Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread: Redskins at Blake Bottles Bench

TK

Why is simply "making the playoffs" or "winning the division" the constant goal around here?!

Talk about a loser mentality. 

I wasn't around for the Super Bowl days. Was making the playoffs the goal then too, and the trophies were just icing on the cake?

It's not loser mentality it's called be ****ing loyal to our team..and thank God you and the rest of these loser mentality attitudes weren't around than... because it didn't matter who was playing, you were rooting for the Redskins third-string first string it didn't matter.

2 minutes ago, CRobi21 said:

Why is simply "making the playoffs" or "winning the division" the constant goal around here?!

Wait. Im going to guess you’re joking, but if you’re not....

Shouldn’t we want to win the division or make the playoffs every year? Shouldn’t every team want to achieve that goal? It is, after all, the first step to going on a super bowl run in the playoffs. 

1 minute ago, CRobi21 said:

I wasn't around for the Super Bowl days. Was making the playoffs the goal then too, and the trophies were just icing on the cake?

Under Joe Gibbs?  Quite possibly  Cooke's mentality may have been championships but Joe Gibbs did not let his players get ****y.  He talked up every team and when you take every team seriously, then yeah you do do that.  The team at least did not consider any step but the one ahead of them. 

9 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

All in all at no point are you even having the same conversation I'm having, at all.

Yeah, I'm not interested in getting involved in others' discussions, but that was a Straw Man that comes up so often- saying it would be better for us to lose and  getting responses about how terrible it would be to have players and coaches who went out and tried to lose. It's just nonsense.

Just now, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Shouldn’t we want to win the division or make the playoffs every year? Shouldn’t every team want to achieve that goal? It is, after all, the first step to going on a super bowl run in the playoffs. 

he's saying we should want to win the Super Bowl every year

Sorry but all of you guys clamoring for Kapernick are missing the fact that the half of the fanbase would find it more insulting and unacceptable than the utter incompetence displayed on the field.  With a fanbase already ready to take to the streets with pitchforks and torches it would eliminate half of your remaining CUSTOMERS. Not worth it from that perspective. But hey the WAPO would love it. 

1 minute ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Where is coolyfan and what did you do with him.. thanks for your comment I appreciate it.. sincerely.. the baked tater

13 minutes ago, CRobi21 said:

Absolutely yes!!!! You cant win it if you dont get in the dance. Gibbs was ALWAYS playoffs first. Home field second. Super Bowl next.

3 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

Point me to the man who said he doesn't want to win a Super Bowl. Find me the post, and I'll put it in my signature for the rest of the season.

I'd say me, but then I do want to win the Super Bowl.  I just don't actually want to GO to the Super Bowl until I'm 100% sure the team would win it

3 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I don't want to tank for a specific "franchise changing player", I want this current regime fired and replaced. You're not even arguing the same thing I am. You brought the Griffin draft into this only because you erroneously posted that losing badly for a franchise player didn't work that year--and I felt the need to correct you that if they hadn't wont that pointless game down the stretch, they wouldn't have needed to trade all those picks to make that pick, and things would have been better.

You didn't correct me because you didn't get my point, they only one 10 of their last 12 games, which was a high enough pick to get talent in the draft that also had Russell Wilson, a smart franchise wouldn't of picked Griffin regardless of where we landed.  Where we disagree is you believe we need to lose out to make sure Allen is fired, that's how this started, and I took it to tanking because they are two sides to the same coin, both sides I've seen you defend before. 

I don't want the organization to want to lose. I want them to end up losing out in a lost season so that Gruden and Allen are fired. I don't want the regime in place to benefit from losing out, I want losing out to be final straw to oust them. Again, you're posting things that have no relation to what I'm talking about.

We both want them gone, that isn't even what we are disagreeing about.  The final straw should've already been broken by now with Allen.  It's not like we're going to the super bowl this year, so being happy with individual wins is part of the short-term joy you get from watching a sport.  There's a balance in being a fan, of course I think long-term, but to get from one day to the next, no, rooting for losing doesn't help that.  If that works for you go for it, I don't agree with it, a lot of people don't agree with it.

