Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trump Border Wall Post-Shutdown Discussion (Wall-Fight)

Fergasun

Old Topic: Budget Fight (Trump Mantle / Border Security Shutdown))

New Topic: Trump Border Wall Post-Shutdown Discussion (Wall-Fight), 2/20/19

Here we are again, on the verge of a Christmas shutdown. Since it is clear Trump is not getting $5B for his wall/border security, and Democrats have $1.6B or $1.3B on the table, no one knows where Trump might settle. The good news for most Feds is that 75% of funding has been approved... unfortunately the other 25% get to be political footballs. There is also a 2% Fed pay raise hanging in the air (Trump wants a freeze, Senate voted to give it, GOP House also signalled they will give it...).

Where I am at, federal pay period ends on the 21st.... so paychecks won't be missed until January 5th. I am not sure if every Fed is on the same schedule. This could go for 2 weeks... hopefully not too much collateral damage.

Trump is probably trying to get 2 years, 2.5B for wall each year, but right now he hasn't shown his hand. Which means the GOP Senate can't negotiate either -- they need to try not to undercut each other.

When the Dems take the House they will instantly pass DHS at CR levels and the other (5 agency) budgets that were agreed to in bipartisan fashion.

Edited by Fergasun
Old Title Has Run its Course
  • Like 1

One can hope.  I'm one of those political football positions, unfortunately.  I believe my job is important, and there are several outside special interest groups who probably believe so as well, but in the scheme of things, it isn't "essential" which means I'll unfortunately have to watch this closely and hope he comes to his senses.

Trump already caved.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/white-house-signals-its-backing-down-in-shutdown-dispute-will-find-other-ways-to-fund-border-wall/2018/12/18/159994dc-02d9-11e9-9122-82e98f91ee6f_story.html?utm_term=.7563613f62b4

White House says it wants to avoid government shutdown, will look for other ways to fund border wall

President Trump on Tuesday retreated from his demand that Congress give him $5 billion to build a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border, backing down amid acrimonious GOP infighting that left him with few options four days ahead of a partial government shutdown.

TediousMessyChameleon-size_restricted.gi

Edited by PleaseBlitz
  • Haha 3

Forehead,
Always a stressful position... it is easy for everyone else to say "Paid vacation!", but sucks to go through the uncertainty.

The risk now is if the GOP pass something... you know the Dems will lift nary a finger to help (until they get the House). What passes the Senate should pass the House.

7 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

Guys, I'm beginning to think SHS might be stupid.

That, or evil.

Those 2 things are not mutually exclusive. 

Edit:  Tomorrow it will be "well we can just print NEW money!"

Edit 2:  Wednesday she's going to contemplate putting the Mexican kids in cages up for auction to the highest bidders.

Edited by PleaseBlitz
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, visionary said:

Smart.  You gotta tease the season finale.

WILL THEY SIGN THE BUDGET DEAL?  WILL IT FUND THE WALL?  WHO WILL OUTLAST THE REST TO CLAIM THE TITLE OF SURVIVOR AND WIN ONE MILLION DOLLARS?????.  TUNE IN NEXT WEEK FOR AN UNFORGETTABLE SEASON FINALE OF .... *dramatic sound effect* ...  THE 115th UNITED STATES CONGRESS!!!

15 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Smart.  You gotta tease the season finale.

WILL THEY SIGN THE BUDGET DEAL?  WILL IT FUND THE WALL?  WHO WILL OUTLAST THE REST TO CLAIM THE TITLE OF SURVIVOR AND WIN ONE MILLION DOLLARS?????.  TUNE IN NEXT WEEK FOR AN UNFORGETTABLE SEASON FINALE OF .... *dramatic sound effect* ...  THE 115th UNITED STATES CONGRESS!!!

They've already decided to cancel it, this year. They're replacing it with a spinoff, "Congress 116". 

**** this. And **** you if you still support this lying sack of garbage.

"mexico is going to pay for it."
You KNEW they wouldn't.. you were TOLD that it was a lie, and all you did was holler it to DEATH like a good little drone every time he said it. EVERY TIME. 
Even after they said no, no, and no again. Insulted him and told him **** no.  Even after he FLEW down there and BEGGED them like a whining ****. BEGGED them on his ****ing KNEES to throw him a bone to save him from his own lies being revealed. They said NO. 
Threats to shut down the government if WE don't now cough up is what followed, and again another STICKUP for the money to fund his ****ing LIES.

Well, this is one that there is no grey area to weasel out some alternate facts as to what he ****ing said...   he said MEXICO will pay for it, and now when it is 10000% crystal clear for about the 500th time that it is WE who will pay for it, he is threatening everyone again to cough up or else.

**** HIM. 

No respect for you if you voted for this clown. None. Ever. 

Sucker is too simple of a word for you. But it's likely one of the few you will understand. Everyone who ever supported this traversty .. SUCKER.

~Bang

Edited by Bang
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Latest is GOP Senate will fund government through February.

I am going to be real honest about this budget/border/wall fight. For both sides, I think funding the darn government is more important than the little debates. The latest yesterday was that it was $1.6B plus another $1B "slush fund". If the GOP came back and identified how to use the "slush fund", the Dems should take the deal.

Two points: running the govt from CR to CR is bad policy. Additionally, theres a 2% Fed pay raise in the balance -- I assume with a CR, Feds wouldn't get it. But honestly, we have no idea what negotiations are looking like. If the only thing truly on the table is "border security" funding than play all the budget games you want.... but Feds shouldn't get screwed out of these games.

The Dem House will pass a budget with no wall funding in a couple weeks.... even if I was Pelosi I would take the deal.

• Like 3

@Bang
If you really watched Trump closely this entire trainwreck/criminal enterprise administration was obvious. Only in for it to enrich himself, political lightweight in everyway. Pandering to the
white natuonalist/racist crowd at best and a literal racist at worst. Did anyone actually listened to the BS he peddled at his rallies? "The media is full of LIARs", "immigration and free trade is why you dont have jobs", "trust me, everything is going to be great." "The wall -- which by the way Mexico will pay for..." is going to pay for itself.

Has anyone asked about his logic that "building the wall will save billions of dollars a month"? Has anyone challenged him on the fact that the caravan was stopped without his precious wall?

People who voted for him wanted, "not a typical politician", or "I like how he is not PC" (which is code for I believe in white male dominance). But ignored the fact that the guy was a moron.

Hillary was a "boring" candidate and "her email scandal!!!" Killed her campaign. So instead we go with the guy who two years later ran a literal criminal campaign... how many of his campaign people are in jail? and this is only 2 years after the election.

Suckers, Idiots, Partisans... if you are not pining for Barack back or a similarly competent and honest President (regardless of party) you are one of the above...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1