Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Night Thread- Skins at Carson Wince & the Philthy Beagles

TK

10 minutes ago, Dissident2 said:

Yes, the offense and the devastating injuries all over that side of the ball is the main weakness of this team.

That is what I'm saying.  It would take an elite defense to compensate for how terrible our offense is, and we obviously aren't there yet.  

35 minutes ago, Dissident2 said:

If that mattered in any respect regarding the play of our defense overall, then that first drive would've been an outlier. It wasn't. It was indicative of the ENTIRE NIGHT on that side of the ball. The only reason that game wasn't a 40- or 50-burger was because of the Eagles' own bad play calls and mistakes by Wentz. 

The defense has been playing horribly for the last half of the season. Look at the Dallas game. Team gets up 13-10, and they immediately give up a TD drive. That's not because they've been "demoralized by a bad offense." It's because they are not coached well. Look at their third down percentage, lol. Look at the yards on the ground they've been giving up. And they don't even have the 'ravaged by injuries" excuse.

Yes, they are obviously in better shape than our offense. Yes, the offense and the devastating injuries all over that side of the ball is the main weakness of this team, but the defense is almost equally disappointing as well. 

thagt's because a team down two or more scores changes things up.  It's hard to blow out a team you're fairly evenly matched against.  Frankly your example shows you're expecting to much from a D

2 hours ago, carex said:

didn't the Eagles get a drive saving penalty too?

Think they had 2. 1 happened when one of our corners blitzed and touched Wentz in the back and Wentz put on a academy award dive. I don't think that should or would have been a penalty except the ref bought the dive by Wentz. Think another happened on a incomplete pass on 3rd down and the skins got called for a def holding call. The Skins make a lot of dumb penalties and their record shows it. That is a coaching problem. 

13 minutes ago, carex said:

thagt's because a team down two or more scores changes things up.  It's hard to blow out a team you're fairly evenly matched against.  Frankly your example shows you're expecting to much from a D

The first thing you wrote doesn't even make sense. In what example I gave was there an offense "down two or more scores"? 

But who cares, let's go the "stats don't lie" route:

Redskins defense:

Pts per game: 19th

Passing yards: 27th

Rushing defense: 9th

Receiving: 26th

Opp. First downs: 24th

Third down conversions: 24th

WIth the exception of the rushing stat, which I'm quite frankly surprised by and doesn't accurately reflect the last stretch of games, these are terrible statistics. Yes, maybe "competence" and "middle of the pack at least" is expecting too much. 

And before someone else jumps on here to complain about the offense in comparison, YES, I'm with you, they stink as well, and if I could fix one side right now, I'd go with offense. But why anyone would attempt to defend this defense and its coordinator at this point in the season and his tenure is beyond understanding. Maybe I'm expecting too much from people who actually watch these games. 

There is no excuse for the defensive play we've seen over the last few weeks.  None.  We have used a lot of high picks recently and spent quite a bit of FA money to bolster the defense and they are relatively injury free.  And they suck.  If they want to get off of the field, they need to stop committing drive extending penalties and tackle people.  They have got to be the worst tackling D in the NFL this year.

The offense sucked from jump and got worse with injuries.  The only bright spot this year has been a RB that should be writing his speech for Canton instead of ripping off 90yd TD runs.

I was willing to give Jay some latitude, but this is his team and has been since he made Kirk the starter.  His play calling is suspect.  Does this team even have a quick slant?  The one from Sanchez last night was the first I remember seeing since Garcon left.  There are no meaningful halftime adjustments, and he cannot win a game after a bye week.  It's time for him to go, along with Bruce.  We need a real GM, who is not a drunk to get us back on track.

The Giants are going to whip us unless they completely melt down.

I am still miffed Jay punted down 2 scores with 3+ minutes left. I don't give a rats ass it was 3rd and 300. Maybe odds say punting was the key to victory but its not the look I want the players to see from the coach.

Jay is an ok coach but I don't want a coach to be a quitter when the season is on the line. Just call a ****ing hail mary, the famed 3rd and forever draw or screen, or simply watch the season sealing sack, but at least do it trying to win. Don't bend over to Philly, ever!  Maybe he wanted to stop the bleeding WRT injuries but then its our D right back out there taking body blows, so what's the difference. 

