Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who should be the next head coach for the Skins

ClaytoAli

I'm not sold on Jay....I think he is as another poster pointed out, a hard working person. But after 5 yrs, I think we have a good enough sample and his body of work speaks for its self. Im not advocating for his firing...but if it came to that, since other names have been brought forward as a replacement, how do you all feel about Pete Carmicheal Jr...He is currently the saint offensive coordinator.

Just now, Sknsnation said:

I'm not sold on Jay....I think he is as another poster pointed out, a hard working person. But after 5 yrs, I think we have a good enough sample and his body of work speaks for its self. Im not advocating for his firing...but if it came to that, since other names have been brought forward as a replacement, how do you all feel about Pete Carmicheal Jr...He is currently the saint offensive coordinator.

I would absolutely be for looking to one of these high powered coordinators...

My pause though is that you have to remember he's got one of the best QBs in the history of the league playing QB for him.  I'm not saying he's not a capable coach, but he's had a lot of help in his successes... I honestly don't know enough about him to be able to say one way or the other.  

1 minute ago, OVCChairman said:

I would absolutely be for looking to one of these high powered coordinators...

My pause though is that you have to remember he's got one of the best QBs in the history of the league playing QB for him.  I'm not saying he's not a capable coach, but he's had a lot of help in his successes... I honestly don't know enough about him to be able to say one way or the other.  

yeah that's right he does have Brees running the show, I guess I was more focused on the scheme , and his playbook.

2 minutes ago, Sknsnation said:

yeah that's right he does have Brees running the show, I guess I was more focused on the scheme , and his playbook.

well the other side of that conversation is that someone like that has watched a HOF player for the last 8 seasons, so he's got an idea of what it takes to be successful.  I'm not knocking your suggestion, I actually really like the idea because he's been their playcaller since 16' and been the OC since 09.  He's not a flash in the pan coordinator who's shown a season of marginal success.

It does make you wonder why nobody else has really gone after him, or why it hasn't been more publicized.  A Sean Payton disciple could be HUGE in regards to play calling and ingenuity. 

1 minute ago, OVCChairman said:

well the other side of that conversation is that someone like that has watched a HOF player for the last 8 seasons, so he's got an idea of what it takes to be successful.  I'm not knocking your suggestion, I actually really like the idea because he's been their playcaller since 16' and been the OC since 09.  He's not a flash in the pan coordinator who's shown a season of marginal success.

It does make you wonder why nobody else has really gone after him, or why it hasn't been more publicized.  A Sean Payton disciple could be HUGE in regards to play calling and ingenuity. 

yeah that was in my thought process also....oh no I never took that you were knocking it at all.

We need a type A personality, someone who is so structured they get mad at their wife when she moves the toothbrush.

Attention to detail and the ability to innovate, that person won't be a household name, just as Sean Mcvay wasn't a household name when he was hired.

How do we find that person and do we need outside help when we go on our search?

34 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

We need a type A personality, someone who is so structured they get mad at their wife when she moves the toothbrush.

Attention to detail and the ability to innovate, that person won't be a household name, just as Sean Mcvay wasn't a household name when he was hired.

How do we find that person and do we need outside help when we go on our search?

We already did (Sean) and didn't know it.  How many chances like that do you get?

How do we find a young Bobby Beathard?  That's what we need first.

7 hours ago, Kilmer17 said:

If Gruden is still the coach next year, Dan will see an even less filled fedex and Norman and Co will hear be able to hear the boos even clearer.

We seem to be the only franchise left that thinks it takes 5-6 years for a coach to turn a team around.  It's as if Snyder cant see what other teams are able to do.  Or more probably, he doesnt care.

Case in point, Bears' Matt Nagy.  john Fox won 14 games in his 3 years as head coach.  Noone was expecting the Bears to do much this year in Nagy's first year.  He has the Bears at 8-3 and they are winning the North.

It can be done with the right coach.

9 hours ago, bakedtater1 said:

To each their own, I respect your choice... If we do win the division and host a playoff game I don't see why he should go... And you're exactly right it is very possible we don't win another game.. because I am a REALISTIC I envision this happening.. leading to a complete house cleaning by Snyder... But I'm going to stay on the positive side that the refs pull their head out of their ass start calling fair games and we win the division.

To each his own indeed.  I am not ever going to root for this team to lose.

The team will be in the playoff hunt probably until the final game, unless we just crash. Gruden has a ceiling. Keeping him, even with a playoff berth, just delays the inevitable.  With a stronger NFC East next year; the Skins will fall back to 3rd or 4th place and it will be more of the same.  It's been 5 years, it's time to movie one.

Coaches get fired, even if they make playoffs all the time.

We saw it with the Titans last year and they won a playoff game. Chargers went 14-2 under Marty and they fired him, because he kept on losing in the playoffs. There comes a time, when you realize you have to on.  You see it every game, why this team needs to move on; once the season ends.

9 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

Harbaugh won't leave college. 

I have the feeling harbaugh wants to get back to the NFL.  He was so close to a ring after turning around a very poor niners team and got canned due to personality conflict instead of lack of success.  I think he wants to prove he can win a super bowl.  And this year is Michigan's best shot, they lose a lot of talent to the NFL after this year.  

I'm willing to bet harbaugh is back in the NFL next year, whether it be with the skins or not.  

Skins can hire jim, bring John on as ST coordinator after the Ravens can him, Tomsula DC, Callahan oc.  Championship!!!

