Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who should be the next head coach for the Skins

ClaytoAli

Dan Enos - "Jedi-Nerd"

https://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/story/sports/college/alabama/2018/05/10/alabama-assistant-dan-enos-adapts-changing-quarterback-landscape/596654002/

Upon first glance, Bret Bielema stereotyped a bespectacled Dan Enos as a “mild-mannered” football nerd with a savant-like knowledge of quarterbacks.

But upon hiring the former Central Michigan Head Coach to be Arkansas’ offensive coordinator in 2015, it wasn’t long before Bielema realized there was more than meets the eye beneath Enos’ horned-rimmed glasses.

“I always say he’s kind of got that ‘Clark Kent’ feel to him with the glasses,” Bielema said. “You see what you get, and you think you’re getting this kind of Jedi-nerd type, quasi, pretty straight-laced (coach), don’t know what he’s going to do.

“And then the first time on a football field, I mean, he grinds those guys and gets after them, and then he’s going to put his arm around them and love them up.”

Bielema further elaborated on his “Clark Kent” comparison later: “He’s able to adapt to the right moment, he can be the (buttoned-up) guy, but he can be Superman if he needs to.”

Enos and Tua:

image.png.c982cbe0deadfe8ebe5f04d3c7a753b2.png

I think we got to factor the audience here, Dan Snyder.  I am not among the fire Jay people.  However, i think he's a goner if they don't make the playoffs.  People aren't coming to games when they were winning.  Imagine if they fade in the home stretch -- the apathy levels, then.  

I think he's going to panic then and chase a big name.  I think he'd be adverse to try to sell an obscure coach that average fans wouldn't know.  I think he'd be in the look for the sexy name mode.  And you probably can't beat Saban on that front.  the narrative sells itself.    But whether he'd take the job and or Dan would be willing to pay the big money it would demand -- that is a different story.    

“If Saban coached 16 games with that team, we’d win games,” says Barron, who played for Alabama from 2008-11. “No bullsh--. The talent level is there. I see no reason why we wouldn't win games.The scheme we ran in college was more complex than any defense I've played in the NFL. We played more disciplined than most NFL teams, and when everybody is doing their job, it's hard to find weaknesses.”

Predicting what Snyder will do this offseason is about like me trying to predict what my 6-year-old would be willing to eat at Thanksgiving dinner (not much, as it turned out, but he talked a big game). Predictions are useless.

I think it's playoffs or bust for Gruden, but Bruce seems to have deftly assumed the Dan's Best Buddy title that once ensured Vinny Cerrato outrageous levels of job security.

The biggest theat to Bruce is if  Dan courts a big-name coach who says "I ain't working with that guy."

Saban is a non starter.  I live in Alabama and there is absolutely nothing that the NFL could offer him to make it worth his while to walk away from what he has here.  In this part of the country the NFL is marginally more popular than cooking shows whilst the Head Coach of Alabama is in a split decision with Jesus for most revered figure.  Top 25 High School talent will decline a full ride at another school to walk on for Saban, he won't have that edge in the NFL and his dalliance with the Dolphins told him he hates the pros.

I don't see any coach out there who is likely to make a difference within our current structure and I see no indication that Dan is losing patience with Bruce.  if the best we can do is Dave Toub has waited long enough then what exactly is the point?  Dave Toub has also been touted repeatedly by Jason La Canfora who is hands down the most clueless NFL writer out there.

Those of you who are down on Jay should hope he is here next year because this season already has its excuses built in and so Dan won't go for the big makeover but believe a little band aid here and there will fix everything.  What you want is Jay to go down in flames next year with 2 or 3 wins so that Dan gets pissed enough to blow everything up and we get a new GM/Coach combo with a top draft pick to go find the long term answer at QB.

14 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

When you're begging for a coaching change, be careful what you wish for.

The replacement could end up worse than the incumbent.

I used to think that..like your favorite record..if it keeps skipping on the tracks..time to get a new one. I gave Gruden this year to show some *Passion*..winning or loosing. He is just Meh...no big deal win or loose. When you have battlers like Trent and AP giving it their all..and then you see Doctson and even Reed quitting routes (and causing INT's)...enough is enough...you can't get worse than a DEAD FISH..

