Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trump Border Wall Post-Shutdown Discussion (Wall-Fight)

Fergasun

2 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Can we take a minute and acknowledge we have multiple former heads of state alive today in this country that aren't in jail or anything like that and it looks like they get along for the most part, maybe even like each other?  How many other countries can say that?

Enjoy it while it lasts lol

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, RedskinsFan44 said:

Greg Sargent of the Washington Post made the point that the initial premise for his speech is a lie, that there is a national security crisis on the border, so that should be taken into account when deciding whether to air it. The problem for the networks is his base is so rabid there might be negative consequences to not airing it.

What consequences are they talking about?  They get that Trumps base doesnt watch any other TV news source except Fox right now? 

This is a ratings thing, that's it, if we know this speech is going to be a crock of **** news networks should demand the transcript in advance before airing it.  It's their job to inform the people, not be a vehicle for real-time nationwide propaganda.   

Whatever risk they think they are taking by not giving Trumps base what they want, they have to understand actually giving it them could be worse.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, RedskinsFan44 said:

Greg Sargent of the Washington Post made the point that the initial premise for his speech is a lie, that there is a national security crisis on the border, so that should be taken into account when deciding whether to air it. The problem for the networks is his base is so rabid there might be negative consequences to not airing it.

His base is watching on Faux News anyway. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, skinsfan_1215 said:

takes money from a bloated DoD budget

out of curiosity, where do you think the money will get taken from first?  Things that supply or compensate the low level people doing the actual work or the fat cats with huge government contracts.  Shrinking DoD budget is probably necessary but you need to consider how it would be implemented.  And that isn't specific to what party is in charge.  DoD and it's contracts are a sacred cow.  The only thing hurt by cuts is the grass that cow walks on.

2 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Can we take a minute and acknowledge we have multiple former heads of state alive today in this country that aren't in jail or anything like that and it looks like they get along for the most part, maybe even like each other?  How many other countries can say that?

That is one of the most awesome posts ever made on this site. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

out of curiosity, where do you think the money will get taken from first?  Things that supply or compensate the low level people doing the actual work or the fat cats with huge government contracts.  Shrinking DoD budget is probably necessary but you need to consider how it would be implemented.  And that isn't specific to what party is in charge.  DoD and it's contracts are a sacred cow.  The only thing hurt by cuts is the grass that cow walks on.

Agreed. The wall money wouldn’t come from the areas most in need of cuts. But I’d still rather the DoD pay for it than the other options (it’s never getting built anyway). 

The more I think about it, the Democrat rebuttal shouldn’t just rebut Trump’s remarks tomorrow, they should do a comprehensive takedown of the entire Trump administration to date. It will take 2 hours, but when else is a Dem going to get airtime on every network right after Trump?  It will be an amazing way to make Trump’s contrived spectacle backfire in epic fashion.  Ted Lieu should do it, that guy is great at brutal but hilarious. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

The more I think about it, the Democrat rebuttal shouldn’t just rebut Trump’s remarks tomorrow, they should do a comprehensive takedown of the entire Trump administration to date. It will take 2 hours, but when else is a Dem going to get airtime on every network right after Trump?  It will be an amazing way to make Trump’s contrived spectacle backfire in epic fashion.  Ted Lieu should do it, that guy is great at brutal but hilarious. 

Rebuttals always look bad though.  I don't think Trump's political attack speech should be aired accept after the fact so they can point out what he lied about.   This isn't an appropriate use of an oval office speech and to allow him to use it like this is disgraceful. 

Edited by visionary
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, visionary said:

Rebuttals always look bad though.  I don't think Trump's political attack speech should be aired accept after the fact so they can point out what he lied about.   This isn't an appropriate use of an oval office speech and to allow him to use it like this disgraceful. 

They always look bad because the always follow someone dignified saying something serious. This will not be that. 

I agree it’s a total sham, but networks aren’t arbitors of Presidential appropriateness, they are in the ratings business. ONE network should run it with the host having a coaches clicker, John Madden style, and pause it when he lies so a panel of experts can correct each lie, then start it back up on a delay until the next lie (3 seconds later). 

Edited by PleaseBlitz

33 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

The office of the president needs to be shown certain respects even if the person holding the office doesn't show those respects.  Air it.  Point out all the dumb/false/racist/whatever stuff he says.  But air it.  

You’re right

it still feels like it’s a another slide backwards

3 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

In contrast, the current president wants his opponent to be locked up. 

4 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

They always look bad because the always follow someone dignified saying something serious. This will not be that. 

I agree it’s a total sham, but networks aren’t arbitors of Presidential appropriateness, they are in the ratings business. ONE network should run it with the host having a coaches clicker, John Madden style, and pause it so a panel of experts can correct each lie, then start it back up on a delay until the ext lie (3 seconds later). 

The networks will likely find some way to get Trump fans on to cheer it and muddy any disagreement with what he said.  In the end this will at best be a wash and more likely Trump will win over some people who don't follow the news by lying his ass off.  

Edited by visionary
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, visionary said:

The networks will likely find some way to get Trump fans on to cheer it and muddy any disagreement with what he said.  In the end this will at best be a wash and more likely Trump will win over some people who don't follow the news by lying his ass off.  

That’s probably true too, but how many people can there be that aren’t either (1) Trumps base or (2) know he’s a big fat liar?  

In any event, there’s no chance its not getting aired on most networks.  We both think that’s wrong, but it’s the reality.  So Dems need to formulate a response. I contend that the response should be more than the standard rebuttal that conventional Presidents get because of the nature of Trump’s likely remarks (entirely lies). 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

That is one of the most awesome posts ever made on this site. 

Really appreciate that.

Was just reading an article that even though US has been peacefully and democratically transitioning between heads of state from different political parties via election for over 200 years straight now, that is actually extremely rare in the rest of the world.  There's something like 68 countries out of 195 that have never done that, including Russia and China.  Ever.

http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/europpblog/2014/11/26/peaceful-transitions-of-power-have-been-rare-in-modern-states-but-once-the-habit-has-been-acquired-it-sticks/

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

Was just reading an article that even though US has been peacefully and democratically transitioning between heads of state from different political parties via election for over 200 years straight now, that is actually extremely rare in the rest of the world.

It pains me to say this but I don't believe our trend will continue.  

• Like 1

So, just catching up:

Trump is going on national TV tomorrow night at 9 to declare a national emergency at the southern boarder.  Asking for support from all Americans to defend against the miscreants crossing the boarder.  Appealing to the basic fear of people different than themselves.

Basic gist?

5 hours ago, visionary said:

Oh, I'm sure it's possible to fudge the numbers to inflate things more than that.  

For example, do you count every member of MS13 as "terrorist", and count ones who come through drug smuggling tunnels to get past the already-existing wall as "southern border"?  

Then pull a "well, I'm sure there's more than we know about", to justify ignoring the number you've intentionally inflated and just pulling a bigger out out of your Trump.  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, bearrock said:

I know Trump has trashed much of what the presidency means.  But when POTUS wishes to give a live address to the nation, I think networks and news channels should carry it live.  They can fact check to their heart's content or even have scrolling lies notice on the screen, but the answer isn't to just ignore him.

Agreed.  It may simply be a racist lie salad, but the fact that POTUS is saying it still makes it news.