Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trump Border Wall Post-Shutdown Discussion (Wall-Fight)

Fergasun

56 minutes ago, Forehead said:

Not sure what you're talking about.  January 11th (or that general weekend) is the time of the first missed paycheck.  

I guess I could have worded it better.  They wont notice a change in their finances until January 11th.  As in if everything was normal, they would not receive their check before 2359 on January 10th.  With the shutdown, they still won't receive their check before then but that is normal.  The change wouldn't actually be noticed 0001 on January 11th.  So while they are "working for free", they shouldn't notice it until the morning of the 11th.  Does that make more sense?

1 hour ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I guess I could have worded it better.  They wont notice a change in their finances until January 11th.  As in if everything was normal, they would not receive their check before 2359 on January 10th.  With the shutdown, they still won't receive their check before then but that is normal.  The change wouldn't actually be noticed 0001 on January 11th.  So while they are "working for free", they shouldn't notice it until the morning of the 11th.  Does that make more sense?

Yeah, that's correct.  Whether you live paycheck to paycheck or not, if you have a budget you stick to and there aren't any major surprises, the pain shouldn't start until around then.  But everyone subject to the furlough, working unpaid or told to stay home, is currently unpaid.

My hope is that they figure this out between January 3rd through...I don't know, the 9th.  I'd say earlier but the current congress appears to have punted on the issue.  Then I'll have to throw myself on the mercy of the courts, since there are a lot of deadlines that are passing currently, and I have no idea how sympathetic the judges will be in these situations.

42 minutes ago, Forehead said:

Yeah, that's correct.  Whether you live paycheck to paycheck or not, if you have a budget you stick to and there aren't any major surprises, the pain shouldn't start until around then.  But everyone subject to the furlough, working unpaid or told to stay home, is currently unpaid.

My hope is that they figure this out between January 3rd through...I don't know, the 9th.  I'd say earlier but the current congress appears to have punted on the issue.  Then I'll have to throw myself on the mercy of the courts, since there are a lot of deadlines that are passing currently, and I have no idea how sympathetic the judges will be in these situations.

Would it be cost prohibitive for a bank to extend some zero or super low interest loan to furloughed federal workers?  Seems like it would be good advertisement at the least.

I'm hearing media coverage of the shutdown. And all of the coverage just seems to assume that it's a fight between Trump and the Dems.  (And it's not just Fox News saying it, it's the "liberal media" saying so, too). 

How can this be, with the Dems being the minority party in both houses of Congress?  Are the Dems filibustering a CR?

(If so, then I think that's a stupid position, politically. Just my opinion, but if the Rs have the votes to fund the government, and the Ds are filibustering it?  Then the talking point that it's the Ds fault is correct). 

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Larry said:

I'm hearing media coverage of the shutdown. And all of the coverage just seems to assume that it's a fight between Trump and the Dems.  (And it's not just Fox News saying it, it's the "liberal media" saying so, too). 

How can this be, with the Dems being the minority party in both houses of Congress?  Are the Dems filibustering a CR?

(If so, then I think that's a stupid position, politically. Just my opinion, but if the Rs have the votes to fund the government, and the Ds are filibustering it?  Then the talking point that it's the Ds fault is correct). 

The dems are so bad a PR its ridiculous. I saw that this morning too. something like 7% blame Repubs and 34% blame dems. They had a bill that gave 25bil to boarder security, President said no, then demanded money for boarder security and the DEMS still find a way to take the blame. Jackasses. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

My question was, are the Ds filibustering a CR?

IMO, if the Rs have enough votes to pass a CR, then the Dems should let them do so. (And if they pass a CR that includes Trump's wall, then the Rs will own it). 

If the Rs have enough votes to pass a CR, and the Ds are filibustering it, then I think it's legit to blame them for it. 

And if the Ds aren't filibustering it, then the shutdown is on the Rs. 

This poll puts the blame largely on Trump:
https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/423051-poll-more-americans-blame-trump-for-shutdown-than-democrats
I think not many people care while the holiday break is on, come January 2 people will start to notice, come January 3 the Ds will have leverage and start messaging hard by passing legislation to open the gov in the House and sending it to the Senate.

Close the border?  Does he not get Mexico is one of our most important trading partners and that could hurt both our economies?  It's like this guy does not care about anything except what will make his loyalist happy, thats what got him elected and he's sticking to it.

2 hours ago, Larry said:

IMO, if the Rs have enough votes to pass a CR, then the Dems should let them do so. (And if they pass a CR that includes Trump's wall, then the Rs will own it). 

If the Rs have enough votes to pass a CR, and the Ds are filibustering it, then I think it's legit to blame them for it. 

