Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HH: Coach Speculation Publication: STs Kaczor; DBs Horton; TEs Angelichio; ILBs Rob Ryan; OC OConnell; QBs Rattay; Tomsula $$$

Malapropismic Depository

2 hours ago, XtremeFan55 said:

What is next?  Maybe a power grab to become a part owner?

It's definitely something Bruce would try, but all members of an ownership group have to be approved via 24 votes of current NFL owners. With Bruce's rep, it's hard to imagine 24 owners being okay with him being a permanent fixture to an organization already in disarray.

8 hours ago, KDawg said:

So let's do an offseason coaching/FO change review:

-Brian LeFemina is canned, his people quit

-Rumors Tomsula/Callahan are unhappy and want out among others

-Speculation that Allen/Gruden/Manusky were all on the hot seat. The only safe coordinator is Kotwica.

-#FireBruceAllen gets traction

-Talk that Gruden is told he is safe

-Bruce Allen is promoted and now controls the business and football side

-The Redskins fire Torrian Gray

-The Redskins didn't really fire Torrian Gray

-The Redskins interview for the defensive coordinator position

-There is still a defensive coordinator in place

-Ben Kotwica becomes the Special Teams Coordinator for the Falcons. A purely lateral move. 

-The Redskins can't land a defensive coordinator (a position that is actually filled but they are still interviewing/attempting to fill).

-Manusky's balls are placed in a jar on Allen's mantle as he likely cries himself to sleep at night.

-The Redskins hire a new ST coordinator who has finished in the bottom 1/4 of the league in every relevant statistic in the last who knows how long

-Kirk Olivadotti joins the Packers and Matt LeFleur's staff (lateral move)

-Bengals are interested in Bill "I want out of here" Callahan as their OC.

-Redskins are, apparently, trying to re-sign Tomsula

-The "not really fired" Torrian Gray signs on with the Florida Gators to be the DB coach (lateral move)

Did I miss anything?

How much of that is actually true is debatable. Most of it comes from rumors floated by someone on Twitter. Which a lot of people here assume is fact. Either because they want to believe it and/or it doesn't sound that far-fetched. But I keep circling back to the same point. Kotwica was allowed to interview elsewhere while under contract with the Redskins. No one reported this until Kotwica was actually hired by the Falcons. And even then it was the Falcons who broke that story. Not these twitter sources. Similarly the Redskins had an opening for a special teams coach. None of these twitter sources had any info on interviews. It was actually the team that announced Nate Kaczor was hired. So the twitter sources were 0/2 on actual moves.

I get the impression no one is really that in tune to what the Redskins are doing. Twitter rumor claimed Tomsula/Callahan wanted out. But then it was shown Tomsula wasn't even under contract anymore, so he didn't need to want out. He was out. But people believed it. Supposedly the team has been after a variety of defensive coaching candidates from Todd Bowles to Gregg Williams to Steve Wilks to Joe Woods. it's unclear how much of any of this is true. You'll note all the candidates were not under contract, so the Redskins didn't need to ask permission to talk to them. Because if they did need permission, there would be a record of it. But without a record, people can claim whatever they want. I'm not sure any of these people even visited the team outside of Bowles, which there seems to be evidence of. But some people believe all of it.

And look, I get it. People hate Dan Snyder. People hate Bruce Allen. The team has made plenty of poor decisions and hasn't been particularly well run for quite some time. So its easy to believe virtually anything. And some of it is probably true. But to assume it is all true seems foolish and going too far into believing internet rumors. 

With Brian Callahan now confirmed to be on his way to Cincy to be Zac Taylor's OC it looks increasingly likely that the Bill Callahan will be following him.  The original skinny was that Taylor wanted Bill as OL Coach and Assistant HC to lend his experience to a young coaching group on the offensive side of the ball and with the exception of anything official with Bill it all seems to be happening as predicted.

3 hours ago, WelshSkinsFan said:

With Brian Callahan now confirmed to be on his way to Cincy to be Zac Taylor's OC it looks increasingly likely that the Bill Callahan will be following him.  The original skinny was that Taylor wanted Bill as OL Coach and Assistant HC to lend his experience to a young coaching group on the offensive side of the ball and with the exception of anything official with Bill it all seems to be happening as predicted.

Totally agree, WSF.  After the SB is over with I expect Callahan to be Cincy's OL coach and assistant HC too.  Joining his son and former player (HC of Bengals).  This regardless of what Allen said.  Also concerned that we might see Tomsula leaving too.  I hope not. 

Horton used to be a big name years back

According to Hoffman, they are thinking of shaking up the offensive staff.  I've heard before O'Connell might be elevated to becoming the play caller.  I'd like it.  I don't dislike Jay as a coordinator as some here do considering his scheme gets guy open.  So IMO the dude knows what he's doing.  But, I think his weakness is how he sequences the plays so maybe that would help on that front.

