Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trump Border Wall Post-Shutdown Discussion (Wall-Fight)

Fergasun

8 hours ago, Cooked Crack said:

He's no longer proud to own the shutdown.

This may be the worst Trump has ever  come across on Twitter. Everyone, even his base, knows he said he would be proud of the shutdown. He’s completely misreading this one, which is not a surprise since he’s a moron 

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Hersh said:

This may be the worst Trump has ever  come across on Twitter. Everyone, even his base, knows he said he would be proud of the shutdown. He’s completely misreading this one, which is not a surprise since he’s a moron 

They are in thrall, indifferent and unaware of even the most basic realities, I guarantee they are echoing the Schumer Shutdown this morning

28 minutes ago, LD0506 said:

They are in thrall, indifferent and unaware of even the most basic realities, I guarantee they are echoing the Schumer Shutdown this morning

They may try but there is so much working against Trump on this particular issue. I don’t think it will work. 

This budget fight makes no sense.

1) Trump got $1.3B for "Border Security / Wall" last year from a GOP Congress.

2) The Senate was going to continue to give him the $1.3B  -- they voted 100 to 0 for the $1.3B

3) The House just went to Democrats who want to give $0 for the Wall.

How the hell does Trump have any leverage other than media outlets that are mis-characterizing the situation -- or himself mis-characterizing his strength? 

And now McConnell is saying, "We won't vote for a bill the President won't sign..." yes, because he won't sign your bill, which is the bill he signed last year, which the Democrats had no leverage on. 

If McConnell not voting on the bill that passed the Senate 100-0 doesn't earn him hypocrit of the year and doesn't get everyone in the news media properly characterizing the standoff.... I will be raging in a week...

At a minimum, the GOP needs to craft some type of DACA fix legislation (even if it covers 50% of the DACA recipients) and maybe they will get the $2.1B for border security.

They want more money from the Dems, what are they willing to trade for it? 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

2) The Senate was going to continue to give him the $1.3B  -- they voted 100 to 0 for the $1.3B

How the hell does Trump have any leverage other than media outlets that are mis-characterizing the situation -- or himself mis-characterizing his strength? 

Just a reminder that, for nearly all of Trumps positions, there is no “there” there.  It’s simply that Authoritarian leaders sow discord and chaos as a feature of their governing.  It’s what allows them to maintain power.

Its all a schtick.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fergasun said:

And now McConnell is saying, "We won't vote for a bill the President won't sign..." yes, because he won't sign your bill, which is the bill he signed last year, which the Democrats had no leverage on. 

If McConnell not voting on the bill that passed the Senate 100-0 doesn't earn him hypocrit of the year and doesn't get everyone in the news media properly characterizing the standoff.... I will be raging in a week...

At a minimum, the GOP needs to craft some type of DACA fix legislation (even if it covers 50% of the DACA recipients) and maybe they will get the $2.1B for border security.

They want more money from the Dems, what are they willing to trade for it? 

Dems are in a great position. The House should pass comprehensive immigration reform nearly identical to the bi-partisan bill passed in 2013. They have the GOP in a really bad spot now. 

Dems should demand the moon if Trump wants anything for the wall.

Got a feeling things aren't working out any time soon, here. 

Feels like both sides in DC think that the shutdown isn't that bad. And they both think that they are being successful in blaming the other side. Neither side thinks the current situation is a problem. 

And I look at this thread, and I see people making suggestions on how to escalate the fight. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Larry said:

Got a feeling things aren't working out any time soon, here. 

Feels like both sides in DC think that the shutdown isn't that bad. And they both think that they are being successful in blaming the other side. Neither side thinks the current situation is a problem. 

And I look at this thread, and I see people making suggestions on how to escalate the fight. 

This is NOT a both sides issue. This is a Trump won't sign anything unless he gets money for a wall issue. The GOP party doesn't want this fight. The Dems are going to pass the same budget the Senate already passed. This might be the dumbest of all shutdowns in recent history. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, Hersh said:

This is NOT a both sides issue. This is a Trump won't sign anything unless he gets money for a wall issue. 

Are there 51 votes in the Senate to give him that?  

(I suspect there's not. But I'd be willing to put it to a vote, and see.)

9 minutes ago, Larry said:

Are there 51 votes in the Senate to give him that?  

(I suspect there's not. But I'd be willing to put it to a vote, and see.)

The Senate already passed a CR with no wall money. The fact that they wouldn't do it again is on the GOP, not of the Dems. 

Edited by Hersh
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Hersh said:

The Senate already passed a CR with no wall money. The fact that they wouldn't do it again is on the GOP, not of the Dems. 

Just out of curiosity, why did you quote me if you have no intention of answering my question?  

:) 

32 minutes ago, Larry said:

Just out of curiosity, why did you quote me if you have no intention of answering my question?  

:) 

There are more than 51 votes to pass a CR. Though I think they need 60. The problem is that McConnell won’t bring another bill to the floor cause the GOP has abdicated their responsibility to pass bills without worrying about whether Trump would sign the bill. Heck, there are enough votes on both sides to overturn a veto. 

Edited by Hersh
  • Thanks 1