His teams leave me uninspired...and not worth watching

Maybe a new DC but starting over at HC hasn't worked either.  Either way though it will be the same **** different year. I dont think a coach screaming like a rabid fan on the sideline equals success.

Maybe new conditioning coaches/philosophy? Every year this team gets decimated by injuries...way more than whats typical.

45 minutes ago, WelshSkinsFan said:

Saban is a non starter.  I live in Alabama and there is absolutely nothing that the NFL could offer him to make it worth his while to walk away from what he has here.  In this part of the country the NFL is marginally more popular than cooking shows whilst the Head Coach of Alabama is in a split decision with Jesus for most revered figure.  Top 25 High School talent will decline a full ride at another school to walk on for Saban, he won't have that edge in the NFL and his dalliance with the Dolphins told him he hates the pros.

I don't see any coach out there who is likely to make a difference within our current structure and I see no indication that Dan is losing patience with Bruce.  if the best we can do is Dave Toub has waited long enough then what exactly is the point?  Dave Toub has also been touted repeatedly by Jason La Canfora who is hands down the most clueless NFL writer out there.

Those of you who are down on Jay should hope he is here next year because this season already has its excuses built in and so Dan won't go for the big makeover but believe a little band aid here and there will fix everything.  What you want is Jay to go down in flames next year with 2 or 3 wins so that Dan gets pissed enough to blow everything up and we get a new GM/Coach combo with a top draft pick to go find the long term answer at QB.

Saban is a name that is riding high around here. The last time he was a HC in the NFL he went 15-17 for the Dolphins. 9-7/6-10. And the 9-7 was because of a 6W streak at the end of the season.

Guy may be good the College, I'm not so sure about NFL.

41 minutes ago, zskins said:

Jay and Jon Gruden should switch teams. Jon also has passion. 

Jon will trade ya Allen, Payne and Guice before Week 8 of 2k19...

Don't even think about it.

6 minutes ago, Hail4Life said:

Maybe a new DC but starting over at HC hasn't worked either.  Either way though it will be the same **** different year. I dont think a coach screaming like a rabid fan on the sideline equals success.

Maybe new conditioning coaches/philosophy? Every year this team gets decimated by injuries...way more than whats typical.

New S&C Coaches? I've been advocating for this. To redo Redskins Park, check Fedex Field... All of these are not helping in this section.

New DC? I'm fine with Manusky. He hasn't been helped by crappy play, and the trade for Clinton-Dix is starting to look like a bust...

What I'd like to see in coaching changes, is a new OC. Give Kevin O'Connell the job, or Wes Philips. Let Callahan take care of OL and take him away from running play designs and whatnot, even more Assist. HC. Let Cavanaugh go, he's just a clip holder so far. Then let O'Connell or Philips do the call on Offense.

10 minutes ago, Hail4Life said:

Possibly... but I have to believe a new HC wouldn't have to burn 3 timeouts in the 3rd / early 4th quarter because of personnel issues.

They wouldn't lose to a last place Carolina and NYG team to get eliminated from the playoffs. 

They wouldn't have to call a timeout following a false start penalty on 2nd and 6... then go empty set, WR screen. 

They wouldn't throw the fade to Desean Jackson

They wouldn't run an empty backfield vs Atlanta on 3rd and 1 when it's a 1 score game

They wouldn't put Adrian Peterson on the sideline on 2nd and Goal from the 2 (luckily Bibbs scored). 

They wouldn't let the clock run down to the 2 min warning against Houston with a Timeout in the pocket... burning 30 seconds off the clock

They wouldn't bust a screen for 40 yards (called back by holding) then not call a single screen after that. 

I don't need a coach screaming on the sidelines... but I do need a coach who can handle coaching a football game.  Gruden has not shown me he can do that.  It looks like it is too big for him more often than not.  

43 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

Saban is a name that is riding high around here. The last time he was a HC in the NFL he went 15-17 for the Dolphins. 9-7/6-10. And the 9-7 was because of a 6W streak at the end of the season.

