Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trump Border Wall Post-Shutdown Discussion (Wall-Fight)

Fergasun

17 hours ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

I just saw a commercial on CNN for support for Trump's border wall approved by Trump.....has any other president done this before? I don't remember Obama creating commercials asking for Americans to call Congress in support of the ACA

That was a 2020 campaign commercial even if it wasnt about 2020.

Paid for by Trump for President

• Like 1

The only way Trump could get anywhere near the kind of money he'd need to build that wall would be to try and allocate funds from the military since the "Immigration Emergency Fund" is only about $20 million. Even then he'd run into the fact that the law says only the amount allocated for military construction funds can be used for that. And the Secretary of Defense has to make a report to Congress with justification, including the cost.

10 U.S. Code § 2808 - Construction authority in the event of a declaration of war or national emergency

(a) In the event of a declaration of war or the declaration by the President of a national emergency in accordance with the National Emergencies Act (50 U.S.C. 1601 et seq.) that requires use of the armed forces, the Secretary of Defense, without regard to any other provision of law, may undertake military construction projects, and may authorize the Secretaries of the military departments to undertake military construction projects, not otherwise authorized by law that are necessary to support such use of the armed forces. Such projects may be undertaken only within the total amount of funds that have been appropriated for military construction, including funds appropriated for family housing, that have not been obligated.

(b) When a decision is made to undertake military construction projects authorized by this section, the Secretary of Defense shall notify, in an electronic medium pursuant to section 480 of this title, the appropriate committees of Congress of the decision and of the estimated cost of the construction projects, including the cost of any real estate action pertaining to those construction projects.

(c) The authority described in subsection (a) shall terminate with respect to any war or national emergency at the end of the war or national emergency.

I just don't see it working at all. He might still try it. But it will be immediately challenged in court and even enough Congressional Rs might balk at it to cause problems. I also see it as difficult to justify the construction of the wall being "necessary to support such use of the armed forces" as it doesn't actually have any direct bearing on the military. 

Edited by mistertim

2 minutes ago, mistertim said:

The only way Trump could get anywhere near the kind of money he'd need to build that wall would be to try and allocate funds from the military since the "Immigration Emergency Fund" is only about $20 million. Even then he'd run into the fact that the law says only the amount allocated for military construction funds can be used for that. And the Secretary of Defense has to make a report to Congress with justification, including the cost.

I just don't see it working at all. He might still try it. But it will be immediately challenged in court and even enough Congressional Rs might balk at it to cause problems. I also see it as difficult to justify the construction of the wall being "necessary to support such use of the armed forces" as it doesn't actually have any direct bearing on the military. 

But the invasion!!!!111!!!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, visionary said:

Can we take a minute and acknowledge we have multiple former heads of state alive today in this country that aren't in jail or anything like that and it looks like they get along for the most part, maybe even like each other?  How many other countries can say that?

• Thanks 1

I know Trump has trashed much of what the presidency means.  But when POTUS wishes to give a live address to the nation, I think networks and news channels should carry it live.  They can fact check to their heart's content or even have scrolling lies notice on the screen, but the answer isn't to just ignore him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, bearrock said:

I know Trump has trashed much of what the presidency means.  But when POTUS wishes to give a live address to the nation, I think networks and news channels should carry it live.  They can fact check to their heart's content or even have scrolling lies notice on the screen, but the answer isn't to just ignore him.

Nah. This is pretty much going to be throwing red meat to his base. "Trump good, Democrats and immigrants bad." Unless they want to have it tape delayed and pause the speech to fact check in real time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, bearrock said:

I was initially against it, but I’ve changed my mind and agree it should be aired. It needs to be fact checked live or a network should pause their own broadcast to fact check. Tape delay by a couple minutes and advertise you’ll be fact checking that way. 

1 minute ago, Cooked Crack said:

Nah. This is pretty much going to be throwing red meat to his base. "Trump good, Democrats and immigrants bad." Unless they want to have it tape delayed and pause the speech to fact check in real time.

You beat me to it by 15 seconds. 

4 minutes ago, Cooked Crack said:

Exactly right, it's going to be the same nonsense he said after meeting with Pelosi last week. Probably have a few border guys in the room to exploit. 

Edited by spjunkies

Greg Sargent of the Washington Post made the point that the initial premise for his speech is a lie, that there is a national security crisis on the border, so that should be taken into account when deciding whether to air it. The problem for the networks is his base is so rabid there might be negative consequences to not airing it.

if fact checking did any good, he wouldn't be in office

the address is a waste of time. fact is one party won't address that they have become subservient to a 70yr old toddler in the midst of a tantrum about something that nobody believes will actually work

Murica is really ****ing stupid right now and it hurts my head

• Thanks 1