Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trump Border Wall Post-Shutdown Discussion (Wall-Fight)

Fergasun

20 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

LOL, Democrats shouldn’t offer him ****. Congress (both chambers) already passed a funding bill on December 19. It was unanimous in the Seante, I believe. Trump torpedoed it. House Dems should pass the same bill every ****ing day and make McConnell block it each time. 

McConnell won't let the vote happen. I believe that is why he wasn't at the presser after the meeting yesterday, because "why won't you vote on something you passed unanimously two weeks ago?" is an awkward question. Trump said he had to go back to the Senate but the Senate was adjourned until Tuesday.

Add: That unanimous vote is also why it is pointless to negotiate with anyone but Trump, none of his minions can truly speak for him because they have no idea what his current position is. Hell, Trump really doesn't even know.

Edited by RedskinsFan44

2 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

They aren't offering the $5 billion in a high tech wall instead, or even more just to completely blow up the narrative here.

I would be completely ok with $5B going towards a hi-tech solution to the border + immigration reform (e.g. giving workers in Mexico seasonal work visas or a surge of visas for necessary labor work). A stupid ass wall does nothing when they're building tunnels, etc to smuggle drugs/weapons/human trafficking.

Why can we discuss solutions so easily on this board, but Congress can't? I'm assuming it's connected to lobbyists and stupid party lines.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RedskinsFan44 said:

McConnell won't let the vote happen. I believe that is why he wasn't at the presser after the meeting yesterday, because "why won't you vote on something you passed unanimously two weeks ago?" is an awkward question. Trump said he had to go back to the Senate but the Senate was adjourned until Tuesday.

Add: That unanimous vote is also why it is pointless to negotiate with anyone but Trump, none of his minions can truly speak for him because they have no idea what his current position is. Hell, Trump really doesn't even know.

Agree totally, but Dems can only control what they can control. McConnell can keep hiding. 

Correct me if I'm wrong but they can pass funding AND THEN go over what they will do at the part through normal means right? So then holding the country hostage to get this ****ing wall, or immigration reform, or anything else is just politics right? 

29 minutes ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

Why can we discuss solutions so easily on this board, but Congress can't? I'm assuming it's connected to lobbyists and stupid party lines.

Because this is a discussion board and our government is designed for debate.  You listen to the house on CSPN right now, they never actually talk to each other back and forth between other members like a normal conversation.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but they can pass funding AND THEN go over what they will do at the part through normal means right? So then holding the country hostage to get this ****ing wall, or immigration reform, or anything else is just politics right? 

The bill that passed both chambers 3 weeks ago that Trump vetoed only funded everything through February, exactly for the reason you stated. Trump preferred a shutdown. 

3 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

The bill that passed both chambers 3 weeks ago that Trump vetoed only funded everything through February, exactly for the reason you stated. Trump Fox News preferred a shutdown. 

I fixed that error for you. 

@Pleaseblitz
The unanimous bill out of the Senate was not voted on in the House. That bill had $1.3B in wall funding and kept the agencies open till February. The House passed a bill with $5B in wall funding.

No one knows what the hell will make the Trump happy other than a $5B wall bill.

Trump is throwing a tantrum over the wall.

Congress under the GOP didnt give it to him, why should the Dems?

32 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Agree totally, but Dems can only control what they can control. McConnell can keep hiding. 

If I'm Pelosi I say I passed a spending bill and until the Senate votes on it or sends me something back I will wait. I would hammer McConnell for his inaction.

5 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

The bill that passed both chambers 3 weeks ago that Trump vetoed only funded everything through February, exactly for the reason you stated. Trump preferred a shutdown. 

Trump vetoed a CR? I thought he just threatened to and then McConnell put the brakes on voting on the House CR with the 5 billion because he knew he didn't have the votes.

Trump signaled he would be fine with border security protection at last years levels ($1.3B). This is why that bill passed the Senate was unanimous. Trump had an agreement with McConnell. The GOP/TEA party in the House rejected that bill and passed $5B in funding, right as they were booted out of power.

Pelosi passed bills with the lower level of funding -- these mirrored the Senate bills. The Dems were elected to fight against Trumps wall, in spite of the border being a major campaign issue by Fox News.

In the face of the mid-term results, Trumps actions are a slap in the face to the election results. He doesnt have support to shut down the government over a wall the people of the US don't want.

This is democratic insanity and the GOP needs to accept responsibility for enabling Trump and tell him to accept the reality of the election. He lost the House!

Congress needs to forget Trump and work on a veto-proof bill.

6 minutes ago, RedskinsFan44 said:

If I'm Pelosi I say I passed a spending bill and until the Senate votes on it or sends me something back I will wait. I would hammer McConnell for his inaction.

Trump vetoed a CR? I thought he just threatened to and then McConnell put the brakes on voting on the House CR with the 5 billion because he knew he didn't have the votes.

Vetoed, torpedoed, same ****. 

I'm thinking if I'm the House, I pass a bill that funds the government for the rest of the fiscal year (no funding things for three weeks, then you'll tell us what your next demand is) at present levels. 

Negotiations for next year's budget begins tomorrow. 

Edited by Larry

Unless I'm mistaken (which may be entirely possible), I think it takes more than just McConnell to block the vote on the continuing resolution.  Even if McConnell never brings the CR up for a vote, I think 60 senators can pass a motion overriding the order of business.  McConnell can set the calendar of bills and resolution, but Senate can override the order of business.  The problem isn't just McConnell, but basically that there aren't enough GOP senators willing to defect to force a vote on the CR.

6 minutes ago, Larry said:

I'm thinking if I'm the House, I pass a bill that funds the government for the rest of the fiscal year (no funding things for three weeks, then you'll tell us what your next demand is) at present levels. 

I said recently that there should be a law that if a new budget can't be agreed on, the most recent budget should automatically be extended for a year.  I'd also like that Congress/POTUS don't get paid and aren't allowed to go more than 50 miles from DC until they do a new budget.  That may be more unrealistic though.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, bearrock said:

Unless I'm mistaken (which may be entirely possible), I think it takes more than just McConnell to block the vote on the continuing resolution.  Even if McConnell never brings the CR up for a vote, I think 60 senators can pass a motion overriding the order of business.  McConnell can set the calendar of bills and resolution, but Senate can override the order of business.  The problem isn't just McConnell, but basically that there aren't enough GOP senators willing to defect to force a vote on the CR.

I hope that is the case, because it won't be long before they have those votes.

2 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Anyone else nervous he'll try martial law right after declaring a national emergency if he does go that far?

He doesnt have to gonads to do it right away. He would have to be talked into it by Fox and whoever else.