Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trump Border Wall Post-Shutdown Discussion (Wall-Fight)

Fergasun

"You have a very big mark on our back, Mr. President, regarding who pays for the wall," Pena Nieto said. "My position has been and will continue to be very firm saying that Mexico cannot pay for that wall."

Trump responded, "But you cannot say that to the press. The press is going to go with that, and I cannot live with that. You cannot say that to the press, because I cannot negotiate under those circumstances."

He went on, "But the fact is we are both in a little bit of a political bind, because I have to have Mexico pay for the wall. I have to."

He suggested that they publicly say they're still determining who will pay for the wall.

Trump then threatened, "If you are going to say that Mexico is not going to pay for the wall, then I do not want to meet with you guys anymore, because I cannot live with that."

ABC News: Trump Urges Mexican President: Stop Saying You Won't Pay for the wall

Edited by BenningRoadSkin
  • Haha 1

Trump's stance is so irrational. He can't act like previous offers for border security money as part of comprehensive immigration reform were stand alone. He's not even telegraphing what the carrot for Dems is.

Is he really going to punish federal employees and people who rely on Fed Gov over MONEY THAT THE GOP DIDNT EVEN GIVE HIM WHEN THEY HAD POWER.

I'm not opposed to Dems getting a DACA fix for $5B in even calling it straight up wall money (the Dems keep calling it border security for their own reasons). Plus something like making family seperation illegal...

Watch what happens to President Fox News if he makes that deal.

GOP Sens are already talking about immigration reform, with one just saying to end shutdown.

Reagan, Clinton, and even GW understood when they no longer had the political will of the country at their back. Trump has doubled-down on the crazy.

Most of the country thinks you are an idiot. Your supporters stand for nothing but anti-government chaos or worse.

Re: Pence and Admin Pay Raises
As a Fed, I don't mind their pay freeze ending.

One: The freeze was put into effect by GOP to punish Obama admin, what a bunch of jerks and hypocrits they want to end it. It was not good public policy -- it was political policy.

Two: It increases the likelyhood Feds get a pay raise. Senate already agreed on giving 1.9% and blocking Trumps freeze.

Wake me up when the GOP feels like governing again instead of pushing failed agenda....

True, it definitely is.

If Fed pay freeze stands, I expect the admin raise to get rolled back when the GOP figures a way around Trump on the shutdown.

If they give a raise to this Feds this will not be touched.

I am just trying to interject from an unemotional political observer viewpoint. The fate of Pence's raise is likely the same as regular Fed's -- doubt newspapers are reporting that because it doesn't gin up headlines.

My headline for the wall is, what is border security/wall funding worth to both sides? Trump acts like he will be able to negotiate the $5B. He is going to have to work with Dems on getting there.

If he acted in good faith starting with the Schumer-Pelosi meeting in December, we would be somewhere. Instead it's the same "winning the PR battle" in his mind. He is in the damn driver's seat. Yet not even Kush or Pence can backchannel negotiations for him because he blew up the initial $1.3B he was ok with.

Remember, this all started because he went back on the original Senate bill.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

Is he really going to punish federal employees and people who rely on Fed Gov over MONEY THAT THE GOP DIDNT EVEN GIVE HIM WHEN THEY HAD POWER.

Wouldn't surprise me a bit. 

They're government employees, and therefore demons. 

As Trump has pointed out, most of them are probably Democrats. 

As as long as people are willing to work for free, there's not much impact on "real Americans". 

And they think they can blame it on Democrats. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, RedskinsFan44 said:

They need to get tape of Trump or a member of the administration saying he is willing to keep the gov closed for months or years. That's ****ing nuts.

Wonder how Putin would feel about no US Government for years. 

• Like 1

Just watched Trump and listening to Pence now -- "this is a crisis at our southern border" -- then why didn't you shut it down 2 years ago.

Hmmmm.... I suppose it would be embarrassing to have a government shutdown with the GOP holding all 3 branches of government.

It is encouraging to see Pence, Kushner, and DHS Head will be meeting this weekend with Senate and House leaders.   

I hope Trump can butt out of those negotiations, "in good faith" (I don't trust it when GOP says 'good faith' ). 

McCarthy also airing the right notes, "areas we can find agreement on". 

Steve Scalise, "this has always been about securing the border" -- nope, wrong notes! 

Heard very little on DACA, heard very little on human crisis (family seps), etc.  

Trump taking questions -- Trump admitted saying it could last "months" or "years". 

Then he rambles on about immigration, dangerous border, tech companies wanting people to stay -- don't want to lose great companies due to policy "we won't accept smart people". 

Q2: Why not re-open the government to have more space?

Trump: Border is a bigger, dangerous problem, national security / terrorist... terrorists have apparently driven right in and "made a left". 

The way Trump is talking is that he wants to make a huge immigration reform package... but then he doesn't sound like he's given any inch on things like destroying chain migration, merit-based system, etc. his wall. 

Q3: DACA / pathway to citizenship

Seemed like he said "yes" -- but nothing more on DACA.... DACA ended when judge ruled against.  Trump claimed it was shocking to Democrats and more to Republicans... incorrect decision.  DACA deal was broken up by the judge. Very small amount of money.  DACA deal was killed by 9th circuit court.  If USSC does what everyone thinks will happen, we will have a DACA deal.  If Obama can set-up DACA, I'm allowed to destroy DACA. 

Q4: Are you proud to own the shutdown?

I'm proud of doing what I'm doing -- it's not a shutdown, I'm doing this for the benefit and safety of our Country.  I was proud of my GOP party to put up the $5B number....

ok... gotta go do life...