Are they?

I've read that there are a few different options that both the R's and D's agreed on, but Trump refused.

Glad to see somebody finally speak to the hundreds of thousands of federal contractors that are being screwed big time by the shutdown.  CBS Evening News did a story last night about all the nearly 230,000 contractors who support the gov't that will be going weeks without a paycheck.  All I've seen over the last five days is people talking about how federal employees won't get paid on time and those living paycheck to paycheck might be in a pinch until the furlough is over and they get paid retroactively.  Look, I can sympathize...that sucks.  But unless you're completely broke and without savings, this shutdown is basically a paid vacation for feds....and during the holidays at that.  But the contractors who support the gov't are out of work and will not be paid.  Sure, there's unemployment...but that's dimes on the dollar to what a lot of contractors make. 

I say all this because **** just got real in my office.  There are 16 contractors (I'm one of them) under one contract here.  Our contract is Firm-Fixed Price and fully funded through 9/30/19, so the SPE of our federal agency told us we'd continue working as normal, unaffected by the shutdown.  But we've been called in for an emergency all-hands this morning, and I've already been briefed by the director.  The SESs in DC got together and decided that we contractors were some of the people that don't need to be here, even though we are fully funded, so they're sending 14 of the 16 people home for the shutdown at 10:00 AM today.  And none of them will return to work or be paid until this **** is over with. 

Luckily for me, I'm one of the 2 out of 16 contractors that is mission essential so I'll continue working.   But everyone else is ****ed. 

Edited by Chew
  • Sad 2

35 minutes ago, twa said:

Was fencing and barriers?

Pretty sure what Trump ran on was a cement wall and Mexico paying for it. We've had fencing and barriers for years. Of course the whole thing was symbolism anyhow...

Mulvaney seems down with fencing/ barriers/ getting less than the fifth of the original funding (and the notion that Pelosi is already in charge in D.C.).
https://video.foxnews.com/v/5984151570001/?intcmp=obnetwork#sp=show-clips

3 hours ago, Llevron said:

The dems are so bad a PR its ridiculous. I saw that this morning too. something like 7% blame Repubs and 34% blame dems. They had a bill that gave 25bil to boarder security, President said no, then demanded money for boarder security and the DEMS still find a way to take the blame. Jackasses. 

Not sure what poll you are referring to here but most of the polls I have seen clearly blame the President.  As they said seeing as he clearly said he would take ownership of the shutdown and won't blame the Dems. Of course as Trump does he went completely back on his word just later. 

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/poll-47-americans-blame-trump-government-shutdown-n952466

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/423051-poll-more-americans-blame-trump-for-shutdown-than-democrats

Edited by Darrell Green Fan

3 hours ago, Larry said:

How can the Dems be filibustering? 

They need 60 votes to pass the resolution. That’s the issue.

I put the majority of the blame on Trump.  But I also put a good bit of blame on Congress in general.  They could easily come to a veto-proof agreement.  Honestly they should be doing that with a lot of issues.  Work together to pass veto-proof legislation and minimize Trumps power as much as possible.  But the GOP is spineless and the Dems suck at controlling their message and getting it out to put enough pressure on the GOP.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

How can the Dems be filibustering? 

They need 60 votes to pass the resolution. That’s the issue.

If they need 60 votes to pass it, then that usually means it's being filibustered. I think the senate is capable of passing a rule that certain bills need 60 votes. (Say, if the bill raises the deficit more than X.)  But I'm not aware of such a reason in this case. 

Reading the tea leaves. It appears GOP are framing this as Trump vs. Dem Senate.
Mitch has said no more Senate votes until there is agreemenf with President.
He is signaling if the new House passes the 100-0 Senate bill on January 4, he won't bring it up in the Senate. Much like Ryan refusing to bring up the 100-0 Senate bill.

I hate people in this country can't follow and see exactly what happened and what may happen.

Dems and GOP in Congress has rejected Trump's wall for their entire 2 year session. Now that Dems are getting in power again, let's figure out how to spin it to blame them. It's shameless politics.

6 minutes ago, Larry said:

If they need 60 votes to pass it, then that usually means it's being filibustered. I think the senate is capable of passing a rule that certain bills need 60 votes. (Say, if the bill raises the deficit more than X.)  But I'm not aware of such a reason in this case. 

You need 60 votes to overturn a filibuster.

And a filibuster is when someone stands on the senate floor and rambles about something for hours. Who is currently filibustering?

There is no need to filibuster anything right now because you need 60 votes to pass a budget resolution. Trump doesn’t have 60 votes for his wall.