2 hours ago, purbeast said:

ll?

Gruden calling a ****ing trick play on 3rd and 15 down 12 points pretty put me over the edge with him. 

I know we had guys in the back field like it was designed to be some mis direction end around trick play ... but I think the play was supposed to be a simple pitch to Peterson but an Eagles defender just shot the lane and Sanchez was forced to eat it and then scramble around like a chicken looking for someone to unload the ball to.

If anyone hears an explanation, id like to know what that was supposed to be.

edit - unless you are talking about that Reed back pass across the field to CT .. totally diff play than the one im talking about

2 minutes ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

I know we had guys in the back field like it was designed to be some mis direction end around trick play ... but I think the play was supposed to be a simple pitch to Peterson but an Eagles defender just shot the lane and Sanchez was forced to eat it and then scramble around like a chicken looking for someone to unload the ball to.

If anyone hears an explanation, id like to know what that was supposed to be.

That's not the play I'm talking about, but that is another example of a dumb ass play that NEVER ****ING WORKS and looked to be an end around or some stupid long developing run play.

I'm talking about the play where they pitched it to AP (I think it was AP) and he ran right, then he stopped, and threw the ball back to Thompson while still in the backfield.

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Wentz left a lot out there on the field that the defense was giving away.  Peterson also did us a few favors with playcalling. Don’t fool yourselves, that defense was freaking awful, minus two plays.

As they say, the best defense is a good offense.  It keeps the defense off the field, and guys remain fresh.  Aside from first downs due to penalties, the skins had 4 passing first downs, and three of them were right before the half against a soft zone. 

One passing first down the entire rest of the game!!!!!  

Four three and outs.  Another drive Sanchez threw a pick on the third play.  One drive had 6 plays, for a total of negative three yards!  16 yards of offense in the 2nd half!  

And 40 minutes time of possession for the eagles.  Twice the amount of time the skins had the ball.

I think many are underestimating the impact our absolutely putrid offense is having on this defense.  Our defense is not elite, manusky is not special, but man our offense is such a detriment to this team it is impossible for the defense to overcome this debacle.

2 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I’m not defending the offense.  They were terrible and have been terrible.  Even when they were winning.

Just making it clear that the defense is also terrible and think it’s disingenous to blame their terrible on the offense.  

Fair enough, but I think the terrible offense leads to the defense being put in bad spots and in turn does have an effect on their performance.  I don't believe the defense has as much of a negative effect on our offense.  Our offense is terrible enough on their own.

If we had an offense that could move the chains, our defense would instantly look better.  Even if we had the 85 bears defense, mark Sanchez is not marching us down the field.  

But it is what it is, and bottom line this team has a lot of upgrading to do on both sides of the ball, the coaching staff, the front office, and the ownership group.  Everywhere.  Even though I believe the young nucleus on defense is the only bright spot this team has.

I don't see this team winning more than one game the rest of the way (maybe nyg this week, but I wouldn't bet on it), and going from 6-3 to 7-9 or 6-10 will cost Gruden his job. Maybe Allen?  But we are stuck with Snyder, and probably the best we can hope for is an off-season where we cut bait with some bad contracts, meaning we won't be resigning or bringing any new guys in.  Just draft picks. This will continue to be a slow, frustrating process.

16 hours ago, markmills67 said:

A win for the Mighty Redskins tonight. 

HTTR 

Mighty? LOL Half an offense, an a completely over rated D.  Can you spell WASHED UP? Last place here we come!!! Giants will kick our ass next week. I predict no more wins this year.

2 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Wentz left a lot out there on the field that the defense was giving away.  Peterson also did us a few favors with playcalling. Don’t fool yourselves, that defense was freaking awful, minus two plays.

Wentz is not even remotely back to being the player he was. His passes were all over the place. Even his completions were such that guys had to reach for them and reset.

Last year, that offense was built around hitting dudes in stride and letting them run, run, run. Last night was a lot "catch, gather your feet, set, and run." Sometimes dudes were so open that it still led to chunks of yardage, but I think last year's version of Wentz puts put 45 last night.

37 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

Fair enough, but I think the terrible offense leads to the defense being put in bad spots and in turn does have an effect on their performance.  I don't believe the defense has as much of a negative effect on our offense.  Our offense is terrible enough on their own.

