponent kicks that were blocked ?

They were Redskins' FGs and punts that were blocked. I should have put that in there lol...

21 hours ago, onedrop said:

maybe, or maybe not. simply precluding someone from speaking to other teams doesn't necessarily mean there were interested parties.  logically this makes little sense but consider the source...

My assumption was that teams didn't compile a list of coaches that would be blocked if another team wanted to interview them, but that they did the blocking once another team inquired about a coach.

1 hour ago, Califan007 said:

My assumption was that teams didn't compile a list of coaches that would be blocked if another team wanted to interview them, but that they did the blocking once another team inquired about a coach.

with any "normal" team sure. my point was this IS the redskins we're talking about so all bets on normalcy are definitely off.

I doubt they make a big move. If they do, it's for a QB. The last two years they've had the injury excuse so they could argue somewhat justifiably that they'd be a playoff team without the injuries. 

Firing Greg would have been a splash move and it's something that i could understand a lot more last year than this year. Not saying i have faith in him or that he's a good coordinator but no matter how you spin it our defense was far from the main problem this year. 

Could there be another Alex Smith,RG3,McNabb or Brunell type trade? Maybe but i see more of a trade for a backup to come in and compete with Colt in preseason like we had with Hogan. I especially believe this if there's any chance Smith plays say by week 8 next year (after pup list expires) 

Otherwise i could see us targeting some players in free agency but not to massive deals so they'd likely be the bargain basement deals looking for a steal. 

So what I'm prepared for is a team that has its major changes coming through the draft and player development. I hope Christian and Apke can surprise us, and that Guice can stay healthy because that would go a long way towards helping this team. 

5 hours ago, Dancing Bear said:

Okay the Cowpukes made it to the won the division, got a playoff win, but decided to fire their O.C..

We just finished another 7-9 season, no playoff games since 2015, but we're staying pat.

Am I the only one that sees a problem here?

Because this team is run by a bunch of hapless, aloof losers. 

I seriously hope we go 2-14 next season. It's the only way any major changes will be made. The high draft pick to acquire a legit franchise QB would also be nice. 

Archived