There's so much wrong in this post I just have to go point by point. The Colts would disagree here because not winning meaningless games in a lost season after Peyton got hurt is exactly how they got their current franchise QB, Andrew Luck. Possibly the best example in current history if you're going to insist on talking about "tanking" for a player. Which is not something I am talking about.

Who is 3-3 in the playoffs, no Super Bowl appearences, and up until this year some people were concerned about his shoulder may shrinking his career.  Colts are a terrible franchise that completely collapsed at the first sign of adversity with Peyton, and they are still screwing up.  This is the perfect example for why tanking should not be on the table, but I'm sure you ignored that thread and disagreed with premise and research of a better front office winning the day, so I guess we can just stop talking about that.  Which comes back to getting upset with fans that are happy we won, what did you think was going to happen when you said that after a win like that?

Huh? It is objectively worse to trade 2 extra 1sts and more to draft Griffin that year than to lose an extra game and get him at no additional cost. There is no argument against that, you make no sense here.

As for the rest...again, I am hoping that an obvious losing streak would make our idiot owner hold Allen and Gruden "accountable". Nobody is talking about intentionally losing or tanking or whatever you're rambling on about. The players and coaches obviously don't want to lose, they have jobs they're trying to save (which they may have, and that's the problem). I wanted the outcome to be a loss anyways so that there COULD be accountability and a house cleaning.  Nobody is saying they want the TEAM to want to lose, that really doesn't exist.

All in all at no point are you even having the same conversation I'm having, at all.

I see, so you want them to lose, but you don't want them to want to lose.  You can't be mad when they win then, can't have it both ways.  I've said repeatedly if they don't care, they deserve to lose, if they do care they deserve to win.  Let it happen, and stop raining on the parade of people that are happy they cared for a change.  Keep in mind, this started with you calling fans happy about this win short-sighted, if addressing everything that comes with that position because you didn't clarify rambling, so be it.

1 minute ago, clskinsfan said:

Absolutely yes!!!! You cant win it if you dont get in the dance. Gibbs was ALWAYS playoffs first. Home field second. Super Bowl next.

But he was a quality head coach who had consistently competitive teams...built by a competent GM...

@Califan007 I can't quote because of this wonderful board, but this is a reply to your last post. 

A higher draft pick is not the primary reason I want to lose. I want to drop these meaningless games because I think it would increase the odds of Bruce getting tossed on his ear and installing someone who has a clue in his position. 

3 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

For some, the goal is to lose out for a higher draft pick. That's not exactly a winners' mentality, either lol...

That's a side benefit, everyone you're describing mostly wants a house cleaning in the FO and coaching staff, describing it otherwise is disingenuous imo

2 minutes ago, carex said:

I'd say me, but then I do want to win the Super Bowl.  I just don't actually want to GO to the Super Bowl until I'm 100% sure the team would win it

Is any team or it’s fans ever truly sure they will win it if they make it?

I think the guys point was more or less that you want to believe you have the ability to make a Super Bowl, and even if you don’t, you’d like to believe you have the parts to make a run for it  in the near future.

Which is a big reason why many of us weren’t gung ho at 5-2.  We were winning 50/50 games but getting that ass whooped vs. the legit teams that have hopes of playing in Super Bowls.

1 minute ago, spjunkies said:

@Califan007 I can't quote because of this wonderful board, but this is a reply to your last post. 

A higher draft pick is not the primary reason I want to lose. I want to drop these meaningless games because I think it would increase the odds of Bruce getting tossed on his ear and installing someone who has a clue in his position. 

That's @ConnSKINS26 argument, Allen should already have an anvil tied to his foot and ready to push off the side of the boat at the end of this season just from the last couple months alone with what happened to Alex Smith, Reuben Foster, and the now practically empty FedEx Field.  Unnecessary.

4 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

For some, the goal is to lose out for a higher draft pick. That's not exactly a winners' mentality, either lol...

Draft pick position > meaningless wins.

But I'm more worried about getting rid of the GM and head coach. Losing would make it more obvious to our incompetent owner that he needs to clean house and start over.

If you make the playoffs then you have a chance. That's the bottom line. I love seeing the team fight.

I was at the bar and was watching other games (fantasy semis), but from what I saw Johnson made smart efficient throws. Peterson was running super hard at the end of the game. That guy never gets tired. Big win.

Archived