If we had an offense that could move the chains, our defense would instantly look better.  Even if we had the 85 bears defense, mark Sanchez is not marching us down the field.  

But it is what it is, and bottom line this team has a lot of upgrading to do on both sides of the ball, the coaching staff, the front office, and the ownership group.  Everywhere.  Even though I believe the young nucleus on defense is the only bright spot this team has.

I don't see this team winning more than one game the rest of the way (maybe nyg this week, but I wouldn't bet on it), and going from 6-3 to 7-9 or 6-10 will cost Gruden his job. Maybe Allen?  But we are stuck with Snyder, and probably the best we can hope for is an off-season where we cut bait with some bad contracts, meaning we won't be resigning or bringing any new guys in.  Just draft picks. This will continue to be a slow, frustrating process.

Blah Blah, same old story year after year. But all these wonderful evaluation blogs will surely fix things. Bad O, weak D, Poor coaching, FO decisions. This is a broken franchise.

2 hours ago, Dissident2 said:

Redskins defense:

Pts per game: 19th

Passing yards: 27th

Rushing defense: 9th

Receiving: 26th

Opp. First downs: 24th

Third down conversions: 24th

Skins are 8th in scoring defense, not 19th.

Sacks: 15th

Ints: 5th (t)

FFs: 1st

Takeaways: 4th (t)

Lead the league in FFs, 4th in Takeaways. 

The offense didn't even score in the 2nd half. Hardly got a first down. C'mon folks. 

12 minutes ago, Mooka said:

Skins are 8th in scoring defense, not 19th.

Sacks: 15th

Ints: 5th (t)

FFs: 1st

Takeaways: 4th (t)

Lead the league in FFs, 4th in Takeaways. 

The offense didn't even score in the 2nd half. Hardly got a first down. C'mon folks. 

The amount of injuries on the offensive side of the football really preclude any real criticism. When you're down to guys signed off the street a couple weeks ago at QB (3rds string) and both guards (4th string now I guess), guess which side of the football you HAVE to lean on? The defense has been very healthy comparatively, and they have not played well, especially the last month. Granted, Jay was a completely idiot by not trying to run the ball with AP more, and putting everything on the shoulders of Capt. Butt Fumble, but the D needed to raise it's game. It allowed the Eagles to move the ball at will with no resistance. It was bad.

3 hours ago, KillBill26 said:

no doubt our offense has gotten a lot more injuries than our defense has. So if you are looking at it from the perspective that you expect our defense to carry them because they are the healthier/more talented unit, I can see your point. And I also don't think manusky is anything special.

But I'm not handicapping the offense due to injuries. I'm just calling it like it is. The offense is absolutely terrible in its current state.  Mark Sanchez.  I know Cooper is out for the year, and Bergstrom left with an injury at some point in the game.  Skins were already relying on bowanko, who is the next scrub to enter the turnstile?  Gruden can't call plays or adjust.  We don't have a gamebreaker on offense, maybe CT, but he is oft injured and misused.  (AP has been amazing this year, but since the oline started getting dinged he has not consistently produced).

Our defense gave up 14 in the first half, with one of the TDS being that opening drive by Wentz where he was on fire.  That kept us in the game in spite of our putrid offense.  And the second half we offered no threat on the offensive side.  None.  I don't think the defense deserves any credit or played a great game overall, but I also don't believe they deserve the blame.  It's the offense.

They gave up 14 because of a goal line stand.  Should have been 17 if Peterson didn’t go for it.  But Philly marched up and down the field.

My point is that I think firing Gruden is a mistake.  He’s been handicapped by terrible injuries and poor QB play this season (in addition to no RB last season, no WRs this season).  But this offense under him in general has been good enough with an even average defense. The defense has enough personnel to be significantly better than they are.  Manusky is arguably worse than Barry, who had little talent to work with.  I’m baffled by the dumpster diving we keep doing with DC’s.  This team literally looks like they don’t recognize a thing opponent offenses do. Even the same plays run like 10 times.  

12 minutes ago, HoggLife said:

If we win another meaningless game this year I'll be pissed. 

You'll probably be even more pissed when who ever we draft gets hit by a meteor on opening day of TC.

I regrettably called Guice's injury before that game even started. We just have that kind of awful luck

Archived