I've brought him up multiple times.  Not because I want Jay canned -- I am not in the fire Jay camp.  Not even because I want Saban to be the coach.  But I've learned from Dan's tenure, not to fixate so much on what i want but what he would want and in this case I think he'd seek a sexy narrative and Saban would fit that.

Do I think Saban would take the job?  As I've said in the past, I doubt it.  But I'd be surprised if we didn't hear some narrative that they'd pursue him if Jay was let go. 

I think the team and culture has been built it is just not a team and culture than is likely to win a Superbowl.  I posted in another thread that Bridgewater would not be the long term answer at QB because the position had evolved in the 5 years since he was drafted and he does not have the tools to lead an offense like the Chiefs or Rams.  I think the same may be true of Jay, a good offensive mind but perhaps out of step with the times now.

To give Jay his due, the team he inherited was a s***show and the lunatics were running the asylum as they have been through most of Dan's tenure apart from Gibbs 2.0.  In his time here we have become a much more stable franchise and as uninspiring as that may be to some it is vastly better than the decade plus that preceded it.  I do think the QB situation, which I blame entirely on Bruce, is probably going to be the end of Jay next season and if it is then he will leave with my appreciation for having been a decent, hard working guy who restored some pride and respectability to the circus he found himself in.

2 hours ago, WelshSkinsFan said:

I could see Saban wanting nothing to do with the Redskins and that would make sense to me.  Also, I get the whole Alabama rules the state-Saban has it made argument.   Heck I even went to an Alabama game myself this year.  Hobnobbed with many Alabama fans at the hotel and in the stands.  So I get the culture a little.  But as for the NFL at large, there is some speculation that Saban wants to show that the Dolphins gig was an anomaly and he coveted the Giants job last year but got to Mara too late to convey his interest.  There were articles written about it -- as to it being true or not, got no idea but there were some reports on it.

I don't see any coach out there who is likely to make a difference within our current structure

Agree with this.

I see no indication that Dan is losing patience with Bruce.  

Chris Russell who has nailed it of late about the FO says Dan is indeed losing patience.  Brewer has said the same.  Is that enough to kick him out?  who knows. Will see.

What you want is Jay to go down in flames next year with 2 or 3 wins so that Dan gets pissed enough to blow everything up and we get a new GM/Coach combo with a top draft pick to go find the long term answer at QB.

I think Bruce and company has mastered the art of keep this team above that Mendoza line -- the 7-9, 8-8, 9-7 football purgatory range.  So I doubt the 2 win season is on the way just as much as a SB is on the way.  But I'd love it -- going back to an Alabama reference -- to get Tua.

I think what Dan might finally get this off season is that 8-8 isn't going to put fans in the stands.  So if they don't make the playoffs this year and they have some bad crowds in December -- this coming off season will be a fascinating one because I think Dan will have to factor marketing as part of the off season sale.  He's lost the benefit of the doubt from most of the fan base so I gather he might try to pull his version of a rabbit out of a hat.

59 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

I prefer the idea of promoting an NFL assistant to HC, than a college coach to NFL coach.

While NFL assistants have had their fair share of failures as NFL coaches, so have college coaches.

Seems like more of a jump and change to go from college to NFL HC, than from an NFL OC or DC.

There may be more cases of failures in promoting an NFL assistant, but that's only because it's done a lot more often. There's probably a good reason why it's done less with college HCs.

If you think about how many of them have been successful in the NFL transition, it's really really hard to think of many names.

9 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

our next game is a division opponent.

Do you really believe that Gruden can get this team ready for MNF on the road?  Save for the Dal@ss game in 2014, that almost never happens.  This team is unraveling and I don't think the season can be salvaged.  

26 minutes ago, SAli457180 said:

Do you really believe that Gruden can get this team ready for MNF on the road?  Save for the Dal@ss game in 2014, that almost never happens.  This team is unraveling and I don't think the season can be salvaged.  

Team has been "unraveling" all year.  If Colt cant limit his turnovers, we can have that combo, otherwise, passing game is much improved need to we where it takes us against multiple subpar teams remaining on schedule 

Archived