Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

22 minutes ago, Forehead said:

I am hurting this morning, after the last two nights.  Worth it, but I'm kind of glad we're getting a break.  I'm not sure how many more of these my body, or liver, can take.

I tried to stay up to watch Nats Extra. I passed out.

20 minutes ago, Forehead said:

I am hurting this morning, after the last two nights.  Worth it, but I'm kind of glad we're getting a break.  I'm not sure how many more of these my body, or liver, can take.

No break... we have the nail-biter Skins game tonight against the Vikings.

source.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 17

9 hours ago, CRobi21 said:

Players only meeting during the WS. Yikes.

“Ok guys, so here’s the plan: when they throw the ball, try to hit it.  Preferably where the are not standing.  And you guys who play defense, don’t drop the ball of somebody hits it to you. And you guys who throw the ball, try not to let them hit it.  Ok? Got it?  Good.”

I mean, what can you say?  Try harder?  Effort hasn’t been the issue.  Be more focused?  I mean, ok?  

They’re executing their game plan.  They’re working counts and they’ve gotten Stras and Scherz out and gotten into the bullpen in the 6th or 7th inning.  They lost game 1 by 1 run, then were tied going into the 7th in the second. 

This has the potential to backfire, because if they all try harder, they’re going to cork-screw themselves into the dirt when Sanchez throws them a 50mph junk ball.  

Or, if they come back to even the series somehow, this will be hailed as the meeting which changed everything.

Up 2-0 headed back to DC is the best situation they could have asked for, especially after last night.  The Astros cracked the door open with Bregman's error and the Nationals kicked it in and jumped all over the opportunity.  That's what a good team does.  

The best thing about the upcoming game is that Grienke is starting and he's been bad to terrible in the postseason.  I am assuming the Nats go with Sanchez who has been great this postseason but is only good enough to get through a batting order twice.  That's ok if he can be efficient with his pitches.  

The Nationals have played flawless baseball, gotten great pitching and jumped on the Astros mistakes.  Couldn't ask for anything better from them right now and I think the Astros are a bit dazed and primed for a knockout blow.  

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I tried to stay up to watch Nats Extra. I passed out.

I flip channels between that, the FOX/FS1 postgame, and the MLB Network postgame. I stayed up till 1 after Game 1 but crashed around 12:45 yesterday.

I'm banking on the Skins putting me to sleep by 10 tonight.

28 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

“Ok guys, so here’s the plan: when they throw the ball, try to hit it.  Preferably where the are not standing.  And you guys who play defense, don’t drop the ball of somebody hits it to you. And you guys who throw the ball, try not to let them hit it.  Ok? Got it?  Good.”

I mean, what can you say?  Try harder?  Effort hasn’t been the issue.  Be more focused?  I mean, ok?  

They’re executing their game plan.  They’re working counts and they’ve gotten Stras and Scherz out and gotten into the bullpen in the 6th or 7th inning.  They lost game 1 by 1 run, then were tied going into the 7th in the second. 

This has the potential to backfire, because if they all try harder, they’re going to cork-screw themselves into the dirt when Sanchez throws them a 50mph junk ball.  

Or, if they come back to even the series somehow, this will be hailed as the meeting which changed everything.

They haven't gotten the big knock with RISP. Other then that, its not like they're playing poorly, yesterday's errors by Breg aside. Its a credit to our starting pitching for being able to nut up when they need to and get the big out. But the Astros haven't hit well all postseason with RISP.

People forget they were pushed to Game 5 by Tampa and while they did beat the Yanks in 6, two of those wins were walk off extra inning homers so they could have both gone either way.

22 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I am assuming the Nats go with Sanchez who has been great this postseason but is only good enough to get through a batting order twice.  That's ok if he can be efficient with his pitches.  

Except he took a no-hitter into the 7th his last time out...

1459C7F6-3284-40EE-83F0-BE410A3392D6.thumb.jpeg.9645dc89752d3dc4f3b80c30d5b87cac.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Feels important to say that when listening to these players, nobody is talking like it's over yet. They aren't giving Houston and bulletin board material. It's all crediting their talent and their season and expecting Houston to throw everything they have at them tomorrow.

So, like they've been saying...... go 1-0. That's it. Tomorrow the only concern is winning that game and working about Saturday on Saturday. 

• Like 5

I know it is only a difference of 25 feet or so, but I"m glad Sanchez is starting in our park rather than theirs.  I do not like the idea of that butterfly change-up being thrown to right handed hitters when the left field seats are only 315 feet away.

20 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Except he took a no-hitter into the 7th his last time out...

1459C7F6-3284-40EE-83F0-BE410A3392D6.thumb.jpeg.9645dc89752d3dc4f3b80c30d5b87cac.jpeg

That's nice.  But his opponents OPS the first time through the order was .587 in 2019.  2nd time it was .702.  3rd time it was .923.  But cool, no hitter through 7 innings last time out, that must be a predictor of what he'll do next time out.

5 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

That's nice.  But his opponents OPS the first time through the order was .587 in 2019.  2nd time it was .702.  3rd time it was .923.  But cool, no hitter through 7 innings last time out, that must be a predictor of what he'll do next time out.

Clayton Kershaw doesn't have a 4.5 career ERA in the regular season. Neither does Stephen Strasburg have a 1.9. But we're in the playoffs now. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

I swear to God that the Astros are good. I don't know why they turned into my 1986 Little League team last night.

It's a different sport, but any of us who are Caps fans should recognize the "best team during the regular season" having the wheels come off during playoff time.

No one here is grave dancing yet, the Astros have plenty of talent.  I'd prefer they just sleepwalk through the next two games and not wake up.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

Joe Buck and John Smoltz have to be some of the most poorly prepared announcers.....they don't know half of what or why the Nationals do what they do....you'd think in their pregame meeting sessions, they'd sit down with the team commentators and go over everything. It's not like these celebrations are new....they've been doing them practically the whole season :ols:

They didn't even get the baby shark song right. 😂

Fox sucks

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

You guys see this?

Politics aside, you have to suspend an ump who just incited violence, right?

P

What's a suspension gonna do?

People have been fired for less. Gots to go.

10 hours ago, BleedBNG said:

Tex seemed kinda pissed at this during postgame on ESPN. Which of course made me love it even more.

Cant fight that tidal wave of love. It is evolution, and it's coming, one way or another. 

Edited by Mr. Sinister
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

I swear to God that the Astros are good. I don't know why they turned into my 1986 Little League team last night.

Alex Bregman in particular. Even though he hit the HR early, if he doesn't boot the grounder, its only still 3-2. Then had the wild throw to first later in the inning, but by that time it was over.

I think Ryan Zimmerman put it best saying that "in previous playoffs, the Nats have run into buzzsaws. This season, seems like we're the buzzsaw."  They hadn't made it past the NLDS prior to this year, but they had lost critical games in bizarre ways prior...….being at 2012 Game 5 was gut wrenching, and then enduring the 18-inning fest against the Giants two seasons later...….both courtesy of Drew Storen. Then Max had some wacky inning when he came in relief of a deciding game a few seasons ago. 

1 hour ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

They aren't giving Houston and bulletin board material. It's all crediting their talent and their season and expecting Houston to throw everything they have at them tomorrow.

Gibbs_Joe_Action_180-220.jpg?607

"You have learned well, young ones." 

- - - 

I'll be heading to D.C. Saturday. After seeing the prices for standing room only tickets, I think I'll have to be satisfied with heading to a pub or a watch party near the stadium but I am ****in' hyped