Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins vs Eagles Prediction Thread: Kenny Loggins Special

skins island connection

Who wins?  

118 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the Monday Night football battle?

• Redskins
    • Eagles
    • The crippling yet unlikely tie.

This is the first time in forever I think the Skins win in a big one.   The keys are obvious.  Colt settles down and is more confident and connects without the ill fated INT's that plagued his last game and helped sealed out fate along with crappy secondary play.  I am predicting a more balanced game with more running from Bibb's, AP and Marshall, which will open up the passing game.  The Iggles are as suspect as us in their secondary for sure.   BUT our secondary revives itself in this game and gets a key turnover.  

24 Skins

17 Iggles

8 hours ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Yes, i know that there is still a scenario where the other teams all contract polio and are unable to compete but if we are being realistic, this is it. 

Dropping to 6-6 from 6-3 will bring back leaks, kill the fanbase even further, and essentially begin the Doomsday clock. We’ve seen it countless times before. 

A couple of points

1. Even if we lose to Philly we won’t need help to make playoffs. It’s not like it becomes a wild math equation to make it happen. If we lose to Philly and then finish 4-0 we’d 100% be in the playoffs. If we finished 3-1 our odds would be pretty good, especially if that included a win over Philly in week 17. Not arguing you should be CONFIDENT in this just pointing out that the Redskins will be alive win or lose Monday Night. 

2. I don’t think we’ve seen this “countless” times. Perhaps if you are just referencing being disappointed in the team in general, but if you are talking about this specific position, it’s not something we’ve seen much— and when we have, we’ve done OK in those situations. 

If you go back to 1996-2001, I think those were the traumatizing years where we were in good position and failed to close strong, ending in disappointment. If we fail to make playoffs this year, 2018 would fall in line with those seasons. But since 2002 this isn’t a normal thing for the Redskins. Here are the years we’ve entered December with a realistic shot at the playoffs:

We wound up making the playoffs in 4 of those 6 years and all four of those years we finished very strong in December. 2008 and 2016 were the two seasons where we let it slip away down the stretch. 

To me, the biggest thing the Redskins have struggled with is GETTING to this spot. Too many times we’ve been 4-7 or worse and just playing out the string. When we’ve been in striking distance we’ve fared alright. 

I’ll say I’m not confident either. The injuries on offense are just brutal and the formula that worked early in the season may be tapped out now missing our QB, top speed guys, and pro bowl guard. But what’s always mattered to me more than my confidence level is playing games that matter. Monday matters, so how I feel about it personally isn’t consequential to me. And the game against the Giants will matter no matter what as well. If we lose both of those games? Well then yeah, now you’re entering “mathematically alive” territory on a four game losing streak and that’s no fun. But we are at least two losses away from truly being in the dregs so I don’t want to wallow there until we have to. 

Got a kick out of Gruden saying that he is going to take full advantage of the 1 extra day of practice going from a Thurs game to a Monday game 11 days later. "Practice is the key (paraphrase)", said Gruden. My question is, what in the Sam Hill does a pro football team do and why only 1 extra day of practice if practice is the key?

Eagles 24

Reskins 10.

McCoy will actually have practices to prepare this week, so I think he's going to look better than he did on Thanksgiving.  Our defense needs to stop the run, and the Eagles defense is shaky at best going into this game.  I think we will pull this off.  

Redskins 27 

Eagles 23

Let's see....  We've only beat one good team all year and struggled against a couple mediocre teams.  Eagles in my opinion are a "ok" team, so we SHOULD be able to win this one.  I predict if we don't win, there will be many whining and moaning that the refs screwed us over, they were holding us all game, the league bias has gotten us again, yada, yada, yada.....

The Skin save us from all the cryin this week and win!!!

Skins 24

Eagles 17

51 minutes ago, NikeRedskin7 said:

Let's see....  We've only beat one good team all year and struggled against a couple mediocre teams.  Eagles in my opinion are a "ok" team, so we SHOULD be able to win this one.  I predict if we don't win, there will be many whining and moaning that the refs screwed us over, they were holding us all game, the league bias has gotten us again, yada, yada, yada.....

The Skin save us from all the cryin this week and win!!!

Skins 24

Eagles 17

Dont forget the injury excuse.

curious- is the one good win the Carolina game or the Dallas win?  The packers win isn’t looking so great anymore.

I think that Kleese and I were separated at birth because my initial thought is that, post-Gibbs I, we more often than not tend to take advantage of being in contention in December. Oddly, late-season games at Philly have been a staple in most of our successful playoff seasons since the turn of the century...working backwards: 

2016: After dropping two straight games to fade from 6-3-1 to 6-5-1 (sound familiar?) we played the Eagles in Philly and temporarily righted the ship with an exhilarating 27-22 win. Thompson provided the go-ahead score and Kerrigan forced a Wentz fumble to seal it after it looked like they might drive down and break our hearts. Of course, the season didn't pan out like we wanted, but we at least went into Philly and won a key game.

2015: This was the year that we clinched the division in Philly. They were playing for something too as they would have had the inside track to win it by beating us and winning the last game of the season (if we lost that last game). Cousins and Reed dominated early, Cousins took the halftime knee - haha, and then DHall clinched it with the fumble return for 6! 

2012: This was one of our 7 straight wins during the RGIII season. If I remember correctly, we started slow as Griffin returned with that big-ass brace after missing the Browns game. But we pulled ahead and think we won relatively comfortably. This was a pretty bad Eagle team, but it was still a must-win in Philly. 

2005: The second "clinching" entry on the list. We had run off 4 straight and needed this final one to make the playoffs (I actually think other results would have gotten us in win or lose, but we didn't know that at the time). This was a tough New Years Day game against another pretty bad Eagles team. I remember feeling angry that we had come that far only to piss it away against them in the final game of the season. We pulled ahead behind Moss and Portis and then Sean Taylor sealed it by picking up a strip sack and soaring into the end zone. We were back in the playoffs after 6 very long years (and 3-4 different head coaches). 

**2007: This wasn't a late-season game, but we won in Philly on MNF during the 2007 playoff run. It came very early in the season so it's not a great example, but given the fact that we play the Eagles on MNF, it was worth mentioning. I mostly remember Cooley catching a TD pass from Campbell and the Eagles continuously having to kick FGs. 

So, I'm not sure what any of this means other than...when we've played late-season games in Philly with playoffs within reach, we've won. 

We make the Eagles defense look like the second coming of the 2000 Ravens

Our defense appears per usual, aka they disappear.

AP gets negative yards, O line gives up 10 sacks.

Eagles get 200+ on the ground and 400 in the air

Eagles 31

Redskins 6

We get a field goal in garbage time because Gruden wants some points on the board.

Gruden gets fired after the game. YES!!!!

Archived