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I could see Saban wanting nothing to do with the Redskins and that would make sense to me.  Also, I get the whole Alabama rules the state-Saban has it made argument.   Heck I even went to an Alabama game myself this year.  Hobnobbed with many Alabama fans at the hotel and in the stands.  So I get the culture a little.  But as for the NFL at large, there is some speculation that Saban wants to show that the Dolphins gig was an anomaly and he coveted the Giants job last year but got to Mara too late to convey his interest.  There were articles written about it -- as to it being true or not, got no idea but there were some reports on it.

Interesting.  I would be interested in Harbaugh and saban, maybe Lincoln Riley bc he is a young offensive mind, but other than that I hope they go after an up and coming nfl offensive coordinator over a college coach.

The only things Dan cares about is making money and his image.  Another year of JAy, means fewer people in the stands.  Less merchanside being bought.  Yeah, Dan makes plenty on the TV deal alone but all those side sources of income will start drying up.  FedEx will remain an empty husk or just full of other teams fans.

A collasp will definitely do it. If noone shows up, for a team still in the playoff hunt; what will Dan do.  What is the final game vs Eagles is important. Say the Skins need to win, to get a playoff berth.  What if few people come to such a game, with high stakes. Dan won't like that.

Dan needs to realize, he needs to make changes.    Bruce Allen has utterly failed him.  You can fire Bruce tomorrow.

Dan Snyder will NEVER hire the traditional GM and let the GM pick the coach.

When Dan does go searching for that next head coach, based on his past history; he's going after big name.

It will either be veteran NFL coach/retread like a John Harbaugh- if available.

A retired NFC coach like say Bruce Cowher. Saw Dan gives him $10/million per year; to lure him out of retirement.

Or it will be a college coach:

Jim Harbaugh- who was an NFL head coach, Lincoln Riley- Oklahoma's head coach.

That's type of coach, Snyder will hire next and the next coach will then hire some GM type person to assist on personnel. A big name is what's up on the Snyder hiring cycle.

42 minutes ago, dyst said:

I am ready for a new coach BUT as others have said, we need a new GM also.

As far as the GM argument, I understand the disdain for Allen and wanting him out of the equation for many reasons.  But would naming Kyle smith or Eric schaffer GM really be a change?  They have a lot of involvement as it stands today, and maybe an overhaul would be better.  And do we really need change from a roster building perspective?  Our drafts have been pretty solid the past couple years imo.  

If it were my call, I'd stay on the path we are on and name Kyle smith GM, and give Eric schaffer a nice title and salary to make sure he stays on.  Try to find a role for Doug Williams, but he is easily replaceable imo.  He is a great guy and is a sentimental favorite, but I'm not sure how much he brings to the table behind the scenes.  Fire Bruce Allen.  Hire jim harbaugh.  

One thing when considering a new coach, how attractive is the Skins job?

Let's look at the potential competition:

NFC East

Cowboys: Looks like we maybe saving Garret's job for now anyway. If both the Skins and Boys have an opening; I think the Boys would be the more attractive job. A better team, even with the meddling owner- Jerry Jones.  IT depends on whether Jerry would want another puppet or not?  As of now, I'd say the Boys are the better job.

NFC North 

Packers:   Mike Mccarthy has wasted the prime of Aaron Rodgers.  Even though he's been a little injury prone, he still has something left in the tank. Packers with Aaron Rodgers is a far better job than us. 

NFC South   

Bucs:  They are mess.  It maybe time to move on from Winston. If they do, who's their QB?  They play in the very tought NFC South.  I think the Skins job would be better than Tampa; as you would have a better chance of competiting.

NFC West 

Cards:  Wilks could be one and done. Their GM could be let go also. Time for a clean slate in Arizona.  They do have a young QB to develop.  I think should this job open up, it would be more attractive than the Skins job.

Seahawks:  The team's owner died, so a new owner will be coming eventually.  Maybe Peter Carroll retires?  Uncertain future, depends on what happens with ownership.  If this job opens up, even with the uncertainity of ownership; it's a better job than us.

AFC West:

Broncos:  Joseph is probably gone.  Casey Keenum hasn't been that great.  I would put this at a draw, between us & the Broncos.

AFC South:

Jaguars:  Oh so close to a superbowl last year and just horrible this year. Made the wrong decision to keep Bortles. A new coach and a new QB and maybe they can revert to their 2017 form.  I think this job would be better than us.

AFC North:

Browns: A real GM. Baker Mayfield.  You see flashes this year.  This team has bright future for a change. Clearly, the better job than us.

Ravens: The Harbaugh era comes to an end, if they miss the playoffs.  Eric Decosta is taking over for GM and they have their post Flacco QB, Lamar Jacskson. I think this job, is better than the Redskins.

AFC East:

Jets:  Sam Darnold is their to develop. Probably, in a better position to step up than Buffalo and Miami; once the Brady era is over. This job is better than the Skins. 

Dolphins: Adam Gase hasn't done much there.  Ryan Tannenhill isn't a long term answer.  If this job comes open, I think we are the better option.

So, most the potential openings are better than us but It hink we can still find a decent coach, hopefully and don't have worry about the next one for 4-5 years. 4-5 years is the normal lifespan of a Snyder head coach.

38 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

Interesting.  I would be interested in Harbaugh and saban, maybe Lincoln Riley bc he is a young offensive mind, but other than that I hope they go after an up and coming nfl offensive coordinator over a college coach.

I've watched my share of Oklahoma games including the game right now.

I get the idea of Riley as an offense coordinator. The team though has a great QB with many weapons and lots of speed including one of my 2019 draft crushes in Marquise Brown.  But the big 12 defenses are atrocious including Oklahoma's. So wonder how easy it is to judge a Big 12 head coach like him, period as to translation to the NFL.

Archived