-

44 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

So would Dan really hire someone that came from Norv Turner's time? And would that person accept? There does not appear to be a Tampa connection so this may just be a ruse. We all know that unless you came through Tampa, you can't work on this staff...  lol   Ok that was low handing fruit. 

According to Hoffman, they are thinking of shaking up the offensive staff.  I've heard before O'Connell might be elevated to becoming the play caller.  I'd like it.  I don't dislike Jay as a coordinator as some here do considering his scheme gets guy open.  So IMO the dude knows what he's doing.  But, I think his weakness is how he sequences the plays so maybe that would help on that front.

I think adding a true OC with play calling duties would be helpful. I don't have the problem with jay that some do, but some new blood on that side of the ball cannot hurt. 

I still think @Voice_of_Reason is wrong....  JK!!!   He has been beating this drum for quite a while - along with a few others. But VOR has been let's say the more vocal. So fair enough, data says they are spot on. And it's a clear problem. 

My problem is not as much the frequency, as I do not see any disguise. There is very little effort to disguise plays. They run mostly the same plays out of the same formations almost every time with only minor variations - clearly not enough to keep NFL D guessing. That puts all the pressure on the players to execute flawlessly. That's not much room for error. 

Like the idea of an OC coming in. New blood, different play calling. I hope they do it - but someone with at least some history of success. I realize that is probably asking too much. 

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

-

Horton would be a good hire.  Shaking up the O with O'Connell calling the plays I like too.  Both positive move, IMO.  Now we need to re-sign Tomsula.  I hope!!!

keim_john.png&w=160&h=160&scale=crop

John KeimESPN Staff Writer 

The Redskins have hired Ray Horton as their defensive backs coach, per source. Horton last coached in 2016 as the defensive coordinator with the Cleveland Browns. He also served as a defensive coordinator with Tennessee and Arizona. Horton was an assistant defensive backs coach with Washington from 1994-96. He replaces Torrian Gray, who left last week to take a similar job with the University of Florida. There had been rumors Washington was going to get rid of Gray anyway. Grant Paulsen of 106.7 The Fan first reported the Redskins had offered Horton the job.

Done deal.

Whilst I am 100% in favor of Jay handing play calling duties back to an assistant I do think the run-pass-pass thing is less to do with his intended play calling than it is to do with the crazy number of penalties on 1st down which leave us in long yardage situations for 2nd and 3rd down.  Cleaning up the penalties, or the league improving the officials, would probably help a lot here. 

Horton is a great hire.  Very experienced coach and can definitely take some of the load off Manusky and has the experience and resume to command respect from the locker room, I think he is a clear upgrade so I am happy with the move. 

I too agree about Jay being a good offensive schemer as opposed to play caller although some of that is just the challenge of wearing two hats.  Brian Billick always says that other than drafting Kyle Boller his biggest mistake in Baltimore was calling the plays in his final season and doing two jobs adequately instead of one job well.  Jay's scheme worked in Cincinatti and worked when McVay called it here but has struggled when Jay has called the plays himself.

6 minutes ago, WelshSkinsFan said:

Horton is a great hire.  Very experienced coach and can definitely take some of the load off Manusky and has the experience and resume to command respect from the locker room, I think he is a clear upgrade so I am happy with the move. 

How can Horton be an upgrade?

Guy hasn't coached for 2 years.

And that was in Cleveland.

Another cheap hire from Brucey.

You would be an upgrade over Gray, his unit was crap and constantly out of position. 

Horton as a DC does not have great numbers although he was mostly on lousy teams after Arizona but dig deeper and the secondary consistently outperformed the rest of the unit.  Go back to his days coaching the secondary in Pittsburgh and frankly the results speak for themselves.  It's possible that as a DC he was promoted one step too far but as far as coaching the secondary goes he has a deserved rep as one of the best in the business.

Yeah.....whatever!!!! Maybe he would be one of the coaches Todd Bowles would keep next year.

Redskins hired ex-Browns DC Ray Horton as DBs coach.

An NFL coordinator from 2011-16, Horton will apparently be put in charge of running the entire pass defense. It ends the Redskins' not-at-all-subtle offseason search to lessen DC Greg Manusky's power. It's unclear why the team simply did not fire a coordinator whose performance it clearly was not happy with.

26 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

So, we just hired a guy who hasnt coached in 2 years and no one wanted for the past 2 years, and thats somehow a good thing?

We must be really desperate, and incompetent.  But then again I guess we already knew that.

Why not both?  Seriously this is the best the clown show could get, every DC with prospects turned this team down. Honestly any coach who values his career should be getting on the life boats now

Archived