Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trump Border Wall Post-Shutdown Discussion (Wall-Fight)

Fergasun

I'm even more convinced the media needs to call out this political stunt. 

He even signed a bill to at least give 3 months funding to the government back in October, right?

So now, the whole damn $2T government has to grind to a halt because of "border security"? 

BS -- this a political stunt designed to "fight back" against Pelosi.  

What a dumb administration. 

The GOP Congress did these types of stunts to halt the Obama administration because they knew that the Executive has tons of power and gets bogged down in these types of crisis. 

This idiot has had the least efficient and most poorly run Executive administration for many, many years (thank the good Lord).  And they decide to "fight Congress" instead of actually enacting an agenda --- I mean I suppose the Trump agenda is "enrich Trump".  All he has is tax cuts and Supreme Court -- balanced by tons of indictments of his own people and potentially his own indictment. 

Worst case this is a trial balloon for the anti-govt Koch types to see how much of the Federal government they can live without... but wouldn't find them publicly celebrating....

Truthfully this is where a place like the "US Senate" with its rules set up for plurality rule needs to come in play. 

All it takes is about 10-15 Senators to talk about the framework of a deal, and pass something that at least will bring the sides closer.

Unfortunately "politics" is in such a BS state now that "Senators" are no longer the "statesmen" they used to be.

Every Senator in their farewell speech talks about how the Senate rules make it unique -- however, it's been a long time since we've witnessed the type of dealmaking leadership needed.  It's not going to come from McConnell or Schumer -- they are too much in the political spotlight.  I don't even know if the current crop of Senators can deal with each other -- the Kavanaugh hearings and other partisan ---- has split the institution up so much....

You know what, let him take the DoD money to do it.  Their budget is over $700 billion, they can afford $5 billion taken out, and if that opens the government back up, so be it.  You'd need emminent domain to get some of the land anyway.

I hate this, but he's serious about a year long shut down, there no doubt in my mind hell shut down the government everytime he wants something.  Pelosi knows this, that's why she won't budge, we can't, he's not being rational enough to even negotiate with.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I’ve become convinced trump is going to get his wall

the people on the left are going to lose their ****

its going to be hilarious to watch (even while recognizing the wall is a terrible waste of resources)

its like the nfl Cba and the left are the players. It doesn’t matter how good your argument is, the other side doesn’t care about reopening the government.

Edited by tshile
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

You know what, let him take the DoD money to do it.  Their budget is over $700 billion, they can afford $5 billion taken out, and if that opens the government back up, so be it.  You'd need emminent domain to get some of the land anyway.

I hate this, but he's serious about a year long shut down, there no doubt in my mind hell shut down the government everytime he wants something.  Pelosi knows this, that's why she won't budge, we can't, he's not being rational enough to even negotiate with.

I agree with your sentiment.  I'll add that #1, just because Trump said he'll do a thing doesn't mean he can do that thing.  It seems problematic under Article I of the Constitution if, every time a President wants money for something that Congress doesn't, he could just move money around from other places. 

“No Money shall be drawn from the Treasury, but in Consequence of Appropriations made by Law; and a regular Statement and Account of the Receipts and Expenditures of all public Money shall be published from time to time.”
— U.S. Constitution, Article I, section 9, clause 7

#2, $5 billion isn't enough to start building walls on land taken by eminent domain, and Trump does not want that fight.  Literally, all Trump wants is to say he won.  Whether a wall is actually built anywhere doesn't even matter.  This is 100% about whether Trump can non-laughably claim victory.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, tshile said:

If you mean get some funding for it somehow, then maybe, but if you mean get the actual wall built, that seems pretty unlikely.  There's a lot of uncertainty as to how much it would cost and numerous legal issues about obtaining the land and building on it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, visionary said:

If you mean get some funding for it somehow, then maybe, but if you mean get the actual wall built, that seems pretty unlikely.  There's a lot of uncertainty as to how much it would cost and numerous legal issues about obtaining the land and building on it.

Thats fair. I guess I was thinking in regards to this standoff. 

He’s going to get his funding. 

Not sure what happens to it if the wall doesn’t get built. 

13 minutes ago, tshile said:

the people on the left are going to lose their ****

its going to be hilarious to watch (even while recognizing the wall is a terrible waste of resources)

its like the nfl Cba and the left are the players. It doesn’t matter how good your argument is, the other side doesn’t care about reopening the government.

He'll likely get a small chunk of funding for some chain link fence bull****, but there's no way his version of the wall ever gets built. The eminent domain courtroom challenges alone will take years. He'll have long since been thrown out of office or died from the syphilis consuming his brain by then.

And I'm with Renegade on the funding. The defense budget is obscenely bloated. Take it from them.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Democrats should absolutely agree to "fund the wall" or whatever (one year at a time, from the DoD budget, etc, whatever is as non-committal as possible) and extract as much from Trump as possible. DACA for Wall was already agreed to only to be shut down by a 30 year old bald Nazi virgin. Now it should cost more. DACA plus minimum wage. DACA plus some other major policy win. Make it hurt. 

1 hour ago, clietas said:

Trump said to aquire the land needed for this wall that he'll just take it through courts. Ok conservatives and freedom caucus members where you at on this? Seems like a pretty big intrusion by the federal government. 

Emminent domain has been around for a long time. Recognized in the constitution. And it sure looks like a legitimate use of it, to me. 

• Like 1

The left don't want to give 5billion for border security but want to spend 1 billion in abortions in other countries and i could pile it on more but you get the point :)  2k per day try to come over illegally, 17k illegal criminals apprehended last year, 3k terrorist apprehended at boarder last year...We have 1k terrorist inside our country in which the FBI are looking at and we call this a very serous challenge for the FBI . We clearly have a National security problem folks !

4 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

This will end poorly for Trump.

NO WAY!

• Haha 2